Transferring Morphs from Genesis to G2M/G2F and from G2M/G2F to Genesis (Now with Clones!)

Comments

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

Havos said:
    Kattey said:
    But I thought the Legacy products was made possible by a different way…. Hmm
    There is a different way but this different way requires you to scale, rotate and use DFormers to fit Genesis (G2X, G3F) shape to require Mil3 shape to make a clone, and morph might be not possible at all. Alternative way would be to use ZBrush mesh projection function functions. IIRC, I've always used Mil3 Iconic shapes to start a clone/morph chain for Genesis/G2X. I've used ZBrush for Matt/Madie/Laura/Luke because there were no clones done for them.

Again, IIRC Genesis has V4 clone already by default, so you don't need anything else in that case.

If you have GenX and the Gen 3 kids option, it is actually very easy to get Matt/Maddie/Laura/Luke morphs, and thus clones into Genesis or Genesis 2, that is what I did, but obviously this is not a free solution.

Alternatively you can transfer Luke and Laura through of D3 and SP3, which have Iconic Shapes.

To convert from Morph to clone I use the Property Hierarchy Tab (you can jump to this in Edit mode by right clicking on the morph and selecting “Show in Property Hierarchy”). From here you select “Parameter Settings” of the morph and change it to a clone. I doubt that is related to CMS, but I may be wrong. What will not happen is the morph moving out of “Morph Loader Pro” into “Hidden/Clones” which is what your steps will do. I do not know how to do that other than the “brute force way”, ie edit the dsf file.
    When I do that in Parameter Settings I my only options are None and Modifier/Shape which it has by default. From what I understand there should be Modifier/Clone option but I don't have it.

Actually, to move any morph to Hidden/Clone is much easier. In Parameter Settings for a morph/future clone the third line from top is called Path. In drop down menu you can select Hidden/Clones or any other group you wish. After that just resave the morph and there is no need to manually edit that part. Or, when you use Morph Loader, just set it to Hidden/Clones there.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,314
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:

Actually, to move any morph to Hidden/Clone is much easier. In Parameter Settings for a morph/future clone the third line from top is called Path. In drop down menu you can select Hidden/Clones or any other group you wish. After that just resave the morph and there is no need to manually edit that part. Or, when you use Morph Loader, just set it to Hidden/Clones there.

Oh yes, that was easier than I thought. I do however use the shapes for morphing rather than just for clones, so I am not sure that Hidden/Clones is the best place to put them.

• NadinoNadino Posts: 258
    edited December 1969

I'm trying to go back in the thread and see about fixing the weird eye deformations.

edited December 1969

Havos said:
    Kattey said:

Oh yes, that was easier than I thought. I do however use the shapes for morphing rather than just for clones, so I am not sure that Hidden/Clones is the best place to put them.
    No, Hidden/Clones is only a good place for clones, not morphs.

edited June 2015

The last but not least M4 clone (M4->Genesis->G2F->G3F). Armpits, gloves and collar area seems to be out of scale and I have a feeling it might be because default M4 had some scaling up and I used that shape for clone, instead of proper 100% one and zeroed. I'll try to redo it tomorrow and see if it helps.
    Otherwise everything is ok, with usual autofit capabilities. The breast areas on M4 clothes will be quite noticeable deformed, though, especially with patterned textures.
    M4 Alchemist and Scorpion God (with G2F Fayre top)

G3F_M4_Test_02.jpg
    643 x 862 - 80K
    G3F_M4_Test_01.jpg
    581 x 879 - 68K
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited June 2015

Took me awhile to realize that "under Morphs" did not mean under Morphs but rather the options available on right panel lol ...
    THEN things worked better ;-)

Successfully made a G3 auto-fit clone for G2 and then converted the free top for G3 to G2 :-) [it's the one free with purchase or free for PC members this week].

And yes, at least from inside 4.6 one can change the pathway without using a text editor of any kind.

003.png
    1154 x 822 - 138K
    002.png
    742 x 859 - 87K
    001.png
    840 x 873 - 92K
    Thank_You.png
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by patience55 on
    edited June 2015

I can now confirm that when I see Content Type in Set->Presentation, I have nothing to select – my only option is 'None'. Guess CMS does influence things like that.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    I can now confirm that when I see Content Type in Set->Presentation, I have nothing to select – my only option is 'None'. Guess CMS does influence things like that.

Yes, that's a property which only exists in the CMS database.

edited December 1969

Sounds like it. The PostgreSQL CMS can be downloaded manually from the Product Library and installed IF you're running the latest edition of D/S. [I have no idea if it installs/works correctly for editions past their best by dates].

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Sounds like it. The PostgreSQL CMS can be downloaded manually from the Product Library and installed IF you're running the latest edition of D/S. [I have no idea if it installs/works correctly for editions past their best by dates].

I'm pretty sure it works back to 4.6

edited December 1969

Nah, I'll continue to manually edit files :) It took me some effort to get rid of CMS, I have no desire to put it back.

But for those who have CMS those screenshots will be very useful, thank you for uploading them, Patience55.

edited June 2015

As for M4 Clone troubles above, they are fixed as I redid the clone all way from Genesis. Probably something got distorted a bit in previous attempt.

Wanted Dead or Alive outfit in G3F. I had to smooth crouch area in pants and also, slightly, coat lapels/chest/lowerfront areas in Zbrush, but I think those problems are not new to autofit and not related to G3F in particular.

G3F_M4_Test_03.jpg
    755 x 875 - 62K
    Post edited by Kattey on
    edited December 1969

I understand ... however for making clothing which I like doing too, rather have a need for it lol ...

And yes, auto-fit cannot always do a perfect job ... as with clothing for any figure, a few additional fitting or movement morphs come in handy.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

That's awesome Slosh, are you just doing the 6's for Genesis 3?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    but I think those problems are not new to autofit and not related to G3F in particular.

Nope...not new and not G3F specific.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148
    edited December 1969

Have to say my Bruno morphs look most excellent on this framework here.

This is just the first that I got boned and ERC'd.... Bruno Bear. Took one of the poses and made a bit more masculine! lol Even my nice hand morphs to make them look more masculine came over just fine. That's Bruno's face shape 01 too. I'm pleased.... Bruno lives on! lol

BrunoBear.jpg
    979 x 914 - 64K
    edited December 1969

Glad it worked for you, RAMWolff.

edited June 2015

I am noticing some interesting issues with the fingers. I had to redo them here and there for the morph as the Bruno Bear making a fist was not at all what I expected. LOL

HandFixes.jpg
    1233 x 644 - 129K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

What exactly was a problem? Pose or deformation?

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    What exactly was a problem? Pose or deformation?

Sorry, been busy with the other shapes... The pose, the default "Fist" operation causes the fingers to look kinda weird in how they lay next to each other and the thumb just completely went inside the fist which you can do but it's not how most folks make a fist so just did my thing in the Joint Editor in the Orientation area and got it all looking just fine! :-) Did another quickie Adjust Rigging to Shape and ERC Freeze and was all good. Since the hand shapes are ones I made to make Victoria 3's hands more masculine it's not surprising that perhaps my shaping abilities a couple of years ago were not as good as I am today.... but dem bones can be moved so worked out... .;-)~

edited December 1969

Ah, ok, glad that you've found the solution.
    Do you still want me to see if I replicate it from my side just in case?

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    Ah, ok, glad that you've found the solution.
    Do you still want me to see if I replicate it from my side just in case?

I'm sure it will pop up. I also had a D.ID from my Chameleon Boy morph which I've fixed now.. that's part of the Fantasy category. I'm just off of Fb answering posts so now I can buckle down and get some more of these done..... I hope.. lol

edited December 1969

Is this what I would follow follow to transfer the iconic shape clones from Genesis, I've been unsuccessfully in trying to make clones, I've been fixing and freezing the bones on the clone so maybe that's where my problems are forming too

Kattey said:
    Hello! Couldn’t anyone here explain me how to make an autofit clone of Genesis 3 Female (G3F) for Genesis 2 Female?

The method works on retro clones as well, only you need to conform G2F obj shell to G3F figure.
    The way I'd do it would be following.

1. Make sure that Shown Hidden Properties option in Parameters is checked.
    2. Load fresh G2F and zero it. Set Resolution level to Base and Subdivision Level to zero.
    3. Export it as obj, File -> Export. I usually use Hexagon scale, 100%, with everything (except Ignore Invisible Nodes) unchecked.
    The scale could be any, but it should be consistent for Export and Import (100% inches, or mm, or cm, etc)
    Name the file something like G2F Base LR.obj

4. Clear up the scene and load G3F, zero it.
    5. Find in Hidden/Clones the clone of G2F and dial it 100%
    6. Import the G2F Base LR.obj into scene, it should pretty much overlap with morphed G3F figure.

7. Open Transfer Utility, use G3F base figure as a source, and G2F Base LR.obj as a target.
    Under Source options use Item Shape _current_, it is important.
    Also, in Transfer Utility, press Show Option. Leave Weight Maps, Selection Maps, Face Groups, Region Groups as they are. I usually uncheck everything under Morphs. Leave Surface Groups and Replace Source with Target unchecked.

Important thing is to check Reverse Source Shape from the target option.

Fit new conforming G2F to G3F like clothes. Don’t add any smoothing modifiers or Sub-D.

8. In G3F dial clone shape back to 0% so it is in default shape (zero command won't work on clones). G2F conformer should automatically follow it and assume G3F default shape as well; inner mouth region is often giving troubles in transfer, please be aware of that.

9. Make G3F figure invisible. Export the G2F morphed figure as obj, for example, G2F G3F Clone.obj – pay attention that your export scale and options are the same as import ones.(on Export, ignore invisible nodes must be checked)

Do not save anything except that obj.

10. Clean the scene, load new G2F figure, zero it.
    11. Start Morph Loader Pro, and chose your G2F G3F Clone.obj as a Morph File.
    set Reverse Deformation should be set to ‘no'; and Property Group should be set to Hidden/Clones (it will help you later).
    Name it something like G3F Clone

12. You don't have to do ERC freeze and skeleton adjustment on clones.

13. To save your morph zero your figure (so no morphs are dialed anything above 0 and check so your Genesis 3 Female clone is also zero)
    Go to File -> Save As -> Support Asset(s) -> Morph Asset(s). Find your morph under Genesis 2 Female in a group you put it in (like Actor, Morphs, etc) and check it on.
    Put something in Vendor Name (say, RetroClones). I usually leave Product Name empty.
    Do not compress files.

14. I do this step manually because I don't have CMS installed but some people seem to be able to do it from within the DS.
    Idea is that you need to set morph shape as a clone shape instead.

To do it manually, you'd need a plain text editor which supports parsed text. I use one called Bred3, but there are numerous others. Classic Windows Notepad won't probably work and neither Wordpad or MS Word.

15. Go to your DS content where you have G2F installed, find data/DAZ 3D/Genesis 2/Female/Morphs/RetroClones folder
    There should be a dsf file with name G3F Clone.dsf
    (If you compressed it, and it looks like gibberish, add *.zip at the end and unzip as a regular zip file, and replace the compressed *.dsf)

16. Open that file with your parsing text editor.

find Line 20 (it should be under under "presentation" : { line)
    it probably looks like that "type" : "Modifier/Shape",
    change it to "type" : "Modifier/Clone",
    (don't forget the commas)

check that line 39 looks like that
    "group" : "/Hidden/Clones",
    if not, change it to "group" : "/Hidden/Clones",
    if yes, save the file under the same name

17. Go back to DS and load fresh G2F. Try to conform G3F things to her. High-heel boots won't probably work anyway.

There are faster and/or different ways which work better for some people. In this very thread there are many useful advices.

edited December 1969

Finally found the right tutorial :)

• lordsithalexlordsithalex Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

dkgoose said:
    Finally found the right tutorial :)

Where?
    link Share ??

edited December 1969

It's still in this thread and it's Kattey's, I think it's one I used before but I'm scattered brained and forgot how it was done, it's on page 27, "Make your own simple V4 clone for G2M"

• lordsithalexlordsithalex Posts: 7
    edited July 2015

Why so distorted eyes ??

y54.jpg
    800 x 600 - 229K
    Post edited by lordsithalex on
    edited December 1969

G2F Clone for G3F is not precisely done by DAZ3D, so if you transfer morphs the more drastic morph you transfer, the bigger the distortion.

edited December 1969

This is a resummed version of tutorial for morph transfer, specifically for G2F-> G3F morph transfer

There are several ways to do morph transfer (and this thread has a lot of good advice), but the one I use goes like that:

1. Make sure that Shown Hidden Properties option in Parameters is checked.
    2. Load fresh G3F and zero it. Set Resolution level to Base and Subdivision Level to zero.
    3. In Parameters, in Hidden/Clones, find Genesis 2 Female clone and dial it to 100%
    4. Export it as obj, File -> Export. I usually use Hexagon scale, 100%, with everything (except Ignore Invisible Nodes) unchecked.
    The scale could be any, but it should be consistent for Export and Import (100% inches, or mm, or cm, etc)
    Name the file something like G3F G2F Base.obj

5. Clear up the scene and load G2F, zero it.
    6. Import the G3F G2F Base.obj into scene, it should pretty much overlap with base G2F figure.
    7. Open Transfer Utility, use G2F base figure as a source, and your obj as a target.
    In options below leave all as it is
    You can use Morphs->From Source -> All to transfer all morphs to G3F or you can do them one by one. I usually do them one by one, like in this tutorial. I also usually uncheck From Projection Template and Overwrite Existing in Morphs.
    Fit new conforming G3F to G2F like clothes. Don’t add any smoothing modifiers or Sub-D.
    8. Dial your morph 100%. G3F should automatically follow it, although some inner mouth morphs and drastic shapes might not work.
    9. Make G2F figure invisible. Export the G3F morphed figure as obj, for example, G3F G2F Custom Morph_1.obj
    10. Zero G2F (G3F will zero as well) and dial the next morph in G2F, save as new G3F obj, and keep going like that for all morphs you’d like to transfer. Don’t save the G3F ‘conforming’ figure, it is just temporary.

11. Clean the scene, load new G3F figure, zero it. Dial Genesis 2 Female shape to 100% from Hidden/Clones
    12. Start Morph Loader Pro, and chose your G3F G2F Custom Morph_1.obj as a Morph File.
    Give it a name as you wish, and set Reverse Deformation to ‘yes’; optionally set up Property Group to the one you wish. Now you should have a morph that, when combined with Genesis 2 shape from Hidden/Clones will give you a desired custom morph.
    If you leave Reverse Deformation as ‘no’ then your morph will have Genesis 2 shape embedded in it which might turn ugly on default G3F figure.

13. It is not always necessary but it is useful to do ERC Freeze on morphs, so they’d adjust skeleton of the figure with the shape. It isn’t needed for small morphs but for any change in proportions or weight, it might be useful. It can be done manually but there is thankfully an automated option which works very well with the majority of morphs.

14. To do ERC Freeze, select your G3F figure with your Custom Morph_1 dialed to 100% (no other morphs should be in effect) and go to Edit-> Figure -> Rigging -> Adjust Rigging to Shape.
    Adjust Center Points and Adjust End Points should always be checked, but Adjust Orientation might be good on or off for different morphs. I usually check it on. Click accept.
    15. If you don’t have ERC Freeze set up as hotkey, go to Window->Panes->Property Hierarchy window and _right_ click on this window when it pops up. Chose ERC Freeze (it should be the only one non-greyed option).
    16. In ERC Freeze window Node is Genesis 3 Female, Property is your currently active Custom Morph. Don’t change anything else but make sure that all three options at bottom (Restore Figure, Apply Control Property and Restore Figure Rigging) are checked on. Click accept.

17. To save your morph zero your figure (so no morphs are dialed anything above 0 and check so your Genesis 2 Female clone is also zero)
    Go to File -> Save As -> Support Asset(s) -> Morph Asset(s). Find your morph under Genesis 3 Female in a group you put it in (like Actor, Morphs, etc) and check it on. I usually don’t compress files but even if checked it won’t affect the performance.

You now should have your morph for G3F. Repeat steps 12-17 for each morph you wish to transfer.
    I’d also suggest to make your own G2F shape for G3F (instead of using the clone) by importing G3F G2F Base.obj back to G3F figure though morph loader pro and doing adjusted rigging/ERC freeze on it as per usual morph.

There are faster and/or different ways which work better for some people.

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    G2F Clone for G3F is not precisely done by DAZ3D, so if you transfer morphs the more drastic morph you transfer, the bigger the distortion.

I've also found that the applied G2F clone for G3F, doesn't match a original G2F and that's the reason morphs produce pronounced distortions and props and cloths a little off, for example: the G3F "wingspan" is bigger than G2F's, the head has more depth,etc.

I was in need of a "real" clone in order to convert skins from G2F to G3F by mapping coordinates, but right now is like wanting to map coordinates from a circle to a cube.