First impressions of Dawn?.....V4 is safe.

Comments

• edited December 1969

ok

v4 obj file straight from runtime directory poly count 66830

dawn obj straight from runtime directory poly count 39326

still very confused as to how dawn has a Higher? poly count

I used v4 as the only way i have found to get genesis as an obj is to export from daz

How are other people doing a comparison to have a higher poly count for dawn

• XdyeXdye Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Xdye said:
    Jaw should be more round
    Says who? I mean, if this is your standard it is cool with me but isn't it your standard only?
    also the chin is too lower and needs more round too
    Have you ever considered non-Caucasian or not purely North American/Western European Caucasian women? Dawn's default skin is not pale as milk Caucasian for example, and females of different ethnic groups have different features as you undoubtedly know. Still, all of them are in fact female, jaws, chins and everything. Saying that all variety of women should be mandatory narrowed down to a single bodytype/face profile of glamorized white model and no other defaults in poser/DS models should ever be possible is to deny the huge diversity that women are. Dawn is different from DAZ3D and other female models. Is that such a bad thing?

Dawn is not athletic,
    You are free to have your own opinion but she is definitely athletic to me.

i am the first that i morph genesis to not be a supermodel

Maybe you'd give Dawn a shot then? She might surprise you in a good way. As soon as they get her legs length morph, at least, anyway. Basic morphs are definitely lacking at this point.

Then i never said a shemale can't be attractive

Please, in Wikipedia find "shemale" article and read second line of the first paragraph. Shemale is a highly offensive, derogatory term when applied to transsexual or transgender women. If you meant that she is transgender, transsexual or masculine, just say transgender, transsexual or masculine, please, it is a better way. Just to note, though, that she definitely doesn't have a part that would qualify her as a "male" in any possible way or respect in case if there were any doubts of that.

i think if you buy a femenine figure, should be so femenine as possible
    Why? Is there a law for that? I mean, I know there isn't any so it is again a matter of personal preference. Personally I'm tired of dolls with bland faces, pale skins and soft bodies because at my opinion this is a stereotype that is outliving itself on practice and yet still somehow being pushed on people by media like we still in 40s. I like that Dawn is different. I like that she isn't conventionally pretty, that she dares do not emulate, at least not fully the "female must be soft and timid" theme that is so prevalent in other female figures. Character sets will make her into that chick for sure but at least her defaults are different and I like to work with them when I need a different feel of woman - not masculine, just different. I like that she is much more contemporary-looking woman even if I think her legs are still too long, IMHO, and she urgently needs Pear/Heavy morphs.

Again, this is my opinion only, take it for what it is, and I fully agree to disagree on matters of personal tastes. If you don't like her, sure, don't use her, many figures didn't click with me either but demanding that her defaults should be turned in the same conventionally pretty girl that we have with any other female figure in at least recent eight years would be to rob poserverse of little versatility it just got.

P.S. Multiple edits because I overreacted a bit initially. My apologies if you read the first variation.

Apologies for the shemale word, i am not native english, so i thought was the word, that said saying that dawn is a man is kinda exagerated, i said transexual cos has man features.

Load v6 and dawn and if u think that dawn is more femenine than V6, then kudos to you. I would say also that V6 is more anatomically correct than dawn, at least where i live girls seems more like V6 than dawn despite the color skin, and its funny all this glamourized idea tha you have and that dawn is more like real girls, then where u live all the girls should have done breast surgery. Also please stop with the athletic excuse, V6 has even more abs than dawn. In the other side try Gia, she is femenine still agressive not timid and bland doll like u say all daz figures does.

Now if we speak about gn2, she is more similar to dawn, so maybe as i said its all technical things or marketing, maybe daz did gn2 like this cos is free and that way make u buy V6, like dawn could be have done the same, we will see if they realease new figures based on dawn, or maybe are this way to convert them in male more easy. I really don't know about this stuff.

As far as I see i really don't care about dawn if artits continue support gn2, in my opinion dawn is a step forward for poser users and a step back for daz users, lets hope this figure don't divide still more the market, cos if i start to see only items for dawn poser optimized, then i will feel sad.

To end i share a comparsion image, with the preload figures without touch naything, V6, dawn and Gn2, then judge by urself

comparsion.jpg
    995 x 1129 - 144K
  • wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited December 1969

Grimwolf said:
    ok

v4 obj file straight from runtime directory poly count 66830

dawn obj straight from runtime directory poly count 39326

still very confused as to how dawn has a Higher? poly count

I used v4 as the only way i have found to get genesis as an obj is to export from daz

How are other people doing a comparison to have a higher poly count for dawn

If I remember correctly, the comparison was with Genesis and not V4. Of course, I could be mistaken.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited August 2013

I tried fetal pose for both Dawn and G2F assuming that they both athletic enough to bend in ways I can't while staying within limits. The idea was to match both poses (knees up to chin, head bent, left hand touching the ankle (I think it is ankle) part of foot) as close as possible while still within limits of both figures. I didn't work much on breasts if at all because in this pose they deform the way regular morphs and posing can't help with.
    I don't see anything drastically inhuman with Dawn, considering some people can bend in ways I can't and with different human bodies you'd get different pose appearance. I certainly can't get into same pose to check it myself. Looking at this picture as a reference I'd say that G2F knees are too sharp while Dawn would certainly benefit from some smoother Thigh to Pelvis bend, although I'm yet to try that exact pose on both figures. Also I couldn't find a way to move G2F thumb closer to hand, although I suspect I just missed it somewhere.
    Their proportions seems to be different with Dawn slightly longer torso and neck. I also forgot to mirror right foot pose on Dawn, this is why it sticks differently.

Below them is default V4 trying same pose with limits on (she might or might not have additional JCMs for bending, I don't remember but most of her leg and torso bends are on maximums within limits)

FetalPosition.jpg
    811 x 836 - 112K
    Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    I tried fetal pose for both Dawn and G2F)...

That's creative posing, but in a fetal position the abdomen and chest bends more than what you're doing.

Fetal_Position_by_Pixel_Sage.jpg
    245 x 320 - 20K
    edited December 1969

G2F has 21098 polygons with Basic Resolution and zero subdivision as far as I can tell.

• ArkathanArkathan Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

Things I like:

Takes Genesis poses fairly well. Some adjustment is needed, but that is normal between different Genesis shapes, so no added workload there.
    Auto Fit works for the several pieces I tried, even though unsupported. (Hair needs work and did not try shoes)
    Specific cup sizes in the breast morphs allows for quickly adapting your preference without adjusting several dials.

Dislikes: Smile expressions look somewhere between V3 and V4. Close to a decade of improvements in expressions seem to have been ignored on the base model.
    After playing with Genesis she feels like a step backwards - and this opinion is not due to the relative lack of shaping options in the free base figure, as compared to Genesis (Admittedly, I buy the morph packs right away with DAZ bases - and went cheap on Dawn's trial with only the free stuff). She might feel like an improvement over V4 with the Poser crowds that shunned DSON and Genesis, assuming she gets the support.

Personally, I think I liked Antonia better. For me, the only way she'll get much use is as a morph ported in for Genesis.

Dawn_1.jpg
    1483 x 1920 - 226K
    edited December 1969

Dawn's hip/thigh rig is just horrible. The thigh's pivot point are in the wrong place.

Dawn3.jpg
    1111 x 1051 - 145K
    Dawn4.jpg
    1111 x 1051 - 161K
    Dawn2.jpg
    1111 x 1051 - 183K
    edited December 1969

That’s creative posing, but in a fetal position the abdomen and chest bends more than what you’re doing.

You didn't specify the pose, so I used as extreme bending as I could. The one that you've shown is also different from this pose for example while both of them are fetal poses. Yours doesn't look that much fetal as "The Thinker"-like pose to me, being also male which might influence things in real world if not in digital. Do you have more extreme fetal position for woman I can use as a reference?
  • edited December 1969

Ok alls well now
    It was my bad on the exporting genesis from daz

I now have a better comparison

Sorry to have decryed poor Dawn

too be honest Dawns face does need to be softened up and made more feminine

edited August 2013

Xdye said:
    Load v6 and dawn and if u think that dawn is more femenine than V6, then kudos to you.
    I don't own and won't own V6 (unless I'm gifted it to mess around with) but my point is that Dawn is feminine as she is, without need to soften her more, to be a representation of a woman.

I would say also that V6 is more anatomically correct than dawn
    Um...Never cared about those "buy pro bundle to get" morphs, really. But I guess people will catch up and add anatomically correct details pretty fast.

at least where i live girls seems more like V6 than dawn despite the color skin, and its funny all this glamourized idea tha you have and that dawn is more like real girls, then where u live all the girls should have done breast surgery.
    Her breasts could be more natural and smaller, I agree here, but I suspect the sacrifices were made in development to keep her appealing to wider audience. C-cups aren't also my choice, I'd go for something smaller.

If I'd develop a female figure that mimics most of females around me she'd be 65-75 kg chubby thing of middle thirties years old with much shorter legs and some character in face because this is sort of default realism in female figure I'd like to have one day, although I also highly suspect that nobody would like her except of me.

Still, those breasts don't make her _masculine_ which I thought was a point of your critique. Maybe not entirely natural, but not masculine because masculine chest area usually doesn't have any breasts at all, much less something that... heavy.

Also please stop with the athletic excuse,

You can fully believe that this is excuse, I won't deny you that, but Dawn default just isn't representation of (mandatory) soft female body that most of other figures use, that is all.

V6 has even more abs than dawn. In the other side try Gia, she is femenine still agressive not timid and bland doll like u say all daz figures does.

Neither V6 not Gia are defaults for G2F but morphpacks and G2F herself is deliberately softer (and blander at my opinion). This is done that way to help with more drastic out of default morphing, but Dawn seems to go a different way, having a more character in default. As I said, from my experience, if she is given a number of morphs compared to what Genesis have, morphing her into different (softer or more chiseled) shapes isn't any more problem than with G2F with same morphs.
    There is already a glamorized and more petite character for Dawn and it has been only a couple of days, while V6 and Gia had months in development. Give Dawn a year of good development and then we could see how much morphpacks would change the situation. They might, they might as well not, but I hope Capsces or Sarsa or Colm would give her better and bigger morphpacks and characters.

Now if we speak about gn2, she is more similar to dawn, so maybe as i said its all technical things or marketing, maybe daz did gn2 like this cos is free and that way make u buy V6
    Could be, I mean, people who did Dawn are former DAZ3D people so "free razor, paid blades" model is still very much possible.

As far as I see i really don't care about dawn if artits continue support gn2, in my opinion dawn is a step forward for poser users and a step back for daz users, lets hope this figure don't divide still more the market, cos if i start to see only items for dawn poser optimized, then i will feel sad.
    Well said and lets hope for the better for everybody :)

Post edited by Kattey on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,860
    edited December 1969

It is a good idea to remember, when commenting on the appearance of a 3d figure, that real people come in a variety of forms and features - saying something slighting about a 3D figure can very easily come across as being slighting about the reader or one of the reader's friends or relations. It is worth taking the extra care to avoid this to avoid unnecessary hurt and to keep the conversation civil and focussed on the figure.

edited August 2013

Grimwolf said:
    too be honest Dawns face does need to be softened up and made more feminine

I think I start to develop a twitch like KickAir 8P has for word "soon". Just because people seem to think that soft face is the only feminine face type possible and any sharpness should be seen only as something masculine :)

so
    *twitch*

I'm trying to joke, I'm not actually having damaged nerves due to this conversation - in fact I want to thank all people here for keeping the tone and mood of the conversation as light as possible in situation where some bashing is probably imminent.

Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

It's hard to find a non nude version, but try these two.

urlsmall.jpg
    800 x 507 - 437K
    fetal-position.jpg
    600 x 600 - 30K
    edited August 2013

wowie, ok, those are very nice references and I'll try pose like them later in a day, probably at evening - have to go soon and won't be near DS for some time. Would this be ok with you?

Post edited by Kattey on
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,752
    edited December 1969

People should also keep in mind that a "base figure" is just that..a base.
    The base is not the final aspect of the figure. From the base you build a "character" through morphs and textures and such. The value of the base is only in how well you can build characters on top of it.
    So of course things like breasts and such may not be very realistic looking on base figures. But they are set up to make it easier to create good morphs that will add that realism as you develop your character. The base is simply a generalized mid point where characters can be developed off of...so no..the base of any figure may be very generic and boring and often shapeless in the way of detailing.....but as long as it is built in a way that other looks can be built off of it nicely..then it is still a good thing.
    You can see this in a big way when you compare Gia to teh Gen2Female base

Rawn

edited August 2013

Kattey said:
    wowie, ok, those are very nice references and I'll try pose like them later in a day, probably at evening - have to go soon and won't be near DS for some time. Would this be ok with you?

I'm OK with it. You might want to skip V4 and just concentrate on weight mapped figures only. I'm mainly curious to see the differences in rigging between the DS and Poser version.

You can see my effort below, with and without moving the pelvis bone forward.

DawnFetal2.jpg
    1112 x 1048 - 195K
    DawnFetal1.jpg
    1112 x 1048 - 197K
    Post edited by wowie on
    edited August 2013

I’m mainly curious to see the differences in rigging between the DS and Poser version.
    wowie, sadly I don't have Poser that can handle weightmapped figures, my latest version is Poser 7, I think. I can only compare in DS :/
    In cases like that I wish I had more appropriate Poser for full testing but I can't afford an application that I won't use with any regularity right now.
    I'd make full DS test, though.

You can see my effort below, with and without moving the pelvis bone forward.

Just to be sure, this is Dawn, correct?
    Post edited by Kattey on
    edited August 2013

Kattey said:

Yes. Just the figure, with the base shape and no morphs. Base resolution without subD.

Post edited by wowie on
    edited December 1969

wowie said:
    Kattey said:

Yes. Just the figure, with the base shape and no morphs. Base resolution without subD.
    Okie, when I'll be back to my computer I'll try to match it. Thanks again for references :)

• agent unawaresagent unawares Posts: 3,513
    edited August 2013

Kattey said:
    From what is known to me, although I can be mistaken (and I really, really, really want to be mistaken here) DAZ3D will give all sorts of legal troubles for redistribution of any clones of its figures to Dawn, which is sort of businessly (sp?) understandable but still very-very sad behaviour to see at my opinion.

It's actually ridiculously confusing to me. As long as the shapes are RTEncoded, or have some other means to ensure users don't get access to them without actually acquiring Genesis/Genesis 2/V4, wouldn't giving users the ability to use content with other figures mean DAZ would sell more of it, and not take away anything at all? The only way I could see that distressing them would be if they sold largely Dawn content and were afraid to have people go to stuff from Genesis/Genesis 2/V4. -headscratch-

Unless they're actually afraid that being able to use more content will let Dawn dominate the market, it's a bizarre choice. There's no halp-users-will-start-buying-V4-stuff-from-Renderosity, because that ship's already sailed with Genesis, and right now DAZ is getting none of the Dawn market.

Post edited by agent unawares on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I'm not aware of any official statement from DAZ... everybody's assuming they'll say no to any clones etc so haven't actually asked them.

• IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

She appears to be having a far bigger debut than Genesis 2 already, but that could be partly because the Poser base is taking such a strong shine to her.
    If you look at just her poser fan creations thus far however, she's already miles ahead of Genesis 2 in popularity-- So far I'm seeing more content from more people for Dawn in 24 hours than I saw for Genesis 2 in the entire first two weeks.

edited December 1969

opal42987 said:
    She appears to be having a far bigger debut than Genesis 2 already, but that could be partly because the Poser base is taking such a strong shine to her.
    If you look at just her poser fan creations thus far however, she's already miles ahead of Genesis 2 in popularity-- So far I'm seeing more content from more people for Dawn in 24 hours than I saw for Genesis 2 in the entire first two weeks.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. Dawn's release date was known to most (since it was listed on the site) while Genesis2 release date was only known to DAZ and a handful of PAs. So, people are better prepared and itching to get their hands on here.

Still along those lines, I think the launch was poorly managed as well. They should've seeded the base to other stores so users can still buy/download her when the site went down.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Big C release?

Carrara

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Her breasts could be more natural and smaller, I agree here, but I suspect the sacrifices were made in development to keep her appealing to wider audience. C-cups aren't also my choice, I'd go for something smaller.

I've been lead to believe that that's the average size nowadays. It only makes sense to start with the most common setting and allow morphs in either direction from there... or so I think.
  • IceEmpressIceEmpress Posts: 639
    edited December 1969

Still along those lines, I think the launch was poorly managed as well. They should’ve seeded the base to other stores so users can still buy/download her when the site went down.

Oh, most definitely. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think it is asinine to hide a major character release from your PAs. Then not surprisingly, customers and forumites are upset that Genesis 2 is released with so few clothing and morph sets. I also think it was dumb to release the basic male and basic female characters separately for Gen2-- we still haven't seen the male version yet! When I think about that, it actually pisses me off! Are we going to wait 6 months? A Year? for the basic male Genesis 2? All because DAZ was so excited about their new product that they couldn't simply wait a few more months/year unntil its completion to release it?

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited December 1969

I like Dawn quite a bit, though my personal preference at the current time is Genesis 1, and I don't expect that to change in the near future. There's nothing else out there that offers the sheer unbridled opportunity for creativity. Gen2f is a pretty creature, but for me she was a step backward in terms of both compatibility and versatility. That said, I have to say that, for use in Poser, I'll put Dawn way ahead of Roxy, Allyson or any other SM figure in terms of both appearance and flexibility, and right now she's looking to be the first truly viable alternative for V4... which, while still a good figure, is beginning to look a bit long in the tooth. And the initial support for Dawn is pretty amazing. Not just the biggies like Rendo and RDNA, but a huge number of stores in addition to the new Hivewire. The market is definitely looking for something new.

That said, V4 has a huge presence in the market that's not going to go away anytime soon, but unless DAZ really steps up it's game and comes out with an upgraded V4 (V4Extended?,) and/or gets a Genesis figure that drops into Poser without the grunting and groaning, Dawn really does seem to make a lot of sense in terms of where this market is going.

Where things are going to get interesting is how quickly Dawn spreads up to the next tier of software... programs like Lightwave, Cinema 4D, 3DS-max, Vue, etc., as well as sideways to things like iClone I've been really disappointed by DAZ's lack of motion in that direction with Genesis, and with the price of those more advanced packages dropping every year, we're going to see a steady attrition of serious users in that direction, while the low end of the market will be taken by iClone-ish things that we haven't even seen yet.

• ArkathanArkathan Posts: 65
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    Kattey said:

I've been lead to believe that that's the average size nowadays. It only makes sense to start with the most common setting and allow morphs in either direction from there... or so I think.

In the base morphs, you have the option of shaping her to an A, B, D, or E on top of the default C cups.
    Unless I missed them, nipple and natural are in a separate package.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

This is rather an important point. Rawn has developed some rather awesome morphs for Dawn, and I'm patiently (/cough) waiting for his Poser versions.

RawArt said:
    People should also keep in mind that a "base figure" is just that..a base.
    The base is not the final aspect of the figure. From the base you build a "character" through morphs and textures and such. The value of the base is only in how well you can build characters on top of it.
    So of course things like breasts and such may not be very realistic looking on base figures. But they are set up to make it easier to create good morphs that will add that realism as you develop your character. The base is simply a generalized mid point where characters can be developed off of...so no..the base of any figure may be very generic and boring and often shapeless in the way of detailing.....but as long as it is built in a way that other looks can be built off of it nicely..then it is still a good thing.
    You can see this in a big way when you compare Gia to teh Gen2Female base

Rawn

Comparisons should be Dawn to the Gen2Female base (or /gasp, the Genesis Base Female). If the base Dawn is compared to the characters V6/Gia, Dawn isn't going to look as beautiful (/cough, matter of opinion there on Gia) or as defined. Instead try comparing Alexis for Dawn to Charlize for Genesis 2, both similar characters by 3D Universe.

Take a look at Rawn's Mini Morphs - Muscle product for Dawn. You want definition? You want athletic? There you go.

Edit: A new Record! More than 15 attempts to submit this post.