Star Trek Builders Unite 5 : Where no pixel has gone before

Comments

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

Merry Christmas from Iraq everyone. I hope that everyone has a great Christmas, and a Happy new Year.

• blutobluto Posts: 827
    edited December 1969

so I have been spending a little time to revise some of the things that have been bothering me on my Klingon bridge . it looks much more Klingon now

Render_1.jpg
    1108 x 792 - 487K
  • PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

I've been looking for a Mirror Universe style bridge, I may have to retexture it a bit...if you release it for public use.

Anyway, it looks absolutely dark and evil like a TMP era bridge. What ever you have to do, it's still looking great.

-PDSmith

edited December 2013

sorry for the double post

Post edited by bluto on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    scatha said:
    Uhmmm, what are we doing on page 5?
    I was just goofing around - the main screen display is of an old, old Startrek (no spaces) game that ran on DOS.

Yes, there was one called "Startrek Begin" or something like that, and it looked much like the screen in your render on page 5! It was text-based, allowed you to choose your ship with number of engine nacelles, and you could manage shields and phasers and explore a 2D "grid" of the galaxy.

I found it .. er, "fascinating" to play back in 1990 or thenabouts, but then lost it through one of many PC upgrades over the years.

The screenshot looks exactly like Apple Trek (complete with 40-character display) from my old Apple ][+ computer.

I loved that game. ;-)

--Walt Sterdan

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Merry Christmas all!

btw - today all the short-term freebies are again available. I would suggest 'buying" them fast [i.e. today] whether or not you're into downloading them today or not. Once bought, they do stay in our Product Library.

Temp. page link

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

bluto said:
    so I have been spending a little time to revise some of the things that have been bothering me on my Klingon bridge . it looks much more Klingon now

Bluto, that's really looking good.

edited December 1969

Just to tie everyone over till Book ten's done;

http://mdbruffy.deviantart.com/art/NT-Altered-Lives-The-Trilogy-421342403

Nova_Trek-_Altered_Lives_cover_art.jpg
    612 x 792 - 290K
  • StarkillerStarkiller Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

Merry Christmas!
    And a pair of Renders to show that THIS time, the dreadnaught will be in the set. :)
    Have a Happy New Year.

Eric

Connie_Project_MKII_Dreadnaught3.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 101K
    Connie_Project_MKII_Dreadnaught.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 113K
    edited December 1969

Merry Christmas!
    And a pair of Renders to show that THIS time, the dreadnaught will be in the set. :)
    Have a Happy New Year.

Eric

Looks good, Eric!

Happy New Year!

edited December 2013

greywolf starkiller ,
    have you ever considered doing a make your own Klingon vessel pack?

I know there isn't much you could do with a d-7 but if you use referance from enterprise and tng that would give us a couple of different engines , body types and even bird of prey wings and guns
    .you could even do parts that dont have the raised panels on them for a more tos look

kind of like the difference detween the d-7 and the k'tinga

just a thought

I will be posting my Klingon bridge , but it might be a little while till im done revising it

Post edited by bluto on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

The new Doomsday Machine looks very nice, thanks for that. But... I never re-installed Poser after my last upgrade, and I've forgotten how to get those Poser external morph files to work in D|S. Help please, someone?

• scathascatha Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

Bluto, that Klingon set is looking great.

Eric, glad to see you again. Will the new set have an extended saucer like the reliant class as well?

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

Puttering with my Doomsday Machine reminded me that while I downloaded Raul's damaged Constellation some time ago, I never installed it. So I did so earlier this morning and experimented.

I placed a point light in front of the port nacelle and a second amid the most damaged region of the primary saucer, tinting both of them red. I tossed in the asteroid field from his planet killer and whipped out a quick render, approximating the shot when the episode credits appear.

A very well organized .OBJ file. It didn't require any "optimizing" for use in Poser. By placing the textures in the same folder as the mesh, when I imported it, the model retrieved all the needed textures. The only thing I did was to adjust the "diffuse" base color on a few material zone to match the rest.

Sincerely,

Bill

Constellation-J-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 81K
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Puttering with my Doomsday Machine reminded me that while I downloaded Raul's damaged Constellation some time ago, I never installed it. So I did so earlier this morning and experimented.

I placed a point light in front of the port nacelle and a second amid the most damaged region of the primary saucer, tinting both of them red. I tossed in the asteroid field from his planet killer and whipped out a quick render, approximating the shot when the episode credits appear.

A very well organized .OBJ file. It didn't require any "optimizing" for use in Poser. By placing the textures in the same folder as the mesh, when I imported it, the model retrieved all the needed textures. The only thing I did was to adjust the "diffuse" base color on a few material zone to match the rest.

Sincerely,

Bill

Looks good, Bill.

edited December 1969

Trek United has finally released the second volume of their Adult short shory collection: Ouadrant to Quadrant and Person to Person Vol.2. I've got a Nova Trek story in this one too- A Mirror Universe story I've been promising folks for almost a year now:

http://mdbruffy.deviantart.com/art/Quadrant-to-Quadrant-and-Person-to-Person-2-423156080

Anthology_2_cover_art.jpg
    657 x 938 - 99K
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Trek United has finally released the second volume of their Adult short shory collection: Ouadrant to Quadrant and Person to Person Vol.2. I've got a Nova Trek story in this one too- A Mirror Universe story I've been promising folks for almost a year now:

http://mdbruffy.deviantart.com/art/Quadrant-to-Quadrant-and-Person-to-Person-2-423156080

:-) Thank you!

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

:-) Thank you!

You're welcome. ;-)

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 619
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:

Sincerely,

Bill

:bug: Damned good work there, Bill!
    edited December 1969

If anyone goes to sci-3D looking for a model of the Constitution, don't download the 3ds version, it's junk:

Crap.jpg
    1246 x 875 - 88K
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,579
    edited December 1969

I have the model in a coherent form in my runtime, but I too experienced that "exploded" and reversed parts mayhem. I think I had Mapper, who owned a copy of "Deep Exploration", convert it for me. Honestly, I can't remember. It's been several years.

Besides, that model is based more upon the Franz Joseph booklet of general plans, the iconic 12 sheet deck by deck blueprints of the U.S.S. Constitution, thus it varies in several subtle and obvious ways from the filming miniature used for the original series. The Enterprise model MattyManx converted from the Methitis collection is far more accurate. Unless your goal is a "variant", then it fits the bill.

It does come with a very nifty .AVI sequence intended for the nacelle domes. I use it upon the MattyManx conversion.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    I have the model in a coherent form in my runtime, but I too experienced that "exploded" and reversed parts mayhem. I think I had Mapper, who owned a copy of "Deep Exploration", convert it for me. Honestly, I can't remember. It's been several years.

Besides, that model is based more upon the Franz Joseph booklet of general plans, the iconic 12 sheet deck by deck blueprints of the U.S.S. Constitution, thus it varies in several subtle and obvious ways from the filming miniature used for the original series. The Enterprise model MattyManx converted from the Methitis collection is far more accurate. Unless your goal is a "variant", then it fits the bill.

It does come with a very nifty .AVI sequence intended for the nacelle domes. I use it upon the MattyManx conversion.

Sincerely,

Bill

Well, I happened across this one by mistake. I was looking for a refit I could change the name on and downloaded this one by mistake.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

When I come across a 3ds item that's exploded like that, I try a different converter, there are many programs that will open 3ds files, but each one handles them somewhat differently. The free Propviewer at ShareCG can read 3ds files. Blender usually does a decent job importing them, too.

That said...that model IS fubar...just tried 5 different things to open it and well, none of them did a good job and one of them out right crashed when trying to open it.

edited December 2013

mdbruffy said:
    If anyone goes to sci-3D looking for a model of the Constitution, don't download the 3ds version, it's junk:

You know Bruffy to say something is junk when you are using it in a program it wasn't designed for isn't cool. It is a 3ds item and you are trying to use it in Poser. Yes Poser converts but as a poser user I know that it doesn't import perfectly every time. I am sure if you designed something for a program and knew it worked and I came out and trashed it because it didn't work in program X, which you didn't design it for you would be a little pissed. It is hard enough to get creators to share their work without people bitching about it, so how about thinking about what you are saying before you write something like that in the future?

Post edited by shadowhawk1 on
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

You know Bruffy to say something is junk when you are using it in a program it wasn't designed for isn't cool. It is a 3ds item and you are trying to use it in Poser. Yes Poser converts but as a poser user I know that it doesn't import perfectly every time. I am sure if you designed something for a program and knew it worked and I came out and trashed it because it didn't work in program X, which you didn't design it for you would be a little pissed. It is hard enough to get creators to share their work without people bitching about it, so how about thinking about what you are saying before you write something like that in the future?

Poser is designed to accept 3DS and LIghtwave. But, I also took it into Poseray and it was exactly the same.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:

Poser is designed to accept 3DS and LIghtwave. But, I also took it into Poseray and it was exactly the same.

Bruffy, the point I was trying to make is that you may want to consider calling someone’s work junk when you are trying to use it outside of its native program. Yes you may have tried several different ways to make it work in Poser but the fact remains that it wasn’t designed for Poser and if it works fine in 3ds then it can hardly be referred to as junk. A more appropriate response to this should have been to simply state that it doesn’t work in Poser. Currently we are seeing a boom in people offering their work for free instead of keeping it solely in their own runtime for personal use, if we as the beneficiaries of their kindness bit the hand that is offering us these freebies, how long do you think they will continue to offer them?

• rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969
  • robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Rduda said:

Oh, I know exactly where I can use that! As soon as I decide on the appearance of the person behind the desk, that is. (When this page gets an image, that'll be the set I use.)

Thank you!

edited December 1969

Anyone know where I can find a hair like this?

KHan_Hair.jpg
    1901 x 640 - 524K
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited January 2014

mdbruffy said:

The .3ds file type has always been a hit or miss with me so some work and some dont. The only program I found that did a good job with them was 3D Studio Max but even then I had a few crash it. If you have not tried it yet, Deep Exploration or AccuTrans3D can convert 3ds files. Deep Exploration will run as a 30 day trial and so will AccuTrans3D. DE is $500 app though but AccuTrans3D is only $20

Post edited by Mattymanx on
This discussion has been closed.