Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin [Commercial]

Comments

• GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

Same hair as in my last render - just close up and on a different character. :-)

SurferGirl.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 337K
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,825
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    So, you were working in the clump and tweak panes before going back to the style pane to work with shorter hair.

Were you trying to shorten the hair when it crashed? Were you using the scissors or scale tool? Did you have any curves selected or have any selection groups? Were any of the "show" buttons active - all mesh, follicles, hair, etc?

It would help to know the settings to try to figure out the cause of the crash. For example, during the original beta, if "show follicles" was turned on when you switched panes you would get a crash but not if follicles was turned off.

Just to clarify, when I mentioned the beta, I was referring to the original beta series before version 1.0 - that is what you would have bought. There is also a version 1.1 beta available for registered users at futurebiscuit's site. It added a couple of extra tools but did not change anything that is in the original version 1.0 so there are no "bug fixes" that would address this problem.

..I had "All Mesh" and "Hair Density" views active.

I really need to work with the tutorials up, however I have a very slow connection which isn't good for streaming video files (lots and lots of frequent and annoying buffering pauses, and to fully load say 3 to 5 min of video can take upwards of 15 - 20 min).

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited December 1969

Sunday night my daughter stopped by to pick up some stuff. She is at college. She tuned on the TV and watched Disney's 'Tangled', a sort of Rapunzel remake released in 2010. The thing I noticed was the hair. The main characters had hair that looked very similar to Garibaldi Express hair, but with dynamics so it bounced around when they animated the character. Tangled was made by Disney and not Pixar, but they clearly had some good hair animation software and a lot of computers.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Gone said:
    So, you were working in the clump and tweak panes before going back to the style pane to work with shorter hair.

Were you trying to shorten the hair when it crashed? Were you using the scissors or scale tool? Did you have any curves selected or have any selection groups? Were any of the "show" buttons active - all mesh, follicles, hair, etc?

It would help to know the settings to try to figure out the cause of the crash. For example, during the original beta, if "show follicles" was turned on when you switched panes you would get a crash but not if follicles was turned off.

Just to clarify, when I mentioned the beta, I was referring to the original beta series before version 1.0 - that is what you would have bought. There is also a version 1.1 beta available for registered users at futurebiscuit's site. It added a couple of extra tools but did not change anything that is in the original version 1.0 so there are no "bug fixes" that would address this problem.

I really need to work with the tutorials up, however I have a very slow connection which isn't good for streaming video files (lots and lots of frequent and annoying buffering pauses, and to fully load say 3 to 5 min of video can take upwards of 15 - 20 min).

Hair Density?

Do you mean "Show Hair" or "Show Hair with Widths" - possibly with the slider at 100%? In any case, I don't see anything that would trigger a crash. I assume you also have "Show Curves" on (shows the blue hair) since this is what you are styling in the style pane.

edited December 1969

mark said:
    Sunday night my daughter stopped by to pick up some stuff. She is at college. She tuned on the TV and watched Disney's 'Tangled', a sort of Rapunzel remake released in 2010. The thing I noticed was the hair. The main characters had hair that looked very similar to Garibaldi Express hair, but with dynamics so it bounced around when they animated the character. Tangled was made by Disney and not Pixar, but they clearly had some good hair animation software and a lot of computers.

You do know that Disney bought Pixar back in 2006, right?

Back on page 27, KibbyCabbit has a "Tangled" inspired render.

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    mark said:

You do know that Disney bought Pixar back in 2006, right?

Back on page 27, KibbyCabbit has a "Tangled" inspired render.

I knew that Disney bought Pixar, but somehow I thought it was more recent!

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Gone said:

Hair Density?

Do you mean "Show Hair" or "Show Hair with Widths" - possibly with the slider at 100%? In any case, I don't see anything that would trigger a crash. I assume you also have "Show Curves" on (shows the blue hair) since this is what you are styling in the style pane.
    ...blasted connection reset just killed my response again (like I mentioned I have a fairly slow unstable connection).

Yes, I had Show Curves turned on as well as Show Hair to see how the different tools affected the hair again as no error reporting dialogue appeared after the crash, I had no logfile or diagnostics to look at to try and determine what may have caused the crash.

Beforehand, i had 4.5 crash several times while I was working on a scene but attributed that to the fact if had over 160 objects.

Since then I have upgraded the drivers for my GPU (originally it only supported OGL 2.1) and wonder if that may also have contributed to the crashes if i was pushing limits wit the settings.

I still remember something about "Density" relating to several view or tool settings, but would need to open the plugin to see what it affected. Currently I am on another project so I cannot open up the plugin at the moment.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

What about downloading them and then watching offline?
    http://www.share-tube.eu/

edited December 1969

Well, if it is a driver related issue then I'm completely in the dark.

All I can tell you is that I'm on an older Core2 Quad, Vista 64 bit, with an nVidia 8500 GT that has OGL 2.1 support. As far as DS goes, it runs fine and very rarely crashes. The only time Garibaldi crashed DS was during the original beta period. Since the commercial release it's been rock solid.

edited December 1969

...I have a feeling it had more to do with 4.5 than with the Garibaldi Express based on the crashes I had with the other scene I was working on. I have plenty of RAM, a GPU that can handle large textures and the file for that scene was only 4MB in size. I've worked on scenes 6 - 8 times that with no issues.

Just tonight I was working up my Leela character with Teen Julie when all of a sudden the lip geometry looked off and the mat for the tip of the nose was darker than the rest of the figure. I had to delete the figure and start all over again. Also having issues wit the Undo not undoing certain moves like after adding texture maps (which normally can be undone).

Just had 4.5 crash again moments ago. Seems I am running into some kind of instability issue in the Application itself.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

Is this plugin difficult to learn? I'm planning on getting LAMH for animal renders and maybe this for human hair. Is it similar to the poser hair room or Carrara hair?

edited December 1969

I thought it absolutely easy to learn ...
    I watched the video and was ready to create some hair:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lSbBIDQeqs

Of course there are a lot of things for finetuning that are not in a basic video, but you can see the workflow.

edited December 1969

dkgoose said:
    Is this plugin difficult to learn? I'm planning on getting LAMH for animal renders and maybe this for human hair. Is it similar to the poser hair room or Carrara hair?

This is never an easy question to answer since things that some people find easy others can make no sense of.

Like Kerya, all I did was watch the video and away I went. There is an old beta thread where lots of ideas and information were exchanged and many of the tips from there got carried over to this thread.

I also have LAMH and, like most things, there are some things I like better in LAMH and some I like better in Garibaldi. For the most part, I find the Garibaldi interface to be more intuitive and intigrates better with DS. But that's just me - others have said they prefer the LAMH interface and can't get comfortable with Garibaldi.

I've never used Poser so I can't comment on the hair room but much of what I learned in Carrara is similar.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

I watched the video without sound, I guess it looks like it could be easy, just time consuming. I'm debating on getting this or LAMH first, I know LAMH does have presets available for download for quite a few of the animals, but this is on sale, and looks like fun. It at least looks easier than PhilC's hair designer and poser.

edited December 1969

..so, went to the site but all the vids except the Daz Studio Integration one had a strikethrough on the link.

With YouTube vids, all I can do is add them to "My Favoruites" so they are of little use since I can only view them while at a hotpot because of my connectivity.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ..so, went to the site but all the vids except the Daz Studio Integration one had a strikethrough on the link.

With YouTube vids, all I can do is add them to "My Favoruites" so they are of little use since I can only view them while at a hotpot because of my connectivity.

Maybe you didn't see my message ...
    What about downloading them and then watching offline?
    http://www.share-tube.eu/

edited December 1969

One of the mysteries of using Garibaldi Express is getting the hair color you want. The hair turns out looking lighter than the colors you set in the Garibaldi editor. I thought I would share all the settings I used for a hair. I'm hoping other people can learn from this, and more knowledgeable people will point out settings that could improve the hair.

This hair could use some more styling work, and the dress does not fit very well, but that is beside the point. Here are the settings I used in the Garibaldi Editor:

Distribution Settings:
    Amount 350
    Texture: Hair Density
    Seed: 0

Width Settings:
    Base; 0.008
    Tip: 0.006

Colour Settings:
    Base: 120, 45, 5
    Tip: 132, 47, 5
    Texture: none
    Root Dark 0.120
    Blend Bias 0.100

Colour Saltings Settings:
    Min: 0.050
    Max: 0.150
    Amount: 0.100

Colour Peppering Settings:
    Min: 0.080
    Max: 0.220
    Amount: 0.100

Clump:

Clump1 Settings:
    Strength: 0.0
    Bias: 0.75
    Amount: 2.00

Clump2 Settings:
    Strength: 0.00
    Bias: 0.85
    Amount: 10.00

Tweak

Random Length Settings:
    Max Length: 0.00

Reduce Length Settings:
    Length: 0.0

Random Root Angle Settings:
    Pitch: 0.0
    Roll: 0.0
    Yaw: 0.0

Scraggle1 Settings:
    Apply: clump Curves 2
    Frequency: 0.10
    Advanced:
    Feq Depth: 1
    Feq Ratio: 0.5
    Feq Mult: 2.00

Scraggle2 Settings:
    Apply: Before clump 1
    Frequency: 1.00
    Advanced:
    Feq Depth: 1
    Feq Ratio: 0.5
    Feq Mult: 2.00

Frizz Settings:
    Base: 0.00
    Tip: 0.00

In the Surface Tab I am using mostly default settings, except for:

Primary Specular (R):
    R Intensity: 0.5
    R Colour Blend: 0.50

Secondary Specular (TRT):
    TRT Intensity: 0.40
    TRT Colour Blend: 0.95

And here is a render of the hair using Uber Area Lights.

Paris_RedHair_01.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 563K
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much for sharing your settings!

edited December 1969

The hair coming out lighter than expected is mostly due to the secondary specular colour. I normally set this to a shade slightly lighter than the tip colour. Depending on the effect I want, I may change the primary specular colour - but usually leave it at full white.

You may also want to play with the longitudinal width setting in the speculars. Reducing the width can have some nice effects.

If you are doing a close up render - especially with back light - then you should turn on the translucent (it's 0.0 strength by default) and set a colour close to the tip colour. Keep in mind that turning on translucent may slow down the render time.

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    The hair coming out lighter than expected is mostly due to the secondary specular colour. I normally set this to a shade slightly lighter than the tip colour. Depending on the effect I want, I may change the primary specular colour - but usually leave it at full white.

I experimented a lot with doing that. It works fine, but I think you can do the same thing by increasing the color blend. I'm not sure what the trade off is between using color blend vs changing the color.

Gone said:

You may also want to play with the longitudinal width setting in the speculars. Reducing the width can have some nice effects.

Do you recommend changing the width of the primary or secondary.specular?

If you are doing a close up render - especially with back light - then you should turn on the translucent (it's 0.0 strength by default) and set a colour close to the tip colour. Keep in mind that turning on translucent may slow down the render time.

There are the opacity settings in the general section, the transmission intensity/color, and the TransmissionHitMode parameter in the advanced section. I am not clear how all these interact. Do you have to reduce the opacity from the default value to say 0.6 or 0.7 for transmission to work? The documentation on the Garibaldi site now says the opacity setting only matters if you change the hit mode mode parameters to Shader. If I leave the opacity at 1.0, the TransmissionHitMode at Primitive, and increase the TT Intensity to 0.3 or 0.4 that will let light pass through the hair?

edited December 1969

The blend slider blends the specular colour with the colour specified in the base/tip colour of the distribution workspace. So, if you have a dark brown hair colour being blended with the default white, you just get light brown hair - possibly muddy and washed out. Using a colour similar to the hair colour will give you a richer more saturated colour.

Primary specular is the "hot" highlight. If you look at a traditional hair map, there is usually a couple of parallel bands of lighter colour in the texture map. These a simulating what you get from primary specular. Longitudinal shift/width do what they say but it isn't readily apparent what that means. Shift will cause the highlight to move closer/further from the hair tip. Width changes the width of the highlight to make it sharper/softer. I normally leave these at default but you should experiment with them. There will always come a time when you are creating a new image when you may want to control the highlight more specifically.

Secondary specular is more diffuse and tends to affect the whole length of the hair. This is the one that gives you the lighter/washed out look when blended with the default white. Richer shampoo ad type hair will be achieved by working with real colours in the colour channel.

Most of the other settings I normally leave at default as they work quite well. When composing your image, you need to consider lighting, mood, effect you wish to achieve, camera angle, etc and these will guide you as to whether you need to adjust other settings.

A few posts back, Mec4D mentioned that many things can be controlled in the hair without opening the Garibaldi workspace. You can get very dramatic changes just by playing with the specular and render settings.

Here are a couple of quick images to demonstrate. The hair was built with 2 hair nodes. In the first image, the distribution settings are identical for amount, base/tip colour, salt/pepper settings. The specular settings were also set the same and render amount is at the default 100%. Lighting is 3 spotlights each with deep shadow maps - all the same intensity.

In the second image, the only thing changed is the specular and render settings. One node had the specular channels set to red and render set to 25%. The other node had specular set to green values and render set to 300%. Nothing was changed in the Garibaldi workspace. So, I now have 3 variations on the hair with only one setup in the Garibaldi workspace.

Compare2.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 232K
    Compare1.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 237K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,352
    edited December 1969

Finally had a chance to play about with this again. I've come to the conclusion that I'm really not very good at doing hair, but I quite like how this turned out.

For-You.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 156K
  • Swawa3DSwawa3D Posts: 231
    edited December 1969

@scorpio64dragon that thing is cute.

I used Garibaldi for the loin cloth and eyebrows. For details check it out on deviantART: http://swawa3d.deviantart.com/art/Manman-369370343

manman.png
    1920 x 1200 - 3M
    edited May 2013

Gone said:
    The blend slider blends the specular colour with the colour specified in the base/tip colour of the distribution workspace. So, if you have a dark brown hair colour being blended with the default white, you just get light brown hair - possibly muddy and washed out. Using a colour similar to the hair colour will give you a richer more saturated colour.

Primary specular is the "hot" highlight. If you look at a traditional hair map, there is usually a couple of parallel bands of lighter colour in the texture map. These a simulating what you get from primary specular. Longitudinal shift/width do what they say but it isn't readily apparent what that means. Shift will cause the highlight to move closer/further from the hair tip. Width changes the width of the highlight to make it sharper/softer. I normally leave these at default but you should experiment with them. There will always come a time when you are creating a new image when you may want to control the highlight more specifically.

Secondary specular is more diffuse and tends to affect the whole length of the hair. This is the one that gives you the lighter/washed out look when blended with the default white. Richer shampoo ad type hair will be achieved by working with real colours in the colour channel.

Most of the other settings I normally leave at default as they work quite well. When composing your image, you need to consider lighting, mood, effect you wish to achieve, camera angle, etc and these will guide you as to whether you need to adjust other settings.

A few posts back, Mec4D mentioned that many things can be controlled in the hair without opening the Garibaldi workspace. You can get very dramatic changes just by playing with the specular and render settings.

Sorry to take so long replying to this. I have been busy with other things. Finally got back to this.

The image below is a new hair I'm starting to work on. Styling has a long way to go. The base and tip colors in Garibaldi workspace is the same as the hair above:

Colour Settings:
    Base: 120, 45, 5
    Tip: 132, 47, 5

The top left image is a render with primary specular (R) and secondary specular (TRT) both set to 0.0.

The top middle image is with R intensity at 0.5 (I think default is 0.6), the color white and the color blend at 0.5 (I think default is 0.8). These some settings I settled on some time ago. Mostly I felt that the narrow specular highlights should be more white, so I reduced the color blend from 0.8 to 0.5.

The top right image has the secondary specular added with intensity 0.4. I think the default is 0.6, but that seems like too much to me. The TRT color is white with blend at 0.7. These are the default values. Although the hair is dark red, the R and TRT blending is pulling the hair to more light brown.

Bottom left I am using a TRT color of 145,49,5 which is a little lighter than the tip color, and a blend of 0. This color now completely dominates the hair color. The bottom middle uses the same color with the blend at 0.7. This is more like the color I was trying to achieve. The bottom white has the TRT color at white, but with the blend at 0.95. This is similar to the middle picture.

I think my main take away from this is that TRT color and blend settings are very important to the final hair appearance. You either need to set a color just a bit lighter than the hair color, or you need to use a very high blend, probably between 0.95 and 1.00. The default TRT color and blend makes it hard to achieve good results.

compare2sjpg.jpg
    2000 x 1407 - 895K
    Post edited by mark128 on
    edited December 1969

Well, as I demonstrated in my previous post, the hair colour can be completely altered just by changing the specular colours in the surface tab - particularly the secondary specular - so I would have to agree that these are very important to your hair creation. :-)

My latest play with hair.

DavidTeen.jpg
    1200 x 1800 - 615K
  • foleyprofoleypro Posts: 485
    edited December 1969

I betatested the Plugin and I finally purchased this morning...Cant wait to open the older files and start Playing again...

edited May 2013

Ok here is a beta image that I decided to go Brunette this time...

Kaleasha.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 739K
    Post edited by foleypro on
    edited December 1969

...that's lovely.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...that's lovely.

Thanks now if I could find a free sss mat for Genesis I would have it made...This is Kaleasha morph for Genesis...

• Orion_UkOrion_Uk Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

Hi,

Anyone got any ideas why the plugins not working on my desktop (was for ages) but works on my laptop with same config?

Plz view this vid and hit me back, thanks ;)

Will provide specs (for desktop & laptop) and software/plugin versions on request as I am getting the kids to bed right now, thanks :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5wEvGCT9xY&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: 32bit seems fine, its just the 64bit version of Ds where things wont work :(

DAZStudio_4.5.1.56_Win64
    Intel i7 870/2.93 GHz (DC)
    RAM 16GB
    GTX 660 Ti -2GB (comp mode 3.0)
    Cuda v5.00
    Win7 Ult 64-bit
    Blender 2.66a & Octanerender.v1.20 Plugin
    OR Stand alone V1.10
    OcDS UPDATE v1.0.111.2158
    Poser Pluginv1.11u
    1x1 Infinite Improbability Drive
    ;)