Genesis 9 delayed until at least 2020. Will you be buying it?

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,579
    edited July 2018
    freni-kyn said:
    Kitsumo said:
    th3Digit said:

just stay a generation behind and grab stuff on sales yes

I may start doing that. Floyd and Mabel are too adorable to pass up. My biggest gripe with Daz is that every generation we get 20 or so variations on the same Barbie and Ken dolls. Seeing characters that are older, shorter, multi cultured, heavier, or even made of felt is a refreshing change.

Agree about the Barbie and Ken thing.  That was my biggest gripe about g3.  

..same here. Sadly it wasn't until G8 that we really got unique characters that fill a lot of roles which G3 and earlier versions of Genesis didn't support. A total bugger as it still requires a decent investment in morphs and merchant resources to really make it work for custom character development.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

Genesis 9 ... Already?! I am still using G2 and barely starting to use G3! Not even going to go into G3.1 or Genesis 8 as everyone else calls it. Yes I consider G8 an upgrade of G3 jsut like V4.2 was an upgrade of V4. There just wasn't enough changes to warent it being considered a whole new character. There is going to have to be a SERIOUS change from the current character platform to warnet me to even look or think about using it. 

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587

As long as DAZ Studio can load the Generation 4 - Genesis 8 models and characters, I'm sticking to my guns and not going any further.  There would have to be some MAJOR development (and the final release of Carrara 9 Pro with support for all base models) before I continue investing in this stuff.  I'm currently learning how to model so I can get off this wagon. :)

• Genesis 9 ... Already?! I am still using G2 and barely starting to use G3! Not even going to go into G3.1 or Genesis 8 as everyone else calls it. Yes I consider G8 an upgrade of G3 jsut like V4.2 was an upgrade of V4. There just wasn't enough changes to warent it being considered a whole new character. There is going to have to be a SERIOUS change from the current character platform to warnet me to even look or think about using it. 

No, rather premature speculation about whether we might see Genesis 9 in a year.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764

I'm currently learning how to model so I can get off this wagon. :)

Wise move..most wiseyes

• EJWorksEJWorks Posts: 483

man I hope not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sad

I'd rather G8 have a full 3 year run, maybe even 4 years. I think when they make the switch is when I'll let my membership drop and stop buying for a while. I still enjoy using Genesis 2 a lot, I don't really know what kind of "improvements" could be made to make a new generation worth buying, for me at least.

• freni-kynfreni-kyn Posts: 394
    kyoto kid said:
    freni-kyn said:
    Kitsumo said:
    th3Digit said:

just stay a generation behind and grab stuff on sales yes

I may start doing that. Floyd and Mabel are too adorable to pass up. My biggest gripe with Daz is that every generation we get 20 or so variations on the same Barbie and Ken dolls. Seeing characters that are older, shorter, multi cultured, heavier, or even made of felt is a refreshing change.

Agree about the Barbie and Ken thing.  That was my biggest gripe about g3.  

..same here. Sadly it wasn't until G8 that we really got unique characters that fill a lot of roles which G3 and earlier versions of Genesis didn't support. A total bugger as it still requires a decent investment in morphs and merchant resources to really make it work for custom character development.

I kept buying v4 and m4 models because I did not like how perfect the characters were and the lack of character lines on onder figures.  And yes.  I've spent a ton of money on all the morphs.  I could kick myself for buying the g3 ones and keep hoping someone will come out with a method of transfering them over to g8 that is easy.  A genx type of thing except not one that messes up my file system.

Since we were drifting a bit off topic, I changed the name to incoroprate the interesting things everyone has been posting.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,114
    To answer your question, it seems like I'm probably not going to upgrade until Genesis 11, since I practically went from G1 to G8, (if that pattern holds up). Main reasons I upgrade to G8 was no more GenX, the Pro Bundle deals, RareStone's head morphs, and G8's facial expressions. For my needs, these suit me just fine.
  • DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828
    EJWorks said:

I'd rather G8 have a full 3 year run, maybe even 4 years. I think when they make the switch is when I'll let my membership drop and stop buying for a while. I still enjoy using Genesis 2 a lot, I don't really know what kind of "improvements" could be made to make a new generation worth buying, for me at least.

It would be a good idea to extend the G8 life cycle .  We have been seeing really interesting characters lately of the sort that people have been requesting for years.  With an e tended life cycle there would be time for content creators to really get creative .  This would result in more product diversity for the customer base and more income for the creators.  

• Prince WaoPrince Wao Posts: 373

It's really interesting to see which models people use and prefer. I began with Daz in 2013 and after awhile I began using it for book cover design, then early last year I began designing wall art with my renders printed on HD acrylic which is expensive but via the UK high end art printer I use I get truly luxury quality products. I love mixing and matching for sets and outfits, but what I've enjoyed most is creating my own new characters as being a writer I like to see fictional characters I've created come to life. What's always surprised me is how popular the Daz characters are as G1-G8 are so morphable that anyone can create their own. However, my favorite 'mannequins' to date are still G2 m & f. I totally skipped G3 as it wasn't backwards compatible, but having moved on to G8 which theoretically should allow greater morphability than G2 I find I still get better facial variations with G2. As I think many agree, the big off-putter with ever new Genesis models is the extra costs involved. I nearly always have around 50 items in my Wish List which at no time can I afford to buy all, so I now purchase only sets, clothing, props, etc, when I know I'm going to have a real need for them. As it is I could easily spend £5k and still not have even 50% of the items I'd like to have. As I'm often disappointed that a new great outfit r hairstyle I'd love to use isn't compatible with characters I've already created I totally dread the arrival of G9! What I'd much prefer to see are scripts or whatever to make outfits, hair and body props compatible with all Genesis figures. Had this always been possible I would have definitely bought a lot more than I already have (and I buy regularly anyway, PC+ being a great boon).

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Genesis 2 had HD. Genesis 3 had Iray usually built directly into whatever came out. Genesis 8... Well, there's dForce, but that should just as easily be able to be retroactively built into previous clothing, couldn't it?

The only reason I obtain Genesis 8 products is if there's a G8-only character which is somehow critical to my needs. Genesis 3 is performing perfectly well for my projects; the only thing lacking is dForce for most of my existing clothing assets, but that isn't an effect which is really G8-related.

So, a big thank you to those who are still creating poses, props and more for the G3 line! It's hugely appreciated and certainly guarantees I'm a lot more likely to spend money on any! Those let me combine them with so many more things I already have.

Bone improvements did a lot for expressions in G8. They made it worthwhile upgrading.

Morph-wise, I have bought 4 packages. They are all I need, well 200 plus I could have managed without, but they add great versitility and are very well done.

I buy G3, and V4 and even Genesis and G2; I can convert them to G8, texture-wise is very straightforward; it can be time-consuming if I want to convert the morphs, but I rarely bother, but have.

Almost none of what I have is obsolete, and when G9 comes along, G8 won't be either... Unless there are some spectacular changes.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I use Genesis 3 and 8, and have more than I'll ever be able to use. Genesis 9 would just be an endless moneypit of more things I don't have time to render anymore. So may pick up the basics while 50-60% off (or more) but just wait otherwise unless things are highly discounted. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    EJWorks said:

Daikatana said:

It would be a good idea to extend the G8 life cycle .  We have been seeing really interesting characters lately of the sort that people have been requesting for years.  With an e tended life cycle there would be time for content creators to really get creative .  This would result in more product diversity for the customer base and more income for the creators.  

I said the same sort of things back when folks were speculating on when we'd see Genesis 4/Victoria 8. (Of course, back then, we didn't know Daz was going to skip 4-7 in the Genesis name.) G8 improvements are not obvious until you pose the figure or give it a subtle expression not possible with G3. However, they are so similar in other ways, I'm convinced all the clothing, shoes, hair and poses, etc. would be interchangable between the two generations had they not changed the default pose nor removed the heel bone. (As annoying as it is to fight with heeled shoes, I personally think removing the heel bone is an improvement.)

I really wish they hadn't changed the default pose. If all the products for G3 were compatible with G8 and vice-versa, it would have actually given me more incentive to buy into G8. I know how to make the clothing work using Sy's tutorial, but some of the JCMs are wrong and things like seams at the shoulder are off. And not everyone is at the point where they can follow such a tutorial.

Now, if the improvements to the G9 figure are such G8 and G9 products, (clothing, shoes, hair, poses, etc.,) were essentially interchangeable by simply changing the Scene Identification, I'd be far more likely to spend money on G9 products. (For anyone who doesn't know what Scene Identification is, see Sy's tutorial, linked above,)  It is my opinion, Daz left money on the table by changing the pose, (and removing the heel bone.) With the release of each new generation, we are faced with buying new head/body/expression morphs and a lack of products specific to that generation. If the products from the previous generation will work with the new generation by changing the Scene Identification, and vice-versa, it makes it much easier financially to be an early adopter of the newest generation. Faced with having to, essentially, "start over" with each new generation is a hurdle to some, and a road block to others.

Personally, I invested heavily into G3. I cannot afford to do the same with G8, let alone future generations. The more compatible those future generations are with each other and G3/G8, the more likely I will be able to buy products from those generations. If they are not compatible, as a senior on a fixed income, I simply won't be able to afford any of them, I know I'm not alone.

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 551

I think it's a simple concpet - those who want to move on can and those who don't, then don't. For my needs, the 2-year cycle is sufficient and Genesis 8 was a big enough leap forward to justify it. Of course, I hope for a Gen2-3 leap with Gen9, but I don't see anything wrong with 2-year cycles. 

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    edited July 2018
    Saldaz said:
    PedroC said:

I think the problem it's not Genesis 9 in 2019, the problem it's Genesis 10 only two years later. Why to want G9 in 2019 if you can have G10 in 2021?.

But why would go for G10 in 2021 when you can get G11 in 2023?

:)

I think I'll wait for Genesis 15 in 2031 myself. wink

I don't like the system requirements: A quantum processor with 6 cores, 12 cores, or any combination of the two simultaneously. "My render started off ok, but I changed the outcome by observing it."

Post edited by Kitsumo on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited July 2018

I'm on board with genesis 9-male. Each generation offers some great improvements, so sure. I can't wait to see what Gen 9 male will be like. Hopefully more improved expression around the mouth, better bens especially in the neck, and arms , and better gens. We've had the same set for several generations now.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    L'Adair said:

I really wish they hadn't changed the default pose. If all the products for G3 were compatible with G8 and vice-versa, it would have actually given me more incentive to buy into G8. I know how to make the clothing work using Sy's tutorial, but some of the JCMs are wrong and things like seams at the shoulder are off. And not everyone is at the point where they can follow such a tutorial.

When I saw the new default pose I assumed they did that because games and other software often use that pose.  So they were trying to make the figure more compatible, and competitive, with an 'industry standard'.  But there is no reason they could not be a script that would allow us to use either pose as our default and switch it down the road if we need to export it to a different program.

I'm on board with genesis 9-male. Each generation offers some great improvements, so sure. I can't wait to see what Gen 9 male will be like. Hopefully more improved expression around the mouth, better bens especially in the neck, and arms , and better gens. We've had the same set for several generations now.

I'm with you on the gens.  I actually have no idea what the new gens look like because I struggled so much to even find the gens for g2 when I first started that I decided I just did not care if the clown has no ....

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Well seeing as how you have to choose what generation an item was built for using autofit I don't see why autofit couldn't be slightly modified to work ab abbriviated version of how the dForce animation process works, that is the G8 figure to get the G3 (or prior compatible generationsclothing (or hair or ...) no matter the pose it is in, is put in a t-pose, clothing fitted, put back in the original pose, clothing re-fitted. 

Clothing and hair and such has compatibility settings too so I'm at a loss why autofit even needs to ask what generation clothing was desihned for - it should detect that from the clothing itself and then prompt the user is what it detected in the clothing for original compatibility actually correct.

I downloaded Daz years ago but did not actually start messing with it until about the time g2 was transitioning to g3.  I did not know to buy morphs and things like that when they were first released and often let them slide.  Which resulted in purchasing them later when I desperatly needed one and paying either full price or more than they would be discounted.  I also did not really understand the full benifit of purchasing the pro bundles for a while or that the morphs included in a pro bundle might be needed later to make a character I see go on the market work.  So I spent way too much, through my own ignorance.  I often got annoyed at the g3 models because I prefered many of the g2 faces but I wanted the clothing went with g3.  Trying to move clothing backwards to g2 was not as simple as I would expect and something that I feel should be included with daz.  I personally feel that the people that are making the add ons like Sickleyield should be on staff and that all that stuff should come with daz.  When g8 came out I vowed to purchase every single pro bundle and I've done that, except dogs.  I know I will regret that later but I just could not afford it at the time.  This helped me fill in the gaps of the missed older pro bundles too, which made me much happier with my purchases.  I even bought a few that I did not like because of my experience in the past with models that need a specific pro bundle morph.  But I'm looking at what has been spent in the last year alone and I could have bought the pro iclone twice for that amount.  Plus I need a new graphic card.  My roi is not there, at all.  Although I guess you could say that every penny I have invested is an investment in my 3d education.  I've started wishing that Daz had a payment plan and charged for the program out right but came with all the great morphs for each generation included in that plan.  Since I know that would be unpopular with a lot of people I've even thought maybe there could be a  an stellar member, which would include all the morphs and etc with each new generation plus heavily discounted access to morphs made my independant vendors.  The rest of the people that prefer free could stick with paying like they always have and using the 'free' version.

Right now I'm pretty happy with what I have.  Despite owning more stuff than I can probably ever render, uncluding a ton of clothing for g3 and 8, I find I gravitate to the v4 clothing, which is weird because it's often a pain to work with and clothing poses do not usually transfer over properly.  But once retextured it has some qualities that I am not seeing in the new stuff.  I would like to see more creative and detailed morphs for ears and noses.  Not just general shapes but really detailed realistic things. 

So, will I buy g9.  Probably, but only the basics.  Unless, of course, it has some pretty drastic improvments to animation or movement.  Like I said roi.  As a hobby, it's too expensive to keep sinking my dough into. 

Well seeing as how you have to choose what generation an item was built for using autofit I don't see why autofit couldn't be slightly modified to work ab abbriviated version of how the dForce animation process works, that is the G8 figure to get the G3 (or prior compatible generationsclothing (or hair or ...) no matter the pose it is in, is put in a t-pose, clothing fitted, put back in the original pose, clothing re-fitted. 

Clothing and hair and such has compatibility settings too so I'm at a loss why autofit even needs to ask what generation clothing was desihned for - it should detect that from the clothing itself and then prompt the user is what it detected in the clothing for original compatibility actually correct.

Agree.  And if they are going to ask then the products should always have that listed in the name.  Every single one of them, even the ancient stuff.

• If you don't like the Daz genitalia for the boys, then you probably don't have many Male-M3dia morphs. Just look at the descriptions for the HD genitalia morphs. I think the current crop of Daz genitalia are excellent. (I'd include renders, but then I'd probably have to take a forum vacation soon after that.)

Big George also has his own unique "little George" morph.

There are things about the Genesis 3/8 male prop that aren't as great, but if you like cut anatomical elements, then they are the best that Daz has ever made. I think it's a Golden Age for male 3d models, in my opinion, even if others constantly get depressed over the "lack" of clothing. (CLOTHES? WHO RENDERS FIGURES WITH CLOTHES?! THIS IS MADNESS!!!)

Yeah, I do wish Jepe did more in the Genesis 3/8 space, but you can't have everything.

It'll take time for Genesis 9 to be at the level of what Genesis 3/8 can do for me now, but I'll buy into it anyway.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Yeah I own them,and everything by male-m3dia is masterful.

I'd like some improvements though. Genesis 3 male and 8 male have the same gens. Something new for Gen 9 would be nice.

Of course I am sitting here saying I’m tired of buying and the hair shaders went up today and I’m like “omg I have to have that!”  I don’t think that is ever going to stop for me.  

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134

I started actually using Studio fairly late in G3's cycle, but by now I have a good collection of things from genesis/v4 all the way through g8.  While I mostly use g8 models these days, it's not unusual at all for me to have characters from all generations in my scene, with clothing generations mixed all over the place.  I'm working on one right now that has a Genesis character, a g3 with a g8 dress (with dforce applied) and a g2 hair, and another g3 with g8 clothing.  I use whatever catches my eye at the time I'm putting the scene together.  But I've also purchased the extra utilities to make autofit work well moving stuff from generation to generation.  And when g9 comes out, I'll get the morphs for them when they release (release date will be the cheapest they'll be for quite some time) as well as the autofit utilities to add G9 into my workflow

• mr clammr clam Posts: 707

I'd have less of a problem with the 2 year cycle if the Pro Bundles included morphs/expressions and the HD add-on. If they need to dump the elf clothes to make this happen, so be it!

• DaikatanaDaikatana Posts: 828

mr clam said:

I'd have less of a problem with the 2 year cycle if the Pro Bundles included morphs/expressions and the HD add-on. If they need to dump the elf clothes to make this happen, so be it!

This is not a bad idea but I would add to this list the auto fits/clones needed to make the new figure work with the “elf clothes” and hair etc that we already have

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,579

...yeah, or at least for each new Genesis iteration, bundle the head body and expression morphs together at a discount as you really need all three (well, at least the body and head morphs) to make the other characters/figures useful.  This is part of what stops me from updating as for both a new male and female Genesis together, it's nearly a total of 80$ (or 56$ if PC+) for the complete head and body morphs.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited July 2018

They're actually going to skip Genesis 9 and go to G10 like Microsoft did with Windows.

Yes, Victoria 9 will be based on G10.

I've been working with G10 for some time, I'll post a preview, though I really shouldn't.

Everything is built on subdivision and G10 has even fewer polygons.

(Edited to remove texture)

G10.jpg
    512 x 512 - 33K
    Post edited by prixat on