Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

2 questions:
    - did you install the 64 bit version of the plugin on the desktop?
    - did you check under help->about installed plugins to see if the plugin is listed as loaded (green)?

The behaviour looks like what you would get with an unregistered copy of the plugin.

• Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

Gone said:
    2 questions:
    - did you install the 64 bit version of the plugin on the desktop?
    - did you check under help->about installed plugins to see if the plugin is listed as loaded (green)?

The behaviour looks like what you would get with an unregistered copy of the plugin.

Hi Gone and thanks for the reply :D

Yes, I installed 64 bit on my desktop computer and the plugin seems to have registered fine in my plugins list ;)
    Thanks, been trying alsorts to resolve this from re install Ds, the plugin not sure what to do next!

:D

plugin_reg.PNG
    861 x 64 - 9K
    Post edited by Orion_Uk on
    edited May 2013

Strange...

I ran the content database maintenance and chose `re-import meta data` and this fixed my problem!

Horray for me! :D

Post edited by Orion_Uk on
    edited December 1969

Happy days are here again. :-)

Glad you got it sorted.

edited December 1969

Thanks Gone ;)

:D

edited December 1969

Kitbashing hair.

The first image shows 3 different hairs I posted previously. I often use multiple hair nodes for more complicated styles - which makes it easier to kitbash. :-)

The second image has modified the middle hair and added the pony tail from the first image and bangs from the third. A few minutes work and I have a new hair style.

OnTheTrail.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 872K
    3Hairs.jpg
    1200 x 400 - 132K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,825
    edited December 1969

...so one can also effectively create "add on" hair props?

edited December 1969

If you mean creating a library of partial styles and then loading them up for a final style, then, sure, why not?

I'm sure a skilled stylist can whip up complex and beautiful styles from scratch fairly quickly. But for lesser beings, such as myself, having a library of partials to kit together can cut down on a lot of time. The result may - or may not - look as good as scratch built but, if it gets the job done with less frustration, then I'm not going to complain. :-)

edited December 1969

...so has anyone tried using this for eyebrows?

Often I've found a nice skin mat, but the eyebrows (usually part of the facial texture map) don't match the hair colour I'd like to use. Two examples are my namsake (the KK character) and Leela's friend Tracey who both have white hair. Looks really bad when the eyebrows on the skin map are brown.

edited December 1969

Of course!

Take a closer look at the triple image. All 3 have Garibaldi made eyebrows. :lol:

Depending on your needs, you can put the hair over the existing texured brow to enhance it - or erase the texture brow in a paint program and use your Garibaldi brow on it's own. I've done it both ways though I usually go the first method because I'm generally lazy. :cheese:

edited December 1969

...excellent.

I'm with you on "method 1". Until Daz Studio has in viewport 3D texture painting I'll just overlay the existing ones.

edited December 1969

Here's a couple of bits of foolishness I did back in the early days of the beta. They serve more as a "proof of concept" now. It's all Garibaldi hair.

GreyHair.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 352K
    GaribaldiEyebrow.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 570K
  • IsamuDysonIsamuDyson Posts: 27
    edited May 2013

Disregard Post.

Post edited by IsamuDyson on
  • ZwytZwyt Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

I know were not really talking about Features too much but I just wanted to chime in and suggest a few tweaks that might be really nice to see in a future version or update if they wouldn't be to difficult. I have messed around with Garibaldi Express on and off since its release (i bought it as soon as I saw it in the store) and I really like it even if I haven't gotten very skilled at using it yet, my results are kind of hit and miss at the moment. Something I think would make this tool much easier to get good results with is a symmetry feature that could be turned on and off (like in Sculptris) in a couple of areas mainly in painting the area to have hair initially, it would be really nice if I could paint a side burn on one side of the head and have the symmetry feature copy it identically on the other side, same with getting nice uniform mustaches and beards, and if this feature could be applied to styling and distribution as well so that a style could be made on one side and basically duplicated on the other of course this would need to be something that could be turned on and off. I know I would find this very helpful but it may be something that is a pain to implement. Anyway comments, criticisms are all completely welcome.

Charles

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Well just got this and am seriously impressed with it !
    However I need to know what I can and can't do with it, I've got something coming up which I would like to do preset using this product.
    1. Can I import my own density maps and how.
    2. Can I use mu own texure map as the base color for the hair strands, Eg. I have a tiger with textures on it and I want those same color to come out in the hair using the same map. I can't see how I can import.
    3. Can I save a scene with all the hair done and reload it again with all the setting.

edited December 1969

However I need to know what I can and can't do with it, I've got something coming up which I would like to do preset using this product.
    2. Can I use mu own texure map as the base color for the hair strands, Eg. I have a tiger with textures on it and I want those same color to come out in the hair using the same map. I can't see how I can import.
    3. Can I save a scene with all the hair done and reload it again with all the setting.

Short answer - yes, yes, and yes. :-)

1. The simplest method for this (and #2) is to start in Garibaldi and do an export in order to see how the files are set up. Basically, you need a folder named for the effect you want eg. Tiger hair. Inside the folder will be a set of 1024x1024 .png files named for each of the surfaces that will be covered. Garibaldi will create this structure for you when you do an export. Each of the .png files will be a blank, black square. Take each of these into your paint program and paint your map and resave to the original file name. You will probably need to take a seam guide or texture map into the paint program to use as a reference for where to paint.
    2. See above. Also, density maps must be imported as grey scale and texture maps as colour. The process for texture maps is essentially the same as for density maps. When you have you maps imported, you then need to make sure they are selected in the distribution pane. The texture maps are dropped into the base and tip colour spaces. Look back in this thread and in the previous beta thread for more detailed info.
    3. The hair is automatically saved as part of your scene file. You can also save the hair as a seperate wearable prop and load it onto any compatible figure.

There is an awful lot of power and ability in this plugin that isn't immediately obvious. The more you work with it, the more you see what it can do.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Gone said:

Short answer - yes, yes, and yes. :-)

1. The simplest method for this (and #2) is to start in Garibaldi and do an export in order to see how the files are set up. Basically, you need a folder named for the effect you want eg. Tiger hair. Inside the folder will be a set of 1024x1024 .png files named for each of the surfaces that will be covered. Garibaldi will create this structure for you when you do an export. Each of the .png files will be a blank, black square. Take each of these into your paint program and paint your map and resave to the original file name. You will probably need to take a seam guide or texture map into the paint program to use as a reference for where to paint.
    2. See above. Also, density maps must be imported as grey scale and texture maps as colour. The process for texture maps is essentially the same as for density maps. When you have you maps imported, you then need to make sure they are selected in the distribution pane. The texture maps are dropped into the base and tip colour spaces. Look back in this thread and in the previous beta thread for more detailed info.
    3. The hair is automatically saved as part of your scene file. You can also save the hair as a seperate wearable prop and load it onto any compatible figure.

There is an awful lot of power and ability in this plugin that isn't immediately obvious. The more you work with it, the more you see what it can do.
    Thanks good info there! yes started to read through the thread and picked up a few things.
    From a vendors point of view need to keep those folder inside the Daz directory structure is the maps are easy to distribute. I was hoping there would be a standard directory already but it looks like I'll be the first vendor to do it, so any feedback on where and what names for Dir would be helpful. I'm using 3dCoat to paint the density maps so they are symmetrical, and I just re-sized the original texture maps to 1K and import them in and they worked fine. For only having this a few hours have got up and running quick. One big advantage of this plugin it seems to run independent of DS and isn't effected by updates. I guess mat setting will be my next step but working well so far. Thanks

edited December 1969

I have a render cooking at the moment so I can't check to verify but I don't think you need to worry about where you put the density/texture maps.

If I'm not mistaken, these maps are saved internally with the hair product so it doesn't really matter where they reside at the time of creation. If you look at the free hair from the Garibaldi site, you will see that there are density and texture maps with the hair but only a single .duf file is being distributed - no seperate texture or density maps.

As for location, I assume you will be distributing Garibaldi node hair. In which case, might I suggest the directory of .../People/Genesis/Hair/Garibaldi/(vendor)/(product). Since this isn't normal prop hair, I think it would be prudent to include Garibaldi in the directory structure to make sure all Garibaldi hair is located in the same place and seperate from any prop hair that a vendor may sell.

You will also need to make sure the hair is saved as a wearable prop so you don't include the figure the hair was created on.

Looking forward to seeing what you produce.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Gone:

Great examples, as always. You really do make this all look so easy.

A question for you; What character is the male pictured below, and where did you get him from?

GonesCharacter.jpg
    375 x 342 - 44K
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments. It gets pretty lonely in this thread at times. :-)

The guy is a blend of F5 and Edward Odd - both available here in the DAZ store. The skin is F5. I bought the pro pack so I'm not sure if the F5 morphs were part of the F5 or an add on.

Anyway, here's the formula.

F5Edward.jpg
    322 x 222 - 23K
    edited May 2013

..started working with creating eyebrows. A little trickier positioning wise as the first time they ended up on the upper eyelids. Had something that looked pretty good but 4.6 froze up with the render at 99%. Process kept running even after I cancelled the render and shut the app down (had to kill he process tree in Task Manager). Seems to be some kind of memory leak glitch with the Daz Studio application itself as in the TM processes tab, it kept increasing in memory size even though it was already shut down manually. Seen this before in earlier version of Daz Studio (up to 3Advanced) and already addressed the issue in the 4.6 release thread.

For one of my characters, I'm going to have to edit the facial map in Gimp to remove the painted brows as they are so dark, they still show through. Would need to make the brows incredibly thick and bushy to cover them which just wouldn't look right on a fair skinned and light haired 11 year old girl.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

When doing brows, I usually paint the map in GIMP and then import. You can use the texture map to guide your paintng to get a perfect line up with the texture - but that won't help a lot if the texture is too dark since it will likely show through to some extent.

If you do it this way, remember to make sure the UV going in to Garibaldi is for the same map type you used for the painting or else it won't line up properly. Once the brows are saved as a wearable prop, the UV isn't an issue any more.

In Garibaldi, remember to set the seg length lower so you can have more control over the shaping. I usually set seg length to 0.2 (default is 1). There are 2 places this needs to be set. Once under the tool icon and also in interpolation.

edited December 1969

...great, Thank you.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Gone.

I thought perhaps it was a stand-alone character one could purchase.

I have the Freak5 base pack, but it does not include those two custom faces you mixed in that you got in your pro pack, and I don't have the Edward Odd character either.

Thanks for sharing your formula. Your creation is the spitting image of a character I created for a graphic novel (illustrated, non-3D), and so far I only have a rudimentary facsimile of him created with Poser4 Dork. I would like to create him with Genesis to be used for a more realistic drawing reference.

If I can't achieve it on my own with a combination of what I have, and custom sculpting, then I can try your formula route since you pretty much nailed it.

Thanks again for sharing.

• Beat578Beat578 Posts: 191
    edited December 1969

Hi all
    im experimentin with my Caribaldi Plugin and got some cool results finally.
    Now i have a Question: I exported that Furball as an OBJ cause i want it to render in Octane.
    But i dont quite geht how to texture it. Is there a good example of what the Texture map and Transparency map
    should look like, so the hair has about the same look as when rendered in DAZ Studio itself?

I could also Render Hair in Studio and Composite later, but i dont like the idea because matching the shadows later would
    be quite tricky...

Thanks for your Help!
    Regards
    Beat

• krickerdkrickerd Posts: 184
    edited December 1969

My 1st real test. Breathing life into old characters: Michael 2. 4 hair props. I will do a real scene render later. As I like how these turned out, I've saved these props to my library.

M2_1.jpg
    424 x 600 - 53K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Finally got around to using this plug-in but for the life of me I can't understand why I cannot set the base thickness to more than 0.200. No matter what I type in it will not go higher. Is this the limit of the plug-in or the limitations of the area I am trying to use. This is what I am trying to do http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/23099/#343567 but I want thicker spines. Otherwise I found it easy to use even without looking at the documentation and tutorials again to refresh the memory.

edited December 1969

You're right. It does seem that 0.2 is the max for both base and tip.

You can get around this in the render settings. If you select the hair and go to the Parameters tab under "Rendering" you can change the render percent. Lower values will give you thicker/fewer hairs. By playing with the amount and base/tip thickness along with the render percent, you should be able to get what you want.

Clumping may also be helpful. By setting the clumping to max with a max bias you can get thick strands of hair.

Good luck.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Thx Gone for that I will give it a try. I am alittle disappointed though as LAMH seems to be able to do this without any trouble. But I can't be certain as I don't have LAMH.

I wonder where futurebiscuit has gotten to, we haven't seen a post since March.

edited December 1969

To be fair, Garibaldi is targeting a subset of the LAMH audience.

Alessandro has said, from the start, that he intends to exploit the technology to its fullest. So, as well as hair/fur, LAMH can do grass, spines, etc. and even replace the generated hair with instanted objects.

On the other hand, James has said that his only interest is doing hair. So ---- what's a resonable limit for the thickness of a hair?

It would be nice if he would drop by and give us an update, but I'm going to assume his day job isn't leaving him much free time at the moment. According to his bio, he's a VFX developer so, if he's on assignment, I expect he is pretty busy.

But that's just a WAG on my part. :)