Carrara Challenge #32 They Only Come Out At Night - WIP Thread - Meet Our PA Sponsor, GKDantas!

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,702
    edited April 2017
    MDO2010 said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Bogeyman. YAToon filter.

Scarey - I had major nightmares about creatures at the foot of the bed when I was a kid.

I wonder if it would be scarier if the point of view was from near the head of the bed looking down the length ofthebed at the bogeyman just coming up over the foot?  Just a thought, feel free to take it or leave it. smiley

Bed rotated 90 degrees, NPR render.

Bogeyman03.png
    800 x 600 - 356K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Thanks Antara. I have been contemplating this for a couple years, but never got around to trying it until now. I have been considering seeing how it would animate...

I also must have posted the larger size render in the wrong thread. This is what rendered last night. I coud add morphs to the vertex object to move it, but actually a rig may be more flexible... Also, there are no shaders because it uses the fire primitive and some spot lights. The trick to animating the borealis is not only the movement of the wave ribbon, but also the movement of the fire primitive. I think that given time, it could work.

EP looks great !!!!!!!

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Antara said:

I am just dropping by to say Hi! :) I think I will sit this one out, although I do like the theme a lot! No multi-pass compositing is sort of a deal breaker for me. Without it I don't see much point in rendering within Carrara, I use the multi-pass compositing even when I do the NPR renders - it makes life so much easier. But I do understand the intention behind the restricion, so this is not a complaint, just an explanation for why I am not jumping in with my own entries.

Thanks for the good words about the theme.  I hope you change your mind about entering!

I am finding that compositing in Carrara's shader channels is incredibly fun.

Antara said:

Bunyip02, your toon dancers/singers are a delight! yeslaugh

That was Diomede who did the dancers, btw.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited April 2017

Hello Antara and EvilProducer!

Happy to see familiar and inspiring artists posting.  I still rummage through my bookmarks for your tips and instructions.  If you have lived in the South for a good stretch (as I have), then please translate "your" as y'all's.  wink

Thank you, Bunyip, for identifying the typo.  Will address in an update.  Similarly, I will make sure to address the blue coloring as several people noticed.  I also intend to use a 2nd related render blended in the texture channels to divide the poster in thirds and enhance the title with a moon background.  But, the image is close to finished.  I am considering a couple of ideas for a second image but may not get to it.  We will see.

EP, the northern lights render is a great idea with great execution.  Wonderful tribute.  yes

Namtar - I wish I could give you more constructive suggestions than yesyesyes​, but I just love that image as it is.

Bunyip - love your image as it is.  However, is it your intention to not have shadows where your figure is squatting?  If so, maybe use a render to give some emphasis to the figure's outlines?  If not, maybe use a shadow catcher, or place another light, or...  I am rambling.

Unified Brain - thank you for your frequent monitoring of the WIP thread and other coordinator duties.  Doing a good job.  yes​  If people have not done so already, I encourage folks to check out the Art Studio thread that UB has been maintaining. It is good visibility for Carrara, especially timed with headwax's NPR contributions.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/161086/carrara-challenge-32-they-only-come-out-at-night#latest

Post edited by Diomede on

Bunyip - update - regarding the shadows where the figure squats.  Do you have the box for shadows chacked in the NPR render?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

A screen shot showing the layout of my scene. The terrain is 500' x 500'. The bounding boxes way up in the air, are my northern lights. I've been working on the lighting to add seperation to the terrain elements.

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 8.49.46 PM.png
    2478 x 1566 - 350K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    Bunyip02 said:
    MDO2010 said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Bogeyman. YAToon filter.

Scarey - I had major nightmares about creatures at the foot of the bed when I was a kid.

I wonder if it would be scarier if the point of view was from near the head of the bed looking down the length ofthebed at the bogeyman just coming up over the foot?  Just a thought, feel free to take it or leave it. smiley

That's a perfect balance Bunyip :)

@Evil, good to see you using your brains :)

Diomede said:

Bunyip - update - regarding the shadows where the figure squats.  Do you have the box for shadows chacked in the NPR render?

Good call, that was indeed the problem !!!!!!

head wax said:

That's a perfect balance Bunyip :)

@Evil, good to see you using your brains :)

Thanks Headwax. Took a bit to get it looking right.

Bunyip02 said:
    Diomede said:

Good call, that was indeed the problem !!!!!!

You can use a different brush for the shadows than for the main elements (eg. diffuse).  If you just want a subtle shadow then use a spotty brush or reduce the thickness and length under the shadow tab in the NPR box.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited April 2017

Very cool render Folks!  I've nothing close to the excellent renders yawl all are creating but I am learning a few things I'd never seriously played with before.

Well... I've been alearn'n... the first image is NPR and the 2nd image is VectorStyle2, four colors... I need to adjust my line thicknes for 2nd image.  In both images the background is a vertex cube... the NPR has a shader of mine on it which shows up... the VectorStyle2 only shows blue... wonder if I can do something about that... hmmmm.

Challenge_32_terrain 04_npr.png
    640 x 480 - 437K
    Challenge32_Terrain_bkgnd_4colours.png
    800 x 600 - 67K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on

The Vesctor style one looks good. Who knows how to pick the colours though!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Could the colours in the terrain shader settings be switched... hmm will have to try.  Note that VectorStyle2 does render in Carrara when exported I had to convert to .png... guess it's still no postwork since I didn't change any settings or do compositing for the image.   Will also have to experiment with my Font Object signature... may have to convert to vertex object.

• namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 239
    Diomede said:

Namtar - I wish I could give you more constructive suggestions than yesyesyes​, but I just love that image as it is.

Thank you very much! I`m still adding many details, i hope the final work will be much better :D

edited April 2017

Here's a couple straight out of the box. I used the Location shader from Shoestring to cut Michael Model down the middle cleanly.

I've had it for a few years but finally had a serious play with it http://www.des-web.net/html/location.html ;

It has a randomiser for the join so the transition isnt so abrupt but I couldnt get it to work yet.

One renders in Toon1Part11 combined with ToonPro lines.

Another is  the straight render

The next is the striaght render with toon pro lines.

Then comes Fresnel, then Fresnel with ToonPro Lines (not made large)

The worked up ones are here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2321376/#Comment_2321376

grassphotonmap.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 2M
    grass.jpg
    2000 x 2667 - 2M
    ToonPro.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    fresnel.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 1M
    FresnelToonPro.jpg
    1500 x 2000 - 2M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 239
    head wax said:

Here's a couple straight out of the box. I used the Location shader from Shoestring to cut Michael Model down the middle cleanly.

I've had it for a few years but finally had a serious play with it http://www.des-web.net/html/location.html ;

It has a randomiser for the join so the transition isnt so abrupt but I couldnt get it to work yet.

One renders in Toon1Part11 combined with ToonPro lines.

Another is  the straight render

The next is the striaght render with toon pro lines.

Then comes Fresnel, then Fresnel with ToonPro Lines (not made large)

The worked up ones are here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2321376/#Comment_2321376

Just amazing! thanks for share!

edited April 2017

I decided to do something different for me, a portrait.  Used NPR for V4, and made a custom texture overlay (non-NPR) for compositing in Carrara..

Lady of the Evening (WIP)

Image 1 is the photoreal version with a low res lightning background

Image 2 is the NPR version.  Hid the eyelids in the mesh (thanks Diomede!) to lessen the dark eye circles.  I did not check the "use object color" box, as I wanted to see what could be done with just a few colors.  Basically, it means only having 3 colors diffuse, highlight, and shadow.  However, by a happy circumstance, the dress I picked did not use diffuse, but rather used the paper color!  So I had the option for 4 colors (but used 3 anyway).  I tried several other dresses, but they all were colored by diffuse.  If anyone understands why this dress (V4 Party Dress) uses the paper color instead of diffuse, please let me know.  One of the mysteries of Carrara's NPR engine.

Love those brushes, and occasionally painting outside the lines!  And I simply used the default brush setting.  So many other possibilities.

Image 3 is the overlay constructed by replicating primitive spheres using a surface replicator to resemble a star field, and a lens flare also surface replicated.  The possible variations in Carara for this type of thing are endless.

Images 2 and 3 were composited in the Carrara shader room on a single plane.  Thank you Diomede for telling me this technique as well.  It was so obvious, but I never thought of it.  One nice thing about a plane is that it loads and saves in 2 seconds, and it is relatively easy to adjust the brightness in different parts of the image.  Just shine a light on it!

I also added a bump texture to the composite, for a semi-canvas look.  Not entirely happy yet, so I am still experimenting. 

EDIT - decided against the nonnative canvas look and went with a native cellular texture instead.

LOTE Photo real version.png
    1200 x 1733 - 911K
    LOTE NPR.png
    1200 x 1733 - 3M
    Star texture2d.png
    1000 x 800 - 902K
    LOTE Composite.png
    1200 x 1733 - 3M
    Carrara NPR settings (added shadows later).PNG
    1301 x 879 - 1M
    LOTE NPR1.png
    1200 x 1733 - 2M
    LOTE cellular.PNG
    1916 x 881 - 327K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

UnifiedBrain, very impressive!

Thanks Vyusur!  Still so much room for improvement. But this sure is fun!

edited April 2017
    Diomede said:
    Unified Brain - thank you for your frequent monitoring of the WIP thread and other coordinator duties.  Doing a good job.  yes​  If people have not done so already, I encourage folks to check out the Art Studio thread that UB has been maintaining. It is good visibility for Carrara, especially timed with headwax's NPR contributions.

Diomede, I really appreciate it.  If artists want to post their own images over there (rather than have me do it) please feel free!

The timing between this Challenge (with an NPR category), and Head Wax's awesome NPR examples and encouragement to try NPR, has been a coincidence, and I feel lucky to be a part of it.

Diomede said:

I forgot to add - Diomede, your continuing maintanance and updating of the previous Carrara Challenge threads is also much appreciated.  Those threads are an invaluable resource.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited April 2017

Going Batty. Toon! part III render

thanks @namtar3d  :) lot of fun

@UB the image is starting to look classic.

Maybe their is some transparency in the dress - easisist way is to sit down and render out a sphere with differnt transparencies? Could also be the highlight on the dress? It

's very sparkly.

@Bunyip, that;s a great choice of subject for NPR !

edited April 2017

Nice work everyone! Sorry I have been just popping in and leaving my comments my scene. I feel bad because it seems like it is all, me, me, me! I have been very impressed with what everyone has been doing. My problem is time- or lack of it, as the case may be. New tasks at work and mandatory overtime, plus my theatre group and a paying video project have been sapping my free time.

Anyway, back to me, me, me, again! wink

I have added some more light to provide some highlights in the scene to help minimize the muddiness and emphasize the seperation of objects.

Northern Lights.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 1M
    Post edited by evilproducer on

Anyway, back to me, me, me, again! wink

Just happy you are here.  Lights are looking good!

edited April 2017
    Bunyip02 said:
    MDO2010 said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Bogeyman. YAToon filter.

Revamped to coming over the end of the bed.

Bogeyman04.png
    800 x 600 - 323K
    Bunyip02 said:
    Bunyip02 said:
    MDO2010 said:
    Bunyip02 said:

Bogeyman. YAToon filter.

@Bunyip02, your picture looks like a real painting (oil or acrylic). Great! Would you be so kind to share your NPR settings please? Or at least, what kind of brush strokes do you use?

Vyusur said:

@Bunyip02, your picture looks like a real painting (oil or acrylic). Great! Would you be so kind to share your NPR settings please? Or at least, what kind of brush strokes do you use?

Hello Vyusur, thanks was trying for a painted look with this one.

NPR settings were default apart from the shadow which used the Brush Drawing Sponge Stroke at 37 percent intensity and transperancy. Did a screen dump of the settings so you can check as well.

Very nice work by you both here at DAZ and in your fine art gallery as well !!!!!!

Regards, Bunyip

Bogeyman NPR settings.png
    1925 x 1044 - 585K
    edited April 2017

Very nice, Bunyip.  Thanks for the settings.  Here is the start of another thought.

gun try 1.jpg
    640 x 853 - 54K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Thank you very much, Bunyip02, for the settings and for your comment!

The nice thing about a replicator is that you can hide the original object, and still have the visible replications. However, I have discovered that it doesn't work with light effects. That is why I wasn't getting the light cones. I had hid the original light. Once the original light was made visible, all the light effects worked. It is kind of annoying, because sometimes you want the effects but don't want an errant effect or light. I suppose the lights could be elevated to master objects, but that defeats the purpose of replications.