September 2013 NEW USER Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    Alright. I set the values as shown in the screenshot, and got the result you see. I also checked the other side of the plane, but there was no difference.
    First Ambient is not turned ON, the Samples (the quality of the Light cast) is only at 8, 32 or 64 would be better. And one version of DS has Broken Area lights. Which version are you using?
  • edited December 1969

Fantastic kit-bashing, Chohole. It works seamlessly.

• TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited September 2013

Jaderail said:
    TobiasG said:
    Alright. I set the values as shown in the screenshot, and got the result you see. I also checked the other side of the plane, but there was no difference.
    First Ambient is not turned ON, the Samples (the quality of the Light cast) is only at 8, 32 or 64 would be better. And one version of DS has Broken Area lights. Which version are you using?

Duh - turning it on should have been obvious, really - stupid mistake.

I'm using 4.6. Is that one broken?

Edit: Here's one render of just the circle from behind, and one from the front. While both have a nice ambient glow (now that it's turned on!), they're not showing the Area Light glow.

Circle_Front.jpg
    800 x 600 - 52K
    Circle_Back.jpg
    800 x 600 - 69K
    Post edited by TobiasG on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Title: Midnight Snack

Re-worked the lighting.

Midnight_Snack_39.jpg
    565 x 800 - 197K
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

Finalyl got my render to stop fighting against me :)

One UE2 - fullmoon, one spotlight to imitate a soft, pale light from the moon and one linear pointlight for the fire

Night Camp

nightcamppw.jpg
    800 x 565 - 55K
  • SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Here's another one I've been working on.

The Invitation

The_invitation.jpg
    642 x 565 - 232K
    edited September 2013

TobiasG said:

Edit: Here's one render of just the circle from behind, and one from the front. While both have a nice ambient glow (now that it's turned on!), they're not showing the Area Light glow.

They will not SHOW a glow, but one side will cast light like in my example, it comes from the Y axes of a plane object. That makes the light on my figure I posted. It all came from the Plane and the Area light. You will never see it until you point it at a object. Also check out FALL OFF End. The higher that is the father the light will go before fading out. BIG TIP: never touch FALL OFF start unless you really enjoy math of a high order.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Re-worked the lighting.

I'm thinking your going to far with ambient now. To me the MOST light should be coming from inside the fridge and not from the outside/background.
    edited September 2013

Carola O said:

One UE2 - fullmoon, one spotlight to imitate a soft, pale light from the moon and one linear pointlight for the fire

Night Camp

Close, I would adjust the POINT light to cast more of a shade of color from the Fire. That would help IMHO.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

The Invitation

Looking good.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Carola O said:

Night Camp

Close, I would adjust the POINT light to cast more of a shade of color from the Fire. That would help IMHO.

*tilt head* if I understood that right, you mean to actually make it look more yelloworange, the light that is? Will try that, and if I misusdnerstood just bonk me on the head :)

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Re-worked the lighting.

I'm thinking your going to far with ambient now. To me the MOST light should be coming from inside the fridge and not from the outside/background.

I agree. It has been difficult finding a middle ground that does not look too bright on my monitor and too dark on ohter monitors.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078
    edited December 1969

Still working on fireplace scene using Carrara. Replaced anything glows on flames with bulb lights in the fireplace. Also, although out of frame, there is a window on the righthand side. I used a spotlight on the other side of the side wall to mimic light coming through that window. And stupid question, but when is the entry deadline?

Suggestions welcome.

WIP_Fireplace_2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 45K
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    TobiasG said:

They will not SHOW a glow, but one side will cast light like in my example, it comes from the Y axes of a plane object. That makes the light on my figure I posted. It all came from the Plane and the Area light. You will never see it until you point it at a object. Also check out FALL OFF End. The higher that is the father the light will go before fading out. BIG TIP: never touch FALL OFF start unless you really enjoy math of a high order.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up - I was expecting something different. I think I got it now :)

Here's a more finalized render, with a few tweaks. I thought about staining the hand a bit with some sort of goo, but that might be too much.

What do you think?

Circle_smoke_4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 123K
    edited December 1969

Midnight Snack

Tweaked the lighting again.

*This is my third attempt at posting. Hopefully this won't show up 3 times*

Midnight_Snack_49.jpg
    565 x 800 - 180K
  • keshkesh Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

TobiasG: great and of very cool effect!

Imo, the only suggestion i might offer is to use dark color eyes for her, to make em more visible, and with just that small touch of contrast increase the dramaticity of the picture.

I wouldn't touch anything else.

edited December 1969

Thanks! I do like it myself :)

Manami lent me her reddish-brown eyes, which fit well with the overall color scheme. I'll sleep over it, but I think I'll submit this one.

Circle_Smoke_5-2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 122K
    edited December 1969

Let's see, I made the Pointlight more fiery orange in color, though somehow it almost seems to bleed out and not show much color in the actual render. It's 100% intensity, fall off start at default and fall off end also at default. It do give a little bit more color than the yellowish one I had on the first render.

The Spotlight imitating the moon is at 90% intensity (was at 100% on the first render) and the UE2 are at, uhm.. think it's 90% too unless I changed it back to 100%

Nightcamp

nightcamporangepw.jpg
    800 x 565 - 52K
    edited December 1969

TobiasG said:
    Thanks! I do like it myself :)

Manami lent me her reddish-brown eyes, which fit well with the overall color scheme. I'll sleep over it, but I think I'll submit this one.

Looking good now Tobias. Well done.
    edited December 1969

Midnight Snack

Tweaked the lighting again.

*This is my third attempt at posting. Hopefully this won't show up 3 times*

That looks VERY Good now. I think you got it just right.
    edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    Let's see, I made the Pointlight more fiery orange in color, though somehow it almost seems to bleed out and not show much color in the actual render. It's 100% intensity, fall off start at default and fall off end also at default. It do give a little bit more color than the yellowish one I had on the first render.

The Spotlight imitating the moon is at 90% intensity (was at 100% on the first render) and the UE2 are at, uhm.. think it's 90% too unless I changed it back to 100%

Nightcamp

Try setting the fall off higher, if that does not help enough increase the strength of the Point light till it gets more of the Camp fire light look. Right now it is almost as if the camp fire is not adding any light to the scene. I camped lots, a full moon does not wash out all the light from a fire.
    edited December 1969

I agree, funny thing is. When I turn off the light from the fire, the whole render gets more bluish. So it does show just not giving much color for osme reason. I will try it and we see what I come up with :)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited September 2013

Kismet2012: the light looks good now. You might want to try increasing specularity on the character's skin, as it looks a bit dry/flat to me. Rather than messing with the surface settings themselves, you might consider adding an additional light with illumination set to Specular Only.

(Edited to replace previous comment, as I had replied to the wrong version of the image)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    I agree, funny thing is. When I turn off the light from the fire, the whole render gets more bluish. So it does show just not giving much color for osme reason. I will try it and we see what I come up with :)

I guess the blue and orange are kind of cancelling each other out (which makes some sense). Not sure what the fix is, but I agree with the diagnosis: the campfire's light should be giving the surrounding area more of an orange glow. The areas that are more distant from the fire I think look very good.
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:
    Still working on fireplace scene using Carrara. Replaced anything glows on flames with bulb lights in the fireplace. Also, although out of frame, there is a window on the righthand side. I used a spotlight on the other side of the side wall to mimic light coming through that window. And stupid question, but when is the entry deadline?

Suggestions welcome.

The effect of the bulb lights is good I think, except for the color, which doesn't look like firelight to me. It's too white--try more of a yellow-orange.

The entry deadline is (I assume...Jaderail correct me if I'm wrong) end-of-day DAZ-time, September 30.

edited December 1969

The Invitation

I like the appearance of the lighting very much. I do wonder what could be causing that strong blue illumination (for instance, is there an alien spaceship located just off-camera, perhaps? That would make this quite an invitation indeed!)

The character's pose looks a bit stiff, otherwise I think it's a great image overall.

• VIArtsVIArts Posts: 1,496
    edited December 1969

Second WIP:

WIP.png
    640 x 480 - 128K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Suggestions welcome.

I have to admit I preferred the fire in the first WIP

Oh and good spot about the deadline not having been posted. It is normally the last day of the Month, I will check and sk Jaderail to update the first post.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078
    edited December 1969

diomede64 said:

Suggestions welcome.

The effect of the bulb lights is good I think, except for the color, which doesn't look like firelight to me. It's too white--try more of a yellow-orange.

The entry deadline is (I assume...Jaderail correct me if I'm wrong) end-of-day DAZ-time, September 30.

Scott-Livingston and Chohole - thanks for the suggestions. I really struggle with lighting. I'll keep experimenting. The color of the light in the first WIP used the shader from the flame models, and that shader used a gradient. I think that might be part of why Chohole prefers that setup. I'll see if I can get the mix of colors from the first lighting setup integrated into the second.

• reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,126
    edited September 2013

@DTaiko. Really like your render. A lot.

This is my own contribution. I am new to this and this is my first DAZ Studio render. I read the rules and there is now nudity in this one. Still I have more than a hunch this one will be deleted... but on the other hand, it might not. So here we go. It's called "Dancing in the Dark".

Dancing_in_the_Dark_800x600.jpg
    800 x 600 - 273K
    Post edited by reserv888 on