Genesis 9 delayed until at least 2020. Will you be buying it?

Comments

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

G9. Buy it? Well, probably. At least the basic morph and expression sets. Since you won't get all that far without those. 

Victoria... likely, since she'll be the first actual *character* base. 

*Use* it? That's a lot more iffy. A lot will depend on what, precisely, it brings to the table. 

Even more is going to depend on what unique bases get developed for it. I invested fairly heavily in Genesis 1, because it was really much better designed for what I wanted to do than the gen4 bases ever were. And I picked up most of the bases for G2, largely becasuse of those frapping unique UV sets. But I don't think I actually used more than a couple of the G2 bases for any of the characters that I developed for my own resouce library.

I ended up investing reasonably heavily in G3 because DAZ broke the mould and next to nothing was going to be transferable out of the box. But I never actually *used* it until comparitively recently. I'd been stockpiling because I knew that I was probably going to need to move the character library to a more current set of figures eventually (and G3 *didn't* have those frapping unique UVs)

But I never actually settled down and started *using* them until Ollie was released. Ollie, Floyd, Edie and Mabel all turned out to be something that I had evidently been waiting for, and made it worth the comittment to start retooling my library of continuing characters. Since the UVs transfer, I've also backtracked and started using a much larger number of G3 characters as well.

There's no telling what G9 is going to be bringing in that's unique enough to be worth comitting to a whole new paradigm.

• jaxprogjaxprog Posts: 312

There would have to be some serious, serious, serious upgrades that put Genesis 9 in a league of its own, if I were to invest. The problem is, I have invested in alot of Generation 4, Genesis 2, Genesis 3 and now Genesis 8. Was relucant to invest in Genesis 8 at first. The improvements are narrow between generations.

At minimum, Genesis 9 would need higher quad or poly count, no bunching at the waist when there are stressful bends, hair would have be fully dForce compliant or equivlant, improved rigging overall. Face needs more rigging for expressions and all the parts in the face need to show up in the scene tab and manipulated using dails, not just the expression window thingie.

Backward compaitblity with all previous stuff would be a must.

It would be nice if there was one standard Genesis Male, one standard Genesis Female. Those Genesis models get upgraded and all items like hair and clothes remain compatible. I have purchased Victoria and Michael 4 times and older content just seems to lose value over time making my investment seem less valuable. There needs to be a sense and perception that all content is viable no matter how old it is and can continue to be used with standard upgrades on single Geneis Male and Female.

I realize that Daz markets backward compatibility with Genesis 8, but it doesn't feel like it, because its new as opposed to an upgrade that work seemlless with your invested content.

Should be like how Microsoft does Windows. Once upon a time Micrsoft produced a new operating system to replace the previous. Now they don't do that anymore. They simply upgrade your operating system via a cloud server.

Daz could sell the upgrade, but the model stays the same, just like Windows is the same. You keep the model and you buy the upgrade giving you the new features. The model is still the same model with all the new features that would have made it Genesis 9. And its completely all recognized with all content with no generational identification creating this sense that what is old, is no good.

It could be my imagination maybe I'm confused and its all semantics. What's the difference between Genesis 9 and one model male and one female model getting an upgrade? Right? It seems like semantics. But the perception isn't semantics. You must buy the new and everything else gets older and loses value.

• FWIWFWIW Posts: 320

Only way I am jumpin on Gen 9 is if they come with soft body physics ala dforce so I can stop deforming butts/breasts/bellys/arm flab/thighs/double chins/jowls by hand during animations. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,581

DAZ pro suite encompassesing Carrara, Hexagon and Bryce all fully integrated and line of figures with boned muscles, skin layers and animated displacement textures for expressions 

....↥ this ↥

edited November 2018
    Oso3D said:

I had my doubts about Genesis 2, then grew to love it.

I had my doubts about Genesis 3, then grew to love it.

I had my doubts about Genesis 8, then grew to love it.

So now I'm shrugging and prepared to love Genesis 9.

...I had my doubts about Genesis "Classic", then grew to love it

...I had my doubts about Genesis 2, then grew to love it

...I had my doubts about Genesis 3, then grew to love it

...I still have my doubts about Genesis 8, as I'm too broke to find out if I'd love it.

...Genesis 9, not even worried about it.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

DAZ pro suite encompassesing Carrara, Hexagon and Bryce all fully integrated.....

Considering  the vestigial 32 bit architecture of bryce,
    I think the current DS Bridge is all of the "integration" you will ever see
    IMHO and  even that likely wont survive the eventual transiton to 
    Daz studio 5.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733
    edited November 2018

Taoz said:

Tech always changes, when Iray first came to Daz the biggest gaming card was a 980ti with 6gb. That was only a few short years ago. The 1080ti nearly doubled that. The 2080ti has the same 11gb, but it is capable of pooling its VRAM with Nvlink. (This has been proven, it is no longer speculation.)

So with 2 x 2080ti you can get 22 GB VRAM? How many can you combine?

As far as I'm aware there are only 2 card NVLinks. If you really need more than 21 Gb to render with, there's apparently some VRAM consumed as overhead, you might want to look into Quadros.

Taoz said:

Tech always changes, when Iray first came to Daz the biggest gaming card was a 980ti with 6gb. That was only a few short years ago. The 1080ti nearly doubled that. The 2080ti has the same 11gb, but it is capable of pooling its VRAM with Nvlink. (This has been proven, it is no longer speculation.)

So with 2 x 2080ti you can get 22 GB VRAM? How many can you combine?

Not the full 22 (then again you don't get a full 11 with a single card either). The reason is some data must be duplicated for performance. The problem is, no app currently reports exactly how much VRAM is pooled, so right now nobody really knows exactly how much you get in Nvlink mode. But vray was able get a scene to run on Nvlink 2080ti's that would not run a single card due to its size. Running in Nvlink is also a bit slower than running the two cards without, but the penalty is not much. My guess (and I stress this is a guess) is that you might get 16-18GB when using Nvlink. You can only link 2 2080ti's or 2080's.

Here is a link with details on what they did. They also have pics of the scenes they created for testing.

https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/profiling-the-nvidia-rtx-cards

OK, thanks.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,779

I just started with DAZ this year, and I invested heavily in G8. I plan to stay with this generation for a long time.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited November 2018
    Taoz said:
    nicstt said:

Please, please: NO Studio 5!

So you want them to stop when they hit version 4.99.9.999?

well im sure they can fit some more 9s in there somewhere 4.999999 etc

Some folks seem to think that 5 offers some sort of Nirvana, without posting specifics; I mean something that 5 could do, but 4 is incapable of.

I'm sure there is some features that require it, but how badly we (and in this case I) would want to break all the plugins etc that a recompillation would likely break... Who knows?

Post edited by nicstt on
    Hylas said:

I just started with DAZ this year, and I invested heavily in G8. I plan to stay with this generation for a long time.

Many of us say the same. :D

edited November 2018
    nicstt said:
    Taoz said:
    nicstt said:

Some folks seem to think that 5 offers some sort of Nirvana, without posting specifics; I mean something that 5 could do, but 4 is incapable of.

I'm sure there is some features that require it, but how badly we (and in this case I) would want to break all the plugins etc that a recompillation would likely break... Who knows?

Well technically they can just to continue calling it version 4, but that doesn't prevent them from continuing development as usual. So what you're really are asking for is for them to stop normal development progress.

As for breaking plugins I'd say they ideally should be obliged to either fix or refund any commercial plugins purchased here that they break, because DS upgrades are more or less enforced upon you, and AFAIR they do have at least in some cases. And I can't see why a major upgrade should be an excuse for not continuing doing that.

Post edited by Taoz on

They are continueing development as usual; but tell me, what is it, you think 5 will offer?

I understand that version 5 has been avoided because of the issue that re-compilling the kernal would cause. It would break plugins, and no, they are not automatically fixed.

Upgrades are only forced upon one if no responsibility is taken for one's own computer; I use more than one version, and have backups for earlier ones if needed.

A major upgrade is certainly a reason for doing it; but I'm having trouble finding out what this perceived major upgrade is.

• I think Daz made a good move with G3, as it used more common technologies, like quaternion weighting, which is also supported in professional programs and facial bones.

G8 was a small change to G3 and I avoided it for a long time, until some utilities were released that allow a transition of assets from G3 to G8. The best thing about G8 are some unique new characters, like Mabel, Edda, Floyd and Ollie. If you want to tell stories with your images, you don't need supermodel, but a variety of realistic characters.

In order to be interested in G9, I'd like to see

- new unique features that makes creating images easier and the transition to other programs, like Blender, Cinema 4D, Maya, 3dsMax, Modo.
    - tools to allow the transfer of G3/G8 assets to G9 - e.g. skin bitmaps(same UV or Texture Transform), morphs, poses, clothes/hair

edited November 2018
    nicstt said:

They are continueing development as usual; but tell me, what is it, you think 5 will offer?

I understand that version 5 has been avoided because of the issue that re-compilling the kernal would cause. It would break plugins, and no, they are not automatically fixed.

Upgrades are only forced upon one if no responsibility is taken for one's own computer; I use more than one version, and have backups for earlier ones if needed.

A major upgrade is certainly a reason for doing it; but I'm having trouble finding out what this perceived major upgrade is.

I have no idea what version 5 will offer, other than probably some significant new features or changes. But If it is like you say I'd say that the real problem isn't that the plugins are breaking but that they don't ensure that they are being fixed again.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Eventually Daz will need to move to a version 5 built on new software. There are a lot of reasons. While DS is 64 bit, its inability to use multiple threads is a growing problem. Some people cannot even open certain props without a crash. This is only going to continue as products get more ambitious and larger. There are plenty of other improvements that need to be made, of which require a new build and cannot just be bolted on to the existing version.

My hope is that when Daz finally does release DS5, that they will maintain DS4 so users can run which ever version they want, much like they can with the DS Beta. This way you can still use your favorite plugins in DS4 while also enjoying the benefits that DS5 brings. I also hope a lot of favorite plugins are built into DS5. Why something like Measure Metrics is not included with DS is beyond me. This would make the transition a bit less painful.

• Eventually Daz will need to move to a version 5 built on new software. There are a lot of reasons. While DS is 64 bit, its inability to use multiple threads is a growing problem. Some people cannot even open certain props without a crash. This is only going to continue as products get more ambitious and larger. There are plenty of other improvements that need to be made, of which require a new build and cannot just be bolted on to the existing version.

My hope is that when Daz finally does release DS5, that they will maintain DS4 so users can run which ever version they want, much like they can with the DS Beta. This way you can still use your favorite plugins in DS4 while also enjoying the benefits that DS5 brings. I also hope a lot of favorite plugins are built into DS5. Why something like Measure Metrics is not included with DS is beyond me. This would make the transition a bit less painful.

Yep, I totally agree.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I'm in the same boat that others are- I have so many characters I could render one a day and five years from now, possibly finish. So I now pick up characters sporadically, and focus on sets to PUT the characters in. I do pick up new characters as an occasional treat, but there's so many Pro Bundles I haven't even explored yet (you know, when they go down to $34 - $43 on Day One, hard to resist) that I won't buy a lot of Genesis 9 for awhile. I'll try it, sure, because their opening volley of prices is always good, but with patience, those items can be picked up much cheaper later.

The exception will be the Pro Bundles, because when you buy those, you get more discounts on the next round, and $40ish for all that content is a no-brainer if you have the funds at the time. So getting the head/body morphs, Victoria 9 etc is a yes, a lot of characters, no, unless deeply discounted.

Eventually Daz will need to move to a version 5 built on new software. There are a lot of reasons. While DS is 64 bit, its inability to use multiple threads is a growing problem. Some people cannot even open certain props without a crash. This is only going to continue as products get more ambitious and larger. There are plenty of other improvements that need to be made, of which require a new build and cannot just be bolted on to the existing version.

..I totally agree with going multithread. and hope they do it before ver. 5 as otherwise that would mean having to choose between being able to handle bigger sets and losing Gen-X which is one of the more important tools in my toolbox for character design.  This is also why for me G3 is the last stop on the bus as the PA is no longer with us..  

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,064
    Taoz said:
    nicstt said:
    Taoz said:
    nicstt said:

Well technically they can just to continue calling it version 4, but that doesn't prevent them from continuing development as usual. So what you're really are asking for is for them to stop normal development progress.

As for breaking plugins I'd say they ideally should be obliged to either fix or refund any commercial plugins purchased here that they break, because DS upgrades are more or less enforced upon you, and AFAIR they do have at least in some cases. And I can't see why a major upgrade should be an excuse for not continuing doing that.

About all we know for sure about DAZ Studio 5.x is that it will be built around the 5.<something> version of the QT toolkit (which provides all the UI interface code). This will by definition break all compiled plugins. DAZ can re-compile the plugins they have source code for - but any others will need to be re-compiled by the creator(s) unless they sell the code to DAZ. In some cases, the effort to upgrade the plugin isn't worth the effort; in other cases, the plugin creator is no longer with us, and the source isn't available.

AFAIK, the main feature we'll see from the QT upgrade is full support for scale-able fonts - which people with 4K monitors have been asking for since they bought the monitor. As to whether Studio 5 will come with Genesis 9 is anyone's guess - those that know aren't telling.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

When Studio 5 comes out, those of us with plugins that won't be upgraded (eg: GenX, etc) will need to keep DS 4 as well. I've spent too much on these plugins to lose them yet.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

It would be nice if, once it is avaialable, DS 5 would *not* erase DS4 when installed. One might not be able to run both of them at the same time, but it would be useful if one could run them on the same machine. Stepping back to an eariler version to run utilities which the newer version has broken is a viable option, if the result can be saved as a scene that can be opened by the new version.

...I'm running the 4.10 beta, 4.9, 3.1 and 1.8 on the same system with no hitch. Whenever there is a change to a new full number (eg. 4 to 5) it will not overwrite the older one.  That only occurrs with updates within in a specific version number.

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,557
    edited November 2018

9th generation ? But what will be the new features ? Without this information I can't tell what I will do.

To be honest, it will also depend on the quality of Michael 9, Darius 9 and the other male figures.

Post edited by Noah LGP on
  • JOdel said:

It would be nice if, once it is avaialable, DS 5 would *not* erase DS4 when installed. One might not be able to run both of them at the same time, but it would be useful if one could run them on the same machine. Stepping back to an eariler version to run utilities which the newer version has broken is a viable option, if the result can be saved as a scene that can be opened by the new version.

Why would you expect otherwise? 4 and 3 can co-exist, and even run at the same time.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,909
    edited November 2018

I'm not sure how much or little of that is tied to a DS5 - single-threaded/multi-threaded is heavily dependent on the type of operation, not just the age of the application, for example and I'm not sure that DS 4 is unable to handle multiple threads.

Do bear in mind that, while measure metrics is branded as a DO the script, Figure Metrics, is clearly a PA product (by Rob Whisenant).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • namffuak said:
    Taoz said:
    nicstt said:
    Taoz said:
    nicstt said:

About all we know for sure about DAZ Studio 5.x is that it will be built around the 5.<something> version of the QT toolkit (which provides all the UI interface code). This will by definition break all compiled plugins. DAZ can re-compile the plugins they have source code for - but any others will need to be re-compiled by the creator(s) unless they sell the code to DAZ. In some cases, the effort to upgrade the plugin isn't worth the effort; in other cases, the plugin creator is no longer with us, and the source isn't available.

AFAIK, the main feature we'll see from the QT upgrade is full support for scale-able fonts - which people with 4K monitors have been asking for since they bought the monitor. As to whether Studio 5 will come with Genesis 9 is anyone's guess - those that know aren't telling.

While it has been said that a Qt upgrade is needed to support scalable fonts, that merely means it is a necessary condition not a sufficient condition.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    If there are male characters I find appealing, I'll buy them. I have llenty of female content.
  • If Genesis 9 continues the trend that 8 started, I'll mostly be buying PA and third party products. I bought the base Owen and then Edward, and plan on buying Lee 8 based on the quality of Mei Lin 8, but would love to see 9's DO G9M base lineup make a return to the usable versatility of G3M, or even G2M which I also use a lot still.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,064

Back to the thread -Yes, I'll at least pick up the G9 starters and the base Mike and Vicky. After that, it depends on just what the enhancements and improvements are. And, TBH, how big the discounts get. laugh

• EJWorksEJWorks Posts: 483

For myself, not planning to. I keep telling myself I'm not going to buy any more of the Genesis 8 figures beyond the few I'm still waiting for (Lee, Kimo, Kalea, Kenji, Hiro, and The Guy) But I still ended up buying Latonya base and Vladimir pro bundle, so it just really depends on the figure, if I like the bundle, the sale, and if I have the money at the time. But I'm thinking I'm going to stop once this generation comes to an end and take a break from new Daz items for a year or two.