Studio Help in Saving Only Part of a Figure (eg head) but Keeping Morphs and Rigging

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Hi, I wondered if someone could point me to a step by step for this - if it's possible in Studio.

Basically I'd like to take a head and neck from a character and delete the rest of it

I take it that I :

export it as eg an obj

then bring it back in to Daz Studio and

transfer the rigging and morphs back to this reduced OBJ from the original figure.

I used to do it in Poser but not sure how to do it in Studio.

thanks in advance :)

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• asymptoteasymptote Posts: 29

If you hide the nodes you don't want only visible meshes are exported, I just did this for a small animation using just the left arm, not sure about obj, but fbx exports the full rig and visible mesh only.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

thank you for that asymptote,

obliged for your response - I;ll give it a try

cheers

:)

np, I'm probably not the best person to ask, I only use this software at a clients request and kick and scream all of the way. frown

I have just started myself :)

the only silly question is one that doesnt get asked !

I'm not talking about silly questions, more like silly workflows with complete lack of features and next to no development of the current ones, I keep forgetting this is hobbyist software that tries it's best to look professional.

edited April 2017

Well I dont have experience of professional packages  :) I think I would be lost.

I tried your suggestion and it worked well but when I bought the FBX back in to studio I couldnt find the morphs though the rigging was still intact.

I just read a little about the transfer utiity and it seems it might do the job

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/action/index/dztransferutilityaction/start

let you know :)

Ah right, looks interesting so in theory it's possible, in practice it might have you tearing your hair out, I'd be interested to hear how you got on and expect a detailed narrated video tutorial of the entire process if you were successful. ;)
    From experience this software gets you 80% of the way pretty quickly and the precedes to slowly drive you insane for the last 20%, reaching 100% is never a guaranteed outcome.

Well I tried it and, so far, no luck and no joy :) ! Bones work fine - still no morphs :(

Told you :p

Yes!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,816
    edited April 2017

Would this product work for you?

For Genesis

Severed Man

Killer Squirrels.jpg
    800 x 600 - 300K
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited April 2017

thanks Stezza :)  I am looking to export parts of non human creatures :) (not claiming Genesis is human or anything)

ha ha great render by the way, that's one big rat too!

I moved it to the Nuts and Bolts forum in search of more help. Thanks in advance.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited April 2017

I do not clear remember, it can keep all morph as same as before to adjust value,, after you save it as subset etc,,

but you can use geometry editor,

1 set current tool as geometry editor. with open tool setting tab.

2 select poligons which you need not first.(I use rasso selection and symmetly option first) , or you can select poligons which you hope to remain, and invert selection.

3  hide selected poligons. (those poligons will be deleted) from option menu of tab. or r-click in the 3d view, then geometry visiblity>hide selected poligons.  (You can use invert hide poligons too)

4  confrim,, your selection is right, then this time, geometry editting>delete hidden poligons.

5 it may take time to circulate,, and sometimes ds crush, but you can delete poligons with keep rigs,  and about current scene, all morph work of the remain parts, work as same as before (you can adjust head moprhs and change shape too, though I did not remember,, ERC or other controller work or not,,) 

6  I may plan to save it as new figure,,,  I may test what option will be lost,when saved,, , but you can try it too as test. and it may help you lot I think for your purpose.

cutgeometry.JPG
    1256 x 824 - 123K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526

Good news, (I usually afraid it may lost many morphs and preset,, etc,, ) but now I test with G3M ,then saved it as new figure,

it seems keep all morphs about head,, with expression,, then I believe most of mat and pose preest may work too. (UV and surface group keep as same as before,, )

unfortunatley I seldom get G3M product,, then not test with many preest for g3m though,, it seems work well than I expected before,,

save it as figure, seems all morphs after you delete poligons with eiditor,, which change geometry (you drastically cut geomeatry,,)  can save as new morph with default name,,

(though of course you lost morphs about deleted shape,,even though there is controller (maybe empty) I feel)

I may try re-open DS and reload the head figure,, too,, (Actually it beyond my expectationcheeky I may play more,,thank you)

cut out morphs.JPG
    1529 x 869 - 255K

1 set current tool as geometry editor. with open tool setting tab.

2 select poligons which you need not first.(I use rasso selection and symmetly option first) , or you can select poligons which you hope to remain, and invert selection.

3  hide selected poligons. (those poligons will be deleted) from option menu of tab. or r-click in the 3d view, then geometry visiblity>hide selected poligons.  (You can use invert hide poligons too)

4  confrim,, your selection is right, then this time, geometry editting>delete hidden poligons.

5 it may take time to circulate,, and sometimes ds crush, but you can delete poligons with keep rigs,  and about current scene, all morph work of the remain parts, work as same as before (you can adjust head moprhs and change shape too, though I did not remember,, ERC or other controller work or not,,) 

6  I may plan to save it as new figure,,,  I may test what option will be lost,when saved,, , but you can try it too as test. and it may help you lot I think for your purpose.

@kitakoredaz 

Aha, thank you thank you!

My hat is off to you. It works perfectly :)

And thank you for taking the time to do the thorough step by step.

That's very kind!

regards from Oz

:)