September 2013 NEW USER Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• hawkonthewinghawkonthewing Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

Title: Exploring the Cave

I was trying to get the kind of lighting you would get in a cave with one torch, not sure if that worked.

Any feedback is welcome!

Exploring.jpg
    800 x 640 - 120K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Title: Exploring the Cave

I was trying to get the kind of lighting you would get in a cave with one torch, not sure if that worked.

Any feedback is welcome!

Looks pretty darn good to me.
  • VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

This is only one spotlight.

WIP.png
    640 x 480 - 119K
    edited December 1969

This is only one spotlight.
    Good start. Now tell us the story about the doll with the rest of the set. I know this is a WIP so keep on with the good work.
  • selias19selias19 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

I finally managed to add a glow to the lamp shade (I forgot all about UberArea light because I seldom used it before).
    Is it too intensive? What do you think?

Title:
    A Quiet evening

Rendered in Daz 4.5

AQuietEveningWithGlow_selias19.jpg
    800 x 800 - 225K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    TobiasG said:
    I darkened Satsuki's feet a bit, to blend her in the environment (and to fit in better with the dark ground around the mutant's feet area), and let her face stand out better.

Thoughts?

This is looking very good. To me the only thing that detracts from the image is the Hair color. I think it would look much better with a real world hair color rather than a she is a rebel type hair color.

Brownish hair fits better in the general color scheme, you're right. I think blonde would be too in-your-face.

Hide_n_Seek_Brunette.jpg
    600 x 800 - 237K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Hologram Report WIP

Even though I have been working with DAZ for over a year, I still consider myself a novice...especially when it comes to lighting. I liked Jaderails' suggestion in the description of the contest -- which brought to mind a 'hologram report' I threw together for a PC Weekly contest.

I wasn't really happy with my entry but I did like the hologram I created.The base was/is a free download over at Sharecg, the model is V4 with Complicated Eve outfit. I then created a Geometry Shell of her and used pwEffect - the model and clothing opacity is moved down to 75 & 50 % respectfully.

Now to my lighting and questions: ATM - I am only using 2 light...a spotlight at the base of the hologram disk pointing up. Tight beam and at about 50% intensity. Then I added a Linerpointlight right in front of the hologram's nose (btw - her name is Athena) at 75% intensity and falloff at 100-200. Both lights are the same (or close) blue as the pwrEffect on the hologram. Only the lpl has shadows turned on.

Now my question...why does the Coalition Rapier Armor show a light/reflection coming from behind him? Shouldn't he be cloaked in shadows since I don't have any lights in that area?

Of course, I am always open to suggestions and critiques. Thanks in advance.

The hologram is very nicely done. I'm wondering about the Rapier Armor's reflection too...maybe it uses a reflection map instead of raytraced reflections? Check the settings on the Surfaces pane... If not that, then maybe the light is being reflected off something else and then bouncing to the armor...
  • SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Well, not the dark image i was going for, but i think I like this sunrise one better.
    Personally I never had a issue with the first lighting, I was only helping with the posing. Now this pose says fatigue to me.

Thank-you very much for the feedback. It definitely helps.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Most places have some Ambient light (fill light) not many places in the world are 100% dark just because it is night. Even setting in my room at midnight with the lights off I can see my room somewhat. Lights from my windows cast from street lights across the road, a Full moon will really add light. To get good renders think in real world terms. Heck even test it some time for yourself. Turn off your lights with your eyes closed for a few seconds then open them. Now look around, you will be surprised just how much you can see.

Definitely helpful to keep this in mind...while everyone is off to a good start, I think there are several images in the thread that can benefit from more ambient light (also known as "fill light"). There are a few different ways to accomplish this...

1. You could add a bunch of dim basic lights (point, spot, or distant lights), to add a bit of illumination to otherwise dark areas.

2. Use image-based lighting, like UberEnvironment2* in DAZ Studio. I found this tutorial on IBL for Poser, but since I don't use Poser I can't say much about it...

*UE2 basics: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/26122/
    More complicated (but also more informative): http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5320/

Another thing to keep in mind as far as the contest is concerned...when it comes to setting a mood, the color of the lighting often plays a huge role. These articles (article 1 and article 2) focus on film, but the same principles apply to still images.

• t.lightt.light Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

I not have too many props, so I had the idea of a scene someone playing chess.
    The chessboard has not too much detail, so I did the render with shallow DOF.
    Had to change the white figures shader from default to glass to make them look more glowing (which I find to be a little tricky...)
    I used one uberenv2, 4 distant lights (one from below) and one point light.

Maybe I´ll ad environment like Aslan court for the background when store credit from last contest has arrived :-)

The brows and the eyes lack a little of naturalism (I´m from photography ...), but these are the best presets I found in my library.
    Any ideas?

NiaChess1.jpg
    800 x 533 - 71K
    edited September 2013

tlight23 said:
    Had to change the white figures shader from default to glass to make them look more glowing (which I find to be a little tricky...)

Maybe I´ll ad environment like Aslan court for the background when store credit from last contest has arrived :-)

The brows and the eyes lack a little of naturalism (I´m from photography ...), but these are the best presets I found in my library.
    Any ideas?

I think this is a pretty good start. Two things I'd consider: for one, the background is very dark, even if this were a dark room. You could, for instance, add a Primitive plane as a wall, and just put some sort of wall-ish texture on it. There's tons of free textures available online, or you could just take a picture of the wall next to you :)
    Second, the chess board seems to be pretty high. If you lower the board relative to the woman, you could get a more hunched-over-the-board, concentrated pose, with the eyes more clearly fixed on the game.

Just suggestions, of course.

Post edited by TobiasG on
  • edited December 1969

Hi, i'm just curious as to what would label a NEW user.... I've been with daz for many years, but for the past two years, i haven't used daz, and now there's daz 4.6 and genesis n all. So i'm absoulutely new to daz 4.6, and have forgotten most of what i had learned. As i am interested in this competition (cos my lighting is one thing i need help on) i was wondering if i would be able to enter.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes, but you are posting in the wrong thread, as this is the entry thread, not the WIP thread. So I will moeve your post over into the WIP thread for you.

edited December 1969

tlight23 said:

Any ideas?

Your lighting looks great to me, and I like the DOF.

What I'd like to see is some interaction between the woman and the chessboard...maybe she's gazing at it, or her hand is hovering near the pieces, etc. Might help to make the scene more cohesive.

edited December 1969

I tried to get rid of the green glow without loosing the green lamp shade since I am going for a cozy feeling for my picture. I even tried to make the lamp shade red but I simply didn't like that. So I intensified the light from the fireplace (is it too intense now? What do you think?), I changed the color of my distant light to orange as well and I even changed her dress and the wall paper to more reddish colors. I toned down the glow of the lamp shade as well.
    Any comments would be welcome.

AQuietEveningLessGreen_selias19.jpg
    800 x 800 - 37K
    edited December 1969

I'm liking this...

• keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm having a little trouble to comment on this month works... first because they all look good! but second because i'm seeing them almost all quite dark, almost too dark in some cases...

Maybe it's my monitor? (I'd appreciate a quick reply in case noone else thinks many of the WIP posts are definitely dark...)

edited December 1969

kesh said:
    I'm having a little trouble to comment on this month works... first because they all look good! but second because i'm seeing them almost all quite dark, almost too dark in some cases...

Maybe it's my monitor? (I'd appreciate a quick reply in case noone else thinks many of the WIP posts are definitely dark...)

It could be the settings of your monitor. On my other PC my picture looks much lighter than on this one for example. So maybe if you try to add contrast or adjust the lightness you could see them better. My picture IS quite dark though, since it is a night scene. Still, there is light to see something.
    Sigrid

edited December 1969

kesh said:

I had the same issue from my computer. When I checked the thread this morning with my phone, several renders were much brighter.

I started with a second entry, which is still very much a WIP. What I'd like know is this: I'd like to have that circle glow. How do I do that? With Area Lights? How do I apply them? Thanks!

Evil_Asian.jpg
    800 x 600 - 224K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

kesh said:

Mine looks really dark on this monitor ( I am at work ). :ohh: I am sure it wasn't THAT dark on my home monitor...but my monitor at home is larger and newer than the one I use at work.

I am planning on working on the lighting next. Maybe I better check it out on various monitors after posting?

• t.lightt.light Posts: 18
    edited December 1969

Thank you TobiasG and Scott Livingston!

I can not lower the chessboard now....., she is not dressed at the moment ;-)

edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    kesh said:

I had the same issue from my computer. When I checked the thread this morning with my phone, several renders were much brighter.

I started with a second entry, which is still very much a WIP. What I'd like know is this: I'd like to have that circle glow. How do I do that? With Area Lights? How do I apply them? Thanks!If this is a Map on a plane for a GLOW you just set Ambient to on in the surfaces tab and add the color to it. Try full white. But then If it is producing light that your after Area light it is, and Remember the light will only come from one side so you might need to flip it to light the figure.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the advice - alas, I already have Ambient at 200% (I just thought, What the frack, why not go all out? :) ).

I just now flipped the plane (it's indeed a plane, with a Diffuse + Opacity map), but this doesn't change much - the lines are just red, or white, or whatever I set Ambient color to. I tried to apply a Basic Area Light (double click when selected), and while this adds a few options in the Surfaces tab (Intensity, Shadow and so on), it doesn't change the look of the plane.
    With an UberVolume Sphere on top of the plane, I get a nice fuzzy look, but the UberVolume makes Point Lights look weird (and, of course, doesn't add a glow).
    I guess I could point Spot Lights at the plane, and try to darken the wall behind it with darklights to offset the overspill...

To get a glow with, ideally, a brighter center, do I just need another prop, or possibly postwork; or is this something I can set up with this primitive I'm using?

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    edited September 2013

I'm trying to get a sharp contrast between the "dark side" and the "warm side" of this guy, aided by the light. I've used a shader and made part of his clothing invisible to get a better effect.
    But it somehow doesn't turn out the way I thought when I set it up. I used mostly spot lights and some dim distant light. The background and the gate have a very slight ambient light. I think I'm doing something wrong.

Render-7.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 917K
    Post edited by BeeMKay on
    edited December 1969

lee_lhs said:
    I'm trying to get a sharp contrast between the "dark side" and the "warm side" of this guy, aided by the light. I've used a shader and made part of his clothing invisible to get a better effect.
    But it somehow doesn't turn out the way I thought when I set it up. I used mostly spot lights and some dim distant light. The background and the gate have a very slight ambient light. I think I'm doing something wrong.

I think he needs a rim light on the dark side, to accentuate the edge of his body. The light (maybe a spotlight, but you could try different things) should be coming at him from somewhere behind him.

Also if can get part of his face into the shadows, that might help.

• KyricusKyricus Posts: 44
    edited September 2013

OK, here we go with a "cleaned" up version. I'm not quite as happy with the lighting on this. I think the shadow on her lower leg is way to dark, but the only way I could find to brighten that up made it look as if the lighting wasn't coming from the candle.

Using
    Uberenvironment2 base
    point light on the candle
    2 - overhead spots.

Advice, comments, tomato's..whatever, it's all appreciated.

I call this one...Sleeping

Sleeping_1_-_lighting_contest.jpg
    1592 x 892 - 164K
    Post edited by Kyricus on
  • Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Here's something I'm working on, as you can see its not the greatest, but its a start...

wip12.jpg
    800 x 800 - 159K
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Adjusted the lighting. I have a spotlight pretending to be a full moon. An outside light over the door, a point light inside the fridge and UE2 with the full moon setting.

On my home monitor I can clearly see the window mullions (upper right and across top), beams across the ceiling and the upper corner of the front door (lower right hand corner).

I will check this on a different monitor tomorrow to see how dark it appears.

Midnight_Snack_33.jpg
    565 x 800 - 158K
  • Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Ok, so I've done a little tweaking, got rid of the blue man thing...not quite the effect I was looking for, still not sure if I want him being a ghost or not

wip17.jpg
    800 x 800 - 110K
  • KyricusKyricus Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

@mcjam24 I really like the second image. The shadows seem more realistic, and the ones on the floor are softer. I like it. I kinda like the ghost idea too, though I agree the blue man ghost wasn't quite cutting it. I think stick with the ghost, you can imagine a story with the ghost in the shot.