Genesis 9 delayed until at least 2020. Will you be buying it?

Comments

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,312

I have yet to use G8F in a render. It offers nothing that I can't do with G3F which has some critical morphs that aren't available for G8F.

Cheers,

Alex.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I only upgraded to G8 because the expressions and bending are much better.  I can't justify spending much more money on anything especially a new generation.  I will only be purchasing the very basic things I need for the promo work I do and that will be it. For personal use, I don't need any more characters, right now I think I could render one character a day for the next five years and still not render the same one. 

• IllidanstormIllidanstorm Posts: 655
    edited July 2018

I hope DAZ3D can make G9 even more bendable without the mesh being distorted in a unwanted way in extreme positions.
    If you do just that I'll call it an upgrade.
    Clothes being competiable from all recent figures (yes even V3 and V4) would also be great :).

Post edited by Illidanstorm on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I hope DAZ3D can make G9 even more bendable without the mesh being distorted in a unwanted way in extreme positions.
    If you do just that I'll call it an upgrade.
    Clothes being competiable from all recent figures (yes even V3 and V4) would also be great :).

Yes, face ain't near "easily" elastic enough to easily make realistic and believable expression still. Also range of motion on the actual body is too limited, less range of motion than what most people can manage.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    I had pretty much skipped over G3 and remained happy with G2. Then I invested in G8. Unless there is a huge improvement, I won't be jumping on it. I'll take advantage of the G8 sales, but will hold off a year. It's a pain waiting for the utilities to come out.
  • dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    I had pretty much skipped over G3 and remained happy with G2. Then I invested in G8. Unless there is a huge improvement, I won't be jumping on it. I'll take advantage of the G8 sales, but will hold off a year. It's a pain waiting for the utilities to come out.
  • freni-kynfreni-kyn Posts: 394
    mr clam said:

I'd have less of a problem with the 2 year cycle if the Pro Bundles included morphs/expressions and the HD add-on. If they need to dump the elf clothes to make this happen, so be it!

Wait what?  I need elf clothes!

dragotx said:

I started actually using Studio fairly late in G3's cycle, but by now I have a good collection of things from genesis/v4 all the way through g8.  While I mostly use g8 models these days, it's not unusual at all for me to have characters from all generations in my scene, with clothing generations mixed all over the place.  I'm working on one right now that has a Genesis character, a g3 with a g8 dress (with dforce applied) and a g2 hair, and another g3 with g8 clothing.  I use whatever catches my eye at the time I'm putting the scene together.  But I've also purchased the extra utilities to make autofit work well moving stuff from generation to generation.  And when g9 comes out, I'll get the morphs for them when they release (release date will be the cheapest they'll be for quite some time) as well as the autofit utilities to add G9 into my workflow

You know, I think I own all the utilities but how about a list, jist in case I missed something somewhere?

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    freni-kyn said:

I personally feel that the people that are making the add ons like Sickleyield should be on staff and that all that stuff should come with daz.roi is not there, at all.  Although I guess you could say that every penny I have invested is an investment in my 3d education. 

That's a HARD no lol. One, I will never voluntarily cease to be self-employed and sitting around at home in soft pants. Two, it's unlikely they'd be able to offer what I'm making now, even if they did want to hire me as a salaried employee (and I say openly that they would be foolish to do so when the quality of their existing employees is so high). Without the freedom to experiment, abuse the program's features for uses beyond the intended, find holes in the market and plug them, I have no monetary value to Daz or anyone.
  • AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 790

Yeah, better bends. For the face, better smile lines are a must. Right now, I get uncanny valley vibes every time a G8 figure smiles. I also want figures that aren't so low resolution for the base mesh.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,803

I will only upgrade, because something will bend better, or some other cool features will be included or because I‘m just curious. cheeky

freni-kyn said:

I personally feel that the people that are making the add ons like Sickleyield should be on staff and that all that stuff should come with daz.roi is not there, at all.  Although I guess you could say that every penny I have invested is an investment in my 3d education. 

That's a HARD no lol. One, I will never voluntarily cease to be self-employed and sitting around at home in soft pants. Two, it's unlikely they'd be able to offer what I'm making now, even if they did want to hire me as a salaried employee (and I say openly that they would be foolish to do so when the quality of their existing employees is so high). Without the freedom to experiment, abuse the program's features for uses beyond the intended, find holes in the market and plug them, I have no monetary value to Daz or anyone.

I meant that you still get to operate just exactly like you have.  All the flexibility, and ability to abuse and experiment, just from home and whatever times you want to work.  The difference is they give enough warning that you have time to create the great stuff that makes daz work properly when the new character is released, instead of down the road.  And that they pay you either flat out or a percentage, however you want it set up, from the ultra premium acounts.  The people who opted out of premium would continue to purchase your products the same as they always have. 

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm at the place where I want a complete package instead of a base model upgreade.  I say this because I have bought hundreds of dollars worth of daz and rendo products every single month since g8 came out and now, one year later, I finally have what I need to repeat what I had done in genesis three and two.  I look at that and think, why bother with a g9 because I will not be able to use it like I want to until I've invested another 6,000 (not an exageration) and waited a year for all the versatile morphs and clothing tools to come out. 

• I hope Genesis 9 is a long way away...

For those who are interested, here are 2 tutorials I've used to get morphs & clones up to Genesis 8. Following these tutorials takes a lot of time but the pay-off for me has been worth it. I, too, like the better expressions with Genesis 8.

The first tutorial works really well on everything but the large-eyed Aiko characters. I also used Generation X2 with add-ons to get everything (even back to A3, V3, Luke/Laura3, M3, D3, V4, M4, etc.) up to Genesis 3...then up to Genesis 8.

https://www.deviantart.com/a-sennov/journal/Tutorial-Morphs-from-Genesis-3-to-8-accurate-way-735130233

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/193296/freebie-how-to-create-a-v4-clone-and-transfer-other-figures-for-g8f-now-with-video/p1

And this has been glorious for poses:  https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/g3-g8-pose-adjust-scripts/77430

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

I will only upgrade, because something will bend better, or some other cool features will be included or because I‘m just curious. cheeky

Well the base would be free as part of the Genesis 9 Essentials pack we all would get so it's a chance to try the figure out first anyways!  

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

What does the question mean?

Will I try G9?

Will I use G9 exclusively from release? (problematic at release as there is very little available for it).

Will I use G9 in preference to an alternative if it has one available?

Will I continue to use what gets the job done?

No idea it is seven months or more away; this presumes it arrives at about the same time as previous generations and the duration between the two stays the same.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

I will experiment with the basic (free) G9, but I doubt I'll put money down unless G9 is several orders of magnitude better than G3/G8. I'm currently down to 56 items in my wishlist, and most of those items are 'New' so I'm waiting for better discounts. With over half a Tb of Daz runtime, I have enough to render almost any kind of scene I can envision, and I doubt I'll use everything in my life time.

That said, there are new artists finding Daz3D and Studio every day, so G9/G10/etc is for them.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082

Assumig that there are contnued improvements to figure rigging systems, I will buy G9.  I will buy lots of add-ons for G9.  I will buy the Victoria and Michael bundles for G9.  My name is Diomede, and I am a Dazaholic.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,568

Assumig that there are contnued improvements to figure rigging systems, I will buy G9.  I will buy lots of add-ons for G9.  I will buy the Victoria and Michael bundles for G9.  My name is Diomede, and I am a Dazaholic.

I thought you were a Carraraholic wink

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

real toe nodes with invisibles toggle is a deal breaker.

• I generally don't start buying a new generation until six months into it unless there is some huge advantage to it.  G2 over G1 for example, and G1 over V4 simply because I was getting really tired of the cross-morph problem.  I was slow changing from G2 to G3.  I do like G8 better than G3.  Can I say if I will buy G9 before I even know what it is about?  Um, no.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Not unless the figure is rigged so that blubber rolls, hair moves, muscles flex and roll, and IK & dForce work really well & much faster in DAZ Studio. Also to have a standard way to change a figures skin tone, hair color, eye color, sweatiness/wetness without a boat load of the same addons again would be helpful. Then add in the usual head, body, and expression DO products to make the Genesis 9 base complete and flexible.

I'd like to see the anatomical elements be included and come out as a product with the above improvements as a 'Genesis 9 Female Pro' or a 'Genesis 9 Male Pro'.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114

Possibly, but I suspect the "base"/official characters would somehow be more lacking, in terms of morphs/shapes and skins, than G8. Since Aiko 5, it's just been only two morphs (head and body) unless it was a creature/fae base, which had extra morphs. Skins were good until G8, where the default settings make everything practically look the same.

As for PAs, I'm sure they'll take advantage of the advances, and make unique and beautiful characters and/or morph packs.

• If there are significant improvements I will buy in as I can.  Else, I will prolly stay with G8 for the foreseeable future as I have all the morphs I could conceivably need and the vast majority of my content is usable with it thanks to converter scripts.  HOwever I will always be on the watch for new environments, lights shaders etc

• If there are significant improvements I will buy in as I can.  Else, I will prolly stay with G8 for the foreseeable future as I have all the morphs I could conceivably need and the vast majority of my content is usable with it thanks to converter scripts.  HOwever I will always be on the watch for new environments, lights shaders etc

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Yep. In it for the long haul. I have every generation available. I use them all, and I enjoy them all. I can't wait to see what 9 looks like. Lovin' 8!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,581

...nope.

Satisfied with my investment in G3.  On a fixed income that has become even tighter, so no way can I afford to invest in everything to make a new Genesis iteration as useful as what I already have. I haven't even bought into G8.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082

And becoming a Hexagonaholic.  smiley

• I have some G3 assets but mostly my assets are G8. That's simply a matter of when I got serious about doing anything with Daz. When/if G9 comes out I won't switch over unless it has something enormous going for it. I simply have too much invested in G8. I'll pick up the free/heavily discounted stuff on the day of release, because I'm not a total fool and I'll wait on the rest until I can pick it up for free or for 90% off or the like as part of some other package. Presumably there will be loads of G9/G8 material just as there has been lots of G8/G3 material the last 18 months or so. That will mean I'll accumulate a fair amount of G9 material simply by acquiring assets I need for G8. 

Hopefully we'll see things like a Daz Cat to match the Daz Dog that came out in the summer. I know there was an older cat but I bought it and it simply wasn't up to modern rendering. Also I'd like to see dForce improved to actually work like poser dynamic clothing and to actually work well with hair as well.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804

Genesis 9!

you mean there is a G3,4,5,6,7 and 8

wow... Daz3d need to update Carrara pronto devil

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,804

And becoming a Hexagonaholic.  smiley

you can get medication for that angel cool