Carrara Challenge #32 They Only Come Out At Night - WIP Thread - Meet Our PA Sponsor, GKDantas!

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

@Vyusur  I quite like the graininess of renders - it adds patina !

@Diomede another brilliant work you are hatching.

@Evil - welcome back! Not to late to get your entry happening :)

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited April 2017

And here I have put the previous render in as a background and then done a Toon Pro filter with the update. 

Poster Toon Render 1.jpg
    1480 x 1973 - 215K
    Poster Toon Render 2.jpg
    1480 x 1973 - 216K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited April 2017

I'm sure I will make some edits before the deadline, but I think this rounds out the basic swing dance club poster concept.  Suggestions welcome, as always.

The stars and the text for "Swinging in Starlight" are vertex objects made using the polyline tool.  The other text objects are simple text objects.  blush

EDIT: Thanks, Headwax, for your comments.

ss01 star mesh.JPG
    1358 x 958 - 103K
    ss02 swinging text mesh.JPG
    1351 x 956 - 117K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040

I'm working on a Northern Lights inspired entry. What I did first was to make a curvy vertex object so that I could replicate the fire primitive on it. The vertex object is hidden. The fire will be part of the northern lights. For the light effect, I am grouping spotlights with the northern lights and using light cones with them. I couldn't use the replicator for the spot lights because the light cone does not work with replicated lights.

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 7.26.43 PM.png
    1848 x 1392 - 315K
    Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 7.34.50 PM.png
    1830 x 1366 - 453K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    Diomede said:

I'm sure I will make some edits before the deadline, but I think this rounds out the basic swing dance club poster concept.  Suggestions welcome, as always.

Very cool!

My only issue is that the blue text is hard to read.

Diomede said:

The stars and the text for "Swinging in Starlight" are vertex objects made using the polyline tool. 

Clever!

• namtar3dnamtar3d Posts: 239
    edited April 2017

Hi all!

My work is inspired by the wonderful book "The Night Land" by William Hope Hodgson.

The Sun has gone out and the Earth is lit only by the glow of residual vulcanism. The last few millions of the human race are gathered together in a gigantic metal pyramid, nearly eight miles high – the Last Redoubt, under siege from unknown forces and Powers outside in the dark. These are held back by a shield known as the "air clog", powered from a subterranean energy source called the "Earth Current". For millennia, vast living shapes—the Watchers—have waited in the darkness near the pyramid. It is thought they are waiting for the inevitable time when the Circle's power finally weakens and dies. Other living things have been seen in the darkness beyond, some of unknown origins, and others that may once have been human.

To leave the protection of the Circle means almost certain death, or worse an ultimate destruction of the soul. As the story commences, the narrator establishes mind contact with an inhabitant of another, forgotten Lesser Redoubt. First one expedition sets off to succour the inhabitants of the Lesser Redoubt, whose own Earth Current has been exhausted, only to meet with disaster. After that, the narrator sets off alone into the darkness to find her love..."  

On my pic you can see a new girl adventurer (in the left) leaving the last redoubt ( the pyramid in the back) to achieve another epic quest. A forgotten devastated city lies beside the great redoubt, abandoned thousands or maybe million of years ago. And one of the terrible giant watchers, (is my wish to add at least another one), hide between clouds and mist. 

There's yet a lot of work to do :D

Nightland2working2.jpg
    1589 x 780 - 211K
    Nightland2working.jpg
    1596 x 776 - 498K
    Nightland2.jpg
    1400 x 900 - 479K
    Nightland2working3.jpg
    1593 x 787 - 258K
    Post edited by namtar3d on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,702
    Bunyip02 said:

Moon changed & Lycan resized. Anything glows used on the Moon.

Very nice!  A definite improvement.

Any way to have the fire reflect light on the beast?

Spotlight added to fire and bulb in fire repositioned. Better result !!!!

edited April 2017
    Diomede said:

Marcus - you can use a gel in the effects tab for the light.  Jamy has started a thread that is related.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/161176/beam-projecteur-avec-faisceaux#latest

Vyusur - thank you for your comments.

MDO - love the bats.  If the render time for the NPR is troublesome, this month's rules allow substituting a glow light or some other light effects.  Hope you enter.

Bunyip - as per another comment, you could put a spotlight by the fire and point at the howler.  Similarly, you could put a low intensiy spotlight behind the scene up by your moon to get some shadows for the moonlight.  Just suggestions.

Headwax - thanks for posting your settings.  You have really inspired interest in Carrara's NPR here and in the Art Studio thread.  I don't have vector style or the DCG toon plugin.  Might have to consider them again.

Diomede, thanks for the feedback. Two spotlights added, one for the fire, and another for the moon. Shadows add more life to the scene. !!!!!!

Lycan 04.png
    1000 x 750 - 962K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited April 2017

I'm working on a Northern Lights inspired entry. What I did first was to make a curvy vertex object so that I could replicate the fire primitive on it. The vertex object is hidden. The fire will be part of the northern lights. For the light effect, I am grouping spotlights with the northern lights and using light cones with them.

Great, I was hoping that someone was going to do something with the Borealis!

I couldn't use the replicator for the spot lights because the light cone does not work with replicated lights.

Well, I had to try it, because I knew that it replicator worked with lens flare, as I am working on an entry which needed it.

Spots using light cone in surface replicator seemed to work for me.  Is this what you mean? (attached)

Light cone in replicator.png
    1200 x 693 - 160K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    head wax said:

THree days no surf a tooth ache an infected sinus and Carrara ....

This is easy fresnel (shoestring shaders) in the alpha and glow channels - no post work... (Thanks Holly for all your work)

Toonpro lines as well

Looks great, will need to give it a try.

Diomede said:

And here I have put the previous render in as a background and then done a Toon Pro filter with the update. 

Diomede love the concept. However, the part of the poster reads "Peggy Leah inging her top hits". Any chance of adjusting the border so it reads singing instead of inging ?

I'm working on a Northern Lights inspired entry. What I did first was to make a curvy vertex object so that I could replicate the fire primitive on it. The vertex object is hidden. The fire will be part of the northern lights. For the light effect, I am grouping spotlights with the northern lights and using light cones with them.

Great, I was hoping that someone was going to do something with the Borealis!

I couldn't use the replicator for the spot lights because the light cone does not work with replicated lights.

Well, I had to try it, because I knew that it replicator worked with lens flare, as I am working on an entry which needed it.

Spots using light cone in surface replicator seemed to work for me.  Is this what you mean? (attached)

Weird, couldn't get it to work for me, and I'm using 8.5. I'll experiment some more.

Bunyip02 said:
    Diomede said:

Marcus - you can use a gel in the effects tab for the light.  Jamy has started a thread that is related.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/161176/beam-projecteur-avec-faisceaux#latest

Vyusur - thank you for your comments.

MDO - love the bats.  If the render time for the NPR is troublesome, this month's rules allow substituting a glow light or some other light effects.  Hope you enter.

Bunyip - as per another comment, you could put a spotlight by the fire and point at the howler.  Similarly, you could put a low intensiy spotlight behind the scene up by your moon to get some shadows for the moonlight.  Just suggestions.

Headwax - thanks for posting your settings.  You have really inspired interest in Carrara's NPR here and in the Art Studio thread.  I don't have vector style or the DCG toon plugin.  Might have to consider them again.

Diomede, thanks for the feedback. Two spotlights added, one for the fire, and another for the moon. Shadows add more life to the scene. !!!!!!

Hey Bunyip, thanks. Sorry I missed your work - the shadows look much better. Maybe you could hit the wolfman with a rim light from behind on that left hand side to pop him out from the shadows ?

edited April 2017

@namtar3d  what a clean render - looks like a book cover in the making, thans for posting the shader settings - I have a little mind vaccum when I saw emission settings - I thought gee, I have been missing that all these years - then I saw 'octane'

@evil, nice start :)

@diomede, ditto on the blue but all else looks supetrbly finished

Post edited by Headwax on
    namtar3d said:

Hi all!

My work is inspired by the wonderful book "The Night Land" by William Hope Hodgson.

Hey Namtar, great to see you back.  Another cool image!

Just one thing, the image you posted in the thread (within the post itself) is wider than accepted by moderators.  When you inset an image, set the width to 800.

We don't want to run afoul of the law. smiley

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2017

Thanks @evilproducer - I'll keep those tips in mind for future renders, but the issue I was talking about for this challenge is that the non-photorealistic renderer runs very slowly on my machine for some reason unless the scene is very simple (slower than I'd expect even taking into account the fact that it is not multithreaded (is that a word?)), so none of those tips apply.  Using the toon filter or just the straight up photorealistic renderer both run fine.  The toon filter though works fine, which is why I used ended up using that instead.

By way of comparison, my final bat render takes just under three minutes using Carrara's default photorealistic renderer, and just a few seconds longer with the toon filter applied to the scene, but the exact same scene using the non-photorealistic renderer with only Outline selected and everything else at default takes 35 minutes. If I remove the replicator and the more detailed terrain it only takes a minute and a half though, which seems like a crazy difference to me, but only I seem to have this issue.  

Also - I love all those images.  I don't think I've seen the "Up in the Sky" one bfore. laugh

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    MDO2010 said:

Thanks @evilproducer - I'll keep those tips in mind for future renders, but the issue I was talking about for this challenge is that the non-photorealistic renderer runs very slowly on my machine for some reason unless the scene is very simple (slower than I'd expect even taking into account the fact that it is not multithreaded (is that a word?)), so none of those tips apply.  Using the toon filter or just the straight up photorealistic renderer both run fine.  The toon filter though works fine, which is why I used ended up using that instead.

By way of comparison, my final bat render takes just under three minutes using Carrara's default photorealistic renderer, and just a few seconds longer with the toon filter applied to the scene, but the exact same scene using the non-photorealistic renderer with only Outline selected and everything else at default takes 35 minutes. If I remove the replicator and the more detailed terrain it only takes a minute and a half though, which seems like a crazy difference to me, but only I seem to have this issue.  

Also - I love all those images.  I don't think I've seen the "Up in the Sky" one bfore. laugh

I don't know anything about computers but maybe you could jack up your cache and see what happens? might not make any difference at all

head wax said:

@namtar3d  what a clean render - looks like a book cover in the making, thans for posting the shader settings - I have a little mind vaccum when I saw emission settings - I thought gee, I have been missing that all these years - then I saw 'octane'

@evil, nice start :)

@diomede, ditto on the blue but all else looks supetrbly finished

Thank you! i know is not allowed postwork, but i want to show you how nice look this with some PS filters: 

namtar3d said:

Hi all!

Hey Namtar, great to see you back.  Another cool image!

Just one thing, the image you posted in the thread (within the post itself) is wider than accepted by moderators.  When you inset an image, set the width to 800.

We don't want to run afoul of the law. smiley

I'm sorry! i was not aware of that. I will fix it.  

Nightlandphotoshopeado800.jpg
    800 x 514 - 179K
    namtar3d said:

Hi all!

The Sun has gone out and the Earth is lit only by the glow of residual vulcanism. The last few millions of the human race are gathered together in a gigantic metal pyramid, nearly eight miles high – the Last Redoubt, under siege from unknown forces and Powers outside in the dark. These are held back by a shield known as the "air clog", powered from a subterranean energy source called the "Earth Current". For millennia, vast living shapes—the Watchers—have waited in the darkness near the pyramid. It is thought they are waiting for the inevitable time when the Circle's power finally weakens and dies. Other living things have been seen in the darkness beyond, some of unknown origins, and others that may once have been human.

To leave the protection of the Circle means almost certain death, or worse an ultimate destruction of the soul. As the story commences, the narrator establishes mind contact with an inhabitant of another, forgotten Lesser Redoubt. First one expedition sets off to succour the inhabitants of the Lesser Redoubt, whose own Earth Current has been exhausted, only to meet with disaster. After that, the narrator sets off alone into the darkness to find her love..."  

On my pic you can see a new girl adventurer (in the left) leaving the last redoubt ( the pyramid in the back) to achieve another epic quest. A forgotten devastated city lies beside the great redoubt, abandoned thousands or maybe million of years ago. And one of the terrible giant watchers, (is my wish to add at least another one), hide between clouds and mist. 

There's yet a lot of work to do :D

Really excellent work!

MDO2010 said:

I must have skimmed over the NPR renderer part of your post. My bad! You are correct, about how stinkin' slow it is. Now that I have a better, more modern computer, I am anxious to try some of the things I avoided in the past. I may even give the NPR a chance.

Here's the borealis in a scene. It's low res right now, but I am going to set Carrara up to render a large sized image, and then go to bed while it renders.

Northern Lights.jpg
    720 x 480 - 208K

Really excellent work!

Thank you very much!

Here's the borealis in a scene. It's low res right now, but I am going to set Carrara up to render a large sized image, and then go to bed while it renders.

A very nice way to use Carrara effects!! I would never think on that!  

edited April 2017

Bogeyman. YAToon filter.

Bogeyman02.png
    800 x 600 - 493K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited April 2017

Sweet. I was kind of thinking about something with the Aurora Borealis - there's an excellent tutorial by Andrew Price for making it in Blender and I think all the techniques transfer to Carrara pretty well, but yours looks better already than what I had in mind. laugh

I must have skimmed over the NPR renderer part of your post. My bad! 

No worries - I probably wasn't clear that I was talking about the NPR. smiley

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    Bunyip02 said:

Bogeyman. YAToon filter.

Scarey - I had major nightmares about creatures at the foot of the bed when I was a kid.

I wonder if it would be scarier if the point of view was from near the head of the bed looking down the length ofthebed at the bogeyman just coming up over the foot?  Just a thought, feel free to take it or leave it. smiley

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139
    head wax said:

Thanks for the link Varsel.

Here's a quick cat from the Fresnel set  before I cook dinner... no post work, (I should really read the directions on the Fresnel shader...)

I think this must belong to Schrödinger?!

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Vyusur - thanks for posting the difference.  I don't have Octane, but have considered it.  What does "volumetric" mean in this context?

@Diomede, thank you for your comment and for the interest. There is volumetric effect in Octane so called «medium». It's nearly the same thing as light cone in Carrara's internal render, but in my humble opinion, it's very difficult to control it. As I discover at the moment, Iray is more simple in use than Octane and it gives more descent results.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited April 2017

@Head wax, thank you for the comment. On the whole I agree with you: tiny amount of noise may add some mystery in the scene. This is another render with some light changes.

Huntress03.jpg
    1500 x 906 - 880K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • AntaraAntara Posts: 444

I am just dropping by to say Hi! :) I think I will sit this one out, although I do like the theme a lot! No multi-pass compositing is sort of a deal breaker for me. Without it I don't see much point in rendering within Carrara, I use the multi-pass compositing even when I do the NPR renders - it makes life so much easier. But I do understand the intention behind the restricion, so this is not a complaint, just an explanation for why I am not jumping in with my own entries.

The work here so far is astounding though! I am truly amazed both at the theme interpretations and the technical mastery and diversity!yesyes

Bunyip02, your toon dancers/singers are a delight! yeslaugh

evilproducer said:

I'm working on a Northern Lights inspired entry. What I did first was to make a curvy vertex object so that I could replicate the fire primitive on it. The vertex object is hidden. The fire will be part of the northern lights. For the light effect, I am grouping spotlights with the northern lights and using light cones with them. I couldn't use the replicator for the spot lights because the light cone does not work with replicated lights.

Now, this has completely blown me away! So so beautiful! I will have to rememeber the trick and replicate it at some point! (unless you kindly decide to share the Northern Lights rig with us after you are done with the challenge... I think it would make for a very cool freebie wink... or even a full-blown product if you add more shader options and morphs + animated morphs to the package... - just a thought... sorry if you consider the suggestion to be out of line.surprise)

edited April 2017

Thanks Antara. I have been contemplating this for a couple years, but never got around to trying it until now. I have been considering seeing how it would animate...

I also must have posted the larger size render in the wrong thread. This is what rendered last night. I coud add morphs to the vertex object to move it, but actually a rig may be more flexible... Also, there are no shaders because it uses the fire primitive and some spot lights. The trick to animating the borealis is not only the movement of the wave ribbon, but also the movement of the fire primitive. I think that given time, it could work.

Northern Lights.jpg
    2000 x 1333 - 1M
    Post edited by evilproducer on