Carrara Challenge #32 They Only Come Out At Night - WIP Thread - Meet Our PA Sponsor, GKDantas!

Comments

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Diomede, very beautiful scenery!

edited April 2017

My third composition is «The Gargoyles of the Baskervilles»

Carrara's native render.

GargoylesBaskervilles7.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 395K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited April 2017

Well here is my first WIP.  There's something not quite right about the composition - suggestions are welcome!

This is a great contest as I've never played with NPR or toon renders before but I'm really liking it!  I'm still working on that one though. 

Darksideofthe earth.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 73K
    Post edited by pnewhook on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    pnewhook said:

Well here is my first WIP.  There's something not quite right about the composition - suggestions are welcome!

This is a great contest as I've never played with NPR or toon renders before but I'm really liking it!  I'm still working on that one though. 

You're off to a great start!

My suggestions would be to dial back the size of sun's lens flare. It overpowers the image with its size and intensity. I might also use a light to shine on the earth/planet from a bit more to the left, to create a more defined crescent where the sun hits the planet. It doesn't have to be "accurate" as it is an artisit's interpretation, but you do want to be subtle about it, so that it still looks justified. I would also use a low intensity light, set to a blue-ish or blue/grey color and shine it on the planet as a fill, so simulate "star shine." The intensity could be as low as 10% or as high as 40%. Kind of depends on what you want for the scene.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802

enjoying seeing everyones work  ... like Vyusur and pnewhook's work... great yes

agree with the evil one on the sun's lens flare... they are tricky ones to get looking just right but it aint far off smiley

• pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited April 2017

Here's another WIP.  Lots to do yet.  Need to fix the tent amd its lighting, maybe add people inside, add detail to the fire and maybe backlight the mountains? I think a few trees around to catch the campfire glow would be good too. 

Here's one of the pics I'm using for my inspiration as well (just Google 'tent milkyway campfire' for more):

Campfire at night.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by pnewhook on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    Vyusur said:

My try two WIP: «They come out»

Carrara NPR render, no post work.

Male clothing was stolen from Michael 4 and re-purposed to G2 base male.

that's a fine effect you have there.

Diomede said:

Nicely done, John.  Thanks for posting the screenshot and highlighting the settings.

Headwax, lots of great little touhes.  I especially like the water reflections.  How long does that take to render?

Working on the background for my angry mob.  Changed the camera angle and added some clouds.  The moon is just a vertex oval.  The sky is a bigradient put in the backdrop channel.

love this scene, you did a good job of the road on the landscape - did you use a layer mask thingy?

my reflections - oh it's a 2000 by 2000 pixel image - took about 5 mins. If my scenes take much longer to render I dump the lighting and start again - it helped taking t he refraction out of the water :)

edited April 2017
    wgdjohn said:

Vyusur,  I had my line thickness at 1.00... thought I had it at 1.50... I corrected my error in earlier post.  I was able to get rid of the jagged edges.

Andrew,  I set Depth Cueing at a lot of various setting with no apparent change to the open areas where lines should be... also changed a lot of other settings and even lights.  Will have to try on a different figure to see if same problems occurer.

I consider it as lineart-like... since it lacks the nice clean lines.  I also noticed some artifacts in the render... perhaps with practice I might get a bit better.

One thing nice is the availability to have a backdrop.  Renders and settings are below...  note the backdrop was the 1st pic I grabbed... just wanted to see what it would look like.

the scene looks good as it is , I'd be pretty happy - good point on the backdrop being rendered , did you hide the girl's eyelashes?

@pnewhook nice start :) I like the campfire idea!

Post edited by Headwax on

@Stezza, @head wax, thank you very much!

pleasure, you need to give us some lessons!

head wax said:

pleasure, you need to give us some lessons!

Thank you once again!smiley

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited April 2017

Been working on my UFO picture. The forrest is HowieFarkes CountryLane, with some modification done to it.

Two Genesises, one male and a female.

Three spotlights with lightcone, and one anything glow.

Thought it was best to let the poor cows have a rest. and find something more interesting to probe .. devil

Doc3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited April 2017

Trying a NPR render as well. As proposed at the start of this tread, and also because I had it in my runtime .... an Owl.

OwlNPR.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 298K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited April 2017

@Varsel, that UFO image is superb. It captures the scene and the atmosphere :)

As far as the owl, great minds think alike! :)

Here's somethin with DOF. The flower patterns on the wall are projected maps - not sure if you can see them. They give texture to the lighting. The owl has a Fresnel thingo attached to its glow shader.

The light cone light is behind the owl in the image - plus there are some starry thingys, plus aura for the glow.

I made the scary bird out of focus following the tactics of scary movie makers...

Doc2.jpg
    2500 x 1250 - 774K
    Post edited by Headwax on

Seems like poor lamb-owl is trying to escape from scary monster-man.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Diomede,  Don't consider my settings as good... at most they are a "starting point"... which will render the pic shown.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

just a quickie.. creepy things that come out at night...

teeth glass1.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 99K

3DAGE, ha-ha-ha! Cool!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082
    edited April 2017

3DAge  - wonderful execution, smiley, but I think Wendy should share any prize for the idea.  wink 

Headwax - RE: the road.  Yes, I laid out the basic heightmap in an image editor, then imported it in Carrara to apply some terrain filters.  I also adjusted that original heightmap image as an opacity mask to apply the shader for the road.  I may also use it as a base for plant replicators if I want a forest.

Varsel - as they say in The Thing from another World, "Watch the sky!!!".  The reflection on the bottom of the UFO is a little strong for my tastes, but it works really well so what do I know.

Pnewhook - great start, anxious to see some of your suggestions (tent?, people? backlighting?...).  Excellent moon.  Makes me realize that I need to add an aura to mine.  yes

Vyusur - thanks for the comment.  Gargoyle glow effects are excellent..  Master's clothes drape very well.  Maybe add a little more tension in the master's pose?    Alternatively, maybe waving gargoyles closer if they are pets?

Post edited by Diomede on

Diomede, thank you for your kind words! It's Carrara's 3d aura above glowing material. As for hounds, I didn't mean them Pets. And the master is calm and relaxed, regardless of the outcome of the upcoming battle.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,082

Ah, I see.  Confidence!  Very good.

Vyusur said:

As for hounds, I didn't mean them Pets. And the master is calm and relaxed, regardless of the outcome of the upcoming battle.

3DAGE said:

never knew you had a sense of humour Andy :)

nice render, the water looks just right :)

Headwax - RE: the road.  Yes, I laid out the basic heightmap in an image editor, then imported it in Carrara to apply some terrain filters.  I also adjusted that original heightmap image as an opacity mask to apply the shader for the road.  I may also use it as a base for plant replicators if I want a forest.

thanks @Diomede :)  

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

yesyes  Great looking renders Folks!

I'm slowly starting to build up a render... going to use Toon III for the background for the line artlike look I have for the character.  I've changed the size of pic before that.... this one has the floor line visibe and a few vertex objs I might use, not happy with the stars idea... will have to see how they and moon look in Toon III filter.

Jasmin_ToonPro_ponder_lineart_11b.png
    1024 x 768 - 143K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Headwax :)

No one was more surprised than I,. but it turns out to be Wendy's sense of humour,. so i can't take credit,.  I can only applogise for accidentally picking up wendy's sense of humour and not realising.

:)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    3DAGE said:

@3DAGE, that is awesome.  Very realistic.

Wendy may have had the idea first, but you nailed the image!

I hope you enter this.

Vyusur said:

My third composition is «The Gargoyles of the Baskervilles»

Carrara's native render.

Vyusur, how do you gets the pants to drape like that?

UnifiedBrain, I didn't drape this pants at all, I simply bought them. Among my recent entries the only thing that I modeled is Gothic Arch Gallery. The process of modeling is here:

@Vyusur - well, thanks.  I must be shopping in the wrong store for pants. smiley

Great gothic modeling, btw.