Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

acanthis said:
    MelanieL said:
    acanthis said:
    I finally took the plunge today and bought this, but unfortunately DAZ have decided not to issue me with a serial number (it's nowhere in the list of available serial numbers in my account) so I can't use the damn thing.

It didn't appear after a couple of hours, so I raised a help ticket, which I suppose somebody will get around to looking at one day, but I wondered if anyone else had this problem and possibly I'm missing some top secret method for obtaining the serial number that is different to other DAZ software products.

Maybe you are smarter than me and this is not the answer, but when I bought it I thought there was no serial number in my account till someone pointed out that if there are more than 10 they spread onto page 2?

Thanks, but I have already expanded the list to 50 (many more products than I own), and there's no page 2, but it was one of the first things I thought of.

Unfortunately this looks like yet another DAZ store screwup.

Nothing from DAZ, and this has got me so annoyed (because it's far from the first time that this has happened) that I've requested that the order be cancelled.

Sorry, futurebiscuit; I'm sure it's a great product but I will never know now. Blame it on DAZ.

• KibbyKibby Posts: 60
    edited April 2013

acanthis said:
    Nothing from DAZ, and this has got me so annoyed (because it's far from the first time that this has happened) that I've requested that the order be cancelled.

Sorry, futurebiscuit; I'm sure it's a great product but I will never know now. Blame it on DAZ.

If it's taking you a long wait, add another one to cart, pay. Request for previous one to be refunded or credited. You should be getting serial number as soon as you finish the checkout. I got mine no problem without any wait.

That way you can start playing with it.

Good luck!

Post edited by Kibby on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,825
    edited April 2013

Gone said:
    When I get long hair causing that problem, I increase the segment length to smooth out the styling stagger.

Increasing the segment length will cause the curves to become more "jaggy" (and significantly reduce the vert count) but that won't be very noticable with long straight hair. If you need the smoother curves, then reduce the segment length when you are ready to render.

You can also use thicker values for the hair width and reduce the amount in the distribution pane then bump up the render amount in DS. This will cause more - and thinner - hair to be generated at render time. You can find the render value in the Parameters pane in DS when you have the hair node selected.

I followed your advice. I've been be able to make her hair longer and was able to comb at tolerate system lag. I believe I got her hair as long as 15 meters/16 yards while doubling hair density from 10.0 to 20.0. I was pretty happy with the results.

I had the segment value all the way to lowest setting and hair smooth would still remain smooth but hair styling would be longer instead of smaller/fine curve detail. It was no problem for Rapunzel (thankfully).

Because of Garibaldi Express, I was be able to simulate a workflow from Disney's The Tangled. It was hard work. Disney budgeted $10 millions for the hair alone. Youch!

Kyoto Kid, did you check out the beta tutorial found in YouTube that was out during the beta testing phase? That was where I was able to start working on mine after watching this video.
    ...streaming Youtube from home is a bit slow as I'm on wireless.

This is going to really help my Princess Merida WIP thread which I will "reboot" this week now that I have everything I need for it installed on the new rig. I have a number of pre-production images and a couple videos which detail the hair building process.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Yikes! My iMac was scorching hot! Haha. Rendering at 800% (full 8 cores).

Ok the render's done.. I better let it cool down. :D Here's the result!

Rapunzel_Couple_in_EF2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

I had the segment value all the way to lowest setting and hair smooth would still remain smooth but hair styling would be longer instead of smaller/fine curve detail. It was no problem for Rapunzel (thankfully).

Ok, not quite sure what you mean by this. Lower segment values will increase the number of segments and make the hair smoother. Higher numbers will reduce the number of segments. The number is the length of the segment in cm so higher numbers mean the hair will be longer before a new segment is added.

By the way, there are 2 segment values. One is curve settings (click the icon with the crossed wrench and screwdriver) and the other is under interpolation settings. The curve settings affect the style pane but the interpolation setting is used in the render (as well as clump and tweak panes). If you set the curve setting to 4 and leave the interpolation at 1, then you will have jaggy looking hair in the style pane but smooth curves in the render. Of course, with hair this long, you won't see any jaggies anyway so you might as well set the interpolation to 4 and save some verts.

Nice render at any rate. :-)

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..started playing around a bit last night (nothing really finished to show) and find it incredibly intuitive. Unfortunately to use any of the help files or tutorials for advanced work I need to be online. The rub with that is my workstation is a standalone system. Can these be accessed on a system where it is not installed (like my notebook) which does have a connection to the net?

If you are talking about the tutorials and help files on the Garibaldi homepage - you can go there from whereever ...

edited December 1969

There's one part I will need help from Garibaldi. I don't think I'm finding the answer from their website or I've been overlooking in the wrong place.

When you change Genesis pose, you will notice DAZ actually morph its hair real-time. Is there any parameter that we can tweak? Such as collusion or gravity/magnet? Or even better, assign bones on them? And how?

I'm including a link for a screen recording I made earlier for better understanding.

http://members.shaw.ca/kibby/GaribaldiHairMorph.mov

edited December 1969

Collision only works with objects, not with Ricurves
    But you can export as an object
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17751/P315/#282911
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17751/P315/#284473

• DAZ_Bcreek1DAZ_Bcreek1 Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

Please contact sales here,

http://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

if you are missing a serial number, everyone should get one at the time of their order. I will happily get that added to your account if one was not added automatically.

Thank you for your patience and your business.

Have a wonderful day!

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ..started playing around a bit last night (nothing really finished to show) and find it incredibly intuitive. Unfortunately to use any of the help files or tutorials for advanced work I need to be online. The rub with that is my workstation is a standalone system. Can these be accessed on a system where it is not installed (like my notebook) which does have a connection to the net?

If you are talking about the tutorials and help files on the Garibaldi homepage - you can go there from whereever ...

...excellent. That way I can be on the site with my notebook while having the application open on the workstation.

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

i see some people have created hair that is other than ginger. how do i change the hair colour? all mine is ginger and i cant find a palette in the editor.

• nightkinnightkin Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

oh - i found it. my screen wasnt refreshing when i tried to activate Distribute, which is where the hair colour palette is. probably shouldnt have been multitasking.

edited December 1969

And there are settings in the DS surface tab

Quoting from other messages
    Try reducing the Secondary specular intensity "TRT Intensity" also the Diffuse intensity "D Intensity".

I modified the secondary specular, a little adjustment on the diffuse strength and assigned a respective colour to both specular channels, eventually everything started to blend the way I wanted.

try turning the salt off altogether and increasing the pepper for a stronger darker colour.... and then increasing the salt just very slightly and decreasing the peper until you get the right blend you are after.

• RakceyenRakceyen Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

Definitelly love this plugin!

I had LAMH before this, but that plugin crashed constantly on me and couldnt handle large amounts of hair. I have had no troubles with Garibaldi.

I have yet to make hair for a normal human character. Most of what I do is anthro, so a lot of fur work here. I have a gallery at deviantART with a few more like this.

Downtown_ID.jpg
    1000 x 1250 - 718K
    edited December 1969

Looks good!!!

edited December 1969

Wow! This thread is moving so fast it's hard to keep up! :lol:

Anyway, just thought I would try to squeeze this in.

Braveish.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 573K
    edited December 1969

Same hair - different tweak settings.

BravishRedux.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 527K
    edited December 1969

...aww geeez,, looks like you are beating me to the punch with Merida. Just haven't got everything installed on the new workstation yet to restart the project. Nice to know it will be able to create that wild mane of hers.

• Drew ZantiDrew Zanti Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Is there a wish list or feature request form for Garibaldi Express, as i really would like to be able to make ringlets, roller sets, perms and pin curl and princes updoes.
    spring function for spring time lol

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...aww geeez,, looks like you are beating me to the punch with Merida. Just haven't got everything installed on the new workstation yet to restart the project. Nice to know it will be able to create that wild mane of hers.

Yeah, I've been trying to get something like this for months. Everything kept coming out more like the first pic when what I wanted was something more like the second. It's still not what I'm looking for but it's a lot closer.

I expect Cath will pop in one day and say "What's wrong with you! It's so simple - all you have to do is this...". :-)

edited December 1969

Is there a wish list or feature request form for Garibaldi Express, as i really would like to be able to make ringlets, roller sets, perms and pin curl and princes updoes.
    spring function for spring time lol

Technically, you can probably do those things now - it's just not very easy. I too am hoping there will be tools in the next version that will make these things a lot easier.

edited December 1969

...well have to get cracking and finish installing the final "pieces" on the new system tonight and fire up the WIP thread again. Unfortunately I have to rebuild her from scratch as I am using a separate drive for the runtimes and all the paths will be incorrect if I just port the character file over.

• will2powerwill2power Posts: 270
    edited December 1969

I have a question. I don't know if it's been asked yet, but can you manipulate the hair after it's been created? I'm not necessarily speaking about adding bones, but I'm talking more about things like if you've posed the model and you want the hair to drape over one shoulder versus the other --can you move the strands to do that for a still image render? Or is this something where if you want to do that, you're going to have to go back and create some bones for it in order to be able to manipulate it? Or is that even possible?

edited December 1969

I'm going to assume that you have created the hair and saved it as a wearable preset.

Once you have loaded it onto your new character/pose, you go back to Garibaldi. In the setup pane, hit the update button near the bottom to show the new character/pose. Then go to the styling pane and comb the hair to suit the pose.

Of course, you can change anything you want and make it into a whole new hair style if you like.:-)

You can also load multiple copies of the hair and change various properties for each node to produce all sorts of effects.

edited December 1969

Don't mind me - just dong a little dusting is all.

Kimberly.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 319K
    edited December 1969

...well not sure what I was doing wrong but while having 8 processing threads, 12 GB memory, 1 GB VRAM, and OGL 4.3 support, I had 4.5 crash while I was working with the plugin.

Wasn't doing anything long or complex and was in the Styling tab when it happened.

edited December 1969

Do you remember what you were doing and what settings you had at the time of the crash?

During the beta, there were some settings/actions that would crash DS but, since the 1.0 release, I haven't managed to crash.

edited December 1969

..I do believe mine is the 1.0 version (purchased on 03/24).

I was mostly experimenting to see how the frizz and clumping tools worked in preparation for eventually creating the hair for my Merida character. I know that Pixar developed special software and hardware just to deal with the hair (spending nearly 3 years on it) and seen a couple examples that come pretty close. Was working at a shorter length and trying to get that totally wild look when 4.5 crashed to the desktop (with that little green progress monitor that appears momentarily).

It did not create the usual error file package to submit to Daz so there was no logfile I could look at to determine what exactly caused the crash.

edited December 1969

So, you were working in the clump and tweak panes before going back to the style pane to work with shorter hair.

Were you trying to shorten the hair when it crashed? Were you using the scissors or scale tool? Did you have any curves selected or have any selection groups? Were any of the "show" buttons active - all mesh, follicles, hair, etc?

It would help to know the settings to try to figure out the cause of the crash. For example, during the original beta, if "show follicles" was turned on when you switched panes you would get a crash but not if follicles was turned off.

Just to clarify, when I mentioned the beta, I was referring to the original beta series before version 1.0 - that is what you would have bought. There is also a version 1.1 beta available for registered users at futurebiscuit's site. It added a couple of extra tools but did not change anything that is in the original version 1.0 so there are no "bug fixes" that would address this problem.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

I've been working with this quite a bit. I have not had any problem with crashes. During the initial beta I somehow created a scene with hair that would crash every time I rendered it or edited it in the plugin. I sent it in as a bug report and I think that is fixed now.

Here is a quick hair I created last night testing a new character. Still could use some more work.

test03.jpg
    750 x 1000 - 456K