Star Trek Builders Unite 5 : Where no pixel has gone before

Comments

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited January 2014

Toon males are 40% Hiro5, 40% Jason and 10% SAM and the rest a bit of m5 or m4 (legacy)

I'm at work but if Shadowhawk1 could post what I shared last night offline that might help. (*** Update: I'll have to wait until I get home. I sent them to a different account he can't access...I don't mind working an 8 hours day...it's that waiting 8 hours to go home that kills me!)

They aren't really full blown toonish but not full blown anime either. their proportion's just aren't normal for humans.

That uniform that was suggested looks more like 'Defiant for Genesis' which is the base character I'm useing. but thanks for pointing it out. the shoulder eplets might add to the effect and look of the characters uniform. maybe even the new place for the rank indicators...who knows.

-Paul

Post edited by PDSmith on
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    Redfern...do you happen to know what material or seamless photoshop texture was used for the A3 Trek dress textures?

You need the textures? You're in luck. They are included within this free add-on set that turns the base Retro Skirt into the iconic William Ware Theiss costume..

http://oshikai.deviantart.com/art/Star-Trek-Expansion-for-Aiko-3-180832525

Just keep in mind Oshikai arranged a rather convoluted Poser material node scheme to get that distinctive specular "sheen".

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

Since the Hotfile.com people took themselves offline, I lost the link and file for the TOS for Genesis, or more specifically for the Genesis based uniform Defiant.

Here is the new link, which I'm storing over at Deviant Art in my stash folder.

http://sta.sh/0273s42ynng0

And the link to the Defiant Uniform (which is a variant of the Valiant and Courageous uniform for M4/V4.
    http://www.daz3d.com/defiant-for-genesis

tos_for_defiant_by_pdsmith-d5bpxdj.jpg
    774 x 999 - 740K
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    PDSmith said:
    Redfern...do you happen to know what material or seamless photoshop texture was used for the A3 Trek dress textures?

You need the textures? You're in luck. They are included within this free add-on set that turns the base Retro Skirt into the iconic William Ware Theiss costume..

http://oshikai.deviantart.com/art/Star-Trek-Expansion-for-Aiko-3-180832525

Just keep in mind Oshikai arranged a rather convoluted Poser material node scheme to get that distinctive specular "sheen".

Sincerely,

Bill

I didn't find what I was looking for in the zip file.

Maybe it's me, but I'm looking for a squared image without the texture patterns and setup for the dress. ie a seamless texture for Photoshop or Poser's Material room. (here is an example http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/132/3/4/seamless_denim_by_fotogrph-d4zjlj9.jpg )

edited January 2014

as stated earlier.

The toon male character for a Toon Trek...still looking for a Toon-ish style uniform.

commander.jpg
    676 x 874 - 374K
    Post edited by PDSmith on
  • NVent3dNVent3d Posts: 113
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    as stated earlier.

The toon male character for a Toon Trek...still looking for a Toon-ish style uniform.

PD I will send you my trailblazer outfit see if that works with your toon character. The collar is seperate from the shirt material and structure wise

trailblazer.jpg
    699 x 750 - 99K
    edited December 1969

Thank you Vilmur, here is the tribute image.

Over all it fits the extreme morphs of the Toons. Nice work.

Just needs to be a bit softer red to match the girl's outfits but I like the over look.

Cheng1.jpg
    676 x 874 - 397K
    edited December 1969

Because of the legal hassles they'd create, there's VERY little chance we'll ever see Larry Niven's Kzinti in Star Trek again. Which is possibly why the game Star Trek Online introduced the Ferasans, the more aggressive counterpart to the Caitians, a felinoid species that fills the equivalent role and owned by the game creators (and I assume CBS/Paramount).

But, if the Kzinti could be depicted, I suspect more fans than not would hope the showrunners would do away with the less than intimidating pink color scheme Hal Sutherland approved for the animated episode "The Slaver Weapon". I'd also like to believe they would "beef up" the "rat-cats" as they had absurdly thin limbs in the cartoon adaptation of Larry Niven's "Soft Weapon".

Here's my meager attempt at a Kzin using the Brute-X armor for an EVA suit. Care to guess what I used to depict the webbed membranous ears Liven describes in his Known Space narratives? You may snicker once you discover my solution.

Sincerely,

Bill

Kzin-Armor-3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 108K
  • mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Because of the legal hassles they'd create, there's VERY little chance we'll ever see Larry Niven's Kzinti in Star Trek again. Which is possibly why the game Star Trek Online introduced the Ferasans, the more aggressive counterpart to the Caitians, a felinoid species that fills the equivalent role and owned by the game creators (and I assume CBS/Paramount).

But, if the Kzinti could be depicted, I suspect more fans than not would hope the showrunners would do away with the less than intimidating pink color scheme Hal Sutherland approved for the animated episode "The Slaver Weapon". I'd also like to believe they would "beef up" the "rat-cats" as they had absurdly thin limbs in the cartoon adaptation of Larry Niven's "Soft Weapon".

Here's my meager attempt at a Kzin using the Brute-X armor for an EVA suit. Care to guess what I used to depict the webbed membranous ears Liven describes in his Known Space narratives? You may snicker once you discover my solution.

Sincerely,

Bill

Didn't I see on the animated DVD set that Sutherland or one of the art directors was actually color blind? That's how the pink got chosen- he litterally couldn't see the color he chose.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Redfern said:

Sincerely,

Bill

Didn't I see on the animated DVD set that Sutherland or one of the art directors was actually color blind? That's how the pink got chosen- he litterally couldn't see the color he chose.

Quoted from Memory Alpha

One unfortunate reality of an animated television series is the occasional color discrepancy.

The most notable color discrepancy was shown with several appearances of the color pink. Unknown to the rest of the production staff, the director, Hal Sutherland, was color-blind, so to him, pink was light gray. The following images were unintentionally featured in the color pink:

edited January 2014

jrvilmur said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Redfern said:

Sincerely,

Bill

Quoted from Memory Alpha

One unfortunate reality of an animated television series is the occasional color discrepancy.

The most notable color discrepancy was shown with several appearances of the color pink. Unknown to the rest of the production staff, the director, Hal Sutherland, was color-blind, so to him, pink was light gray. The following images were unintentionally featured in the color pink:

I thought so. It's in one of the documentaries on the DVD set, too.

Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    jrvilmur said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Redfern said:

Sincerely,

Bill

Quoted from Memory Alpha

I thought so. It's in one of the documentaries on the DVD set, too.

If i remember right, it is also why the he-man cartoon was so uh pink and purple.

• rschulterschulte Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

Here’s my meager attempt at a Kzin using the Brute-X armor for an EVA suit. Care to guess what I used to depict the webbed membranous ears Liven describes in his Known Space narratives? You may snicker once you discover my solution.

Redfern,

Looks great... How did you get the morph for the Kzinti head?

edited January 2014

I've read those anecdotes, too. But in a media production like a television series, one doesn't work in a "vacuum" alone. It's a team effort. Didn't anyone at least ask, "Uh, Mr. Sutherland? Are you sure you want to use pink here?. On those lil' tribble critters, I can see that. They're soft and fuzzy. Pink works. But these are ferocious tiger or lion-like aliens, threatening to actually eat our heroes if they don't cooperate. Do you really think pink works with these guys?"

Oh, the head? Heh, heh... That's the original Mil' Big Cat with a mixture of the tiger and saber-tooth morphs. I just turned off the visibility of the Brute-X head and eyes, and "hid" all the body parts except those same elements for the "Big Cat". Then I just positioned it with the neck hole of the armor.

Sincerely,

Bill

Post edited by Redfern on
  • rschulterschulte Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

Oh, the head? Heh, heh… That’s the original Mil’ Big Cat with a mixture of the tiger and saber-tooth morphs. I just turned off the visibility of the Brute-X head and eyes, and “hid” all the body parts except those same elements for the “Big Cat”. Then I just positioned it with the neck hole of the armor.

Wow! Still looks great... This would really work well as a Kilrathi (Wing Commander) as well.

Russ

edited December 1969

Thanks! So, anyone wanna' guess the secret of the ears?

It's getting late for me, so I might not respond until early tomorrow morning.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

Happy New Years everyone, unless you are a time traveler then no happy new year for you. I am posting a quick image of my tos inspired outfits in part hoping to get some help.

But first let me hand out some credits:
    Romulan texture on the pants and scarf were sent to me by "Bluto"
    Hexagon on Klingon Pants as well as texture on Klingon Vest were also from "Bluto"
    The Pin on the Klingong sash was made by "Bluto"
    The Command division federation shirt texture was sent to me by "PDSmith"
    So here is where I can use some help:

1. I still can not figure out how to make dson support files so poser users can use these items. not only that i am getting sick of trying does anyone know of a clear concise easy to follow way to do this?

2. The weird moire effect I am getting at seems, is there a simple way to get rid of it? is it just happening because i am using shaders?

3. Does anyone out there have props they wouldn't mind letting me convert to genesis for free release with these outfits when that time comes?

Hit me up if you know something that I should know, and thanks everyone... everyone except time travelers anyways.

TOS_Trio2.jpg
    800 x 475 - 174K
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:

Sincerely,

Bill

I hate to be this vague, but it must be some kind of wing. maybe a fairy or butterfly?

edited December 1969

jrvilmur said:
    Redfern said:

Sincerely,

Bill

I hate to be this vague, but it must be some kind of wing. maybe a fairy or butterfly?

I'll be at work until this evening, so I guess I'll go ahead and tell you.

They're the front ventral fins of the Toonimal Goldfish.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    jrvilmur said:
    Redfern said:

Sincerely,

Bill

I'll be at work until this evening, so I guess I'll go ahead and tell you.

They're the front ventral fins of the Toonimal Goldfish.

Sincerely,

Bill

And to think some people really frown upon 'kitbashing', thats gotta be one of the more original ideas or uses of a product I've seen.

-Paul

edited December 1969

Well, when Niven himself described Kzinti ears as resembling fish fins in some passages (other times as a bat's wings), it just seemed a reasonable solution. ;-)

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

I thought I'd try Niven's alternate description of Kzinti ears by employing the wings of the SilverKey Bat.

I think they make him a tad more intimidating than the goldfish fins. ;-)

Sincerely,

Bill

Kzin-Armor-4.jpg
    800 x 800 - 139K
    edited December 1969

The final Khan-
    or is that "Con"?

Finished_Khan.jpg
    615 x 807 - 132K
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    The final Khan-
    or is that "Con"?

looks quite good.
  • NV OracleNV Oracle Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

He's looking really good, there, Madison. Well done.

edited December 1969

jrvilmur said:
    mdbruffy said:
    The final Khan-
    or is that "Con"?

looks quite good.

Thank you, sir- and thanks for the morph.

edited December 1969

NV Oracle said:
    He's looking really good, there, Madison. Well done.

Thank you.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited January 2014

Looks like I'm just in time! Lots o' morphing and toonage going on - and that's just what this is, for sure :D.

I just had a compulsion today to make a Cookie-compatible Gorn - not much in the way of lizard physiognomy in Pickles, but I managed it, mostly - I may still need to do some work, but so far ...

EDIT: Modeled new eyes and teeth, and replaced his skin texture with a much better reptile skin.

Gorn005.jpg
    900 x 1600 - 586K
    Post edited by Ptrope on
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    Looks like I'm just in time! Lots o' morphing and toonage going on - and that's just what this is, for sure :D.

I just had a compulsion today to make a Cookie-compatible Gorn - not much in the way of lizard physiognomy in Pickles, but I managed it, mostly - I may still need to do some work, but so far ...

now that is one awesome gorn!
  • nightwolf1982nightwolf1982 Posts: 1,136
    edited December 1969

Any word on Oshikai's Retro Skirt?

This discussion has been closed.