Genesis 9 delayed until at least 2020. Will you be buying it?

Comments

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733
    edited November 2018
    namffuak said:
    Taoz said:
    nicstt said:
    Taoz said:
    nicstt said:

Please, please: NO Studio 5!

So you want them to stop when they hit version 4.99.9.999?

well im sure they can fit some more 9s in there somewhere 4.999999 etc

Some folks seem to think that 5 offers some sort of Nirvana, without posting specifics; I mean something that 5 could do, but 4 is incapable of.

I'm sure there is some features that require it, but how badly we (and in this case I) would want to break all the plugins etc that a recompillation would likely break... Who knows?

Well technically they can just to continue calling it version 4, but that doesn't prevent them from continuing development as usual. So what you're really are asking for is for them to stop normal development progress.

As for breaking plugins I'd say they ideally should be obliged to either fix or refund any commercial plugins purchased here that they break, because DS upgrades are more or less enforced upon you, and AFAIR they do have at least in some cases. And I can't see why a major upgrade should be an excuse for not continuing doing that.

About all we know for sure about DAZ Studio 5.x is that it will be built around the 5.<something> version of the QT toolkit (which provides all the UI interface code). This will by definition break all compiled plugins. DAZ can re-compile the plugins they have source code for - but any others will need to be re-compiled by the creator(s) unless they sell the code to DAZ. In some cases, the effort to upgrade the plugin isn't worth the effort; in other cases, the plugin creator is no longer with us, and the source isn't available.

Those who have purchased the plugins will probably think it's worth the effort, where it's possible. wink At least they could offer an upgrade for a reasonable price, for the most popular ones.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,733

Eventually Daz will need to move to a version 5 built on new software. There are a lot of reasons. While DS is 64 bit, its inability to use multiple threads is a growing problem. Some people cannot even open certain props without a crash. This is only going to continue as products get more ambitious and larger. There are plenty of other improvements that need to be made, of which require a new build and cannot just be bolted on to the existing version.

My hope is that when Daz finally does release DS5, that they will maintain DS4 so users can run which ever version they want, much like they can with the DS Beta. This way you can still use your favorite plugins in DS4 while also enjoying the benefits that DS5 brings. I also hope a lot of favorite plugins are built into DS5. Why something like Measure Metrics is not included with DS is beyond me. This would make the transition a bit less painful.

I'm not sure how much or little of that is tied to a DS5 - single-threaded/multi-threaded is heavily dependent on the type of operation, not just the age of the application, for example and I'm not sure that DS 4 is unable to handle multiple threads.

Which kind of threads are we talking about? DS uses all 4 cores/threads on my CPU if I allow it.

• Taoz said:

Eventually Daz will need to move to a version 5 built on new software. There are a lot of reasons. While DS is 64 bit, its inability to use multiple threads is a growing problem. Some people cannot even open certain props without a crash. This is only going to continue as products get more ambitious and larger. There are plenty of other improvements that need to be made, of which require a new build and cannot just be bolted on to the existing version.

My hope is that when Daz finally does release DS5, that they will maintain DS4 so users can run which ever version they want, much like they can with the DS Beta. This way you can still use your favorite plugins in DS4 while also enjoying the benefits that DS5 brings. I also hope a lot of favorite plugins are built into DS5. Why something like Measure Metrics is not included with DS is beyond me. This would make the transition a bit less painful.

I'm not sure how much or little of that is tied to a DS5 - single-threaded/multi-threaded is heavily dependent on the type of operation, not just the age of the application, for example and I'm not sure that DS 4 is unable to handle multiple threads.

Which kind of threads are we talking about? DS uses all 4 cores/threads on my CPU if I allow it.

Some operations are multi-threaded, some aren't (whether they could be I don't know).

• If g9 is backward compatible, I'll use it. But, I'm definitely not interested in rebuying every morph package and utility. I spend more time shopping than rendering as it is.
  • JOdel said:

It would be nice if, once it is avaialable, DS 5 would *not* erase DS4 when installed. One might not be able to run both of them at the same time, but it would be useful if one could run them on the same machine. Stepping back to an eariler version to run utilities which the newer version has broken is a viable option, if the result can be saved as a scene that can be opened by the new version.

Agree with this.  Though I have not experienced it I can see the benifit.

• Lots of interesting thoughts here.  I apologize for starting this thread and then not looking at it for so long.  I started physical therapy and it has been kicking my butt in oh so many ways.  This is the first I've messed with DAZ or the forums in a couple of months at least.  As we head into the new year I've been thinking about genesis 9 a lot.  I'm so happy with genesis 8 that I'm not sure what I will do with genesis 9.  I love the characters I've designed and moving them to a newer figure probably won't even be possible at first.  Newer better clothing in the fantasy genre will always be a draw for me.  Scenes I do not use too much.  After I've used dof on them they seem kind of unimportant for my use.  Which is sad because I have some really great scenes.  So will I use genesis 9? No doubt.  Will I buy a lot of the pro bundles?  That remains to be seen. 

• We will need a tool, that transfers your G8 character to G9. To me this is important. I need to have a G9 Roxy ;-)

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    freni-kyn said:
    JOdel said:

It would be nice if, once it is avaialable, DS 5 would *not* erase DS4 when installed. One might not be able to run both of them at the same time, but it would be useful if one could run them on the same machine. Stepping back to an eariler version to run utilities which the newer version has broken is a viable option, if the result can be saved as a scene that can be opened by the new version.

Agree with this.  Though I have not experienced it I can see the benifit.

I THINK that will not happen.  It was mentioned earlier, I think by Richard H, that folks have older versions of DAZ Studio running along side the current version.  So some are running 3.X along side 4.X so when 5 hits then 4.X should be safe.... I hope!  

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Taoz said:

Some operations are multi-threaded, some aren't (whether they could be I don't know).

Threading takes some coding effort, but can be a useless venture for processes that don't need or benefit from it.

At work we'd threaded an import from user supplied spreadsheets (don't ask); however, one of the tasks couldn't be threaded as it needed values before the import could be done, and so had to process each line sequentially. I'm being vague, sorry bout that.

• I will experiment with the basic (free) G9, but I doubt I'll put money down unless G9 is several orders of magnitude better than G3/G8. I'm currently down to 56 items in my wishlist, and most of those items are 'New' so I'm waiting for better discounts. With over half a Tb of Daz runtime, I have enough to render almost any kind of scene I can envision, and I doubt I'll use everything in my life time.

That said, there are new artists finding Daz3D and Studio every day, so G9/G10/etc is for them.

I completely agree with this.

• ScarletX1969ScarletX1969 Posts: 587
    edited November 2018

I think for most of us (but I can only speak for myself and I've been buying 3D content for almost 15 years), unless there is something INCREDIBLY significant about G9+, I'm done after the G8 series.  Over the years, if I don't have everything I need to do any type of image I can think of, I seriously need to start modeling on my own.  I'm mostly staying with G3 and G8 but have enough utilities where I can uses everything from Generation 3 to Genesis 8, so I'm good.

I will continue to get Daz Studio, Hexagon, and Carrara (if they ever do anything with it), but after G8, I may even downgrade my PC account.

As dragonfly_2004 stated, though, with new artists discovering DAZ everyday, the latest stuff is mostly for them.

Post edited by ScarletX1969 on
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,254

A lot is going to depend on how well you can use older content with G9. If older stuff "just works", it's going to be a relatively easy transition. Any G9 character that appeals to the user is likely to be purchased and used along side older figures.

But if anything breaks, people are going to hear about it here in the forums and that's going to slow adoption.

Now, something that I'm wondering about is; if G9 uses same the facial rig from G8, does that mean that we can use G8 expressions on G9? That would be very useful indeed. I don't think we've ever been able to use expressions from an older figure on a newer one. Poses sometime. But never expressions.

• If I can transfer g8m to g9m then yes... If not then no.. I have too much invested in G8Males...  I seriously doubt there will be enough improvements to justify the expense... I may be wrong so time will tell

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082

Rumor - neighborhood lore says that there will NOT be a genesis 9.  Instead, Daz will release a brand new, amazing, industry-disrupting, cutting edge mesh and rigging  Make way for "Alpha 1," a new beginning.  Introduction of Alpha 1 will coincide with the release of Peak Studio 1.0,  There will be no free Daz Studio 5.  You will need Peak Studio 1.0 to fully use all of the features of Alpha 1 male and female; however, you can still use the Alpha-lite figure in Daz Studio.  You just won't be able to take full advantage of the better morphing, better HD, better bendng, better DForce, new dynamic hair, and hyper-real renderer introduced in Peak Studio 1.0.  Naturally, all of those plugins for Daz Studio fail to work in Peak Studio 1.0.

That is what the rumor in my neighborhood says.

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,861

Rumor - neighborhood lore says that there will NOT be a genesis 9.  Instead, Daz will release a brand new, amazing, industry-disrupting, cutting edge mesh and rigging  Make way for "Alpha 1," a new beginning.  Introduction of Alpha 1 will coincide with the release of Peak Studio 1.0,  There will be no free Daz Studio 5.  You will need Peak Studio 1.0 to fully use all of the features of Alpha 1 male and female; however, you can still use the Alpha-lite figure in Daz Studio.  You just won't be able to take full advantage of the better morphing, better HD, better bendng, better DForce, new dynamic hair, and hyper-real renderer introduced in Peak Studio 1.0.  Naturally, all of those plugins for Daz Studio fail to work in Peak Studio 1.0.

I'd really like to see that neighborhood. Sounds like a fantastic place laugh

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,579

...so will it require getting one of these to run it on?

• I have not yet moved from genesis 3 to genesis 8, and you already speak about genesis 9

• Obviously no one is going to buy it because it free !!!

Sorry I couldn't help myself Lol wink

...yes

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952

I'd like a cat before there's time for G9.

And most of all, I want so much better support for the male character. More clothes, hairs, characters et cetera. With the arrival of G8 the male content has dwindled to almost nothing. Especially between character releases. I keep on putting V8 clothes and even M4 clothes on the M8's and sometimes it's a demanding process.

• FlortaleFlortale Posts: 611

IMO Genesis 8 was not as sexy & attractive as Genesis 3, that was a huge let down.

• kyoto kid said:

...I had my doubts about Genesis "Classic", then grew to love it

...I had my doubts about Genesis 2, then grew to love it

...I had my doubts about Genesis 3, then grew to love it

...I still have my doubts about Genesis 8, as I'm too broke to find out if I'd love it.

...Genesis 9, not even worried about it.

Pretty much where I am. Plus my learning curve with the hobby is...nothing to brag about

• Hopefully not any time soon. I don't see any need for a G9 series since even the older G3 characters can be made to look real enough. If it is in the works, we probably won't see it until well after DS 4.11 is released.

edited December 2018

...on G3 characters looking real, agreed.

Showtime.jpg
    636 x 900 - 321K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on

...yeah:

Hera said:

And most of all, I want so much better support for the male character. More clothes, hairs, characters et cetera. With the arrival of G8 the male content has dwindled to almost nothing. Especially between character releases. I keep on putting V8 clothes and even M4 clothes on the M8's and sometimes it's a demanding process.

...I'm with you there.  We need acat that bends like... a cat

...and real fur options.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    kyoto kid said:

...yeah:

Hera said:

...and real fur options.

THIS.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    kyoto kid said:

...yeah:

Hera said:

...and real fur options.

Apply dforce to the cat model and you pretty much have it. :)

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 551

My thing is - let's keep the 2 year cycle going. For those of you who don't want it yet, don't get it. Simple enough. The rest of us that are interested will. You can't lose by it being an option for others. The other way around leaves someone without the option. And no, Genesis 3 nor 8 look "real" (or real enough, in my eyes). There can always be adjustments/fixes/improvements and sometimes, a new figure is necessary to move up. As far as cloth, hair, physics, skin, etc, etc.... we are no where near real.

So, I say bring on Genesis 9 in 2019. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Yeah, whether G9 comes in June or not is all the same to me. I've only bought the G8 things I want, I didn't have to have any of it but characters like Ollie & Edie where easy desicions. The only disappointment has been no Guy 8 Pro Bundle that matches how great the Girl 8 Pro Bundle is. It's just that after 2 Genesis full cycles and the PC+ club and the continued improvement of Blender and game engine editors it shouldn't be a surprise that Genesis & DAZ Studio is in need of a competitive and fast dynamic physics to stay competitive or maybe a seemless pipeline between DAZ Studio and each of Blender, Unity, & UE4 more realistically. It's still, along with the Unity and UE4 Asset Stores, the best deal of 3D model assets (TurboSquid is not really competitive price & qualitywise).

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited December 2018

I'm sure the OP meant Vicky, Mike and friends rather than G9 (if it follows previous Genesis figures, will be free).

My answer is, we'll have to wait and see. If I like what I see I'll buy most likely. I've thought it over. ;)

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on