Star Trek Builders Unite 5 : Where no pixel has gone before

Comments

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

bluto said:
    madd , next gen Klingon duty sashes were the same as tos movie era sashes ,
    unless you mean the fancy one worf had after season 2 when he went from redshirt to gold the sash changed from tos era sash to the bling sash he hdt till the last next gen movie.
    I know patience was working on one , but I don't know if she ever finished it up

Worf's big heavy sash is the one I'm talking about. Don't ned it right this very moment, Was just wondering if anyone had ever done one.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited December 1969

Unable to use TrueSpace for the time being, I've installed Wings3D and have been puttering with a bit of subdivision box modeling to (attempt) creating flowing organic forms.

It dawned upon me maybe I could apply those tools to create a (hopefully) more screen accurate version of the infamous "Doomsday Machine". Don't get me wrong, there are a few interesting models available, but the ones I've seen so far either favor the "Remastered" digital version or appear to be somewhat "interpretive". But I wanted to make something that matched the foil and cellophane wrapped wire armature (I don't buy the "cement dipped windsock" theory) we saw in the original 1967 cut of the episode.

For references, I used the following frame captures at TrekCore...

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/2x06/doomsdaymachine_574.jpg

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/2x06/doomsdaymachine_576.jpg

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/2x06/doomsdaymachine_541.jpg

...as they are the closest things to true profile and face on shots. The better remembered shots of it cruising like some sea going predator across the TV screen was a three-quarter angled photographic cut-out and as such was not really suitable for my needs.

Anyway, I've attached a draft render showcasing some different views of two slight variations. The top shape is depicted in (more or less) true profile, based upon the captures I used, 574 and 576. The second and third ones down are based upon the more familiar three-quarter shot used earlier in the episode. The third down has a somewhat flat "rim" around the gaping "maw" approximating what we saw in the episode. You can see how it looks "face on" in the bottom right shape. The second shape down and the bottom left have a slightly more "chamfered" or rounded "rim" around the maw. The one with the "flat" rim is more accurate to the episode, but in some ways I think the second with the "rounded" rim has a better "flow".

Why all the long winded explanation? Well, I'm not entirely ashamed of my efforts and I would like to share the models. Obviously, I'll need to "map" them and create suitable textures. I'd like to incorporate those abstract "swirls" of blue from the shots themselves but creating something without glaring "seams" will be tricky.

I know I haven't contributed in a while and wanted to offer something beyond the Andorian antennae (which Thalek graciously rigged with ERC) that date back several years.

Sincerely,

Bill

DDM-Variants-1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 46K
    edited December 2013

Redfern said:
    Unable to use TrueSpace for the time being, I've installed Wings3D and have been puttering with a bit of subdivision box modeling to (attempt) creating flowing organic forms.

Bill

You explained everything except why you can't use Truespace right now. :-)
    Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited December 1969

It's on my old machine that has disk issues and I can't find the serial number to properly install it upon my corrent machine.

Besides, I could get it to handle "edge loops" properly, a feature critical for proper subdivision box modeling, which Wings3D, ironically, handles like a breeze.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    It's on my old machine that has disk issues and I can't find the serial number to properly install it upon my corrent machine.

Besides, I could get it to handle "edge loops" properly, a feature critical for proper subdivision box modeling, which Wings3D, ironically, handles like a breeze.

Sincerely,

Bill

Oh. Okay.

edited December 1969

Poo! That should have read, "I could never get it to handle 'edge loops' properly..."

(I have the worst time dropping "negative qualifiers" from my statements, making them have the opposite meaning, often with embarrassing results.)

Anyway, which do you prefer, the flat rim or the rounded one?

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Poo! That should have read, "I could never get it to handle 'edge loops' properly..."

(I have the worst time dropping "negative qualifiers" from my statements, making them have the opposite meaning, often with embarrassing results.)

Anyway, which do you prefer, the flat rim or the rounded one?

Sincerely,

Bill

I personally like the rounded one. I think it looks more realistic. But if you're going for TV screen accuaracy, I don't know. It's been awhile since I've seen the un-remastered version of the episode.

edited December 1969

Well, here's the thumbnail page for that episode when the Planet Killer finally arrives.

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=60&page=5

You can be the judge

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Well, here's the thumbnail page for that episode when the Planet Killer finally arrives.

http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=60&page=5

You can be the judge

Sincerely,

Bill

Just looked. Definately the rounded version.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the feedback, 'Bruffy.

Here's the recommended mesh with some "placeholder" textures (from Methetle's model) and some Poser node procedurals. The "furnace" effect (augmented by a point light) is my own creation applied to a pair of parabolic "dish" geometries which I will include with the model when I have completed it.

Sincerely,

Bill

DDM-Maw-J-1.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 77K
    DDM-Angle-J-1.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 92K
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Thanks for the feedback, 'Bruffy.

Here's the recommended mesh with some "placeholder" textures (from Methetle's model) and some Poser node procedurals. The "furnace" effect (augmented by a point light) is my own creation applied to a pair of parabolic "dish" geometries which I will include with the model when I have completed it.

Sincerely,

Bill

Getting there. :-)

• blutobluto Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

looking good bill , keep it up .

phutzing around with more Klingon stuff

Render_1.jpg
    900 x 772 - 331K
  • NVent3dNVent3d Posts: 113
    edited December 1969

bluto said:
    looking good bill , keep it up .

phutzing around with more Klingon stuff

I have been looking at that pin for two days wondering how i was going to tackle it, and wondering where to get good canon references to other pins used on the klingon sashes. good job!
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    bluto said:
    madd , next gen Klingon duty sashes were the same as tos movie era sashes ,
    unless you mean the fancy one worf had after season 2 when he went from redshirt to gold the sash changed from tos era sash to the bling sash he hdt till the last next gen movie.
    I know patience was working on one , but I don't know if she ever finished it up

Worf's big heavy sash is the one I'm talking about. Don't ned it right this very moment, Was just wondering if anyone had ever done one.

Not exactly ... Hexagon froze on it. Have made "too many to count" attempts at it. For those not familiar with the wip that were ever shown, I was attempting to model all the texture, not rely on images.

That and a few other projects are on the back burner for next year ... hoping Decimator will help me get them done. ['cause as some have undoubtedly noticed, my projects are never "game ready" [low poly] items to say the least.

On the front burner are some skin projects.

• scathascatha Posts: 756
    edited December 1969

Uhmmm, what are we doing on page 5?

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

scatha said:
    I was just goofing around - the main screen display is of an old, old Startrek (no spaces) game that ran on DOS.

bluto was showing off a couple of WIPs.

edited December 1969

Experimenting with some "stock" abstract images to texture this "funnel of fear".

I downloaded several "interesting" images from DeviantArt, ones whose creators granted open ended use. I played with the colors, tweaked the contrasts, mirrored and flipped them and blended multiple layers to get this shimmering, almost "fiberglass" effect.

Initially, I tried manipulating cropped patches of actual screen captures, but even with the largest images, the resolution was such too low giving the surface a muddy, flat look.

While this surfacing might not match the TrekCore hosted screen captures pixel for pixel, I will admit I kinda' like what I've done here and I'm considering wrapping up this lil' project in a zip file to share with the community.

Sincerely,

Bill

DDM-Angle-J-2.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 134K
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Experimenting with some "stock" abstract images to texture this "funnel of fear".

I downloaded several "interesting" images from DeviantArt, ones whose creators granted open ended use. I played with the colors, tweaked the contrasts, mirrored and flipped them and blended multiple layers to get this shimmering, almost "fiberglass" effect.

Initially, I tried manipulating cropped patches of actual screen captures, but even with the largest images, the resolution was such too low giving the surface a muddy, flat look.

While this surfacing might not match the TrekCore hosted screen captures pixel for pixel, I will admit I kinda' like what I've done here and I'm considering wrapping up this lil' project in a zip file to share with the community.

Sincerely,

Bill

Looks good, Bill.

edited December 1969

bill , amazingly well done , I don't see any room for improvement anywhere , stick a fork in it couse its done

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Post that sucker and I'll have it in the freebie list in no time.

Current Morph project.

Helping Vilmur convert his Dr. McCoy and Kahn morphs to Genesis, it's not going as smooth as expected, it may take a bit longer than expected.

-PDSmith

kahn1.jpg
    941 x 963 - 494K
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I've released a skin starter for those wanting one ... can be used on any uvset 'as is'.
    Also, reupped 2 little morphs and made 4 new ones ... all packaged together.

Forum thread

Has potential ;-)

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

Seasons Greetings Folks :)

resistance-xmas-sml.jpg
    936 x 1200 - 267K
    edited December 1969

pdsmith

after you get done with that I wonder if you would be so good as to look into the proposition of doing my space people morphs for genesis

http://www.sharecg.com/v/67296/browse/11/Poser/space-people-morphs

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

bluto said:
    pdsmith

after you get done with that I wonder if you would be so good as to look into the proposition of doing my space people morphs for genesis

http://www.sharecg.com/v/67296/browse/11/Poser/space-people-morphs

I'll give it a shot. Currently i have a couple of problems.

1) Is slopeing brows. Like in the case of Kahn he brows come together and form a second 'bump' between his eyebrows. That has to be 'ballooned' in via Z-Brush.

2) Saving the morph. when I call it back up on either of my two computers the character's 'chizled' 1960's looks are softened to a '00's hollywood look. I don't think an effeminate Dr. McCoy or Kahn is what this forum is looking for when it comes to their TOS era characters or likeness.

3) When I do save it and have it right, the 'bones' of Genesis are no longer bones but rubber. (the arms and legs don't bend, they round about).

-PDSmith

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,133
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    2) Saving the morph. when I call it back up on either of my two computers the character's 'chizled' 1960's looks are softened to a '00's hollywood look. I don't think an effeminate Dr. McCoy or Kahn is what this forum is looking for when it comes to their TOS era characters or likeness.

Did you copy the morph asset files across? If not you will see only the contribution of any DAZ morphs you have on both machines.

3) When I do save it and have it right, the 'bones' of Genesis are no longer bones but rubber. (the arms and legs don't bend, they round about).

If you are morphing on a morphed figure, to have a male base shape, did you set any scaling back to 100% before exporting the OBJ? If not the scaling will be added to the morph, throwing the joint centres out.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 621
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:

Sincerely,

Bill

NIIIIIICE!
    edited December 1969

Just under the wire for Christmas!

http://www.sharecg.com/v/73823/browse/11/Poser/Doomsday-Machine

Since my last posts about the model, I used Poser's morph brush to give the object of series of "dents" and "dings". There's a dial associated with it so that you can depict a smoother hull at a setting of 0.000, but make it look "beat to h3ll and back" if you employ values greater than 1.000.

It's actually two props, the hull and two nested "cups" that take the "furnace" texture. They are "parented" and "locked" to the hull. I did it this way so that I could turn off the shadow casting feature of the "furnace". Why? Well, the read-me explains how one should position a "point" light within the "maw" behind the furnace prop to get that h3llish glow illuminating the "gullet" of the "monster". I tried a "spotlight" type light, but I just couldn't get the look I managed with the "point" type light. Thus, you'll need Poser 7 or higher to use that feature.

The zip contains a separate .OBJ file so that other suites can import the mesh.

Here's a render showing the wireframe with the "dents" dial set to 1.250. As you can see, it looks pretty well "bashed". A setting greater than 1.900 will push some of the surface geometry through the inner surface of the "maw", so consider that the limit.

So, get the gift that keeps on giving...devastation to world upon world. ;-P

Sincerely,

Bill

DDM-Wireframe-J-1.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 86K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,279
    edited December 1969

Thank You
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone

edited December 1969

Merry Christmas everybody!!

Advanced_Shhet_1_for_NT-AETB-_Final.jpg
    900 x 1180 - 316K
  • Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    scatha said:
    I was just goofing around - the main screen display is of an old, old Startrek (no spaces) game that ran on DOS.

Yes, there was one called "Startrek Begin" or something like that, and it looked much like the screen in your render on page 5! It was text-based, allowed you to choose your ship with number of engine nacelles, and you could manage shields and phasers and explore a 2D "grid" of the galaxy.

I found it .. er, "fascinating" to play back in 1990 or thenabouts, but then lost it through one of many PC upgrades over the years.

This discussion has been closed.