Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• edited December 1969

shawnlau said:
    shawnlau said:
    I sure wish you'd make a version that works with daz 4.0. I bought it, and love it, but Daz 4.5 has so many bugs, I'm thinking about going back to 4.0 and rendering in Cinema 4d using Cinema 4d hair.

Its a pity, its a great plug in. Pleas give a thought to releasing a version that works with Daz 4.0

Which version of 4.5 are you using, and what bugs? In general 4.5 seems to have worked pretty well, once content is updated to deal with the Duplicate IDs issue.

Here's a link to the thread I started on the problem. It might seem trivial, but its huge to me as I've created much content with the figure transfer utility :

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19532/

I see, yes saving assets in a scene - rather than using File>Save as>Support Asset>Moprh Asset fro genesis, or using the ExP Exporter for older figures, does seem to be a problem on some systems.

Is there a thread somewhere about this? This is a huge issue. When one is working with several applications and passing data between them, crashes happen. You need to save, Save ,SAVE. Imagine my horror when I found all my saves were nothing but cubes! And the program gave me no inkling anything was amiss. I lost work and I was angry. This is a bug the need to address quickly as it severely limits the usefulness of Daz Studio. If Garibaldi would create a version that works with Daz Studio 4.0, I'd jump back in a heart beat. And believe me, I'll be lobbying the developer via email for just that.

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

@Shawnlau

Thanks for the advise on hair settings. I've exported obj while reducing the base and tip settings in distribution and tweak, seems to do the job.

My second test render came out a lot better. Cheers.
    Getting there, still room for loads more tweaking.

hair-obj-002.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K
  • KibbyKibby Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

Nice! Let's add shiny to it! :D

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Speaking of shiny...

How would I go about making the hair more reflective? I'm not talking mirror quality here, but my hairstyles so far have been somewhat flat and I'd like to add that lovely sheen to it. I can't really make head nor tails of the material settings, other than the blindingly obvious, and changing the surface shader loses the randomized colouring (the salt + peppering).

Any ideas?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I am copying from my textfile - these are not my findings, but they may help you:

The settings that will have the greatest effect are primary and secondary specular and transmission.
    Basically, primary specular is the brighter/focused shine. I often leave this alone - depending on the light set.
    Seconday specular is a duller/less focused shine. I usually set this to the tip colour and a bit lighter in shade.
    Transmission is similar to translucency and I usually set this a bit lighter than seconday specular.
    You can play with the other settings to see how they affect the hair but changing the colour values in these 3 will have the greatet visual impact.

The colour in the specular options is just a blend colour, the blend slider below will blend from the colour set (at setting 0) and the colour settings set in garibaldi (at settings 1).

The hair shader is not very intuitive. I need to do some documentation/tutorial about what it all means.
    Basically the Primary specular is extra shinny bit on the hair. Normally nearly white and small.
    The secondary is the more wide specular that is more coloured and less bright.

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Just to clarify Kerya's comments - these sttings are found in the DS Surface tab with the hair selected. They are not in the Garibaldi window.

• edited December 1969

Gone said:
    The image you supplied is small so it's hard to see what settings you have in the tool pane but I notice you have "Global Settings" selected instead of "Workspace Settings". While it seems unlikely, perhaps there is a problem with the settings.

The only other thing I can think of is there may be an issue with your graphics card.

I was only on the Global Settings to look at them and see if there was anything in there that might cause an issue. I didn't really touch those settings (especially the first time I created a new hair).

With regards to the graphics card - I can still use the plugin otherwise. I can paint (in a wonky pattern), add the hair and style it and render it. I would think if my graphics card couldn't handle it the entire thing wouldn't work or would cause crashes rather than just causing odd patterning when I paint, but I could be wrong.

Assuming no other users in the thread are experiencing this problem, it'd be great to know if the plugin's creator had any other feedback during the beta from anyone with this problem, or if he thinks it is indeed a graphics card issue.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,453
    edited December 1969

shawnlau said:
    shawnlau said:
    shawnlau said:
    I sure wish you'd make a version that works with daz 4.0. I bought it, and love it, but Daz 4.5 has so many bugs, I'm thinking about going back to 4.0 and rendering in Cinema 4d using Cinema 4d hair.

Its a pity, its a great plug in. Pleas give a thought to releasing a version that works with Daz 4.0

Which version of 4.5 are you using, and what bugs? In general 4.5 seems to have worked pretty well, once content is updated to deal with the Duplicate IDs issue.

Here's a link to the thread I started on the problem. It might seem trivial, but its huge to me as I've created much content with the figure transfer utility :

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19532/

I see, yes saving assets in a scene - rather than using File>Save as>Support Asset>Moprh Asset fro genesis, or using the ExP Exporter for older figures, does seem to be a problem on some systems.

Is there a thread somewhere about this? This is a huge issue. When one is working with several applications and passing data between them, crashes happen. You need to save, Save ,SAVE. Imagine my horror when I found all my saves were nothing but cubes! And the program gave me no inkling anything was amiss. I lost work and I was angry. This is a bug the need to address quickly as it severely limits the usefulness of Daz Studio. If Garibaldi would create a version that works with Daz Studio 4.0, I'd jump back in a heart beat. And believe me, I'll be lobbying the developer via email for just that.

No, but there have been various threads on problems of that general type - most with older figures though.

• Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 356
    edited December 1969

I just purchased this. It's a very intuitive product, but like everything, it requires some time to master. I wish there were more videos on their site showing how to do short hair vs. long hair, etc. There has to be some different approaches that would help new users get started (I did watch the Beta video) .

I'm working on short hair at the moment just to get used to the product, but I'm finding ti frustrating that sometimes the blue hair plugs appear in the right place, but when I render the Garibaldi hair, the hair is not showing up. That and the fact that you can't paint masks on areas like the ears where you don't want hair poking through. Good product but could use more video tutorials and a few tweaks.

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Alixir said:
    When I enter the paint workspace, and try to paint on my selected surfaces (face/head), the paint makes a bunch of random shapes. The paint looks like a Rorschach test (see attached).

I'm having this problem on plain old un-textured Genesis, though (as well as any textured/morphed variations I try). I just updated my Daz after buying the plugin, as well as the starter content. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

It would be great If you could email me the following information contact(at)garibaldiexpress.com :

* If you load one of the example scenes from the Garibaldi web site and paint do you experience the same problem.
    * What graphics card/chipset does your computer have.
    * What operating system and system architecture are you using.
    * What Graphics setting did you select when first using Garibaldi Express.
    * Have you ever updated your graphic card/chipset drivers since purchasing your computer.

I apologise your experiencing issues with your copy of 'Garibaldi Express', although this seems to be a relatively isolated case.

edited March 2013

Bought: Garibaldi Express + Bunny Girl + Luxus
    Failed to render: Luxus plug-in
    Fell back to: 3Delight Renderer

DAZ Studio would crash after finishing collecting the textures for Luxus. I decided to render using 3Delight.

They look amazing under the shade away from infinite light... Used UberEnvironment 2.

Here are the results.

Kibby_BunnyGirl03.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Kibby_BunnyGirl02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Kibby_BunnyGirl01.jpg
    1454 x 994 - 221K
    Post edited by Kibby on
    edited December 1969

Bought: Garibaldi Express + Bunny Girl + Luxus
    Failed to render: Luxus plug-in
    Fell back to: 3Delight Renderer

DAZ Studio would crash after finishing collecting the textures for Luxus. I decided to render using 3Delight.

They look amazing under the shade away from infinite light... Used UberEnvironment 2.

Here are the results.

Luxrender doesn't support the Renderman RiCurves needed for the hair. You'll have to export it as an OBJ to use it in Reality or Luxus. That way it becomes actual geometry so the render engine has something to work with. I've not used this myself, so I have no idea how it will affect performance though.
    edited March 2013

Luxrender doesn't support the Renderman RiCurves needed for the hair. You'll have to export it as an OBJ to use it in Reality or Luxus. That way it becomes actual geometry so the render engine has something to work with. I've not used this myself, so I have no idea how it will affect performance though.

Ah! Got it. Guess I wouldn't bother to.. With that amount of hair strands, I would be generating well over 100mb. ;)

I notice if I place her under shade, they will produce nice shiny effects. With direct infinite light, I lose the shiny. Unless I miss any tweaking that I need to adjust?

Post edited by Kibby on
    edited December 1969

Ah! Got it. Guess I wouldn't bother to.. With that amount of hair strands, I would be generating well over 100mb. ;)

I notice if I place her under shade, they will produce nice shiny effects. With direct infinite light, I lose the shiny. Unless I miss any tweaking that I need to adjust?
    I'm still learning that part myself, so I couldn't tell you. If you scroll up you'll find a post detailing information on the specular materials though. Perhaps tweaking them might get you the results you seek?

edited December 1969

This time, under direct sunlight (or DirectLight)

Kibby_BunnyGirl04.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    edited December 1969

If I'm not mistaken, that's 3D Universe's Sandy Bay in there. Cute bunny, great setting. It's one of my favourites since I can't afford the Pirate Cove yet.

edited December 1969

If I'm not mistaken, that's 3D Universe's Sandy Bay in there. Cute bunny, great setting. It's one of my favourites since I can't afford the Pirate Cove yet.

Yes, you're right on the spot.

Same here about the Pirate Cove. I don't have any pirate prop, accessory, or wardrobe to begin with. Maybe one day when I feel like doing new theme after cute setting and Sci-Fi. :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,825
    edited December 1969

This time, under direct sunlight (or DirectLight)

...dang that's cute. Cant wait to give this a whirl once I get some more stuff installed.

I can doz reel fuzzy kittehs nowz.

edited December 1969

It is what it is. :lol:

BaldTop.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 298K
    edited March 2013

...Chuck Norris having a real bad hair day?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Someone challenged me to re-create Rapunzel. I thought that was awesome challenge so I did it -- but not at its full supposedly hair length.. Sadly.

The longer the hair becomes, the computer will slow down during Garibaldi Express hair styling. When you comb, it staggers so badly when hair is as long as 9 meters. Combing, mouse cursor movement will not feel fluid.

In case if you ask me to reduce hair density. It's already at its default value of 10.0. Hair statistics during rendering shows 10,549 hairs and 2,087,294 vertices.

It will take RAM as much as 3 GB for hair itself. It isn't a problem on my 16GB system. It is the CPU power it requires to compute during hair styling. I have 3.4ghz i7 Quad Core. Interesting enough it's almost at 800% CPU power which actually uses the entire cores to render the scene. I'm glad it isn't limited to # of cores unlike some products (3Delight, for instance.. standalone free copy is limited to 2 cores).

---

I haven't tried with Garibaldi Express' competition plug-in. I also own a copy..

Any thought?

Rapunzel_Challenge_Final.jpg
    1350 x 1080 - 187K
    Screen_Shot_2013-03-31_at_9.53_.20_AM_.png
    943 x 35 - 17K
    edited December 1969

When I get long hair causing that problem, I increase the segment length to smooth out the styling stagger.

Increasing the segment length will cause the curves to become more "jaggy" (and significantly reduce the vert count) but that won't be very noticable with long straight hair. If you need the smoother curves, then reduce the segment length when you are ready to render.

You can also use thicker values for the hair width and reduce the amount in the distribution pane then bump up the render amount in DS. This will cause more - and thinner - hair to be generated at render time. You can find the render value in the Parameters pane in DS when you have the hair node selected.

edited December 1969

Another short hair style.

MilMohawk.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 296K
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    When I get long hair causing that problem, I increase the segment length to smooth out the styling stagger.

Increasing the segment length will cause the curves to become more "jaggy" (and significantly reduce the vert count) but that won't be very noticable with long straight hair. If you need the smoother curves, then reduce the segment length when you are ready to render.

You can also use thicker values for the hair width and reduce the amount in the distribution pane then bump up the render amount in DS. This will cause more - and thinner - hair to be generated at render time. You can find the render value in the Parameters pane in DS when you have the hair node selected.

Oh!! Of course, why didn't I think of the segment length that can reduce # of vertices. *slap forehead* That will definitely help with hair animation with that method... rather than super curve details that I don't need for long hair (but I might for area near roots but I think that's where Bias comes which can reel those nodes closer for detail work)...

Time to tinker those as soon as I get home from work. :o)

If you weren't letting me know, I would eventually refuse to animate them.. it was pain to style them when they end up pulling hair up and have to re-comb them down.

Thanks Gone! Exciting!

• edited December 1969

It would be great If you could email me the following information contact(at)garibaldiexpress.com.

I apologise your experiencing issues with your copy of 'Garibaldi Express', although this seems to be a relatively isolated case.

Thanks to futurebiscuit's suggestions, I have Garibaldi Express working now (it was an issue with un-updated drivers, in case anyone else in this thread comes across this issue). It confirms what I had hoped when I purchased it - this is a magnificent tool! It's fairly intuitive and lets me create how I want. Best of all, it's fast and easy to use!

I'm thrilled and pleased I made the purchase.

• acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

I finally took the plunge today and bought this, but unfortunately DAZ have decided not to issue me with a serial number (it's nowhere in the list of available serial numbers in my account) so I can't use the damn thing.

It didn't appear after a couple of hours, so I raised a help ticket, which I suppose somebody will get around to looking at one day, but I wondered if anyone else had this problem and possibly I'm missing some top secret method for obtaining the serial number that is different to other DAZ software products.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,236
    edited December 1969

acanthis said:
    I finally took the plunge today and bought this, but unfortunately DAZ have decided not to issue me with a serial number (it's nowhere in the list of available serial numbers in my account) so I can't use the damn thing.

It didn't appear after a couple of hours, so I raised a help ticket, which I suppose somebody will get around to looking at one day, but I wondered if anyone else had this problem and possibly I'm missing some top secret method for obtaining the serial number that is different to other DAZ software products.

Maybe you are smarter than me and this is not the answer, but when I bought it I thought there was no serial number in my account till someone pointed out that if there are more than 10 they spread onto page 2?
  • acanthisacanthis Posts: 604
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    acanthis said:

Maybe you are smarter than me and this is not the answer, but when I bought it I thought there was no serial number in my account till someone pointed out that if there are more than 10 they spread onto page 2?

Thanks, but I have already expanded the list to 50 (many more products than I own), and there's no page 2, but it was one of the first things I thought of.

Unfortunately this looks like yet another DAZ store screwup.

edited December 1969

..started playing around a bit last night (nothing really finished to show) and find it incredibly intuitive. Unfortunately to use any of the help files or tutorials for advanced work I need to be online. The rub with that is my workstation is a standalone system. Can these be accessed on a system where it is not installed (like my notebook) which does have a connection to the net?

edited December 1969

Gone said:

I followed your advice. I've been be able to make her hair longer and was able to comb at tolerate system lag. I believe I got her hair as long as 15 meters/16 yards while doubling hair density from 10.0 to 20.0. I was pretty happy with the results.

I had the segment value all the way to lowest setting and hair smooth would still remain smooth but hair styling would be longer instead of smaller/fine curve detail. It was no problem for Rapunzel (thankfully).

Because of Garibaldi Express, I was be able to simulate a workflow from Disney's The Tangled. It was hard work. Disney budgeted $10 millions for the hair alone. Youch!

Kyoto Kid, did you check out the beta tutorial found in YouTube that was out during the beta testing phase? That was where I was able to start working on mine after watching this video.