Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,764
    edited December 1969

@Jamahoney http://www.daz3d.com/forums/smileys/#

@newrigel: Yes, time. Where can I buy some?

@timothybateman: rings look very good. Indeed, I like the second one better too.

@David Brinnen: Glad you took up this challenge! Most are amazing, but I like the last one best. Keep it coming and we will all probably watch the video!

@GussNemo: Terrain looks very good. I also like the way the light plays on the terrain. Maybe somewhat more definition in the textures might help make it even better.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

hansmar said:
    @David Brinnen: Glad you took up this challenge! Most are amazing, but I like the last one best. Keep it coming and we will all probably watch the video!

Yeah... but... just don't expect it to be simple. There is an overarching strategy that can be employed, but unfortunately due to all the variables (even though we are only dealing with potentially three objects and some light), each scene has to be adjusted on a case by case basis. Lighting, materials, water, modify materials, create another terrain from first terrain, set up materials, match materials and fiddle with lighting.

P59_example_scene5_wip2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 701K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@David- the scene looks brilliant :) ...the only downfall i can see, is that the water looks flat... i think you nailed the texture, that looks perfect in my opinion...it just looks a little out of place on a flat surface that close to the camera, but! that said i still think it looks amazing :) ty for sharing.

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

GussNemo:
    Thanks that will for surly help
    you have got to be loving the results your getting from your terrains! I know I do!

David:
    the water edges are working so well!

mermaid010:
    your welcome for the tire, I would love to see any scenes you make up with it in.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

I thought i would have a try at the stacked terrain effect, this is my results for my first try :)

stacked_terrain_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 364K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you very much. Different skies seem to affect material on stacked terrains more than a regular terrain. Perhaps it's because of the three materials being used. I'd be more satisfied with my two latest if I could do a better sky and general lighting. Two areas which need a lot of work, and knowledge.

@David: You're getting real nice results with your water meeting land scenes. The last one is particularly nice.

@mermaid: Thanks. I find it odd I'm getting better results with stacked terrains than with regular terrains. Guess it's because there's more to play around with.

@hansmar: Thank you. Oh those last two aren't finished yet, they're still in the WIP mode. I will continue playing around with the material, and setting for the materials, until I get what I'm after.

@dana: Thank you, glad you're enjoying them. And yes, I am enjoying the results.

@timothybateman: Nice results for that stacked terrain. Love the reflection on the water.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,034
    edited December 1969

hansmar said:

Yeah... but... just don't expect it to be simple. There is an overarching strategy that can be employed, but unfortunately due to all the variables (even though we are only dealing with potentially three objects and some light), each scene has to be adjusted on a case by case basis. Lighting, materials, water, modify materials, create another terrain from first terrain, set up materials, match materials and fiddle with lighting.

David - the renders are amazing. Looking forward to a video soon.

Timothybateman: Nice results using the stacked terrains.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited July 2014

Well, I can see a lot of great renders here! All and all are the proof that Bryce is still alive!

Here is my last war between the software and... me... it has been a real challenge to compose this scene, a hard work to put each elements at a right place to provide the best and efficient final picture.

I've use instancing lab several time to ground the burned grass and have several crash of course...

Once again it's some Xfrog plants (USA southwest bundle) to provide the best result but this time, to save memory as much as I can, I've use meshlab to decimate some polygons before using objects in Bryce.

The all scene is taking about 3,4 Gb of memory with L.A.A on. T.A render at 64 rays/pix and 4 rays depth. Boost light and scattering correction on. Only 18 hours to render at this résolution. Minor post work (contrast, color adjustment) with photoshop.

Cloudscape is from David Brinnen and come with Bryce Pro Cloudscapes 3.

Now I'm rendering it at the widest size of 4000x2250 pixels and the final result will be available for download and for free on my deviantart profile here : www.c-ramgfx.deviantart.com.

Hope you like it.

Cacti_Way.jpg
    1700 x 1100 - 1M
    Post edited by c-ram on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

@C-ram, excellent job on the sunlight lighting up the needles of the cholla cactus! Looks just like the real thing, I think.

@timothybateman, very relaxing image.

In the totally-not-relaxing-in-any-way department, here's my most recent Bryce image. The contest theme was "Abandoned", and I started with these strange abandoned alien constructs, one of which still seems to have the power on after all these years. I'm not sure if I got it clear that it's floating and the others have thudded to the ground or not without explaining that. As sometimes happens, the end result ended up being quite different from the idea in my mind that I started with; it got a big creepy with the lighting and old spacesuit with something growing out of it. I have no idea what the lady is doing there, I think she got lost from a 70's low budget sci-fi film set.

abandoned,_reduced.png
    1400 x 875 - 1M
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

Been watching this thread with great interest and there's some fabulous artwork being published. WoW is all I can say! I'm so inspired!!!!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,160
    edited December 1969

@David - great work on the water.

@timothybateman - that's a nice landscape.

@Marco - wow, another beauty from you.

@Sean - interesting non-mainstream scene. You've found a new use of The Core.

edited December 1969

C-Ram - wow a stunning render as usual

Sean - not sure if it's a space scene or underwater one, whatever it's awesome.

edited December 1969

Thanks. It's supposed to be air... the sky is clogged with some nasty smoke/cloud combo that nearly chokes out all the light (possibly the reddish is reflection of distant lights from the underside, or not, I really hadn't decided), and the greenish glowing fog is probably something toxic, perhaps radioactive, not sure exactly what it is.

edited December 1969

Here's another go of my previous Gold Veins. I added a couple of Stonemason's Greeble City Blocks, two moons and moved the sun around a bit. I call it Glowing Lake.

GlowingLake.jpg
    1000 x 619 - 132K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Here's another go of my previous Gold Veins. I added a couple of Stonemason's Greeble City Blocks, two moons and moved the sun around a bit. I call it Glowing Lake.

Nice! And thanks for the tree document over in the other thread, I've just downloaded that and will have a read through when I get a chance. Having a quick visual list of the various tree types will be handy to quickly select something closer to what one wants rather than having to close your eyes and guess, or try going through them all each time.
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,764
    edited December 1969

@david brinnen: Of course. But don't we love a challenge? The latest shoreline render is marvelous!

@timothybateman: love your terrain. Specifically the light in the water. Looks very real.

@GussNemo: OK, I see. I'll have to be patient to wait for the final result. Looking forward to it!

@c-ram: What a great desert scene. Looks hot to me! Sorry bout the crashes, but he, this is Bryce (and you were instancing too)!

@Sean Riesch: Very nice render. The fact that one thing is floating is partly hidden by things in front. The others could be floating as well. If I were you, I would send the lady home. I think she distracts the viewers a bit from the overall scene, though she does provide depth. Looks like the dead man is growing some weed in his mouth!

@Horo: Very good render. I really love the minimal light on the terrain that brings out the gold veins in some places very well.

So, I did another 'simple' terrain render. Created the heightmap in a drawing program Artrage (just to see how that works). Found some nice look of it. Used two implementations of the terrain, one with a little higher resolution so I could play a little more with the textures. I was not willing to wait for a render with true ambience based on IBL, so I decided to use a fill light instead to put somewhat more light on the dark parts. Don't really know why it all became so grainy, but the textures do look a bit like vegetation I think.

island3.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 1M
    edited July 2014

Thanks. It's supposed to be air... the sky is clogged with some nasty smoke/cloud combo that nearly chokes out all the light (possibly the reddish is reflection of distant lights from the underside, or not, I really hadn't decided), and the greenish glowing fog is probably something toxic, perhaps radioactive, not sure exactly what it is.

Sean - air - green fog, thanks, perhaps radioactive, well we need to stay away.

Horo- another beautiful render.

Hansmar – I love your simple scene.

Trying to understand lighting and the IBL, I started working with Horo’s videos.

Bryce 7 Using IBL Part 1 of 2

Bryce 7 Using IBL Part 2 of 2

My results according to 2nd video. I like the results I got. For the Light from Inside and the sphere, I ended with a black image, so I would need to check some videos on Light from Inside. The last example with the landscape I have yet to try.

iblex3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 42K
    iblex2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 18K
    iblex1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 33K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@c-ram: That's a great looking scene. Definitely not one to go barefoot through the park.

@Sean: That's an interesting scene. A bit dark for my taste, but you are the artist.

@Horo: Wow, such a great change from the first image. The little you did really changes the atmosphere.

@mermaid: Really nice results following the tutorials. I can't remember those two tutorials, or if I worked them, but maybe increasing the Maximum Ray Depth would help remove the black from the center you spoke of.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,046
    edited December 1969

A render I've been working on.

Fire Dance

I'm not sure which one I prefer but none of the two are what I am looking for :)

ogres-fire-dance-002.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 428K
    ogres-fire-dance-001.jpg
    1000 x 556 - 474K
    edited July 2014

Thanks Guss - these are not tutorials per se. Horo is explaining the features of the IBL and it's on an older version of Bryce. I hope this time round something sticks. There are other videos too on IBL which I will start viewing soon.

Sandy - Welcome to the forum, both renders are nice but I like the 2nd one more.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Ever given a thought to using double sided tape? That way things would stick coming and going. ;-)

@Sandy: Welcome to the forum, hope to see more of your work. I, personally, like your first image because of the better hint of background mountains, trees, and moon. What distracts my eye is the blue band of haze just below the background. Me, myself, and I, would either eliminate it all together or apply color to match the background. Those figures really look nice.

edited December 1969

Thank you for the welcome and kind comments :)

edited December 1969

@hansmar - a nice and friendly landscape.

@mermaid010 - I like the first most. Very nice reflections.

@Jamie - thank you. Light can make a huge difference.

@Fishtales - welcome to these forums. Great renders. The first has the better contrast and colour saturation and the second looks like the fire is a bit smoky. Depending on what this scene is about, either one will work. One thing disturbs me though: there are no shadows.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

@Fishtales - welcome to these forums. Great renders. The first has the better contrast and colour saturation and the second looks like the fire is a bit smoky. Depending on what this scene is about, either one will work. One thing disturbs me though: there are no shadows.

The fire is two volume lights with a fire volume texture, which I modified, added as a gel to each. Shadows are turned off until I can get the atmosphere to do what I want it too. At the moment it isn't playing ball :) It only took a few hours to put together but it is a long render at the moment :)

edited December 1969

Guss – the understanding is zero, retaining is zero, the only option left is playing with the different settings and just having fun. :)

Thanks Horo.

edited December 1969

@mermaid: I can relate with your difficulties, been there, am there, done that. There are videos I watch some time ago I hadn't a clue what was being presented. Now if I go back and watch some of those same videos I've a better understand what's being said. That doesn't mean I'm able to apply it yet, just have a better understanding. Right now I'm playing around with the lighting for the last two stacked terrains I did, using the Lava fractal. I've tried different skies but none are ringing and bells. I've a feeling I'll have to do some creative editing of a sky, or create my own, in order to get what I'm after. More than likely I'll end up going back to some past videos to get information that will help me get what I'm after. This time, though, because of more water under the bridge, I'll have a better understanding of what's being said. And, of course, because I want the information.

edited December 1969

Thanks Guss, it seems we are in the same boat. I also view and review the videos. The fourth or fifth time round it makes some sense, not much. :) I'm trying to make some nice landscapes. Nothing worth posting at the moment.

edited December 1969

c-ram:
    very nice! the lighting and positioning is superb as you always seem to get it! I really like the finished look of the border and piece title, very professional indeed

Sean Riesch
    "I think she got lost from a 70’s low budget sci-fi film set." cracked me up pretty good! thanks for that and a great image you have worthy of a sci-fi book cover or better!

Horo:
    Great double planets! and the scene is very balanced just wonderful!

Sean and Horo:
    what tree document are you referencing? sounds like something I need to check out.

hansmar:
    yep, those textures look like vegetation to me for sure. nice balance of the purple/violet and green .

mermaid010:
    nice, looks like your getting it down pretty good,
    I read what you and Guss where saying and ya!, these ones are a bit deep!

Mermaid010 and
    Gussnemo:
    what i found confusing about ibl and lighting, is that some of the controls affect the same qualities in the image, just in a different way, or change one, and it limits another setting; also some of the sliders are not scaled right for the amount of effect they can actually imply. I think this comes down to pure memorization from practice.

Fishtales:
    Welcome to the forum, loads of great help here from many talented artists, I have learned more in the last year than 6 plus years trying to figure Bryce out on my own.
    I saw Horo's comment on the shadows in "ogres-fire-dance-001 and 002", and I hope you keep working on it, its a very cool scene and the lighting and shadow play is going to really make it.
    I am thinking, because it is at night and there is limited ambient light from the moon, and such a strong light in the center and the proximity to the characters, the shadows will be quite stark, almost completely black, very dramatic.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your art!

edited July 2014

to all forum members I have been keeping up with:

I have been asked to help a friend with a presentation for a project start up and its quite involved. i am starting to use Daz characters for the first time and potentially learn how to do rigging, and then possibly animating all those elements
    I wont have much on the forum for awhile, but still dropping in. I cant show any of my W.I.P until the presentation is successful, or he gives the ok to do so in the future

Post edited by dana365 on
    edited December 1969

dana365 said:
    Sean and Horo:
    what tree document are you referencing? sounds like something I need to check out.

The document is http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/BTO-Trees.pdf 1 . Horo posted a comment and a link over in the current Trees Bryce render challenge thread, http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/43579/P45 and scroll down a bit.
This discussion has been closed.