First impressions of Dawn?.....V4 is safe.

Comments

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Bobvan said:
    When I 1st loaded her I thought in the words of Miss Swan "She looka lika man" Nothing I really need at this point. Deleted from my Runtime unless some goodies & freebies for DS pop up down the road.

There's already some on ShareCG.

It looks like the only major site that isn't already supporting the figure is this one...

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

I picked up her and the base morphs. Exactly the same as I've picked up for G2F (Okay, I have a couple of hairs that were packaged with Genesis 1 hairs, and one PC club outfit.)

They're both nice figures, but I've yet to see anything (even in the WIP threads) beyond Zev0's Growing Up that has made me go "Wow!" Several "that's nice" but nothing "wow."

DS support for Dawn is, unsurprisingly, much sparser than anticipated by some of Dawn's Cheerleaders, though at least OOT has one dress that has both Cr2 and DUF that's not at Dawn's primary store.

I'll keep her around should some freebies take my interest, but I'm probably sticking with Genesis 1 for my primary figure for quite some time.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited August 2013

I think Raw Art morph packages for her puts her right up there with Gia, but that's just me. Outstanding work Rawn !

Post edited by Midnight_stories on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I think the hardcore Poser users are more excited about Dawn than the Daz crowd for the simple reason is that they finally have a native weight-mapped figure which doesn't look entirely like an american quarterback. I still don't think she has the grace of Genesis 2. but I can at least see why some people might be a bit excited about this new development.

Poser users have pretty much relied on Daz figures for most of their content, with Posers own native figures both being poorly supported in terms of accessories and clothing and plain ugly to boot for the most part (seriously, is one figure even distinguishable from another?). At least now there's a nice middle ground for them to play around in, though how well supported Dawn will be in the future is in question at this point.

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

Having given up on Genesis with Poser, I haven't even bothered to download the G2F content. So, I can't compare Dawn to G2F.

However, I'm quite pleased with how Dawn compares to both V4 and Genesis. I've not been crazy about the default figure/textures of any new figure, not even V4, much less Genesis, and I miss my extensive library of Gen 4 morphs. But, that's easily fixed. Best of all though is that Dawn is an advanced weight mapped figure native to Poser. Though converting V4 to Poser Unimesh helps, it doesn't get around the flaws of an old figure.

The advantage Genesis had over V4 on release was that it could use the Gen 4 textures, so at least you didn't have to wait for the content providers to release oodles of characters to get some decent skins. It's always rough switching from a figure with a huge morph/texture/clothing library to a brand new figure with only the basics. But the lack of V4 content has really impacted my purchasing. I mean ... I don't mind saving money. I really don't. But I also like buying new shiney tings. Dawn brings back the excitement and anticipation that's been missing for two years. It's going to be so cool seeing oodles of new characters and clothing again that I can buy ... especially at a store where I enjoy shopping.

I'm glad some of my favorite content providers are supporting Dawn, and I like what I've seen in production. But, I am ever so thankful she wasn't released until after I was able to buy a Prius C (with all the money I saved not buying content in the last two years). I'm also glad I didn't need to get groceries this week since it allowed me to spend my food budget on Dawn.

It's really amazing what people are doing with the mesh. And the male Dawn is absolutely incredible. Unlike the V4 male, the male Dawn looks rather Testosterone-laden. Quite amazing really, considering he started life as a girl.

This is my first attempt with Dawn. I keep wanting to put her in glasses and a high necked dress ... she just screams librarian to me.

Kattey said:
    Dawn isn't any worse than G2F, at my opinion and she has more advanced - or versatile at least - rigging than V4 had. Her default shape isn't conventionally prettified into this ever-slender build which is the same approach as Gia uses although Gia is more muscular by default. I like the more athletic feel of her and I certainly like her face more than V4 default, and I especially like that her default skin isn't another pale as milk Caucasian. Right now there are few products available for her to show how variable she could be (no main morphpack, for example, just basic, although this is big marketing mistake at my opinion). She'd definitely benefit from a couple JCMs on back of collar bends - just like default V4 would, btw - but saying that she is worse than V4 who had like what, 8 years (?) of developments and addons that include fixes to most glaring problems, wouldn't be proper way to compare them. Everything is subjective, surely, but I remember that V4 was bashed at the launch too, so no surprise here - all figures are bashed on launch there and here.
    A_New_Dawn.png
    711 x 949 - 1M
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I think Raw Art morph packages of her puts her above Gia, but that's just me. Outstanding work Rawn !
    Fine if you can get the zips to open - Hulk still ain't opening for me, not that I'm likely to use it much anyway, hehehe (the others opened fine).

I bought the morph packs but none of the DS clothes held my interest much. For me, it simply boils down to money and my acute lack thereof... I made a point of supporting Genesis 1 as much as I could, even buying things I didn't think I would use much (and I was right too a lot of the time), but with Genesis 2 I'm being a lot more selective - if it's not something I like or wouldn't use much then I simply won't buy it. So anything for Dawn is going to have to be pretty mindblowing to get me to buy for it instead of more versatile items for Genesis/Genesis2.

Even so, playing around with Dawn doesn't have to be a big deal, still plenty of fun to be had...

Dawn_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 847K
  • mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

I thought it was nice that DAZ didn't try an immediate counter with a major new figure release yesterday... let Dawn have her day. I like her for Poser (haven't installed the DAZ version yet).... but in general I am drowning in estrogen with all the new female characters.... and not really ready to spend much on new female clothes.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Dawn == Yawn

It's quite clear she will end up more or less a Poser-only figure, when you look at the third party content launched along with her at Rendo and RDNA. Lots of stuff with only CR2 provided, a small bit more with the usual 'it should load in DAZ, but we don't include material presets for DAZ, and honestly, we didn't really test it at all in Studio other than to see it load in default position'. Maybe 10% of the initial launch content directly supports Studio. As I am a Studio user and don't even own Poser, I see very little incentive in Dawn right now.

Add to that that I think the base figure and skin are just plain ugly. Granted, over time, there will be characters and skins released for her that should make her appeal to different tastes. But the only way I'd consider her remotely usable right now is with 3DU's launch character for her. But then that also leads me to the next observation: of all the launch clothing, there is basically nothing that I am even remotely interested in spending money on. It's all pretty much just "meh, whatever", or stuff I already have plenty of for V4 and/or Genesis/G2F. The 3DU character is nice, but with no clothes for her, who cares? The only other thing that appeals to me is the Dragon Braid, and I already own the V4 version of that, and it easily works on Genesis just parenting it to Genesis' head. So I don't see any need to spend money on that, either.

It will be interesting to see where Dawn stands in six months. Maybe she'll get some traction in the Poser world, but I still see most of the content vendors going back to V4 after dabbling with Dawn during a curiosity phase. For Studio users, Dawn is still-born in my opinion.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

is Dawn like a new Antonia? does this mean a new Apollo is being worked on?

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

I would like to point out I posted a simple comment two months ago that about DAWN.

Competition breeds innovation.

That comment alone not only had the post deleted but I was sent a rather nasty email about the fact I had engaged in advertising competitors products. But yet we allow 'Poser Early Adopter' icons all over the place. Hypocrites in their pick and chose of what is posted. Yeah I've Read the TOS, and as a former Legal Rep, it's pathetically wrote.

But to get back on track to this thread.

This blind and ill conceived idea that DAWN has already failed is immature! Everyone said the same for V4, Genesis and G2F.

DAZ, the company has done a serious disservice to the Poser crowds with the DSON exporter. it's terrible to use, and I"m a HARD CORE DAZ Studio user I've seen the complaints, I've read the difficulties. The Poser crowds wanted native support, they wanted Genesis for Poser, and purse stings may have opened up more so had it been made!

That's what happened. The people spoke, someone named Chris Creek listened.

And now we have a character native to both platforms and products being made for BOTH versions! I for one look forward to see that comes from this. DAZ has the opportunity to make something of this, and turning a blind eye to it won't fill their pocket books.

So DAZ, mend those bridges you burned with many content providers, and support the future. In the end, everyone will win.

Competition breeds innovation!

For those that don't know what I meant by burned bridges, look around, not at the products, the names of who made them! Many names once big here are gone are now being seen elsewhere! More and more often.

Competition breeds innovation! The future should be interesting!

-Paul

• GigabeatGigabeat Posts: 164
    edited August 2013

I'm for Genesis all the way (that's G1 not G2F). Morphs to women, men, children, realistic or toon, goblins, trolls, fishy creatures and a gorilla in a tutu. Versatility in a figure was has never looked sexier (or hairier). And if Capsces Digital Ink CDI transfers his wonderful morphs sets to Genesis as well then I'll never look at another figure again. :cheese:

Post edited by Gigabeat on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    I would like to point out I posted a simple comment two months ago that about DAWN.

That comment alone not only had the post deleted but I was sent a rather nasty email about the fact I had engaged in advertising competitors products. But yet we allow 'Poser Early Adopter' icons all over the place. Hypocrites in their pick and chose of what is posted. Yeah I've Read the TOS, and as a former Legal Rep, it's pathetically wrote.

But to get back on track to this thread.

This blind and ill conceived idea that DAWN has already failed is immature! Everyone said the same for V4, Genesis and G2F.

DAZ, the company has done a serious disservice to the Poser crowds with the DSON exporter. it's terrible to use, and I"m a HARD CORE DAZ Studio user I've seen the complaints, I've read the difficulties. The Poser crowds wanted native support, they wanted Genesis for Poser, and purse stings may have opened up more so had it been made!

That's what happened. The people spoke, someone named Chris Creek listened.

And now we have a character native to both platforms and products being made for BOTH versions! I for one look forward to see that comes from this. DAZ has the opportunity to make something of this, and turning a blind eye to it won't fill their pocket books.

So DAZ, mend those bridges you burned with many content providers, and support the future. In the end, everyone will win.

Competition breeds innovation!

For those that don't know what I meant by burned bridges, look around, not at the products, the names of who made them! Many names once big here are gone are now being seen elsewhere! More and more often.

Competition breeds innovation! The future should be interesting!

-Paul

Well said, well better said than mine. :P

• icprncssicprncss Posts: 3,694
    edited December 1969

is Dawn like a new Antonia? does this mean a new Apollo is being worked on?

No. Dawn is a new stand alone figure that has versions for DS 4.5 and up and Poser 9 and up. It is owned by Hivewire 3D. Apollo Max is owned by Anton. Anton ceased to work on Apollo 5 or 6 years ago and has no intentions of updating.

Dawn is currently free but I don't think it will remain free indefinitely.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

oh, that's why. i'm in the forums everyday, was feeling lost, never heard of the dawn figure before

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited August 2013

For one, I am not really impressed with the look of Dawn as model as such (can be amended by morphs and texture sets certainly) and second, yes, there is a model for DAZ Studio and a model for Poser, but I already see the Dawn vendors supporting Poser way more than DAZ Studio and I don't think that changes. So for me, Dawn won't get used, I won't invest in the figure. I am very happy with how Genesis and Genesis 2 Female work and that is what I continue to use.

Post edited by Renpatsu on
    edited December 1969

Ok, I don't generally use DS and haven't updated beyond 4, I'm not sure what all the complaining about cr2's and the like is about. AFAIK, DS can still parse Poser files. Did DS 4.6 lose the ability to parse a cr2 file?

• UnseenUnseen Posts: 606
    edited August 2013

cwichura said:
    Add to that that I think the base figure and skin are just plain ugly.

Then I would suggest that you do not use Dawn if you do not like her...

Honestly, I find this more interesting:

PDSmith said:
    ... And now we have a character native to both platforms and products being made for BOTH versions! ...

I have only quoted a little part of Paul Smith's reply but I completely agree with the whole text...

And finally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFEIiKM4WOw the Daz Gulz can take her! :snake:

I just hope that DAZ does not support such shabby things...

Post edited by Unseen on
  • mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    It's quite clear she will end up more or less a Poser-only figure, when you look at the third party content launched along with her at Rendo and RDNA. Lots of stuff with only CR2 provided, a small bit more with the usual 'it should load in DAZ, but we don't include material presets for DAZ, and honestly, we didn't really test it at all in Studio other than to see it load in default position'. Maybe 10% of the initial launch content directly supports Studio. As I am a Studio user and don't even own Poser, I see very little incentive in Dawn right now.

While I agree with your comments re: Rendo and RDNA -- and I'm disappointed by this disparity; I'd hoped the recent DS/Poser rift would've led to a bit more sensitivity toward efforts at not excluding users -- I believe Dawn will be well-supported at her own store.

I bought the new Xurge3D outfit for her before I remembered that I now have to check for version compatibility, and had to ask for a refund.

I don't need a ton of content, as long as what's available is well made and offers me options for how I can use it. I want more morphs for her, and a companion male figure that's reasonably well supported. Without a wider selection of morphs, though, she's not going to be as versatile as either the Gen4 or Genesis family figures.

It's still early yet, so I'm in wait-and-see mode.

Has anyone bought the XD License for Dawn? Wondering how well it converts V4 content, of which I have a LOT...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,884
    edited August 2013

icprncss said:
    Ok, I don't generally use DS and haven't updated beyond 4, I'm not sure what all the complaining about cr2's and the like is about. AFAIK, DS can still parse Poser files. Did DS 4.6 lose the ability to parse a cr2 file?

The issue is reading Poser weight-map data from the CR2, as with the new Poser 8 falloffs it wasn't supportedr.
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

I do have the files should things improve for DS users down the road...

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,732
    edited December 1969

icprncss said:
    chohole said:
    *snipped*
    Check out the two sites whose name we dare not mention for fear of being struck down by a lightning bolt. Dawn has infested both.

I have just mentioned Renderosity in another thread, and I saw no lightning bolt :coolsmirk:

Sheesh, woman - give the generator time to charge will you? Kids today, always wanting their lightning bolts NOW!

But I want it nooooooooooooooooooooow!

Soon...

edited December 1969

icprncss said:

The issue is reading Poser weight-map data from the CR2, as with the new Poser 8 falloffs it wasn't supportedr.

Not something I was aware of. I keep forgetting about the rigging differences.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

mmalbert said:
    cwichura said:

While I agree with your comments re: Rendo and RDNA -- and I'm disappointed by this disparity; I'd hoped the recent DS/Poser rift would've led to a bit more sensitivity toward efforts at not excluding users -- I believe Dawn will be well-supported at her own store.

I bought the new Xurge3D outfit for her before I remembered that I now have to check for version compatibility, and had to ask for a refund.

I don't need a ton of content, as long as what's available is well made and offers me options for how I can use it. I want more morphs for her, and a companion male figure that's reasonably well supported. Without a wider selection of morphs, though, she's not going to be as versatile as either the Gen4 or Genesis family figures.

Has anyone bought the XD License for Dawn? Wondering how well it converts V4 content, of which I have a LOT...

regarding Xurge outifts, I have never used Poser (don't own it) but I bought two outfits from Xurge a while ago, unzipped them itno daz without a problem and uses them without a problem, the V4 outfit autofits quite well to Genesis 2 female for me too :) I haven't even had to actually change around the texture that came with the outfit.

So all in all, Xurge's outfits might be for poser but they do work perfectly fine for me in Daz (might not work for everyone I guess).

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Carola O said:

So all in all, Xurge's outfits might be for poser but they do work perfectly fine for me in Daz (might not work for everyone I guess).

There is a difference between legacy rigging and weight mapped rigging and I expect the new Xurge3D outfit for Dawn to be weight mapped rigged, which won't work in DAZ Studio as easily.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Carola O said:

regarding Xurge outifts, I have never used Poser (don't own it) but I bought two outfits from Xurge a while ago, unzipped them itno daz without a problem and uses them without a problem, the V4 outfit autofits quite well to Genesis 2 female for me too :) I haven't even had to actually change around the texture that came with the outfit.

My impression is that Dawn for Poser and Dawn for DS are similar shape figures and share some things in common, but that the rigging and weight mapping are completely different.

If you buy a V4 Poser only clothing outfit, you may have to fiddle with the material settings in DS. Sometimes mats work just fine.

For Dawn, I think the figures just don't work because of different rigging/weight mapping, in addition to the materials perhaps not working. There might be some way to do the transfer but that is not clear.

I know the vendors who are providing Dawn clothing for both Poser and DS have different figures for the two versions of the clothes, a .cr2 for Poser and .duf for DS.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited September 2013

Never mind

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    mmalbert said:
    cwichura said:

Xurge products depend upon the figure you purchase them for. If they are made for Gen4 or lower, DS has no issue with them other than texture differences.

If the product is made for Genesis, it will work in DS without issue and Poser 9 and up if the DSON is installed.

MyMichelle comes with both a standard Poser rigged version and a WM version. I believe Xurge sells one or two outfits for this figure but I don't know if it is standard or WM rig.

Since Dawn has two versions and, as Richard reminded me above, there are variances in the WM rigs between DS and Poser. While the creators haven't really stressed it, anyone purchasing items for Dawn will have to double check the product pages to make certain that they have the correct version or that the product comes with both.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've been working with Dawn in C8.5 since yesterday. She may not be as pretty as G2F, but works as well.

But the base figure is free, wont cost you anything to download it and form your own opinion. The free figure comes with a bikini and hair.

• Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

As a background-I started out in 1998 with Poser 2- and played quite a bit with DS since it came out. The figures were VERY crude compared to either V4 or Genesis. I use a lot of other programs as well, and never got into any love/hate issues with either P or DS.

I find Dawn to have a MUCH improved body as compared to V4 and bend at least as well as Genesis-which was the driving force behind my interest in Genesis, btw. I don't think it was mean to REPLACE Genesis-particularly with DS. From my PERSONAL perspective-I wanted a verson of G with more native polygons for morphing. Daz could still get more cash from me-if they made a Poser Native Gen2-they are not and that is their business.
    I have ZILLIONS of morphs purchased and hand made for V4-so I will use her still-I contributed heavily with beta testing for her Weight Mapped conversion.
    I will also use Dawn- the mesh is very nice to work with-I already made a few Goblin morphs- and quite a few new human faces.

I use PosePro2014 primarily- and yes, Genesis has a home in my Poser runtime- I've spent hundreds on Genesis products-there are some shortcomings in Poser-but it does work-and I'll not be airing any criticisms here. Hopefully the LIGHTNING BOLT of Dazzian WRATH will not smite my post! :-)

Dawnbeachair.jpg
    1115 x 804 - 157K
  • Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Hi RamW

I am less inclined towards the male figure in general (for SOME reason there is no DROOL :-) ) -but Cath's male character IS fantastic-and I'll be using it to make any male characters in the future-particularly as I become more friendly with Zbrush. I am working on Star Wars characters currently-don't be surprised to see the male Dawn as Darth Sidious-or Luke Skywalker some day. :=_
    Cath is a WIZARD (Enchantress?) with Zbrush.

When Dawn acquires a few of these, I will take a look at her but not until then.
    I don't know about historical but Mec4D is making something very nice for her with some long skirt-like things, you might want to check out ZBrush forum on HW.

Not to mention Cath (Mec4D) has transformed Dawn into a him and he looks like one of the more perfect transformations I've seen bar none. Vittorio, while we were waiting for M4 to make the scene, was just OK. The shoulders were a mess in certain positions and the face never really got a masculine look to it in my opinion. This guy that Cath has made will be on the market next week and he's GORGEOUS. She's also ported all of her clothing from Genesis 01 over to this new "male" character, hoping she will give a discount to those of us that have already purchased. Check out the Hivewire forums and search for MEC4D and you will find the thread.

Pardon me while I wipe some more drool from the sides of my mouth! Yea, he's that gorgeous!