September 2013 NEW USER Contest WIP Thread

12345679»

Comments

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited September 2013

The lamps themselves look perfect to me. Now you just need to work on getting the character properly illuminated. That may require an additional (out-of-frame) light source.

Thanks Scott, I'm working on that as we speak! This all took longer than I expected to come close to what I wanted, but the tutorial was very helpful once I slowed down and worked through it step by step.

Post edited by IndigoJanson on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Jindi said:
    An idea I had while playing with some new toys from the PA sale.

Title: Harsh Light

I don't think anyone commented on this one yet. We've been seeing so much low light over here, it's good to have a contrasting image with harsh light. It does feel harsh and desolate, I want to fetch that poor horse a drink and half expect to see vultures circling above!

How did you light this one? I'm guessing light would be coming from dead above since horse doesn't have a noticeable shadow, which would be what we'd expect.

If the horse had been closer to the foreground I'd have suggested trying out depth of field to blend middle and background a little more. But moving it might lose that sense of loneliness, and he has a nice rule of thirds placement where he is.
    I was wondering about depth of field, too. The details in the foreground make the scene seem really empty...I know that's exactly your intent, but I wonder whether blurring out some of that detail might actually improve the effect?

Another thing that might help increase the sense of desolation (counterintuitively) is adding something to the scene: a clump of grass, a dead tree, some dried bones...

In terms of lighting, it looks fine to me. If you want to play up the "mood" of the mood lighting, you might experiment with even more intensity...not sure that will work, but it might be interesting to try.

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Jindi said:
    An idea I had while playing with some new toys from the PA sale.

Title: Harsh Light

I don't think anyone commented on this one yet. We've been seeing so much low light over here, it's good to have a contrasting image with harsh light. It does feel harsh and desolate, I want to fetch that poor horse a drink and half expect to see vultures circling above!

How did you light this one? I'm guessing light would be coming from dead above since horse doesn't have a noticeable shadow, which would be what we'd expect.

If the horse had been closer to the foreground I'd have suggested trying out depth of field to blend middle and background a little more. But moving it might lose that sense of loneliness, and he has a nice rule of thirds placement where he is.

I was wondering about depth of field, too. The details in the foreground make the scene seem really empty...I know that's exactly your intent, but I wonder whether blurring out some of that detail might actually improve the effect?

Another thing that might help increase the sense of desolation (counterintuitively) is adding something to the scene: a clump of grass, a dead tree, some dried bones...

In terms of lighting, it looks fine to me. If you want to play up the "mood" of the mood lighting, you might experiment with even more intensity...not sure that will work, but it might be interesting to try.

Thank-you both for the in-depth feedback-it really helped :-)

@ Jindi - The lights are a combination of Dimension Theory's Skies of Economy and some spotlights. The angle of the distant light representing the sun is at an angle that should represent 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Then the light on the horse and rocks is all spotlights and a point light around the horse's face.

@Scott - thanks for the idea. I have some of Lisa B's dead plants - I'll try those.

I'm not sure what DOF will do to the background since it's a skybox from Flipmode's Easy Environment series. I'll give it a try and see.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited December 1969

"Hearth"

Took away the screen, replaced the bulb light in the fireplace with glow lights from the flame objects. The color of the flame glow lghts are a gradient that includes yellow, orange, and a little red. I also have a soft bulb light next to the camera.

The trophy above the fireplace is the DAZ buck, and the rug is the Poser bear (which was flattened). Everything else was modeled and textured in Carrara. Rendered in Carrara.

Beginners_September_Entry_3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 44K
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

Doubt I be able to do more changes, but put it in here for now jsut to see if anyone has something to add :) Going off for a meeting and will be back later today.. hopefully in time to actually put it in Entry thread *smiles*

Changed the color of the fire to what I personally is far more satisfied with, not sure if it's perfect but way better than the other ones so far in my own opinion, but I am certainly not an expert *laughs*

Only postwork is adding my name and compress the size of the render :)

Nightcamp

nightcampfinalpw.jpg
    800 x 565 - 71K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

That is one Nice night scene to me. I would have left the Ambient just a bit higher but this really works too.

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    "Hearth"

Took away the screen, replaced the bulb light in the fireplace with glow lights from the flame objects. The color of the flame glow lghts are a gradient that includes yellow, orange, and a little red. I also have a soft bulb light next to the camera.

The trophy above the fireplace is the DAZ buck, and the rug is the Poser bear (which was flattened). Everything else was modeled and textured in Carrara. Rendered in Carrara.

This has the look of a really cozy room. It would be a great place to be on a cold winter night.

edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    Doubt I be able to do more changes, but put it in here for now jsut to see if anyone has something to add :) Going off for a meeting and will be back later today.. hopefully in time to actually put it in Entry thread *smiles*

Changed the color of the fire to what I personally is far more satisfied with, not sure if it's perfect but way better than the other ones so far in my own opinion, but I am certainly not an expert *laughs*

Only postwork is adding my name and compress the size of the render :)

Nightcamp

The fire looks much better.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

Thank you both, just returned home from a less than satisfying meeting regarding my worksituation, so I admit I can't really get in the mood to do more work on this one t the moment, so I will post it in the entry thread :)

*hugs*

Carola

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2013

Don't forget. TODAY IS THE LAST DAY so make sure you transfer your entries over into the Actual Contest Thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/28361/

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Nice work Carola! This one has come a long way.

SGCBearcub, OK, seems a good choice in any case for giving the impression of dazzling light and heat. I look forward to seeing what you do with props.

diomede64, good work with the firelight with those nice long shadows it creates, also kudos for including your own models. It has all come together well.

edited December 1969

Talk about last minute... I have a final couple of tweaks to do such as rescuing her foot from that rug!

I loved the idea of adding a Victrola (thanks Standfast) and did grab one and add it to my runtime. Unfortunately would you believe the moment I tried to add it to the scene, Studio crashed. Probably complete coincidence. I didn't risk a second attempt as I'm so short on time now, but kept the model download to try another time.

dancing_test4c.jpg
    600 x 848 - 235K
    edited September 2013

Jindi said:
    Talk about last minute... I have a final couple of tweaks to do such as rescuing her foot from that rug!

I loved the idea of adding a Victrola (thanks Standfast) and did grab one and add it to my runtime. Unfortunately would you believe the moment I tried to add it to the scene, Studio crashed. Probably complete coincidence. I didn't risk a second attempt as I'm so short on time now, but kept the model download to try another time.

Why is it stuff always happens when you do not have time to deal with it properly?

I am sure you will get a chance to use that Victrola in another render.

I am looking forward to seeing your finished render in the Contest Thread...after you have rescued her foot from the rug.

Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited December 1969

Why is it stuff always happens when you do not have time to deal with it properly?

I am sure you will get a chance to use that Victrola in another render.

I am looking forward to seeing your finished render in the Contest Thread...after you have rescued her foot from the rug.

Too true! Thanks for the encouragement, it's been fun working on these together. I took a peek at the contest entry thread and I'm impressed.

Not sure why my image looks so grainy when I attach it here. Thankfully it's OK if you click on it to see it enlarged...

OK, let's go see if I have a finished render to enter and I'll call it a day! :)

edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    "Hearth"

Good job repurposing the buck and the bear. The lighting looks rather nice. I think this works as a final entry, though if you have time to re-render you might increase ambient lighting a little, and/or go for a slightly warmer hue.
    edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    Thank you both, just returned home from a less than satisfying meeting regarding my worksituation, so I admit I can't really get in the mood to do more work on this one t the moment, so I will post it in the entry thread :)

*hugs*

Carola

I like the direction you've gone with this. (Sorry to hear the meeting didn't go well)
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    "Hearth"

Good job repurposing the buck and the bear. The lighting looks rather nice. I think this works as a final entry, though if you have time to re-render you might increase ambient lighting a little, and/or go for a slightly warmer hue.

Thanks for the feedback. I wish I had time to experiment more with your lighting suggestions, but I needed to get it in the entry thread before the deadline.

@Kismet2012. Thanks for the kind words. Cozy was what I was going for.

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited December 1969

Liking all teh entries. Good luck everyone! (I'll be away for a couple of says, so I may not be around to congratulate the winners immediately so.. in advance!)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited October 2013

CONTEST CLOSED

Post edited by Chohole on