Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 7

Comments

• dana365dana365 Posts: 131
    edited December 1969

here I have the soft shadows I wanted plus used an HDRI sky, to get the right amount of shadow intensity

Kraft_Crack_junky_can_hdri_sky_soft_shdw.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 907K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited July 2014

@Horo: Thanks twice. Once for my forgotten bridge image, and one for the creating a terrain by drawing a line. And, um, yeah, you're right. It's as clear as the stream in my latest scene. At least to me. Annnddd, I'm guessing you did use Bryce for this procedure. But thanks none the less.

@Jay: Thank you. I love the colors you chose in that scene.

@dana: Appreciate you kind words. And no, I didn't forget, but my I had to wait. Your latest box image does have softer shadows, but an overall higher intensity.

Post edited by GussNemo on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,186
    edited December 1969

@Jay - thank you. Beautiful psychodelic inspired scene.

@Dana - No, that's just lines and from these mountains spread. I did once copy the 20 m isohypses from an ordonance survey map and filled in the steps with 16 different shades of grey. I had written a program to filter those coarse steps. This program, Iso2Gray, is still available on my website under Raytracing > Tools but it is of no great use anymore. It is limited to 256 x 256 terrains and 257 x 257 for TerraGen. Nowadays, graphics packages can do a lot and a lot better.

The boxes and can look much more real with soft shadows. Bryce handles them quite nice and natural. Problem is noise the more blurred the shadow gets (same thing if DOF is used). Two strategies: increase ray per pixel and increase render time, or use a bumpy ground on which the shadows fall. That can hide the noise and you can get away with less rays per pixel.

@GussNemo - thank you. No, I do not use Bryce for the terrain generation (different programs). Much can be done in the TE and I'm a great fan of the TE but it is too slow for high resolution. I haven't realised for a long time what difference high resolution terrains can make. The picture below shows a raw, unfiltered terrain made with lines.

Guss.jpg
    450 x 600 - 98K
  • GoshtacGoshtac Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As always guys - Some great renders here.

Guss, I really liked the daylight version of your bridge scene. Very nice...

Dana - Great work on the material mapping with your products.

Horo - I read with interest and I might add, it made my brain a bit numb on your terrain info, - No reflection on you as it is late and I always learn some great insights from your tips and techniques so I will be re-reading your info when I am a bit more awake... (Far too many paint fumes today while painting the wife's car probably did not help either... ) ;-)

Since I am here, I wanted to post my latest project - Sort of in Honor of the 4th of July here in the states. I call it " Fire Over Water" - Done in Bryce with no post work but PSP 9 used to create the texture maps for the 2D surfaces in Bryce. I did it as fireworks over the water as that is a tradition in my town where our annual 4th celebration shoots its fireworks out over the lake in the center of town ( We usually have at least several thousand people show up parked around the lake to watch the display )

Have a great week everyone!

Bruce

Edited Note: Was a minor tad bit of post work done actually - Had to crop image slightly as Final image slightly larger than the render view so in final image, it looked like guy was grabbing girls bottom... Did not look real appropriate, so hence the minor crop job... ( Once in my life about 25 years ago I grabbed a ladies bottom and almost got punched out by her - She got even though and ended up marrying me )

Fireworks_over_the_Water_Final_J.jpg
    1509 x 917 - 764K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

im still working on this scene :) ...i have a long way to go before i will be fully satisfied !!! ...but its getting there :)

also, any pointers are welcome! ...im still fairly new to bryce, so any tips would be greatly appreciated thanks :)

Shoreline_with_horse_1.jpg
    1194 x 563 - 417K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,061
    edited December 1969

Art- the swamp looks great

Horo- beautiful renders – love the one with fisheye lens one.

Dave – nice lady butterfly.

Dana – the boxes and pencil are nicely done. UV Mapping is something I haven’t tried yet. I like the last render with the soft shadows alt

Guss – wow the terrain renders are awesome. The daytime version of the bridge is nice too

Jay – very colorful rose and glass

Bruce – lovely fireworks, the render is very nicely done.

Timothybateman- you did a great job with David’s shoreline tutorial, adding the horse was a good idea, looking forward to the final render.

Fun filled weekend with Lens and Filters –I used some of lens on some of my old renders. So far I only used the lens and filters working from Horo’s pdf. Sharing only a few from this weekend’s renders. Looking forward to working with the scene files and videos.

Otherwise, my most favorite tool of all is the wide angle lens Horo came up with in the Lenses and Filters set. I find that very useful for enhancing renders.

Thanks David for suggesting the lens and filters

vigewl180-transform110.jpg
    600 x 600 - 12K
    GWL_01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 133K
    brushstrokefov150.jpg
    600 x 600 - 57K
    ewl02.jpg
    720 x 540 - 47K
    fisheye.jpg
    900 x 675 - 54K
    edited December 1969

@Bruce - that's a very nice render, fireworks look great.

@timothybateman - it comes along nicely. The horse is a great addition and it is superbly posed.

@mermaid010 - hey, you're doing great things with the lenses and filters. Great to see them used for artwork.

I have Snow Patches ready, another one that uses three stacked terrains with different materials from the set.

SnowPatches.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 197K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: I had to laugh when I saw your line terrain example. Cute work. What program do you use to make those terrains? And speaking of works, your newest stacked terrain scene is wonderful. Another question comes to mind about stacked terrains. When the first terrain is created, if filters are used to modify that terrain, will the same effects be applied to the second and third terrains? I tried this once but the effects didn't transfer to the second and third terrains. Perhaps I missed a step in your procedure?

@Bruce: Thank you very much. And I love your latest scene, fireworks are great.

@timothybateman: I agree with Horo about adding the horse and its pose. I noticed something in the air above the horse and was going to ask what they were, but saw in the enlarged version that they are birds.

@mermaid: Thank you. Your latest images are really nice. But I'm easy to impress.;-)

edited December 1969

Horo - thanks I was lucky I caught the special. I like your latest render and I pose the same question as Guss about the stacked terrains and applying filters to them in the TE.

Guss - thanks

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited July 2014

Cheers to all.

Timothbatemann...love it..the reflection is gorgoeus. I'm always one for reflection, so my suggestion is to include more of the horse's reflection, as well as changing its head's position - currently, to this eye anyway, it is someways' lost in its body. So, position it as to 'see' the head more, and pull back to see the reflection (not all, mind) of its body - makes for more dynamism. I hate, really, making suggestions, however, you did ask - one's work is always down to the artist, eventually, of course.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - The two high res terrain sets in the store at this time were made with Geocontrol2, which is not available anymore and I had to purchase the successor. The island terrain set 3 (currently in QA) was made with Worldcreator and the fourth one we're currently working on as well.

@GussNemo + mermaid010 - Stacked terrains made in Bryce: the answer is no and probably yes. The same terrain generated with a lower (or higher) resolution comes without filters, obviously. If you only click on a filter control and do not move the mouse with the depressed left hand mouse button over the control, you can count the number of times you clicked and repeat that for the next terrain. I reckon that ought to work, but I've not yet tried it.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,771
    edited December 1969

Finally found some time for looking at the forum again. What happened: many new pages with great terrains!

@GussNemo: really like your orange landscapes, but many others are nice as well. Specifically # 2 from July 1 and #s 4 and 5 from that day too.

@Jamahoney. Pour penguins. There are too little of them to stay alive out in the cold. But the render is wonderful!

@David Brinnen. More photos on this forum? ;) You keep rendering extremly great stuff.

@timothybateman: love your shoreline and horse. Though I do see the point of the hidden head too.

@bullit35744. wonderful render of the green monster!

@fencepost52: great swamp. Most of my renders never reach that level of detail!

@Horo: fantastic terrain render on July 4. But I did not understand your explanation on the creation of these terrains at all. Must be too tired or so. And the crater view is lovely!

@goshtac: wonderful fireworks!

And all those that I did not mention: keep up the good work. It's just too much to describe everything I like.

And now for something completely different......
    I played with amateuristic home made lenses for making various renders from the same terrain. Most (I think except one) from the same spot, actually. Here are a few. I saved them all to HDR and tonemapped them in Picturenaut.

I would really like to know what you think.

Iceberg1 is NOT the original. This is the one with the modified position. Forgot what type of trick I used. I think a very pointed type of ball.
    Iceberg2 and Icebergs2 are the same render but a slightly different postwork in Picturenaut. This is with a slightly wide angle lens (that;s what it's called I think).
    Icebergsheadsup is a so compressed (in the Y) ball that it actually puts the world upside down. You can see the compression in the lines that ought to be round stars.
    Iceberg4 is one where I put a cone in front of the camera with the tip of the cone towards the camera.

I am still rendering the original for comparison (forgot) and will put it up with a number of more exotic results.

iceberg4.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 710K
    icebergsheadsup.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 625K
    icebergs2dark.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 649K
    iceberg2.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 688K
    iceberg1.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 755K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited July 2014

Hansmar...yeah, Penguins...must surely be the most un-coordinated mammal that we all all cry out to help; to save from falling over ;) Except, of course, when other penguins aren't involved :)

Jay

15g6454656.gif
    152 x 98 - 444K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

thanks for all the kind comments, and i will look at the scene a bit more from the info given to me here you all make very valid points, also it is really interesting to have an opinion from another persons prospective :) ...so thanks again and i will keep posting my progress as i go along :)

edited December 1969

Guss:
    ya i think I went a little to intense on the hdri, I over compensate when working on this monitor and then when I see my work on my other
    machines its always brighter, I know, just turn up my monitor brightness right, nope its maxed and old, I think a new one is in order.

Horo:
    thank you, those are great tips to get around noise, I am going to work a little with D.O.F when I get a chance next, and there is no sense
    in having a nice bokeh in an image if its noisy

Bruce:
    Thank you for the comments, love that image its a great idea and turned out great!, I also laughed pretty hard about how she got even
    with you!

timothybateman:
    wow, the water is fantastic, and the wet sand is perfect, I guess if I was to give any suggestion, and it would only be a creative choice
    not an actual improvement, would be a slight loss of detail in the darker sections of the image (ie. around the horses neck and face
    area).
    if it was a photograph I would say it was under exposed a bit, but like I said its an artists choice, and I have to keep in mind my
    old monitor is dark, so I might just be completely wrong hahaha

mermaid010:
    thank you, really enjoying seeing how these things work, the more examples I see the more I am understanding what lens and filters can do.

hansmar:
    cool that your experimenting so much, I am still amazed at what Bryce can do.

Jay:
    very fun! I know that on land the are absurd, but in the water they are amazingly acrobatic. just got to wonder what the penguin doing
    the slapping was thinking, and I think we all know what the slapped penguin was thinking.

edited July 2014

@ dana365, it's ok...as i said in my previous post, im open to "any" suggestions :) ...i have a pretty heavy duty pc so render time isn't much of an issue for me, all the suggestions i have been given so far i have all ready test renderd :) ...so far so good ;) ...oh incase you were wondering about my pc spec's, intel core i7 4930MX , 32gb G skill ripjaw ram ....and 2X Nvidia GTX780ti ....it hurt the wallet a little, but! worth every dollar in my opinion :D

Post edited by Tim82 on
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you for the information. I'm creating another stacked terrain using a different fractal, so I'll give you idea of hovering and counting the number of mouse clicks to see if it can be reproduced with the next two terrains. It sure would help me have some more real looking terrains.

@hansmar: Thank you, glad you liked them. Really thing those new images are neat. Each one has its own unique qualities.

edited December 1969

timothybateman:
    ya! that is a serious machine you purchased, definitely takes the sting out of changes when it goes fast!

Horo:
    ok this is the last time I badger you all with this image, I am truly happy with it Thank you again for so much help!!

max ray depth 16
    rays per pixel 16
    shadow softness 10
    intensity 5
    HDRI dialed back
    all objects are now proper Wings 3D UV Mapped
    can repositioned in scene for readability

Kraft_Crack_junky_can.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 797K
    edited July 2014

Dana- thanks it's always great to do new things in Bryce. The new render is looking good.

Horo- thanks for the information. I'm back to terrains, materials, lighting.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

Hi, all. Thanks for the comments on the swamp render. I'm not really pleased with the trees, but I'm working on them and also adding a gator. I've taken a little break from that and decided to play around with something else to keep my gray matter active. This inspiration and instructions for this render can be found in David/Horo's Practical Bryce 7.1 Pro Volume 1 (http://www.daz3d.com/practical-bryce-7-1-pro-volume-1). Very good package.

GussNemo's piggy bank got me thinking that I needed to do something with the model so here it is....when the recession hit, things got pretty tight at the fencepost home. Even spare change was hard to come by. We realized that it was nearly impossible to "feed" our pet piggy bank and decided if we can no longer feed him, maybe he can feed us. A good meal was had by all! :D

@dana: Great work on the UV mapping. I keep saying I'm going to do that, but just never have. Guess I need to dig in and go for it.

@guss: Terrains are looking good. I can see that you're progressing nicely. Great work on the bridge scene. And now you've got "Guss Island" named after you. Are you going to be opening that up to tourists?! :D

@horo: What can I say? Your work is brilliant. The way you develop the terrains is amazing and very intriguing. Love the fisheye lens render.

@jama: Love the glass. Are you sure you didn't use some psychedelic "inducers" to help with that render? :)

@goshtac: Very nice fireworks scene. Fireworks look great and the posing of the characters do too...even if you did crop out the butt grab!

@timothy: I love the beach scene and the inclusion of the horse and birds are a very nice touch. I, too, think the wet sand turned out great and am curious to how you did that. Very nice piece. Did you pose the horse in DAZ Studio and then import to Bryce? If so, did you just pose the horse or re-create the scene in DAZ and then import?

@mermaid: Congrats on getting the lens package. Looks like you're having a lot of fun with it. My faves are 3 and 4. Good job.

@hansmar: Good work on the terrains. I like number 3 the best because for me the base terrain and "mountain" terrain both standout in a distinct way. Also like the one with the cone in front of the camera.

PigOnTheFire.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 648K
    edited December 1969

@fencepost, the wet sand ile have a look at the settings for that and try to share :) ...as for the horse, its just the standard Daz milhorse...i just posed it in Daz studio then exported it as a OBJ file :)

edited December 1969

@hansmar - thank you. Very interesting lens experiments.

@Jay - that's a funny one.

@Dana - this last one looks quite photo-real.

@fencepost52 - thank you. So you roasted the piggy bank. The render turned out great.

Here's again an attempt with a terrain in three resolutions and different materials.

EarlyEvening.jpg
    667 x 1000 - 149K
    edited December 1969

@horo, that scene looks amazing,...really great to look at :)

edited December 1969

@horo...Thank you for the compliment. Another fine scene you've done. Maybe too much blue in the snow, but I wouldn't even fix that. The only thing I can't do is "look into the eyes of the sun" (♪ "But, mama, that's where the fun is!" ♪). :)
    @timothy.....Thanks. No hurry on the settings. Just curious.

Exploring the woods at night often reveals what the sun can't show. Such is this glowing orb I came upon during a clear summer night. Usually my evening journeys into the forest are short and along the edge of the treeline to search for hidden treasure. It's not that I'm scared of the dark, but the creatures that hide behind the dark waiting for an unsuspecting soul. But this particular night, a cool breeze drew me into the depths of the canopy, where I was drawn to a light. Afraid at first, my fears soon left me on the wings of the wind. I sought after the light and came upon the mysterious, glowing object. I stood in wonder as I realized the sphere and its energy were a source of life. A single tree grew out of the glow; rooted in nothing and nourished by the unknown. Could this be life? An alien form? A spiritual, yet physical entity? Immediately the breeze stopped and a chill began to overtake me. I had to get out, but what about the treasure?! I snapped this photo and marked my location to recover it in the protection of daylight. The next day I returned to the exact location and the orb, the tree, the light....all were gone. No trace of the energy could be found. The only thing that remains is my bewilderment and this photo..... My search for its meaning shall forever continue.....

;)

Terrain from David/Horo's Seamless Texture Set 2 (http://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-seamless-texture-mix-and-hdr-lighting-set-2); Standard, but modified Bryce trees/shrube; 3D grass downloaded from somewhere on the web; A metal texture from David/Horo's Treppenhalle set; and a little imagination.

Scene.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 986K
    edited December 1969

@dana: That new image does looks better. Shadows are real nice.

@Art: Thanks for the compliments. When I saw what you did with your piggy bank, I was in the process of swallowing when I started laughing. You know, I almost choked. You ever choked while laughing, ain't a pleasant feeling. That's a nice image, as is your second one. As to Gus Island, I think it should be developed first, housing, recreation, the usual stuff, before opened to tourists. Of course, it might be cheaper to offer roughing it camp sites instead.

@Horo: That is a very nice image.

edited December 1969

@timothybateman - thank you.

@Art - thank you. Yes, I had a version with lower saturation from the HDRI to get the snow more natural but I came back to this oversaturated version, I somehow liked it better even though it looks unnatural and exaggerated.
    Great story to a great render. Light is spot on. I like how the forest gets darker in the distance.

@Jamie - thank you.

edited December 1969

Art – thanks, the roasted piggy bank render looks nice but roasting a piggy bank….. ;) The forest render is truly awesome, I would have entered that in the new challenge … Chohole mentioned its trees ... trees, forest ....

Horo – wow a beautiful scene.

I tried using filters as Horo suggested for stacked terrains, but I did not like the results. I took another route generated the 1st terrain – Mordor as 512 then enlarged it to something l liked, duplicated twice and then change the resolution of each one after disabling the 3 random options.

I realized these past few days that materials, lighting and positioning the camera really make the scene. I think even a bad terrain will look great with the right materials and lighting, so that’s what I need to work on.

stackedduplicated.jpg
    600 x 800 - 37K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited July 2014

Works kept me busy but I've still not stopped experimenting when I got the chance. Nice to see that this thread is ploughing along with a lot of very different ideas at the same time. Bryce is more than a landscaper, though that is what it is know for to be fair.

Special thanks to Art for plugging the practical Bryce, though I feel a little bit sorry for the pig. I hope it was slaughtered humanely with a captive bolt and prior to that was allowed to roam free in the daylight?

And Mermaid for giving the lenses a go. The extra wide angle lens really does some amazingly bizzare things to any scene. I just love that tunnel effect for some reason.

So... right, a couple of renders for you all to ponder. I'm going to try and not put any idea's in your mind as to which I think is best. Maybe I don't think one is best. But there is a difference in the approach to lighting the scenes and I am curious if anyone has any views on that difference. Or if they are, to your view, largely equal.

Edit, oh and Timothybateman, your sea shore scene looks better than the tutorial!

P59_example_scene_wip4.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 653K
    P59_example_scene_wip3.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 674K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

@Horo....oh, I still think it looks great. Don't know that I'd say it looks "unnatural", but even if we do say that, art/creativity is all about our own realities and imagination. Thanks for the comments on the orb render. I learned a lot in the process. Only used two light sources: moon and the light in the sphere. No HDRI at all.

@GussNemo....I should have placed a disclaimer on my piggy bank. :D Is there some liability form I should sign in case someone goes to the hospital because of my artwork?! LOL Thanks for the compliments. I was definitely fun to make. I think Horo should hide your avatar on your island someplace and we can play Finding GussNemo. I'll be Dory....I don't speak whale, but I do speak gopher tortoise! Do you need some environmental work done prior to development? I know a good env. guy. ;)

@mermaid: Thank you!! I saw the new contest was going to be trees, but hadn't seen the thread until just now. I'm not sure if it would qualify, but maybe I can expand on it to include more forest components. I definitely agree with you on the lighting, camera placement, and materials. I've learned so much lately that I'm trying to be more aware of using that knowledge when I do my work. Still need a lot of work in that department. Your newest render turned out very nice! Kudos to you. As far as grilling piggy bank is concerned, my doctor encouraged me to "change" my diet for health considerations. Does that make "cents"? Hopefully my explanation is right on the money! :P

@Bullit: Hey, girl! I'm adding a gator to my scene. :D

@dana: I think my dinner of piggy bank needs to include some of your "soup" and boxed goods! LOL

edited December 1969

@ David - that scene looks unreal! ...the lighting is perfect, well just in my opinion anyway :) ...also ty for the compliment about the shoreline, much appreciated :)

This discussion has been closed.