First impressions of Dawn?.....V4 is safe.

Comments

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

I've written a similar thing in another thread somewhere else recently, but, I'll try to put it here again. When I saw the first announcement pictures of Dawn, I was a bit shocked by how bad she looked. At least for a 'base' character. But I figured what would come with her release in promo shots would look much better.

Boy, was I wrong.

Thing is, I am very, very open to a non-DAZ character. And I like the attempt to 'heal' the split between (most) Poser users and (many) DS users with offering two versions of the figure. Of course, that's only cool in theory, and starts being less cool, when vendors realize they might have to support actually TWO different figures that just look the same. And suddenly you see items for only one version of the character. I think this is exactly the situation DAZ wanted to avoid by stubbornly sticking with their importer solution instead of making a Genesis for Poser. I'm curios which way will work better in the long run.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

As I said, despite the awful first look, I was seriously considering getting Dawn and some of her content at her release. I still may, but I'd be on good faith only. Oh my, her content, as far as I have seen it, looks pretty bad. Neither the items, nor the quality (with some exceptions here and there. Danie and marforno apparently never do anything wrong, ever).
    And I don't like the figure as well. I don't get the beautiful / ugly, masculine / feminine argument, though. It's just that it doesn't look very much like an actual human to me. It feels off, even more so than Genesis. To me, Dawn looks like some kind of blend between a human and a cartoon character. Which might be nice, if I liked cartoon characters for base figures. Her standard body doesn't seem to have a lot of detail compared to V6. Her face is....kind of OK, although it nosedives into uncanny valley the moment it shows any [removed]although that goes for most 3D characters). Her bellybutton looks like it was done with a cookie cutter - just like Genesis - and her breasts like someone nailed a pair of grapefruits to her chest (expression stolen from Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw) - again, just like Genesis. The worst part is the shoulders and arms, though. Her shoulders look waaay too wide to me and her arms too thick. I'm assuming that's why she has been called 'athletic', but neither do I see any significant muscle definition nor does the rest of her body give me that vibe. It just looks wrong for someone her stature. I guess most of that is fixable, but then again, so is V4.

Her bending, as far as I've seen it, looks so-so. Better than Gen4 for sure, probably somewhat en par with Genesis. Curse your elbow bends, Genesis!

She's probably a step forward from V4. But against my trusty old fixed V4, she doesn't hold a candle. And neither to V6 (although she's embarrassing V6 in terms of quantity of content, even now. Get your act together, DAZ). I just don't see why people get so excited. There's nothing here we haven't seen before. And I'm afraid, Dawn might increase the split between Poser and DS users. Maybe even create more dividing lines.

Nice
    Uhm, I don't see a man when I look at Dawn. Must be missing something?
    Pardon the color-working on a character-but I've been seeing comments about her looking flat and man like.
    This is man-like???

I hope you'll forgive me for saying this, but this doesn't even look human-like to me. Although definitely more female than male.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited August 2013

Just a small offtopic but

(expression stolen from Ben “Yahtzee” Croshaw)

*waves enthusiastically to possible fellow viewer of Zero Punctuation*
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

You might grab Dawn now. You can uncheck all the products stacked with Dawn so the base figure costs you nothing. That way should you decide at a later date, you are interested in Dawn, you will have her. She is only free for the first 30 days.

Kyoto Kid said:
    Jabba101 said:
    Choice is always a good thing, but the content for Dawn is already showing a heavy apartheid in favour of Poser users, so she'll be good for the folk that refuse to use the DSON Importer.

Dawn isn't a bad figure, and while there's Crossdresser support, you're starting from scratch when it comes to skin textures, morphs etc.

I'm already a G2F/V6/Gia user, so on a personal level, I'm struggling to see what she offers that I can't already do better with what I've got... That said, no harm in having a new toy to play with from time to time even if Genesis & Genesis 2 are still my go-to figures.

Say WHAT?! Everything I've seen so far (aside from a couple magnet packs) is either both, or Daz Studio specific (ie. Anything from Raw Art is DS only) Not sure where you are getting this "in favour of Poser users" And not only that, they are encouraging content creators to work to make their products work in both. It's a GOOD thing.

I've been playing with her for a while, and while she's not perfect, she's better off than V4 was at the start. And with current tech allowing fitting to be be better, she will be able to go a lot further.

I just find it amusing that people are so willing to put her down so easily, without even really giving her a try. She's got a lot more potential than other figures I can think of.

...I;m just too tapped out resource-wise to buy into another figure at this time. I need to wait & see that develops first. She looks good and all, but right now is only at the state where V4 was when she was first introduced. To make her work for the needs I have, will require additional morph expansions and content support (clothing/hair/autofit clone) from the Daz end as I don't have Poser Pro 2014 with all the new fitting tools it has (nor the zlotys to upgrade from 2012).
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    To make her work for the needs I have, will require additional morph expansions and content support (clothing/hair/autofit clone) from the Daz end

It seems illogical for me if DAZ3D would support her. Very pleasantly surprising as it would mean that DAZ3D has far, far better ethics and open mindness that I'm giving them credit for, but illogical nevertheless. On the forums of company that made her, in Complimentary section I think there is a short tutorial about how to make your own V4 clone. From what is known to me, although I can be mistaken (and I really, really, really want to be mistaken here) DAZ3D will give all sorts of legal troubles for redistribution of any clones of its figures to Dawn, which is sort of businessly (sp?) understandable but still very-very sad behaviour to see at my opinion. I'm for full transparency of asset transition between figures, as always. Give people tools (or at least don't deny them existing tools) to keep their |clothing| libraries usable as much as possible, let people decide themselves on which figure is better to use with those |clothing| libraries, so they could base this decision on quality of figure, not on amount of |clothing| support available. Won't this way be nice? I think it would be a very nice thing to do, in upbeat, sharing, goodwill-infused, open-minded and idealistic way (which probably why it won't make much of business sense but still, it just will be so _nice_).
    ...I remember there was a also a vid tutorial I saw as well about adapting clothing for use in Daz. That and creating clones however still seems somewhat beyond my level of expertise.

Downloading both versions of the base character for now as I do have Poser Pro 2012.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

I don’t like her either.
    Looks masculine, bends kinda weird, the limitations and buying everything again are a big no... I don't feel she's up to today standards.
    Without a doubt, I’d prefer to use Victoria 3.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...I remember there was a also a vid tutorial I saw as well about adapting clothing for use in Daz. That and creating clones however still seems somewhat beyond my level of expertise.

Could you possibly at least take a look at V4 clone tutorial? It has pictures.
    edited December 1969

You might grab Dawn now. You can uncheck all the products stacked with Dawn so the base figure costs you nothing. That way should you decide at a later date, you are interested in Dawn, you will have her. She is only free for the first 30 days.

...did so (see above).

Browsed at the new releases and am more excited than I expected.

Particularly love the 3DU teen character, she really does look like a teenager. I need to get hired into a new job (and a good paying one at that) fast.

• BeaBea Posts: 743
    edited December 1969

At the moment she is free so I would recommend getting her now. I am sure she will improve. It may well be that the producers will do changes and there are some very talented vendors creating items for her :) :)

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...as I understand it involves using the RTE encoder which is, well, kind of like G(r)eek to me. This is why I'll spend the money (when I get it) to pay other people with more knowledge than I to deal with all the trouble.
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited August 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kattey said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...as I understand it involves using the RTE encoder which is, well, kind of like G(r)eek to me. This is why I'll spend the money (when I get it) to pay other people with more knowledge than I to deal with all the trouble.
    Uhh.. the clone tutorial (assuming you're referring to the V4 tutorial for Dawn) doesn't release anything except a tutorial. You create the clone yourself using your own files. No RTEncoding is anywhere in the process.

RTEncoding was only involved in someone's release of a clone for G2F because she was distributing actual mesh.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

Funny how the discussion of the release of a new character seems to turn into a cut and paste of the discussion of the last release of a new character.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Funny how the discussion of the release of a new character seems to turn into a cut and paste of the discussion of the last release of a new character.
    ROTFLMAO!! Yep.
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    ROTFLMAO!! Yep.

That is a very accurate observation I think LOL.

edited August 2013

..well this one I will give a try as one of her morphs is a "no breast" (flat chest morph). That already puts her ahead of the game for me in the sense of possibly being able to design younger characters without additional morph/character packs to do so. She also has the usual "young" body and head morphs as well. What will be important is to see how sell she handles scaling of individual limbs & torso regions.

Will just be experimenting for now as she is free, but need at least one set of clothing (at least a body/swim suit) so I can post images.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Interesting seeing the comparisons to how well/bad Dawn is based upon comparisons to V4 because the contemporary comparison is actually Genesis 2 Female, not an older figure (Genesis 1 does not compare either as it is more universally functional).

Added to this are the finances required to invest in another figure that cannot be ignored either. There's certainly some good potential that shouldn't be immediately dismissed, and I do hope Dawn is successful because extra choice is not a bad thing.

But there is no denying that Poser Dawn and DS Dawn are two separate & different figures, albeit they share some of the same assets and one could succeed even if the other doesn't. As always, support for one or the other will boil down to if the income justifies the effort rather than any Shangri-La of harmony and unity.

Here's a side-by-side of G2F and Dawn (I feel comparing V6 or Gia wouldn't be fair as they are additions to the base G2F figure). One point of note is that I was in the process of tightening-up Dawn's butt and forgot to zero her before render, so default isn't quite as pronounced...

Dawn_G2F_side-by-side.jpg
    1920 x 960 - 388K
  • acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

Sorry to bring down the tone of the thread, but does anyone know if Dawn is "Anatomically Correct" or do you have to buy another $200 of products to get the missing parts of her anatomy (as is the policy of a certain other vendor regarding their figures)?

edited August 2013

...no, in that respect, she isn't, and as I understand, will not be through her creators. This does not preclude third party "additions" however.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Barubary said:
    ...When I saw the first announcement pictures of Dawn, I was a bit shocked by how bad she looked. At least for a 'base' character. But I figured what would come with her release in promo shots would look much better.

Boy, was I wrong.

Thing is, I am very, very open to a non-DAZ character. And I like the attempt to 'heal' the split between (most) Poser users and (many) DS users with offering two versions of the figure. Of course, that's only cool in theory, and starts being less cool, when vendors realize they might have to support actually TWO different figures that just look the same. And suddenly you see items for only one version of the character. I think this is exactly the situation DAZ wanted to avoid by stubbornly sticking with their importer solution instead of making a Genesis for Poser. I'm curios which way will work better in the long run.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

As I said, despite the awful first look, I was seriously considering getting Dawn and some of her content at her release. I still may, but I'd be on good faith only. Oh my, her content, as far as I have seen it, looks pretty bad. Neither the items, nor the quality (with some exceptions here and there. Danie and marforno apparently never do anything wrong, ever).

I basically agree with you. I was surprised at the quality of the promo renders for Dawn. And the shockingly low quality of the promo renders from many of the PAs producing Dawn products.

I nonetheless went ahead and bought Dawn and some of her products. I have done a number of renders with Dawn, and In my opinion the Dawn promo renders could/should have been much better than they were.

I have heard that DAZ has high standards for Promo renders. The promo renders for V6 or Gia are probably by DAZ,staff or DAZ can afford to hire people that know how to produce compelling promo renders for new base figures. I can understand why a startup company might not want to spend a lot on promo renders, but promo renders are what customers base their purchase decisions on.

Dawn does kind of reminds me of images I've seen of Rosie the Riveter, even though that was before my time.

I think the "Glamor Ponytail" that comes in the free Dawn base package was a poor choice of hair for the shape of her head. Dawn does not look glamorous in this hair and it is the hair used in most the Dawn promo images.

The low quality of the PA promo renders I think is a reflection of who the PAs are.Many of the PAs supporting Dawn appear to be second or third string PAs, who have not learned how to produce a good promo renders. As you point out, Danie and marforno have not forgotten how to produce a good promo render. They did not use the Glamor Ponytail either. Low quality promo renders does not necessarily mean the products are poor, it just means fewer people will take a chance on the product.

It certainly seems that only a small number of PAs are producing Dawn products that work in DS. The creators of Dawn have tried, but unless they do something, Dawn will rapidly become a mostly Poser product.

I just bought makeup product for the Dawn base skin (It comes with only one make up option that I do not like). It was of course Poser only, which I knew when I bought it. I mean, how hard is it to put the face/lip textures into the DAZ mats and save a makeup preset? I just finished doing it myself so I could use it. There just was no makeup option available with DAZ mats.

Clothing support for DAZ Dawn is worse than DAZ V4 clothes. Apparently because the weight mapping is different you need a different figure file for DAZ and well as different textures. Given how few PAs bother to produce DAZ mats, this makes it even less likely they will bother with DS.

I'm sure Dawn could be a strong contender in the base figure market, but I'm not really sure why a DS users would want to use Dawn rather the G2F.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...no, in that respect, she isn't, and as I understand, will not be through her creators. This does not preclude third party "additions" however.

OK. Thanks for the info.

Poor Dawn; born into a hostile world without even the basic equipment she needs to be recognized as truly "human". :(

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

acanthis said:
    Sorry to bring down the tone of the thread, but does anyone know if Dawn is "Anatomically Correct" or do you have to buy another $200 of products to get the missing parts of her anatomy (as is the policy of a certain other vendor regarding their figures)?

I have the Dawn base, and she is not "anatomically complete".

There are some free so called camel toe morphs for Dawn, but they are Poser only (of course).

I'm sure someone will recognize the opportunity and provide some DS bits for Dawn, eventually.

• wowiewowie Posts: 2,029
    edited December 1969

I can only think of one word to describe Dawn. The figure is horrible.

• adegneradegner Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Actually she works pretty good.

dawn_01.jpg
    584 x 745 - 54K
    edited December 1969

RTEncoding was only involved in someone’s release of a clone for G2F because she was distributing actual mesh.

Actually clone is a sort of morph and if we speak about dsf it is a format that only can be used in DS or in Poser with DSON, I think. Still doesn't hurt to play safe.

But that V4 tutorial doesn't include any RTEncoding, it teaches you how to make a clone from V4 to Dawn in quite easy steps, with pictures.

edited December 1969

adegner said:

Try a sitting position. Or a fetal position.

• MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

wowie said:
    adegner said:

Try a sitting position. Or a fetal position.

Hey, even I bend awkwardly in a fetal position....

edited August 2013

Hey, even I bend awkwardly in a fetal position....

Maybe, but you still looked human. Assuming you're one, of course.

Post edited by wowie on
  • edited December 1969

I am confused about the new figure everyone is talking about I see many references about her having a polly count much higher than G2 yet when i compare geometries in either Zbrush or maya Dawn is running at around half the polygons of G2
    Can anyone point out what i am doing wrong when comparing the meshes
    do i need to sub divide dawn before comparing

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

If you are comparing poly counts make sure both figures are not sub divided.

edited December 1969

And use the base resolution.

• ZenrelZenrel Posts: 245
    edited December 1969

I was messing around the poses of the arms and I noticed that at a certain angle, if you raise them over her head, her biceps area starts to fold/sinks in by a lot. Don't know if that intentional or not.