Star Trek Builders Unite 5 : Where no pixel has gone before

Comments

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    mdbruffy said:
    PDSmith said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Got the answer to one question- and found another problem.

First, the original prop's map will work on the mirrored prop.

Now, if someone would take a look at the bottom picture and tell me how can this be fixed? It never showed up till this render- and I just know it runs the full height of the model.

Personally I would export it to another 3D program and see if it happens there. if so, then go back to Sketchup (that is what you used right?) and try out re-exporting it but with a new setting (trying some new setting might help in this instance.).....render the obj with a flat texture and see what you get. Then try the UV mapping again...

-Paul

Sketch up only has one setting, there's no way to adjust that-. And what you're actually seeing is UV Mapper's obj- not Sketch up's. And I'm not sure what you mean by a "flat texture" there are no bump maps or anything else of that nature used- just the most basic texture map.
    I think I might have a work around figured. Look at ths copy of the page I'm working from. the red arrows are pointing at lines that have no explaination in the book. I don't know if they're indicating the interior space or hull plates. I'm going with hull plates- in fact I'm think of a real thin corner wrap that hides the distorion.

Also, I don't have any other 3D program.

In DAZ you can lower the 'Angles' in the surface tab, lessening the smoothness of angles and highlighting angles as sharp corners and bends. Is that an option? You have my email. send me the obj and mtl file and I'll take a look if your solution doesn't work.

Okay. Working on it now.

edited December 1969

Okay, corner wraps didn't work. They fit, they covered the problem- but I couldn't get the textures to render without blurring. GRRRR! I hate being this close to finishing something- and not being able to!

Paul, watch for a zip in your e-mail. Thanks for taking a look.

• jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

I've had similar problems in Hexagon. Mostly caused when using the close tool to fill in a face. In Hex you can get round it by deleting the offending face and then use the bridge tool to join the edges, Don't use sketchup so I don't know what tools are available in it but if there is an alternative way to replace the face it may be worth trying

edited December 1969

jaguarry3 said:
    I've had similar problems in Hexagon. Mostly caused when using the close tool to fill in a face. In Hex you can get round it by deleting the offending face and then use the bridge tool to join the edges, Don't use sketchup so I don't know what tools are available in it but if there is an alternative way to replace the face it may be worth trying

The only way to re-work a surface in Sketch-up is to erase the lines you drew and start over. Sketch-up is very basic in that regard.
    Actually, I'm surprised I didn't have this problem with the shuttlecraft I made a few months ago- that was done 95% in Sketch-up.

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Madison,

Here is an render in DAZ Studio and one in Carrara. (shareing to see if anyone as a Poser solution since DAZ Studio and Carrara are fine.)

I tried both sides of the pod. Not seeing a problem, sorry. it all loaded smoothly and without error.

cube_in_Carrara.jpg
    640 x 480 - 10K
    life_pos_-_DAZ.jpg
    701 x 907 - 268K
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    Madison,

Here is an render in DAZ Studio and one in Carrara. (shareing to see if anyone as a Poser solution since DAZ Studio and Carrara are fine.)

I tried both sides of the pod. Not seeing a problem, sorry. it all loaded smoothly and without error.

I don't get it. I'm using basic settings mostly- and Poser pro 2014. Could it be my settings?

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    PDSmith said:
    Madison,

I don't get it. I'm using basic settings mostly- and Poser pro 2014. Could it be my settings?

I gotta...sorry....I gotta.....It's screaming for me to do it.

Come to the Dark Side Madison, embrace DAZ Studio, we have chocolate chip cookies and "sharks with frik'n lasers attached to their head"!

Muhahahahahaha!

edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    mdbruffy said:
    PDSmith said:
    Madison,

I gotta...sorry....I gotta.....It's screaming for me to do it.

Come to the Dark Side Madison, embrace DAZ Studio, we have chocolate chip cookies and "sharks with frik'n lasers attached to their head"!

Muhahahahahaha!

Times like this, I'm temted, But after over 5 years with Poser, I think I can resist. I got your files working with our mutal friend at the moment. I will definate check that freakin' pod before long.

edited December 1969

Just a little render fun

Unable to out run the Andorian patrol the front section of the Orion ship separates and turns to confront them while the main section continues to flee. The Andorians raise shields as they come under attack

Aggresive_response.jpg
    1442 x 800 - 536K
    edited December 1969

We have a mutual friend?

I ain't paid my friendship dues for the year!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I call this image.

No dues....no friendship.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glad I could try to help Madison.

-PDSmith

dues.jpg
    686 x 900 - 388K
    edited December 1969

Khan- as good as he's going to get. Anyone know if there's a good jumpsuit for M4 with a collar?

Khan.jpg
    1246 x 875 - 113K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,269
    edited December 1969

Try changing the crease angle in Poser on the objects properties tab

edited December 1969

Try changing the crease angle in Poser on the objects properties tab

80 is the default. I tried 60 and even zero- no change.
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    edited January 2014

mdbruffy said:
    Khan- as good as he's going to get. Anyone know if there's a good jumpsuit for M4 with a collar?

Fairytale Prince looks very much like a Neru jacket and could work.

http://www.daz3d.com/clothing-accessories/fairytale-prince-for-m4-and-h4

you'd need a transmap if you wanted to show man-cleavage

http://media.aintitcool.com/media/legacy/images2009/khan2.jpg

Post edited by Timbales on
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    mdbruffy said:

Fairytale Prince looks very much like a Neru jacket and could work.

http://www.daz3d.com/clothing-accessories/fairytale-prince-for-m4-and-h4

you'd need a transmap if you wanted to show man-cleavage

http://media.aintitcool.com/media/legacy/images2009/khan2.jpg

Unfurtatly that's not a jumpsuit. I'm trying for the red jumpsuit from the last half of "Space seed":

spaceseedhd758.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 318K
    edited January 2014

In other news as they say, I think I've fixed my Life Pod problem. I went back to my orignal sketch-up file and re-worked the surface. added some lines that weren't in it before. That seems to have fixed the problem. It means I'll have to go back and re-build and re-map, But at least everything's already built this time. I just have to re-assemble them.

New_Shell.jpg
    1246 x 875 - 53K
    Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited December 1969

I've regained lost ground. I just need to add some more details to the texture map and I'll be ready to combine all 3 sections.

Problem_solved.jpg
    1302 x 1876 - 168K
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Anyone know where I can find a hair like this?

Closest I can find is Preppy Hair by Neftis. You need to adjust the max ear in on M4 to 2 and adjust the ear down on the hair.

Khan_2.jpg
    729 x 729 - 319K
    Khan_1.jpg
    729 x 729 - 357K
    edited December 1969

jaguarry3 said:
    mdbruffy said:

Closest I can find is Preppy Hair by Neftis. You need to adjust the max ear in on M4 to 2 and adjust the ear down on the hair.

I thank you for looking. BUt I found a hair- Hr-028 at a site- a new one for me- called Mankahoo.

What I really need now is a jumpsuit for M4 that has a collar on it like Khan wore in the last half of "Space Seed".

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    jaguarry3 said:
    mdbruffy said:

I thank you for looking. BUt I found a hair- Hr-028 at a site- a new one for me- called Mankahoo.

What I really need now is a jumpsuit for M4 that has a collar on it like Khan wore in the last half of "Space Seed".

You could try the M4 Flightsuit that is available here by Billy-T and retexture it.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    jaguarry3 said:
    mdbruffy said:

You could try the M4 Flightsuit that is available here by Billy-T and retexture it.

I typed "M4 Flightsuit"- I got sets and props- superhero bundle.
    I typed in "Flightsuit'- I got light sets.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    jaguarry3 said:
    mdbruffy said:

Did you try a search by vendor? It is actually called the M4 Air Crew Set, I would post a link to it but since mine and other members posts get deleted for posting links to other sites when trying to help I am refusing to post DAZ links as well. Nothing personal towards Bruffy.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    jaguarry3 said:
    mdbruffy said:

Did you try a search by vendor? It is actually called the M4 Air Crew Set, I would post a link to it but since mine and other members posts get deleted for posting links to other sites when trying to help I am refusing to post DAZ links as well. Nothing personal towards Bruffy.

Finally got it, shadowhawk1, thanks.

edited December 1969

First update for the day. These were "Quick-fit" pics. Now I just have to finsh the exterior.

Quick-_fit_tests.jpg
    1326 x 1879 - 305K
    edited December 1969

Just need the hatch now...

90_percent_there.jpg
    1899 x 1881 - 624K
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited December 1969

Bruffy, your classic era Khan morph is really well done! You really captured the chiseled features of the younger Montalban.

On a totally unrelated subject, is the XcalPro site loading "blank" for anyone besides me? I mean I literally get a blank page, no text, no graphics, not even a 404 or a 403 type error. Rather strange.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Bruffy, your classic era Khan morph is really well done! You really captured the chiseled features of the younger Montalban.

On a totally unrelated subject, is the XcalPro site loading "blank" for anyone besides me? I mean I literally get a blank page, no text, no graphics, not even a 404 or a 403 type error. Rather strange.

Sincerely,

Bill

Thanks, Bill. It's just the M4 mork is all. As for Xcal, it's been down for a couple of days. I sent a nessage to Tony and he said he'd check into it.

edited December 1969

The finished Pod. The hatch is in 3 sections- you can turn on or off as much as you need for the render. Three texture maps and a color sample.

The_finshed_Life_Pod.jpg
    1341 x 1897 - 451K
    edited December 1969
    Life_Pod-_TMP_standard_B.jpg
    1371 x 905 - 239K
    edited January 2014

I must be the only one in the house tonight. Here's where I stand with Khan. The flight suit would be great except for one little detail:
    If you turn the patches invisable, they leave holes in the mesh of the jumpsuit. Why do that? Why deliberately create holes in the mesh only to turn around and litterally put a patch over them?

Khan_in_flight_suit.jpg
    1246 x 875 - 120K
    Post edited by mdbruffy on
This discussion has been closed.