September 2013 NEW USER Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I wish to explain my failure to comment on all renders or on all days. The first comes down to the image. If I see nothing that to me I can not help with I just move on. The second comes down to my health, I'm disabled and some days I just do not get online at all. I also sometimes limit what time I am online, that also limits my time to comment. I'm proud of each of you here in this thread, you have taken time to do the work or you have came and offered help to others. To me you are all Winners.

I will admit I have been frustrated at times by a lack of comments. This is not directed at you specifically. I also realize that this is not the only thread you, or any of the other Admins/Judges, look into and comment on. Also, real life gets in the way despite our best efforts.

I am going to make an effort to comment more on others work. I am a newbie and definitely lack confidence in my work but I also know what I like when I see it and will endeavor to say so in the future.

Thank you Jaderail for your help. I, and I suspect others, value your insights.

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

I respect and value Jaderails inputs a lot. Pretty ashamed of my hissy fit.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    I wish to explain my failure to comment on all renders or on all days. The first comes down to the image. If I see nothing that to me I can not help with I just move on. The second comes down to my health, I'm disabled and some days I just do not get online at all. I also sometimes limit what time I am online, that also limits my time to comment. I'm proud of each of you here in this thread, you have taken time to do the work or you have came and offered help to others. To me you are all Winners.

I will admit I have been frustrated at times by a lack of comments. This is not directed at you specifically. I also realize that this is not the only thread you, or any of the other Admins/Judges, look into and comment on. Also, real life gets in the way despite our best efforts.

I am going to make an effort to comment more on others work. I am a newbie and definitely lack confidence in my work but I also know what I like when I see it and will endeavor to say so in the future.

You have a knack for conceptualization. Both of your scenes show that. When your images catch up to the ones in your head, they will be amazing.

edited December 1969

@mcjam24

I saw your final and the DOF effect and subduing the set really brought your chars to the fore. Nice.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

Have added another pointlight, a copy of the first one just placed lower. And turned down the intensity on them both. Also changed the color of the fire to see if I could make it look slightly more fitting for the light, not entirely sure I am satisfied with that though *ponders with a frown*

Anyhow, this is how it looks now :)

Nightcamp

nightcamppw.jpg
    800 x 565 - 64K
    edited September 2013

Carola O said:
    Have added another pointlight, a copy of the first one just placed lower. And turned down the intensity on them both. Also changed the color of the fire to see if I could make it look slightly more fitting for the light, not entirely sure I am satisfied with that though *ponders with a frown*

Nightcamp

I think the position of the firelights and glow from it are vastly improved. Shadows are too.

Like you.. the color makes me hmmm. But I think color is all you have left to tweak.

Just punting, what happens if you go orange/yellow on the top light and orange/red on the bottom? Mix the colors like a real flame would do? Come to think of it, I may be reversed, the white/yellow/ usually comes from the heart of the fire, the hottest. I dunno.

Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

standfast said:
    Carola O said:

Nightcamp

I think the position of the firelights and glow from it are vastly improved. Shadows are too.

Like you.. the color makes me hmmm. But I think color is all you have left to tweak.

Just punting, what happens if you go orange/yellow on the top light and orange/red on the bottom? Mix the colors like a real flame would do? Come to think of it, I may be reversed, the white/yellow/ usually comes from the heart of the fire, the hottest. I dunno.

I agree with standfast. It looks like you have the light for the fire right but the colour needs tweaking.

edited December 1969

standfast said:
    Jaderail said:

You have a knack for conceptualization. Both of your scenes show that. When your images catch up to the ones in your head, they will be amazing.

:red: Thank you.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

Not quite sure how much I can tweak those colors though.. since they are part of the Fire and Smoke by Smay, what I am using now are two diferent textures to the two fires in there.. well, one fire and one smoke prop :)

I am thinking of trying a ocuple of the others, but we wil lsee hwo I figure it out :)

edited September 2013

Title: Anniversary Dance

Program: DAZ3D Public Beta

Here is the latest version. I tried to get some highlights on the gentleman's suit and face without making the entire render too bright. I also added some highlights to the wine bottle.

Depending on the computer monitor this looks either very dark ( my work monitor ) or too bright ( my home monitor ). I am trying to find the balance but hasn't been easy.

Anniversary_Dance_42.jpg
    800 x 800 - 266K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited September 2013

Here is the latest version. I tried to get some highlights on the gentleman's suit and face without making the entire render too bright. I also added some highlights to the wine bottle.

Depending on the computer monitor this looks either very dark ( my work monitor ) or too bright ( my home monitor ). I am trying to find the balance but hasn't been easy.

It looks great on my monitor, but I love dark palettes. Maybe make sure you have the same view angle, I know on my flat screen my image is far lighter if I am standing up. The new light is subtle ")

Hmm, know what I just accidently did? I was scrolling the page down noticed how the image looked with the top cropped down to the hard shadow just under the blue. Try it. see what you think. As I said, I like dark palettes.

Post edited by Teofa on
  • reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

I have experienced the same thing as I read in this thread has happened to others, that the colours change a bit depending on what screen you view the pic in (and maybe the graphics card also as something to do with it).

Scott made a remark that the saturation of one of the lights were "to much". At first I didn't agree but when i viewed the pic on another computer i saw what he meant.

Here is a somewhat softended version with less saturation. To me, on this computer, she looks a bit pale, but here we go.

Attletica_close_up_softened.jpg
    800 x 600 - 165K
    edited December 1969

reserv888 said:
    I have experienced the same thing as I read in this thread has happened to others, that the colours change a bit depending on what screen you view the pic in (and maybe the graphics card also as something to do with it).

Scott made a remark that the saturation of one of the lights were "to much". At first I didn't agree but when i viewed the pic on another computer i saw what he meant.

Here is a somewhat softended version with less saturation. To me, on this computer, she looks a bit pale, but here we go.

Yes, it is showing a lot less saturation. Better. On my screen she still appears to the reds side of the spectrum, if that is what you are going for.

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

An idea I had while playing with some new toys from the PA sale.

Title: Harsh Light

Horse_3.jpg
    850 x 658 - 380K
  • SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

standfast said:
    Carola O said:

Nightcamp

I agree with standfast. It looks like you have the light for the fire right but the colour needs tweaking.

for me personally, the light on the man is looking good, but the red of the flames is not right. I like the idea of tryng white yellow or even yellow and darker yellow.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

standfast said:
    Carola O said:

Nightcamp

for me personally, the light on the man is looking good, but the red of the flames is not right. I like the idea of tryng white yellow or even yellow and darker yellow.
    I agree with you guys. Lighting is looking very good, but the fire is too red.

edited December 1969

I know exactly where you're coming from on this. My work computer tends to show things too dark--yours certainly looked that way. But I know that monitor has gamma issues. I'm looking at it now from my rendering computer, and the lighting looks right: neither too dark or too bright. Well, I still would like more lighting on the guy's face, but aside from that it looks great.
    edited December 1969

reserv888 said:

Yes, she looks pale, but I would have thought that was your intention (kind of a Goth look). I like the less saturated lights...looks better to me. Now I'm wondering about the position of the rim light...maybe try to move it more behind her so that it's just catching the edge of her face...?
  • HastyDaveHastyDave Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

I know exactly where you're coming from on this. My work computer tends to show things too dark--yours certainly looked that way. But I know that monitor has gamma issues.

Many monitors are sold with the brightness set very high. I'm not really sure why.

For proper color calibration you need a hardware device, but there are basic monitor calibration tools built into Windows 7 & 8 and Mac OS X.
    On Win 7 / Win 8, go to the Start Menu and type calibrate - then choose Calibrate display color from the results. You need to have admin rights for this. More detailed instructions.
    On Mac OS X, go to System Preferences, then Display, then click the Calibrate button. More detailed instructions.

edited December 1969

HastyDave said:

I know exactly where you're coming from on this. My work computer tends to show things too dark--yours certainly looked that way. But I know that monitor has gamma issues.

Many monitors are sold with the brightness set very high. I'm not really sure why.

For proper color calibration you need a hardware device, but there are basic monitor calibration tools built into Windows 7 & 8 and Mac OS X.
    On Win 7 / Win 8, go to the Start Menu and type calibrate - then choose Calibrate display color from the results. You need to have admin rights for this. More detailed instructions.
    On Mac OS X, go to System Preferences, then Display, then click the Calibrate button. More detailed instructions.

Thanks HastyDave. I will have to try that on Monday on my work computer.

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited September 2013

I'm always bad at giving meaningful comments, so I'll just chime in that I like what I'm seeing here. Fun contest this month!

Post edited by mori_mann on
  • IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited September 2013

standfast said:
    Well, your render will outlast the contest, and I kinda thought a victrola or such would both set the period and the dancing :) Your render will always be there to reflect your skill growth. You can see the evolution below of the first render I ever posted and what it is now. Went off on a tangent of "what if Elves progressed tech wise"

Thanks for sharing the evolution of your work, I must admit though I'm impressed by what you were achieving even at an early stage!

I've been around a while, learning to model (this render started with a self-made dress) and getting to grips with shaders and so on, but I'm still building up confidence on the art side of this. Actually finishing a render, getting feedback, improving it... not my strong point. So I thought it was time to have a go.

This morning I've been tearing my hair out over this one some more and I guess you could call it progress as I now have a lamp that emits light.... very brightly. Much too bright for 1920s! I'll refine it some more before I post an update.

(Thanks to Scott/Szark for the push to try area lighting, I had side-stepped it until now but no time like the present to learn!)

Standfast, I followed your example and did a bit of research into 1920s lightbulbs to try to keep this truer to the period. I'll need to turn up the UE2 to allow them to keep a soft glow.

OK, back to it.... time is running out. :)

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
    edited December 1969

Jindi, I saw your Isadora Duncan render. Props for knowing who she was, and props for pursuing artistic, which the render certainly is.

edited December 1969

Thanks Standfast! I like dance despite not being much of a dancer myself. :)

Still working on this... still having some problems but at least it forced me to experiment with the uberarea lights.

dancing_test4.jpg
    545 x 545 - 213K
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Health problems have a way of taking over... I'm glad for any time you can spare here but your health always has to come first. Thanks to you and other volunteers for the time you do put in over here.

Also thanks to those other entrants who feel able and willing to comment. I know not everyone feels well placed to give advice, but from the other side of the fence sometimes just not feeling invisible is something. While constructive criticism helps us learn and is always appreciated, just an encouraging word here and there can make all the difference to motivation. If nobody at all comments, it kind of leaves you thinking 'wow, so bad that I can't do anything at all to improve on it?'

edited September 2013

Still working on this... still having some problems but at least it forced me to experiment with the uberarea lights.

[/quote

Hugely improved. Some soft illumination for her to make it pop now, but I know you are gonna tweak that.

Yeah Uberareas cowed me, pop one in and its like an unexpected explosion of "stuff"

I found KHPark preset a kind one to start with.

And you nailed it. For a newbie "not being invisible" is the thing.

When I judged horse shows, I LOOKED at every competitor, even if they were sorely outclassed, They paid for the look, deserved the look, and needed to know they had not been dismissed outright.

Post edited by Teofa on
    edited September 2013

Jindi said:
    Jaderail said:

Health problems have a way of taking over... I'm glad for any time you can spare here but your health always has to come first. Thanks to you and other volunteers for the time you do put in over here.

Also thanks to those other entrants who feel able and willing to comment. I know not everyone feels well placed to give advice, but from the other side of the fence sometimes just not feeling invisible is something. While constructive criticism helps us learn and is always appreciated, just an encouraging word here and there can make all the difference to motivation. If nobody at all comments, it kind of leaves you thinking 'wow, so bad that I can't do anything at all to improve on it?'

You have made some very valid points Jindi.

When all you see/read is the words on a computer screen, and do not have the body language, voice inflections, etc cues as a guide, it is easier to misunderstand each other. If nothing else, this has helped us all to understand each other ( and possibly ourselves ) a little better.

Lighting is VERY difficult to get right...but well worth the effort. I cannot offer specific advice on how to improve the lighting in your render but I do feel you are making progress.

I love the expression in your character. I can really feel how much she loves to dance.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks both, still tweaking this one. I haven't grabbed my prop from ShareCG yet as I'll need to look up my log-in... I figured first I needed to work on the lighting.

edited September 2013

An idea I had while playing with some new toys from the PA sale.

Title: Harsh Light

I don't think anyone commented on this one yet. We've been seeing so much low light over here, it's good to have a contrasting image with harsh light. It does feel harsh and desolate, I want to fetch that poor horse a drink and half expect to see vultures circling above!

How did you light this one? I'm guessing light would be coming from dead above since horse doesn't have a noticeable shadow, which would be what we'd expect. (edit: let me rephrase that... what you've done here is just what we'd expect)

If the horse had been closer to the foreground I'd have suggested trying out depth of field to blend middle and background a little more. But moving it might lose that sense of loneliness, and he has a nice rule of thirds placement where he is.

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
    edited December 1969

Jindi said:

The lamps themselves look perfect to me. Now you just need to work on getting the character properly illuminated. That may require an additional (out-of-frame) light source.