September 2013 NEW USER Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

the lighting now looks liku crap. the room through the door should be dark. i don't even have a light back there.

Any suggestions?

WIP.png
    640 x 480 - 341K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

the lighting now looks liku crap. the room through the door should be dark. i don't even have a light back there.

Any suggestions?

If you want to darken part of a scene, you can use a light set to a negative intensity. At -100 percent, you create total darkness, higher values just dim the area the light "shines" on.

That said, you already have a very subdued lighting. The focus of the scene, the doll, doesn't really get any emphasis, so it doesn't pop out. Instead of darkening things further, I'd experiment with something like a subtle, light blue point light on the doll; or possibly a slight ambience. Generally, dark scenes look better when they're not completely dark, but rather when they have heavy contrasts between dark and lighter areas. A generally dark scene kind of gets lost in the shadows.

Even in a movie such as Alien, when characters move in the dark, there are lights where the viewer is supposed to see somethibg (of course, these lights don't always make much sense from a strictly physical pov).

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

selias19 said:
    I finally managed to add a glow to the lamp shade (I forgot all about UberArea light because I seldom used it before).
    Is it too intensive? What do you think?

Title:
    A Quiet evening

Rendered in Daz 4.5

This is wonderful

edited September 2013

I might enter this. Not sure.

All DAZ 4.6, no postwork.

Title is "Three AM"

did some adjustment to the second image, move the guard to change the knife edge shadow, changed Teo's pose and added a dagger instead of the katana in hand, put a very soft light on her from front.

I will shop out that small brighter area in the lower right corner. It bothers me.

ThreeAm.png
    530 x 700 - 443K
    Three_AM.png
    530 x 700 - 441K
    Post edited by Teofa on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

This is my 2nd entry for this month's contest.

Title: Anniversary Dance

Program: DAZ 4.6 Pro Beta

Anniversary_Dance_6.jpg
    565 x 800 - 214K
  • selias19selias19 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

standfast said:
    I might enter this. Not sure.

All DAZ 4.6, no postwork.

Title is "Three AM"

I love this. Reminds me of the game Stolen, just with much much better graphic. :-)
    Thank you for your compliment on mine.
    Sigrid

• selias19selias19 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

Beautifully romantic. Only the background is a little dark. I love the candle light though.
    Sigrid

• DTAikoDTAiko Posts: 20
    edited December 1969

@ Kismet2012

the scene looks good, i like how do you create the female and the glass looks also good. But i think the background light is ab bit to dark.

no room is natural so dark... ok maybe the basement.... but i think this dinner is not in a dungeon ;3 hihi

maybe you create a "window" outside the camera view and create some moonlight that comes to the window.

Or for the same light colors you could create a chandelier over the head of the two lovers. :3

good luck!

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited December 1969

reserv888 said:

This is my own contribution. I am new to this and this is my first DAZ Studio render. I read the rules and there is now nudity in this one. Still I have more than a hunch this one will be deleted... but on the other hand, it might not. So here we go. It's called "Dancing in the Dark".

Your image looks better than my first render, that much is for sure! :-)

The cup-size of the ladies looks a little bit... unnatural. Maybe downsize them a little bit, to make it more harmonious? :-)

Also, I think you have to tweak your lights a bit. What kind of lights (key, fill, back, bounce) are you using on each character of your scene?

edited December 1969

I like this image a lot, I would not change the lighting, just the environment, floor and wall. Something dark and richer, deep walnut flooring, wainscoted wall, something to reflect a fine dining establishment rather than a basement. I think the light and composition is fine.

edited September 2013

reserv888 said:
    @DTaiko. Really like your render. A lot.

This is my own contribution. I am new to this and this is my first DAZ Studio render. I read the rules and there is now nudity in this one. Still I have more than a hunch this one will be deleted... but on the other hand, it might not. So here we go. It's called "Dancing in the Dark".

How to be honest and not offend. Hmmm. You have flow and movement, color, light. All good things, and the Melons just distract from all that.. Try some serious bust reduction, and I think you will see this.

My first render was a single girl standing on a floor with a badly done .jpg as background with Fiery Genesis lighting cause I was clueless.

You are ambitious for a first time attempt :)

Dancing_in_the_Dark_800x600.jpg
    473 x 396 - 62K
    Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

selias19 said:

Beautifully romantic. Only the background is a little dark. I love the candle light though.
    Sigrid

Thank you. I am still working on the lighting.

DTAiko said:
    @ Kismet2012

the scene looks good, i like how do you create the female and the glass looks also good. But i think the background light is ab bit to dark.

no room is natural so dark... ok maybe the basement.... but i think this dinner is not in a dungeon ;3 hihi

maybe you create a "window" outside the camera view and create some moonlight that comes to the window.

Or for the same light colors you could create a chandelier over the head of the two lovers. :3

good luck!

I know the lighting still needs work but wasn’t sure if the composition was okay.

I like this image a lot, I would not change the lighting, just the environment, floor and wall. Something dark and richer, deep walnut flooring, wainscoted wall, something to reflect a fine dining establishment rather than a basement. I think the light and composition is fine.

Very much a WIP. I can certainly change the textures. The wall especially was looking a little drab to me.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited September 2013

My personal feelings on the "bust issue"...

First consideration (for any image) is whether the image is appropriate for the forum, or whether it violates the Terms of Service (TOS). The TOS states that sexually suggestive images will be reviewed for appropriateness (even if there's no nudity). I'm not a moderator, so I can't tell you whether image crosses that line--though the fact that it hasn't been removed probably indicates that it's okay--but please do keep in mind that this is a family-friendly forum and post accordingly.

Aside from issues of appropriateness, I consider the exaggerated breasts to be a stylistic choice. In art, I don't think any stylistic choice is more or less valid than any other--the question is more about the techniques you use and how well you use them.

Regarding the lighting of the image:

In terms of aesthetics I like the setup for the most part...having the lights positioned such that they illuminate the edges of each character's profile (rim lighting) is a nice effect, and the quantity of light seems about right for the scene. But it also looks unnatural and therefore a little strange to me: what is casting the lights (meaning what are the sources of light within the scene, not what kind of DAZ Studio lights you used)? And why doesn't the ground plane seem to be affected?

In general this is a great start though, especially for your first DS render! Keep working at it and feel free to ask if you have specific questions. :)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

I love the expression and poses, and the foreground lighting is good. I agree with those who said the background is a bit dark.
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

How about this?

Keep i mind I Havevision issues, so if anything is off, feel free to say. something.

WIP.png
    640 x 480 - 310K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

How about this?

Keep i mind I Havevision issues, so if anything is off, feel free to say. something.

I think it's much better. With the doll more in focus, the viewer can see it more clearly. This is, imo, already a quite decent render. If you want to play with it some more, you could see whether softening the shadows, or having the doll look at the viewer, improves the scene or not. But that's really fine-tuning, I think.

• reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,126
    edited December 1969

@lee_lhs

The cup-size of the ladies looks a little bit... unnatural.
    You think.

Maybe downsize them a little bit, to make it more harmonious? :-)
    Oh, I am sorry, but I do believe thats against my religion.;)

@standfast

How to be honest and not offend. Hmmm.
    Now you are touching upon a favorite subject of mine. Though this was more of rethorical question, I will give you an answer anyway. As long as the opinion/criticism is both honest and done with warmth and care for the subject; you can say anything to anyone. That includes me. If the subject is offended anyway that's neither your fault, guilt nor problem.

You have flow and movement, color, light. All good things, and the Melons just distract from all that..

The theme of the pic is "bountilfulness". If I had had the props or the skills I would have added baskets overflowing with fruits etc. I have added som vases and I know for sure they contain lots of exquisite wines. :) I get your point, but reducing "the Melons" won't happen.

You point out som strange effects in the clothing. I do agree with you but thats the way the clothes were made. Maybe that loose fit detail would look better on a more realistic figure, but it would still be there.

@Scott-Livingston
    Aside from issues of appropriateness, I consider the exaggerated breasts to be a stylistic choice.

I agree. (And for some reason I also felt "thank you")

In terms of aesthetics I like the setup for the most part...having the lights positioned such that they illuminate the edges of each character's profile (rim lighting) is a nice effect, and the quantity of light seems about right for the scene. But it also looks unnatural and therefore a little strange to me: what is casting the lights (meaning what are the sources of light within the scene, not what kind of DAZ Studio lights you used)? And why doesn't the ground plane seem to be affected?

Interesting point of view. I had no problem att all myself with not knowing where the light comes from, but I have added som fireburners approximately where the lights are. The idea from the beginning was that the light should spread from the glowing pit which was meant to be a fire but I couldn't figure out how to do it. It is originally a bath I have modified the colours on but that didn't work out as I wanted so I added som more lights to get the feel in the scene I was looking for.

And why doesn't the ground plane seem to be affected?
    Valid point and honestly I don't know. I have added som ambience to the floor. Don't know if thats really what you meant, but it was the easisest way to add som light on the floor.

So here is a new version with:
    - some possible light sources
    - some props
    - more movement in the hairs
    - more light on the floor

Dancing_int_he_dark_3_ambience_floor_and_props_B.jpg
    800 x 600 - 280K
    edited December 1969

Program: DAZ3D Pro Beta

I have changed the texture on the wall and the floor is now a deep cherry wood. I also added a wall sconce with 2 point lights on the wall.

Please let me know what you think of the changes.

Anniversary_Dance_15.jpg
    565 x 800 - 212K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

reserv888 said:
    @lee_lhs
    The cup-size of the ladies looks a little bit... unnatural. You think.Maybe downsize them a little bit, to make it more harmonious? :-)
    Oh, I am sorry, but I do believe thats against my religion.;)Lighting is great, posing is great. Artist view of female figure not my "CUP DDD" of tea but very much allowed. Good work.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

How about this?

To my eyes this one is done. If you do more it could only be to the pose of the doll. I like this very much as is.
    edited December 1969

I have changed the texture on the wall and the floor is now a deep cherry wood. I also added a wall sconce with 2 point lights on the wall.

This is very close to right there to me. I see too much ambient light and not enough candle light. I would mostly kill the ambient lighting and increase the fall off on the candle lights and scone lights off camera for the rim light effect. This is not a lets do REAL contest this is a lets WOW them with the lighting contest. Some images WOW with real settings. Some need that extra touch. And to me many done so far would be better with more wow than real.

I do like that all users are learning, no matter the render or lights used. That is the idea after all.
    edited September 2013

I like it.

If it were my project I would consider cropping the image to accentuate the couple and give less dead space above them.
    I know I too often find the render window default size starts to dictate what I'm doing. Then I would consider what Jaiderall said and try those rim effects in a bit smaller frame.

Anniversary_Dance_15.jpg
    337 x 443 - 26K
    Post edited by Teofa on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited September 2013

reserv888 said:
    @lee_lhs
    The cup-size of the ladies looks a little bit... unnatural.
    You think.

Yes. Absolutely. See part two below for explanation.

Maybe downsize them a little bit, to make it more harmonious? :-)

Oh, I am sorry, but I do believe thats against my religion.;)

The dancers are out of balance in those poses you chose, if you put breast-weight into account, that's all I am saying. That is why it looks (at least, to me) unnatural, without balance and harmony.
    But I assume that this wasn not something you're aiming for in the first place, so just ignore my comments as a moot point. *shrugs*

Post edited by BeeMKay on
    edited September 2013

removed

Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

This pretty wow, but check the Mr. yawns left foot. Think it went into the floor on you.

edited September 2013

Jaderail said:
    This pretty wow, but check the Mr. yawns left foot. Think it went into the floor on you.

Egads. how did I miss that lol. I'll stab him for that.

hmm.png
    530 x 700 - 427K
    Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

This is very close to right there to me. I see too much ambient light and not enough candle light. I would mostly kill the ambient lighting and increase the fall off on the candle lights and scone lights off camera for the rim light effect. This is not a lets do REAL contest this is a lets WOW them with the lighting contest. Some images WOW with real settings. Some need that extra touch. And to me many done so far would be better with more wow than real.

I do like that all users are learning, no matter the render or lights used. That is the idea after all.

I was really struggling with the light from the wall sconce. Now I have a better idea why.

I even considered reducing the ambient light but was afraid that would make it too dark.

Thanks Jaderail.

I like it.

If it were my project I would consider cropping the image to accentuate the couple and give less dead space above them.
    I know I too often find the render window default size starts to dictate what I'm doing. Then I would consider what Jaiderall said and try those rim effects in a bit smaller frame.

Thank you for a great suggestion standfast.. I still struggle with composition and trying to find the best camera angle.

edited December 1969

How about this?

Looks very good. If you want to keep working on the lighting, you might experiment with lighting that's either a little dimmer, or a little less saturated. Not really sure if it would be better but that's probably the direction I'd go in, if it were my image.

And I agree with Jaderail about the doll's pose...nothing wrong with it, but a few tweaks could give the image more emotional/psychological impact.

edited September 2013

Here is the updated version.

I tried cropping out some of the dead space and tweaked the lighting.

Thanks standfast and Jaderail for the guidance.

Anniversary_Dance_23.jpg
    565 x 800 - 199K
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
  • keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If i may spend my 2c, Kismet, I'd go for 2 changes:

1- frame the scene in a square format; the vertical/portrait scheme is taking away 'breathing space' from the picture imo.

2- lower the camera position to a more natural eyepoint view: now it seems like a security cam take, and that is kind of disturbing (again, imo).