Carrara Challenge #32 They Only Come Out At Night - WIP Thread - Meet Our PA Sponsor, GKDantas!

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited April 2017

Andrew,  Thanks again... I read some docs on VectorStyle2 and came up with the image below from one of my terrains... not quite happy with the strange colors and what appears like pixelization.

Will have to experiment some more. :)

Challenge32_terrain.png
    640 x 480 - 281K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited April 2017

ah It's trial and error - I started doing this last night but realised I was going nowhere...

the one  that reads two colours should read 'three'

vectorstyle.jpg
    4000 x 2000 - 5M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited April 2017

THree days no surf a tooth ache an infected sinus and Carrara ....

This is easy fresnel (shoestring shaders) in the alpha and glow channels - no post work... (Thanks Holly for all your work)

Toonpro lines as well

skel1noalpha.jpg
    1191 x 2000 - 509K

Andrew,  Thanks again!  Did as yours... including ToonPro but still have some playing around with other shader channels to make it decent looking. :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited April 2017

Xerr! heart

nostril glow isn't in the theme?

Post edited by Mistara on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited April 2017

I have started to sketch out an idea I got.

So far I am using Light Cone and Anything Glow.

The UFO is only a preliminary model. Have to do some detailing and grebling on it.

I also have to put in some grass and trees. But I guess HowieFarkes can help with that.

Doc3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1020K
    Post edited by Varsel on

Varsel,  Can hardly wait.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited April 2017

Varsel - I like how that is coming together.  Starfield = yes​.  Is that a background map, or Dartanbeck's starry sky product?  Or something else?

Headwax, Thanks for the fresnel info.  Glowing skeleton is inspiring.  Blockages to your surfing create Carrara tips for me.

I'm having problems with some of the support content for the 3DUniverse figures.  Most of it works as expected, and I have used it before. Usually happy, but I admit I tend to use Toon Gramps the most.  However, having trouble this time around .  In the attached, you can see that the guy's hair and socks are not quite following the figure.  I can easily replace the conforming hair with prop hair, but I may have to make conforming socks/shoes.  I loaded a pic in the backdrop to be a guide for posing the figures.  I also used the vertex modeler to make tables and place settings for the dining area.

Has anyone else had trouble with some of the support assets for the 3DUniverse base toon in Carrara?

aa01 load backdrop to guide poses.JPG
    1529 x 952 - 204K
    aa0 b probs with shoes and hair.jpg
    1496 x 984 - 392K
    aa03 dining sets.JPG
    1525 x 940 - 170K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

I've never used any of the 3DUniverse toon stuff, but I've had that happen with Genesis stuff before.  I thought it was something to do with it being in a group, or the hotpoint getting moved but I'm not sure.  I think I fixed it by just deleting the offending piece and reloading it.

wgdjohn said:

Andrew,  Thanks again!  Did as yours... including ToonPro but still have some playing around with other shader channels to make it decent looking. :)

Pleasure, just put some noise in the shader as well :)

edited April 2017

@Varsel,that's a classic, amazing one image can tell such a good narrative 

@Misty - I hadnt noticed :)

@Diomede, thank you. Yes I have been making everything glow - will do a tree next :)

Your dancing figures - great poses ! Yes I have the figures and same thing happens - a lots of other problems - so I gave up.

There was a recent poster came in and asked same question about the hair - claims to have fixed problem? I'll dig up thread.

cheers :)

edit: looks like the best fix is just parenting it....

see http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/574265/#Comment_574265

edited April 2017

Thanks, Mark, for the suggestion.  I've tried reloading, I've tried adjustng the bone weights, and I looked for a JCM.  Nothing is working.  For the hair, I simply uncomformed it as a figure and then parented it to the head as a prop.  That took care of the hair.  The socks are resisting everything.  I tried deleting and reloading, I tried adjusting weightpaints, and I looked for a joint morph to edit.  No dice.  I think I may have to make my own shoes.  In the attached, you can see the result of deleting and reloading. 

aa04 reload.JPG
    1289 x 798 - 109K
    edited April 2017

sorry Diomede, cross posted :)

have you seen the fix for emperor Ken's birds in Carrara posted by stezza, ?

I wondered if it was worth checking similar for a fix ?

https://community.hivewire3d.com/threads/common-problem-with-sbrm-in-carrara.410/

@Headwax, thanks for the reply.  It is good to know that it is a problem with the shoes, and not something I am doing.  I will consider alternatives.

cross posted again :)

head wax said:

cross posted again :)

Yup.  laugh

Thanks for the link.  I checked the scaling and didn't see anything.  But some commenters suggested that it could be the legacy rigging.  Gave me a couple more ideas to check.  

edited April 2017

Victory is mine!

As per the discussion at the link provided by Headwax, the 3DU rigging is part of the problem.  Here is a workaround that worked in this case, but you would lose joint control morphs and similar extras.  I loaded the shoes geometry in Studio and did the rigging through the transfer utility.  However, I had to load the 3DU base figure first and convert it to triax rigging.

Steps.

- Open studio.

- Load the figure to which the content is to be conformed to.  In this case, it is the 3DUniverse toon base figure.  Zero the pose.

- Use the rigging tool to convert the weightmap to Triax.

- Import the geometry of the figure that is not working, in this case the 3DUniverse aviator shoes.  The aviator shoes obj file is found in the vendor's folder in the runtime\geometries folder where Studio is installed.  Make sure the scale is correct.  Check that the mesh seems to fit the figure in the zero pose.

- Use the transfer utility to convert the shoe mesh to a conforming figure.  Source is the base figure and target is the shoes.

- Select the base figure (not the shoes) and use Save As : Wearable Preset and save to your presets.

- Close Studio without saving the base figure as a triax.

- Open Carrara.  Load the base figure as normal.  Load the converted shoes from the wearable presets.

- Conform as normal.

aa07 victory is mine.JPG
    1518 x 1012 - 175K

The above method would work for the reduced mesh. However, you would lose all the morphs.  Will have to think about other solutions.

head wax said:

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    edited April 2017
    Diomede said:

Varsel - I like how that is coming together.  Starfield = yes​.  Is that a background map, or Dartanbeck's starry sky product?  Or something else?

Headwax, Thanks for the fresnel info.  Glowing skeleton is inspiring.  Blockages to your surfing create Carrara tips for me.

I'm having problems with some of the support content for the 3DUniverse figures.  Most of it works as expected, and I have used it before. Usually happy, but I admit I tend to use Toon Gramps the most.  However, having trouble this time around .  In the attached, you can see that the guy's hair and socks are not quite following the figure.  I can easily replace the conforming hair with prop hair, but I may have to make conforming socks/shoes.  I loaded a pic in the backdrop to be a guide for posing the figures.  I also used the vertex modeler to make tables and place settings for the dining area.

Has anyone else had trouble with some of the support assets for the 3DUniverse base toon in Carrara?

@Diomede, I see the shoes you used I don't have, they must be an add on..

I used the shoes that came with the package and didn't have the issue you had when I just checked it .. all good except for the hair of course..

toonguy.jpg
    514 x 691 - 47K
    Post edited by Stezza on

Should have been more clear.  The outfit is the little aviator's outfit.  Most worked.  It was just the shoes.

https://www.daz3d.com/the-little-aviators

Diomede said:

The above method would work for the reduced mesh. However, you would lose all the morphs.  Will have to think about other solutions.

head wax said:

thanks Diomede :)

Diomede said:

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    head wax said:

Severed man for Genesis maybe?

These killer squirrels only come out at night!

hope you shared that render in am's thread :)

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574

The starfield is the Tycho Starmap from NASA.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/3572

I had to de-gamma it so it could be used in Carrara.

edited April 2017

Thanks for the link Varsel.

Here's a quick cat from the Fresnel set  before I cook dinner... no post work, (I should really read the directions on the Fresnel shader...)

cat.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 525K
    edited April 2017

Dancing in the dark!  Now I just need to combine with my 40s glamorous singer and the nightclub props I modeled.  smiley  Modeled the microphone.  Bugle is the cornet from Carrara native content.

nightclub test.jpg
    640 x 480 - 21K
    Bugle Boy.jpg
    480 x 640 - 21K
    torch singer.jpg
    480 x 640 - 23K
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited April 2017

Ok, here is my try one for the theme. I am not very familiar with Octane render, and it's an issue for me to avoid noise, grain and snow in my picture. So I am still struggling.

The first image is with volumetric, the second one is without.

«Night Huntress»

Huntress01.jpg
    1500 x 906 - 877K
    Huntress02.jpg
    1500 x 906 - 606K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
    edited April 2017

Vyusur - thanks for posting the difference.  I don't have Octane, but have considered it.  What does "volumetric" mean in this context?

I have now started to assemble my elements.  This is the first layer, done with the NPR render engine.  It is only the outline mode.  I have outline set to white and the paper color set to black.  I plan to put this in as background for the next image, which will mostly be text.

swinging in staright background 2.jpg
    1480 x 1973 - 201K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited April 2017
    MDO2010 said:

I'm not sure if I will enter this one - not being able to do even simple color and light corrections post-render means doing dozens of test renders and on my slow old laptop that's a real time killer when I only have a few hours a week to spend on my art hobby.  

Below is what I have now, but I am not sure how far I will pursue it.

The bats were just made roughly in the vertex modeller by extruding a few pieces from a low-poly vertex sphere, then deleting two spots and putting in spheres for the eyes.  Fur is Carrara dynamic hair. The ceiling is vertex object and the floor is a terrain.  The mid-ground bats are replicated on an invisible plane. The distant back-lighting uses a light cone and the render has a 20% toon effect on it (render without the toon affect is also attached).

Believe me when I tell you there are ways to get fast renders out of an old computer.

First of all, are you using any kind of GI, such as the Skylight or Indirect Light? If so, don't. Use the regular lighting to get the effect you want. Also, if you are using soft shadows, turn them off until you have lights set up the way you want.

Do use rim lights and such to seperate the subject from the background. Depending on the scene, use colored lights at normal brightness (or slightly reduced) to suggest a night scene without making the scene muddy.

A couple examples of what I'm talking about. I did use post effects in some of these, but not for the lighting. Strong and crisp shadows can sometimes set the mood for a night picture, or even provide seperation and drama.

city planet.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 357K
    Into the Mealstrom.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 139K
    Up in the Sky.jpg
    2048 x 1280 - 137K
    War of the worlds.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 289K
    Post edited by evilproducer on