Transferring Morphs from Genesis to G2M/G2F and from G2M/G2F to Genesis (Now with Clones!)

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    Kattey said:
    G2F Clone for G3F is not precisely done by DAZ3D, so if you transfer morphs the more drastic morph you transfer, the bigger the distortion.

I've also found that the applied G2F clone for G3F, doesn't match a original G2F and that's the reason morphs produce pronounced distortions and props and cloths a little off, for example: the G3F "wingspan" is bigger than G2F's, the head has more depth,etc.

I was in need of a "real" clone in order to convert skins from G2F to G3F by mapping coordinates, but right now is like wanting to map coordinates from a circle to a cube.

How do you use a clone to convert a skin?

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

I’ve also found that the applied G2F clone for G3F, doesn’t match a original G2F and that’s the reason morphs produce pronounced distortions and props and cloths a little off, for example: the G3F “wingspan” is bigger than G2F’s, the head has more depth,etc.

This is what I am talking about – G2F clone in G3F isn't precise. Either it was an inexperience or a negligence.
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    Kattey said:
    G2F Clone for G3F is not precisely done by DAZ3D, so if you transfer morphs the more drastic morph you transfer, the bigger the distortion.

I've also found that the applied G2F clone for G3F, doesn't match a original G2F and that's the reason morphs produce pronounced distortions and props and cloths a little off, for example: the G3F "wingspan" is bigger than G2F's, the head has more depth,etc.

I was in need of a "real" clone in order to convert skins from G2F to G3F by mapping coordinates, but right now is like wanting to map coordinates from a circle to a cube.

You just apply the clone shape to the G3F, after this the vértices change position. Every vertex in a surface(polygon/mesh) is assigned a texture coordinate (UV Mapping), the idea is for every vertex in your G2F, extract the mapped coordinate, then with that coordinates extract the "pixels" from the texture image and then seek the nearest vertext in G3F, again, map the target coordinate and replace the pixels at the target texture image.

That's the reason I need a G3F clone as similar as posible to G2F.

You can do all these steps with a script inside Studio, or by building a plugin. Actually it is not that difficult.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

Watch what you are doing with "Adjust rig to shape" with G3F, it has a bad habit of messing with the face rig and rotating the eye bones, you will have to manually check and fix the bones before you use ERC freeze.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    Kattey said:

Clones are used to convert clothes, they are no use for skins. In theory someone writing a program to translate one skin to another could make use of a clone (alone with both UV sets), but nothing like that exists now for G2F->G3F

edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    jag11 said:
    Kattey said:

You just apply the clone shape to the G3F, after this the vértices change position. Every vertex in a surface(polygon/mesh) is assigned a texture coordinate (UV Mapping), the idea is for every vertex in your G2F, extract the mapped coordinate, then with that coordinates extract the "pixels" from the texture image and then seek the nearest vertext in G3F, again, map the target coordinate and replace the pixels at the target texture image.

You can do all these steps with a script inside Studio, or by building a plugin. Actually it is not that difficult.

If you succeed please let us know, as this does not strike me as being an easy task.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Watch what you are doing with "Adjust rig to shape" with G3F, it has a bad habit of messing with the face rig and rotating the eye bones, you will have to manually check and fix the bones before you use ERC freeze.

I found that is only happening with scaled shapes. My Fuzzy shape is very short and BAM reversed the Squint Inner reversed and was quite large. Luckily I have some experience so was able to get it fixed but boy... it was kind weird to see that when none of the other shape (Bruno and others I created) were fine...

edited December 1969

Havos said:
    jag11 said:
    jag11 said:
    Kattey said:

If you succeed please let us know, as this does not strike me as being an easy task.
    First I need a decent clone as badly as a chicken is needed to make nuggets. %-P

edited December 1969

Havos said:
    jag11 said:
    jag11 said:
    Kattey said:

Well I have my doubts that this would work and I have my reasons ... but thank you for answering my question.

One of the issues .... tippy toeing .... um ... the tummy area. In Hexagon it appears to have some overlapping faces.
    You know "that shimmer" indicating an overlap.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

jag11 said:

First I need a decent clone as badly as a chicken is needed to make nuggets. %-P

So...not at all? :)

edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    ... edit ... the idea is for every vertex in your G2F, extract the mapped coordinate, then with that coordinates extract the "pixels" from the texture image and then seek the nearest vertext in G3F, again, map the target coordinate and replace the pixels at the target texture image.
    .... edit ...

With a script inside D/S4.8? Where is this script found in there, ty. Both for extracting vertex from G2F and the pixels from the image, etc.
    A nice picture walk though would be really kool too.

I have a beta on one computer and the first full release of 4.8.whatever on this laptop. I did find a way to extract a bunch of bones ... whatever that might be good for?? but not vertex. Is it called something else?

edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:

Yes it would given the difference in bones there. Thanks for the HU.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    ... edit ... the idea is for every vertex in your G2F, extract the mapped coordinate, then with that coordinates extract the "pixels" from the texture image and then seek the nearest vertext in G3F, again, map the target coordinate and replace the pixels at the target texture image.
    .... edit ...

With a script inside D/S4.8? Where is this script found in there, ty. Both for extracting vertex from G2F and the pixels from the image, etc.

I have a beta on one computer and the first full release of 4.8.whatever on this laptop. I did find a way to extract a bunch of bones ... whatever that might be good for?? but not vertex. Is it called something else?

No script...it's not written yet.

• NadinoNadino Posts: 258
    edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    jag11 said:
    Kattey said:

Actually, a G3F clone for G2F (created by following the tutorial in this thread)
    does fine for converting skin textures in Blender via the "Selected to Active" feature in the bake tab.

I only converted 3 maps from G2F though (Torso, Head, Limbs)
    to G3F maps of (Head, Torso, Legs, Arms)

Eyes and Mouth parts didn't do so well - I'm assuming I'd have to export those separately to get a better bake.

The process is a little tedious and long - so not really recommended for converting ALL skins.
    Just maybe ones you cannot live without lol :)

I'll get my notes organized and post the process shortly, if anyone is interested to read. ;)

edited December 1969

Nadino said:
    jag11 said:
    jag11 said:
    Kattey said:

Actually, a G3F clone for G2F (created by following the tutorial in this thread)
    does fine for converting skin textures in Blender via the "Selected to Active" feature in the bake tab.

I only converted 3 maps from G2F though (Torso, Head, Limbs)
    to G3F maps of (Head, Torso, Legs, Arms)

Eyes and Mouth parts didn't do so well - I'm assuming I'd have to export those separately to get a better bake.

The process is a little tedious and long - so not really recommended for converting ALL skins.
    Just maybe ones you cannot live without lol :)

I'll get my notes organized and post the process shortly, if anyone is interested to read. ;)

Yes I think many would be interested, possibly with some clear "where is the button" in Blender infor for those of us [i.e. me] who are Blender impaired, ty.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    jag11 said:
    .... edit ...

Okay, that explains why I couldn't find it lol ... ty.

edited December 1969

Nadino and jag11 – I'm extremely interesting to know how to convert textures if anybody can offer a tutorial.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    jag11 said:
    .... edit ...

Don't be scared to read the links below, you don't have to be a scientist to understand this.
    This script shows how to extract geometry info for a 3d object.
    This link is a tutorial on how to write a 3d render like (3DL, Iray, etc), part 6 is the climax part, where it explains how the relation into vertex coordinates and texture coordinates (UV Mapping).
    As for tutorial for accessing pixels from a bitmap from inside studio there's a script by mcasual called mcjElevate where he does that.
    Ok, gotta go.

• MariaTortilliaMariaTortillia Posts: 47
    edited July 2015

I just done this process Transfer all genesis 1 morphs (basically all morphs from genesis 1 shaping tab) to Genesis 2
    ( http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/356991/ )
    but appled it to My much modified and morph added Genesis 2 figure transferring them to Genesis 3 and all seems fine so far, .
    Im so pleased :-), all my 100s of useful shaping morphs from genesis and genesis2 now working pretty well so far with genesis 3 .
    Thanks to ben98120000 :-)
    and Iray well Just love it, thanks Daz :-)

maria02.jpg
    1333 x 2000 - 512K
    Post edited by MariaTortillia on
    edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    mjc1016 said:
    jag11 said:
    .... edit ...

Don't be scared to read the links below, you don't have to be a scientist to understand this.
    This link is a tutorial on how to write a 3d render like (3DL, Iray, etc), part 6 is the climax part, where it explains how the relation into vertex coordinates and texture coordinates (UV Mapping).
    As for tutorial for accessing pixels from a bitmap from inside studio there's a script by mcasual called mcjElevate where he does that.
    Ok, gotta go.

You can extract the geometry of a daz studio object just by exporting it as obj, no script is needed, an obj file is just text.

I know obj format reasonably well, ie about vertices, material vertices, polygons etc. I also know about UV maps (which are basically just the material vertices part of the obj file)

What I do not know how to do is to use the obj of the source figure and the obj of the destination figure, to automatically create a UV set that allows the maps of the source figure to be used with the destination figure. If you can point to me to a script/utility/tutorial to do that, then I would be interested.

edited December 1969

jag11 said:
    ... edit ...

Ok, gotta go.

ty I'll give it a look over.

I've recently uploaded a tutorial of sorts not for converting textures per sa, but to remake G3's uvmap to make a "derivative" new one that just happens to be over the spaces occupied by V4's uvmap. So far it is working, just slow going of course.
    n.b. and yes we all know that we cannot redistribute said new derivative set but for one's own collection it would even enable some mixing 'n matching between the sets, i.e. skin of one and nails of another type thing.
    I have put a query into CS ... we'll see what happens.
    In the meantime, something to do on rainy days ;-)
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/57640/P15/#853225

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785

Glad I was able to find this thread again.  Hopefully the first post links get reactivated....

• Links not working for me! Anyone else?

dbb

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited July 2015

Hm i don't see a Possible Solution for the Link Listing.

The Postings has no URL to Jump to...

Edit: Ok, found the Link :) The Time is the Link to the Posting.

Post edited by Twilight76 on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

I found how to fix the URL's but honestly it's easier to just go to the post number referenced when possible. The old format that no longer works is on top, the new format is below.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/356145/
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/356145/#Comment_356145

• Twilight76Twilight76 Posts: 318
    edited July 2015

Here a few of the Links :)

Post 7: Unlocking Original Genesis mesh
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/356145/#Comment_356145

Post 8: transfer of any morphs and how to make bone adjustments and ERC Freeze in G2F
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/356225/#Comment_356225

Post 35: making of simple G2F autofit clone for Genesis
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/357032/#Comment_357032

Post 55: reverse-fitting MallenLane's V4 autofit to Genesis to get some better shoes and other things.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/358129/#Comment_358129

Post 376: Note about DS Property Editor changes in DS 4.6.1.17 and up
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/466631/#Comment_466631

Post 391: Make your own simple G2M clone for Genesis.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/484407/#Comment_484407

Post 392: How to make G2M morph for Genesis.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/484466/#Comment_484466

Post 397: Make your own simple V4 clone for G2M
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/484726/#Comment_484726

Post 403: How To Transfer Morphs From G2F To G2M The Very Easy Way
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/484862/#Comment_484862

Post 629: Resummed version of morph transfer tutorial for G2F->G3F transfer
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/853130/#Comment_853130

Post edited by Twilight76 on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511

thanks for all those links. maybe Kattey will be able to update the original post one day.

I'll fix the first post as soon as possible, probably today evening or tomorrow morning. Big thanks to Twilight76 for finding all those links

I've tried to edit links in the first post, but the forum gave me an error 'Validate format' and refused to save the post, even if preview works just fine. 

Kattey said:

I've tried to edit links in the first post, but the forum gave me an error 'Validate format' and refused to save the post, even if preview works just fine. 

I had the same problem for the Star Trek Forum's first post ... I can only think that in the transfer process that first post gets "locked". But one can take all the information and set it up in a new post.