Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Works kept me busy but I've still not stopped experimenting when I got the chance. Nice to see that this thread is ploughing along with a lot of very different ideas at the same time. Bryce is more than a landscaper, though that is what it is know for to be fair.

Special thanks to Art for plugging the practical Bryce, though I feel a little bit sorry for the pig. I hope it was slaughtered humanely with a captive bolt and prior to that was allowed to roam free in the daylight?

And Mermaid for giving the lenses a go. The extra wide angle lens really does some amazingly bizzare things to any scene. I just love that tunnel effect for some reason.

So... right, a couple of renders for you all to ponder. I'm going to try and not put any idea's in your mind as to which I think is best. Maybe I don't think one is best. But there is a difference in the approach to lighting the scenes and I am curious if anyone has any views on that difference. Or if they are, to your view, largely equal.

Edit, oh and Timothybateman, your sea shore scene looks better than the tutorial!

I think I prefer the first one

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,165
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - thank you. Yes indeed, the terrain(s) and material(s) are one thing, the lighting is the other. It can make a huge difference how the material looks. To bring the geometry out, you need a key light (the sun). Your setup has great potential. Concentrate on lighting and see how it changes.

@David - nice shore setups. I'm definitely for the first. Geometry of the terrain comes better into view and the the colour of grassy patches seem a tadd better to me. It may be because the contrast on the first is higher. Admittedly, the difference is subtle and I would cheer either of them if there were no possibility to compare.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,038
    edited December 1969

David- thanks I still have to work with the scene files and the videos, in the lens and filters pack. I prefer the 1st render, I like the lighting. Actually both are lovely.

Art-thanks I also have a long way to go learning Bryce. Maybe you can still enter the forest render in the new challenge.

Horo – thanks, I am concentrating on the lighting now, I just tweaked the materials a bit.

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

fencepost52:
    Thank you, not sure if you missed it, but David has posted 5 or more uv mapping video tutorials, from basic to complicated, when your ready for uv mapping, great place to start
    Roasting pig is a great image, I really like the coals, but wheres the crank handle on the spit? maybe I will bring one with me when I bring the soup over.
    Love the orb in the forest excellent lighting

timothybateman:
    like fencepost, I would also like to see how you got the wet sand if its easy enough to explain/share.

Horo:
    thank you, photo real is what that whole endeavor was about and I am super pleased with it, thanks again!
    the "EarlyEvening" terrain is very nice, I have seen snow that looks blue in the shadows, or certain times of the evening. I also like the 10.5 by 7 aspect ratio.

GussNemo:
    thank you, I am so happy with the shadows, and now that I have wrapped my head around how to get them.

David:
    Those two are lit very similar, if I had to choose one for printing, I think "P59_example_scene_wip4" has slightly warmer color most obvious in the greens and the smoother coast area. It seems to have more yellow in the light. while the first one is a little colder, or seems to have a little blue in there. Both are wonderful

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the feedback. So what I did with the first one was split the lighting between diffuse and specular but in the case of the specular component use a bight (wide) specular halo. This can be used to create a "toon" effect - so it's sort of a way of enhancing the geometry edges. So... that's my idea, it, like many aspects of setting up lighting and materials is a bit fiddly. Hence the testings. Partly to see if it works, but also, to see if it works well enough to warrant the extra effort involved in setting it up.

P59_example_scene_wip5.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 643K
    edited December 1969

David- I hope you do make a video on this sometime. For me setting up the lighting and materials is not a bit fiddly but very fiddly. lol

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

i had another test render, this time just tweaked the lighting a little and had a play around with depth of field :) ....also for those who wanted the wet sand info..i checked and im just using the wet sand material that is in "pro material's" ...i haven't altered it, accept for the ambient in the material, i removed all ambient...i hope that helps :)

Ocean_Veiw_horse_3.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 126K
    edited December 1969

@David - I like the way the HDRI lights the shadowy parts of the rock walls.

@timothybateman - I'm not sure DOF is an improvement for this scene, the birds get lost.

Here's another of my attempts to use three stacked terrains with different materials. Everything is from the hi-res terrain set two. It's called Dry Valley.

DryValley.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 187K
    edited December 1969

@horo- thats a goid point about the birds! hmm...i will try somthing else :) ...and that stacked terrain scene looks great, i might have to experiment with that as well, i have had a look at your high res terrain pack...i think it might be well worth buying, i know a few people who also might be interested in something like that, so i will share the Daz store info with them :)

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Your concerns are the same I run into, size and camera position. Your recent scene looks nice, though have you thought of lightning the terrain material to help bring out the overall shape of the terrain? When I create a stacked terrain, I'll play with several material settings until I'm satisfied with not only the material but how it helps define the terrains.

@Art: Ah, no, no disclaimer to sign. And don't put a disclaimer before your images. What would be the fun in doing that. So you're proposing a Where is Gussmo on Gussland? That would give the tourists something to do.

@David: Those are wonderful landscapes. I like how the second, of the first two, has that slight shelf off the shore line, but like the foliage in your third scene.

@timothybateman: That image gets better each time I see it. My own personal thought would be to bring out more definition of the rocks on the right. Try and bring out divots, holes, and the like. But that's just me.

@Horo: Another beautiful work. What strikes me with your and David's landscapes are the vertical faces you both achieve. I've tried forming those but usually end up with mush. Is there a method to your madness in creating vertical faces?

edited December 1969

@gussnemo- im open to suggestions so i will try it out just to see what it looks like :)

edited December 1969

@timothybateman: Me personally, would first try adjusting the material settings for the material used for the rocks. I've had luck in the past doing this when I want to bring out a bit more detail on something.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,765
    edited December 1969

@Jamahoney: Ugly penguin! http://www.daz3d.com/forums/smileys/#

@dana365. Thanks. experimenting is key for me. Though I like to learn from others who know much more than me too, of course!
    And your junkfood packages look good. Would not want to eat the razorblade, though!

@fencepost52. Thanks. I think I agree with you, though I like the upside-down squashed one too.
    Great coals, but poor piggy. Must have been empty! Your metal bowl render really looks like a photo. Very good use of the leaves in the background!

@Horo. Thanks. Both landscapes our good, but I like the one from today most, because for me the one from July 8 was a bit too dark.

@GussNemo: Many thanks. I just wish I had a new computer. Setting up this kind of variation is very quick, but rendering takes too long now.

@mermaid010. Indeed, lights and material are very important. I agree with others that you could put some more interesting light on your scene to bring out details. And your material is rather 'patchy'. I think you might want to use a higher frequency on the from terrain.

@David Brinnen: No way: photos again! I like the contrast on the rocks a bit better on number one, but the colour of the grass in number 2. No. 3 is rather dark on the sunlit parts. And just add a little breaking (small) waves / spray / froth, because even with a very calm sea, you will always see some effect of the collision of water with rock. I know you can do it!

@timothybateman. I like the horse better in your new render, but the rocks are a bit too dark maybe?

Finally, more of my experiment renders!

* Icebergs0; the original view in a rather low quality render (wanted some more speed)
    * Icebergsclose2: A zoomlens type of lens, as you can see
    * Icebergscloselens: Very close-up view. I think this is the one where I turned the camera away from the terrain and used a curved mirror in front of it
    * icebergabstract: Yes, this is the same terrain, but with a distorting lens or lenses. Did not save the Bryce file, so can't check.
    And now for something completely Python:
    * Icebergs3: A simple curved lens, but with a crystal texture instead of simple glass. Weird result, but I like it!

iceberg3.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 1010K
    icebergabstract.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 713K
    icebergcloselens.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 938K
    icebergclose2.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 1M
    iceberg0.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 1M
    edited December 1969

timothybateman:
    aah, thanks for the location, and tip on the wet sand.
    I am a sucker for dof photos, so I like how it worked in your scene, I do miss the birds though they were a very nice detail

Horo:
    Deep,Deep,Deep scene it looks like it goes on forever just lovely

hansmar:
    texture in side simple glass, very interesting, the very last one reminds me of oil on water reflecting light.

• cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited July 2014

Great work by all the artists here - Really loving the hires terrains, David and Horo!

I'm having some trouble getting volumetric light working on one of my projects. I have a scene with some text that is a terrain (pic 1), and I'm trying to shine a spotlight through the letter 'o' in the text to create light beams streaming out. I've used volume light before in outdoor scenes with some success, but I can't seem to get the effect working here. I have the spotlight inside the 'o' (pic 2), and pic 3 shows the Light Lab settings I'm using. Just can't seem to get the light rays to show up.

Can anyone see what I'm missing here? I've tried Linear and Squared Falloff and several different intensities - Tried changing to Surface light instead of volume...

Thanks!

joe

screen-3.jpg
    640 x 476 - 179K
    screen-2.jpg
    600 x 389 - 165K
    screen-1.jpg
    249 x 156 - 66K
    Post edited by cjreynolds on
    edited December 1969

@hansmar: Like your latest experiment images, especially 1st, 3rd, and 4th. The 5th looks like oil on water.

@cj: I can't give you any specific suggestions, since I don't have any, but while reading your post I wondered if something within that 'O' is blocking the light. Have you tried hiding everything but that 'O' in order to see if the light can be seen in the 'O'? Just an idea.

edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Still fiddling with the lighting and materials of my last render, the balancing act is a bit difficult. ;)

Timothybateman – the shoreline render gets better and better.

Horo- you and David are an awesome team. Love this latest render.

Hansmar – very nice work with lenses. I like the 2nd and 4th ones, it gives me an idea to use an old render with one of Horo’s lens.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited July 2014

Can anyone see what I'm missing here? I've tried Linear and Squared Falloff and several different intensities - Tried changing to Surface light instead of volume...

Thanks!

joe

I believe that Volumetric lights are broken and don't work correctly.
    I'd suggest using Dan's Fog material instead and just a regular spot light.

Edit: Still not finding much time for Bryce recently (something I will have to remedy for the latest Render Challenge).
    But here is the latest Bryce render done last week.

GothFairyClose.jpg
    650 x 650 - 262K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

Thanks!

joe

I believe that Volumetric lights are broken and don't work correctly.
    I'd suggest using Dan's Fog material instead and just a regular spot light.

I've seen several references to Dan's Fog material, but where can I download it from?

edited December 1969

@Dave: Nice work.

@cj: I remember seeing a post about it in one of the previous show us your render threads. Which one I can't say. My guess is that Pam will give you a direct link to the right post. She's good at that.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@cj: I remember seeing a post about it in one of the previous show us your render threads. Which one I can't say. My guess is that Pam will give you a direct link to the right post. She's good at that.

Not this time I am afraid, I have been trying to find it myself.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    GussNemo said:

Not this time I am afraid, I have been trying to find it myself.

I think I found the original post (with the help of Google):

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5266/P15/#68918 :)

edited July 2014

I think I found the original post (with the help of Google):

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5266/P15/#68918 :)

Yup, that's the one. :-)

Edit: If you want to see a great example of the technique in action, David did a video tutorial using Dan's Fog here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-lDcqH78Is

edited December 1969

@cj: Good deal you found it.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 851
    edited December 1969

Very impressive pictures here!

I am afraid, I had not a lot of time for Bryce recently. But at least I managed to download and install the Genesis 2 character in DAZ Studio. I exported it in the OBJ format and made a render in Bryce. I like the Genesis 2 character, because I had less postwork in Bryce with it (only with the eyes).

vonunten2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 50K
    edited December 1969

@timothybateman - thank you.

@GussNemo - thank you. Vertical faces, well, in the greyscale map, you need sharp black/white (or black/grey or grey/white) transtitions. Then, you may have to go for a high area to height ratio, perhaps more than 4:1, the Bryce default.

@hansmar - thank you. Interesting lens experiments. I like the last one best.

@cjreynolds - your settings for Diffuse and Specular may be a bit high. Exit the light lab and enter the Mat lab for this light and you can tweak the visible light quite nicely. The Image and Procedural buttons only work for Flare, which seems to be a bug to me.

An alternative to Dan's fog (nothing wrong with it, quite to the contrary, I'm just mentioning an alternative) would be the Streaming Rays from Denny Markovic aka Frozencry which is freely available from here http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=1144. It renders fast because it is not a volume material - and hence not suited for everything.

@mermaid010 - thank you.

@Dave - the lady with the violet hair looks nice. The skin is quite good for Bryce, though there's some noise.

@electro-elvis - that genesis 2 lady looks great. The hair came out particularly well, the skin may like to have a wee bit more specular. On the whole, however, I haven't accomlished such a skin and hair yet.

Here's another of those multi-resolution/multi-material renders. Everything is from set 2 but the lake needed a hyper texture to get the specular from the sun on it. It's called Gold Veins.

GoldVeins.jpg
    1000 x 619 - 163K
    edited July 2014

Horo said:
    @Dave - the lady with the violet hair looks nice. The skin is quite good for Bryce, though there's some noise.

Thanks Horo and yes, there is a lot of noise. The hair is multi layered with trans maps and even at low RPP, it took over 6 hours to render. I just don't have the time or capacity at the moment for anything taking much longer than that.

Great work on the terrains BTW. You and David are still doing miracles with Bryce! :)

edited December 1969

@electro: That new figure is much better looking than the original. The facial features seem more life like, to me.

@Horo: Thanks for the information. I'll have a go at it and see what results. That landscape really turned out nice.

edited July 2014

Horo:
    "Gold Veins" is beautiful! well done!

electro-elvis:
    Gen 2 character looks very life like nicely done.

TheSavage64:
    great looking features.

ok, I managed to get too the UV Mapping torus 2nd and 3rd video tutorial, and, as I couldn't help myself, I did this tire called Dana365 All Weather

Dana365_All_Weather_Tire_in_front_of_stacks001.jpg
    1024 x 762 - 626K
    Post edited by dana365 on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,765
    edited December 1969

@dana365, GussNemo, mermaid010, Horo: Thanks, I see the opinions on likeability vary. I personally am with Horo on the last one. Such a weird one and I really like the very dark patch at the bottom that tries to draw in all the light :)

@dana365. Nice tires. Maybe not my size. And, they are a bit light. Usually tires are more black.

@TheSavage64: I like this render, specifically the shadow or her hair in her face.

@electro-elvis: Another nice lady. Well rendered. Peculiar point of view (like you are a cat, looking up at her).

@Horo: Like your new render. But I do wonder what the lighter water patch is and how it came to be. Looks a bit strange.

This discussion has been closed.