Genesis 9 delayed until at least 2020. Will you be buying it?

freni-kynfreni-kyn Posts: 394
edited August 2019 in The Commons

Edit: Since Steve announced that G9 will not be out this year, I've shifted the topic of this post to reflect that news.  A lot of the early comments are based on my original title and the following posts.  Lots of interesting thoughts from people about how they use daz, what they hope daz will make next, and whether they want to invest in a new generation of genesis.  Here's a link to the anouncement post:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4455636/#Comment_4455636

Original post:  I see we have hit the one year mark for Genesis 8.  Wow this last year went fast!  Am I wrong in thinking Genesis 9 will be out next year?  If so I really hope all my old stuff works because wow, I've spent way too much money. 

Post edited by freni-kyn on

Comments

• JazzyBearJazzyBear Posts: 797

Probably so based on the last 6 years. Assuming there is not a massive technology jump just save bit for clothes transfer and pose transfer utilities.

You will see artists using V4/M4 stuff in current renders with G8F/G8M. We are all in the same boat as the saying goes, so the utilities come... just never as fast as we want!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

It might come next year I'd guess, but it will need much bigger improvements than the Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 jump for me personally to do the 'upgrade process' meaning me buying the utilities, aging, child, ..., and so on once again. The way I see it Genesis 9 can't make such a jump without massive technology capability improvements in DAZ Studio itself. I will be very interested to see Genesis 9.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

It might come next year I'd guess, but it will need much bigger improvements than the Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 jump for me personally to do the 'upgrade process' meaning me buying the utilities, aging, child, ..., and so on once again. The way I see it Genesis 9 can't make such a jump without massive technology capability improvements in DAZ Studio itself. I will be very interested to see Genesis 9.

Agreed

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    ...I still have not made the jump to G8 because the changes did not warrant the reinvestment in all new morphs and merchant resources.
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

man I hope not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sad

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

Gawd, I don't even wanna think about it until the time comes. surprise

Laurie

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited July 2018
    kyoto kid said:
    ...I still have not made the jump to G8 because the changes did not warrant the reinvestment in all new morphs and merchant resources.

Again, agreed. However, G8 has seen something of a new direction with some really interesting (non-glamorous) characters. I wish there was an easy way to transfer those characters to G3 but I don't think there is. So I have bought Edie and Abel but had to resist Mabel.

[EDIT] Of course, I should have remembered that Abel is for G3M, not G8.

Post edited by marble on
  • Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,723

Oh my, I've barely gotten started with Genesis 8. Over the past 18+ years I've done precious little actual art. I won't rush into Genesis 9.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,955
    edited July 2018

man I hope not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sad

Given the 2 year cycle we have been experiencing since the release of Genesis, would not be surprised at all to see Genesis 9 next year.. :(  And well I have only just started getting into Genesis 3 because of https://www.daz3d.com/fantasy-creature-creator-hd-morph-pack-for-genesis-3-female-19.. And the only reason I have not gone full tilt into Genesis 8 is very much due to there being no https://www.daz3d.com/fantasy-creature-creator-hd-morph-pack-for-genesis-3-female-19 for Genesis 8..

So if Genesis 9 does come out next year it will be a case of wait and see what they do..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,982
    marble said:
    kyoto kid said:

Again, agreed. However, G8 has seen something of a new direction with some really interesting (non-glamorous) characters. I wish there was an easy way to transfer those characters to G3 but I don't think there is. So I have bought Edie and Abel but had to resist Mabel.

I also bought those exatraordinary characters for G8, but otherwise, haven't made the jump to G8, i.e. not clothing wise. Again, I make exceptions for extraordinary stuff. But as things are, I have even cut down on buying PC+ items for G8. My workhorses are G2&G3 at the moment.

So, G9... I'll probably do the same as with G8, unless there's some blow away things, I'll just sit it out. I'm thinking about investing that money into Marvelous Designer instead, and finally start to put all those tutorials into practice.

edited July 2018
    marble said:
    kyoto kid said:

..true but I cannot justify dumping 52$ into the body/head morphs as well as additional finds for morph/shaping merchant resources for both genders to support those few characters on my income. Were G8 a radical improvement over G3 it might be different

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • IllidanstormIllidanstorm Posts: 655
    I hope they will make G9 soon since G8 was a massive fail to me. I didn't like 90% of the pro bundles and Victoria 8 has never looked as bad.
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    kyoto kid said:
    marble said:
    kyoto kid said:

..true but I cannot justify dumping 52$ into the body/head morphs as well as additional finds for morph/shaping merchant resources for both genders to support those few characters on my income. Were G8 a radical improvement over G3 it might be different

I know what you mean. Since I've switched over to Daz, I've only bought every other generation (Genesis, and now Genesis 3). I mean clothes can be autofitted between generations, but I can't afford to buy morphs, texture packs and anatomical elements for every generation, so I skipped G2 and G8. But of course some of the new models like Floyd, Mabel and Felton are making me rethink my strategy. Just when I have a system worked out, Daz throws in a monkey wrench. Oh well.

• MendomanMendoman Posts: 400

I'm still quite happy with G3, and like some others I skipped G8. There has been couple nice G8 characters I'd like to have, but it's too expensive to buy all the other stuff just for few characters. Also there has been couple of nice clothing items I've been watching, but I'll wait until they are on big sale before I try how well they fit for my G3 characters. Of course those HD expessions are nice, but those could have been made for G3 also, so I don't think that's really G8 model improvement.

When it comes to G9, I'm interested, but it must have more improvements than new base pose and minor eye improvements, before I'm willing to invest in it. If there's soft body physics or something really new, I'm all in.

• Mendoman said:

I'm still quite happy with G3, and like some others I skipped G8.

This. yes

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

just stay a generation behind and grab stuff on sales yes

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    th3Digit said:

just stay a generation behind and grab stuff on sales yes

I may start doing that. Floyd and Mabel are too adorable to pass up. My biggest gripe with Daz is that every generation we get 20 or so variations on the same Barbie and Ken dolls. Seeing characters that are older, shorter, multi cultured, heavier, or even made of felt is a refreshing change.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,749

As an animator I consider the Daz genesis platform to have Peaked with Genesis 2.

In light of Wendy's brilliant Discovery  regarding
    retargeting  G1 motion data to G3, with no external software,
    I am glad that  I  did get a few Characters for G3
    (Ivan &fat George HD)

I remain on Daz studio 4.8 because ,at this point ,Daz studio is merely a brief stop in my pipeline
    for wardrobe/morph changes and import of Motion Data from Iclone pro before sending my Characters to Lightwave or C4D for final rendering.

G8 was Dead on Arrival for me
    I imagine G9 will be also.indecision

Additionally if the new Iclone Character creator 3 figures are as Good as they Look in the Iclone 2018 Roadmap
    I may be replacing Daz studio at least partially as a Character resource for final renders in the near future . 

• DripDrip Posts: 1,125

There are many interesting things available for G8, and I've gotten quite a few of them as well. However, my go-to figure is still G3. Products that keep in mind the G3 users and include G3 assets with their G8 assets have a bigger chance to get my attention. I don't expect G9 to change that. If anything, I'll probably develop a preference for G9 products that have backwards compatibility to G8 and G3 as well.

The only thing that might sway my preference over to G9: Victoria 4 clones and some simple, intuitive way to even bring morphs and UVs from V4.2, G3 and G8 into G9. So, it'd have to be a fully backwards compatible before I'd consider moving over entirely.

I know, it's too much to ask. But, that's simply how it is for many people that have a lot of assets for previous figures. People do want to move over, but they don't want to write off their past investments.

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 827

My content collection currently overfloweth with people. I really like G8 and coupled with the fact that I have been able to bring my favorite G3 characters over to G8 along with the greater chunk of their wardrobes , I’m now much more interested in things like props, shaders and such.  I would absolutely love to see Cat 8 also.

G9 when it comes is going to have to be utterly amazing for me to jump for it any big way and therein lies the problem because if it IS utterly amazing and a huge leap forward in realism, bending,morphing etc it’s likely to NOT be backwards compatible with the previous generations or it might even be something my current hardware configuration can’t handle well. 

Conversely, if it’s not an utterly amazing forward jump, there may not be all that much of a huge need for anyone that’s currently happy with G3/G8 to move forward in any big way. That could be a big problem for DAZ3D and the PA’s as people and businesses need to make money to pay the bills and survive as business entities.

Those things said, I find myself hoping that G9 will be more about creatures, animals, ethnicities, and unusual (meaning not 20-something males and females).  I would also love to see even more props, shaders, environments, tools and whatnot.  

Of course this is just me.  I’m sure there are lots of other opinions out there and I’d love to see them .

• I get vaguely depressed when a new generation comes out because I know that the generation I've dumped hundreds of dollars on is going to be left behind and -in theory- DAZ thinks I'll dump hundreds of dollars more on the new gen, but in reality it just pushes me closer to quitting and going outside and feeling sunshine on my skin.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,955
    edited July 2018

I get vaguely depressed when a new generation comes out because I know that the generation I've dumped hundreds of dollars on is going to be left behind and -in theory- DAZ thinks I'll dump hundreds of dollars more on the new gen, but in reality it just pushes me closer to quitting and going outside and feeling sunshine on my skin.

I know your pain, ite gets rather annoying pooring vast amounts of money, on buying content for a base figure only to have any new content for that base figure dry up, when a entirely new base figure product line gets released it can sometimes get very disheartening..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • TooncesToonces Posts: 919

Hmm, I hope G9 comes soon because G3/8 will get cheaper.

Plus G3 seems to be getting a lot more support in it's old age than previous generations. New stuff still released for it. Hopefully the same will be true for G8 once G9 comes out. G3 and G8 are so compatible, I can usually buy stuff for either one and use interchangeably.

• KaribouKaribou Posts: 1,325
    Mendoman said:

When it comes to G9, I'm interested, but it must have more improvements than new base pose and minor eye improvements, before I'm willing to invest in it. If there's soft body physics or something really new, I'm all in.

Yeah.  It would take something like this for me to be excited.  And even then... I wince at another learning curve.  DForce has been awesome (and as a long-time Poser cloth room user, it's been relatively painless to learn), but I'm not thrilled about learning another new thing just yet.  I've no doubt it's coming.  And I've no doubt I'll try it... because I buy, well, just about everything. That said, I still use WAY more G3 than G8 stuff.  G8 still feels very new.  Never thought I'd say this, but I may finally be achieving "shopping exhaustion," which I didn't know I could actually feel, lol. 

I'm not sure what G9 could possibly have that G8 doesn't.  I still have trouble deciding what G8 has that G3 doesn't. Thanks to the backwards (and sometimes forwards) compatability of figures, I generally don't squawk too much when new stuff comes out, but if I'm overwhelmed by the rapid change, I can only imagine what the content creators feel. Not only do they have to learn how to navigate all the new technical stuff, they also have to decide which figure(s) to support.  Do they support both old and new figures, making their creation process longer and more labor intensive?  Or do they just stick with one figure, thereby potentially cutting off parts of their market?

I hope we get a little reprieve, at least until something monumental comes along.

• DripDrip Posts: 1,125

On the other hand, I haven't seen Lilith 8 yet. So perhaps Genesis 9 is still a long way away?

And why Lilith 8? Because Lilith characters are very re-usable in a variety of genres, and have the potential for ridiculous amounts of add-ons. Hell Princess looks awesome and does get close (I'm holding out until I see some awesome aliens made out of her), but she's no Lilith, she seems a bit more imp-blooded to me.

• Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 are extremely portable between the two, so aside from character morphs, there's a much much lower hurdle to move into the current generation.

It's taken time for me to love Genesis 8, but there are morphs in Genesis 8 that I don't have in Genesis 3 and vice versa. I need both in each of their unique ways. Perhaps they are small changes in individual morphs (and I sometimes move morphs between the two), but why not both? It's just not the same leap as I had from Genesis 2 to Genesis 3, but I did make the leap and aside from one or two figures (Jepe's guys, Darius 6 and Lee 6), I haven't looked back.

I'll buy the sh99 out of Genesis 9 and I won't think twice about it. I probably won't use Genesis 9 for a long time, even when I buy it, but it does take time to build up the library where I discover the things I want in a new generation.

I hope Genesis 9 will be as integrated with Genesis 3 as Genesis 8 has been, but who knows? If Genesis 9 is enough of a leap that it puts Genesis 3/8 in the dust, then I welcome it.

Lilith 7 was a watered down version of Lilith 6, IMO. If they do Lilith 8, they need to bring sexy back.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,518

NEWS FLASH!

Intel has just released their i10 2000kk cpu clocking in at 8.4 GHz just in time to be paired with nvidias latest GTX 2090ti with onboard 100 GB DDR10.

To celebrate this grand occasion DAZ is releasing Genesis 9, the latest in their flagship figure line. With 175K of polygons, 8 levels of subdivision and advanced proprietary rigging that won't work anywhere else but in DAZ's flagship posing and animation app, Daz Studio, along with zero backwards compatibility to ensure quality standards with each new character that is released.

With this kind of unprecedented detail this figure is by far the more realistic figure ever released for Daz Studio and the only figure you will ever need. devil

• zombietaggerungzombietaggerung Posts: 3,633

Don't say that too loudly, someone may actually believe it. >_>

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Those that know are not saying.

From a personal perspective; if it is as backward-compatible as G8 was to G3, I'll be interested.

Genesis 3 and Genesis 8 are extremely portable between the two, so aside from character morphs, there's a much much lower hurdle to move into the current generation.

It's taken time for me to love Genesis 8, but there are morphs in Genesis 8 that I don't have in Genesis 3 and vice versa. I need both in each of their unique ways. Perhaps they are small changes in individual morphs (and I sometimes move morphs between the two), but why not both? It's just not the same leap as I had from Genesis 2 to Genesis 3, but I did make the leap and aside from one or two figures (Jepe's guys, Darius 6 and Lee 6), I haven't looked back.

I'll buy the sh99 out of Genesis 9 and I won't think twice about it. I probably won't use Genesis 9 for a long time, even when I buy it, but it does take time to build up the library where I discover the things I want in a new generation.

I hope Genesis 9 will be as integrated with Genesis 3 as Genesis 8 has been, but who knows? If Genesis 9 is enough of a leap that it puts Genesis 3/8 in the dust, then I welcome it.

Lilith 7 was a watered down version of Lilith 6, IMO. If they do Lilith 8, they need to bring sexy back.

...yeah its the character morphs that are the breaking point.  The previous Genesis generations pretty much just kept regurgitating updates of the "usual suspects", Vicky, Mike, Josie, Aiko, Olympia etc etc.  Now with G8 we are actually seeing new and unique characters never introduced before which to use, requires having to purchase all the base morphs and merchant resources all over again (and some of the latter are still not available) as they are not backwards compatible to G3.