Carrara Challenge #32 They Only Come Out At Night - WIP Thread - Meet Our PA Sponsor, GKDantas!

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited April 2017

This was my first thought...

So, will you enter a sci fi scene?  Maybe include a prop you are currently working on?

I'm envisioning a werewolf seated on a space toilet, howling at an alien moon.

Am I close? smiley

Edit - sorry, I see that you linked to the space toilet, and didn't design it.  But I'm pretty sure that you are working on some spaceship concepts.  Hope you try one here!

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    edited April 2017
    MDO2010 said:

I'm not sure if I will enter this one - not being able to do even simple color and light corrections post-render means doing dozens of test renders and on my slow old laptop that's a real time killer when I only have a few hours a week to spend on my art hobby.  

Below is what I have now, but I am not sure how far I will pursue it.

MDO, there is way too much good stuff here to ditch this one.  Have you thought of using the bats as a foreground frame for a nasty protagonist in the background?  Maybe it's a cliche, but I'd also like to see the bat's eyes glow.

MDO2010 said:

(render without the toon affect is also attached).

The last two renders looked the same to me.  Am I missing something?

MDO2010 said:

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2017

The two renders attached to myearlier post are pretty close to one another - if you open them each in a separate tab and flip back and forth you can see one is brighter than the other; the only major change was the amount of toon effect.

I like the idea of making the eyes glow - I'll have to play with that. 

Here's an update

• Played some more with the toon settings
    • Added 30% light blue ambient light
    • Added some text - it's a little hard to read maybe (?) so I will have to adjust the shader and maybe add some light to just the text object, but you get the idea I think

Update: Added a glow driven by Sparrowhawke3D's edge falloff shader and some extra lighting to the text.

Render004SetupChange.JPG
    1882 x 956 - 254K
    Render004ToonSetup.JPG
    808 x 895 - 105K
    Render004.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 227K
    Render005.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 251K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

This was my first thought...

So, will you enter a sci fi scene?  Maybe include a prop you are currently working on?

I'm envisioning a werewolf seated on a space toilet, howling at an alien moon.

Am I close? smiley

No. I've just started a new WIP (although I'm yet to cut polys). It'll fit the theme for sure, but it isn't sci fi (that's later in the year).

edited April 2017

Heh!  MDO, getting awesomer by the minute.

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2017

I think I am giving up on the non-photorealistic renderer and switching my experimentation to the toon filter! The NPR renders like molasses on my machine with anything but the most basic scene, but the toon filter takes seconds even on all that fur. laugh

Final render (final with just signature added is visible in my gallery) below.  I took @UnifiedBrain's suggestion and added some red to the eyes. I did it by placing a small reflective red sphere right in front of each eye and then let the toon effect flatten it out a bit. I also replaced the flat plane the background bats were replicated on with a wavy vertex plane and added some more variation to their rotations. The last step was just scaling the text down a little so it didn't crowd the sides so much.

"Bats, Man"

The font for the text is "Face Your Fears" by Hanodedhttp://www.dafont.com/face-your-fears.font in case anyone is curious.

FinalRender.jpg
    1400 x 1050 - 244K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    edited April 2017

MDO, thanks for all those details.

MDO2010 said:

I think I am giving up on the non-photorealistic renderer and switching my experimentation to the toon filter!

I don't want to discourage folks from NPR, but I agree with you that the toon filter is probably easier to use, especially if you can't do multipass.  Still, I really like NPR, especially the brushes and painted look that you can achieve.  Backgrounds in particular are fun to play with.

MDO2010 said:

The NPR renders like molasses on my machine with anything but the most basic scene, but the toon filter takes seconds even on all that fur. laugh

You mentioned that in the other thread.  I have no idea what is going on.  Weirdly, it has not been my experience at all.  Maybe I am keeping the scenes more simple. 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802
    edited April 2017

I have found that replicators slow it down a fair bit..

Here is another one I played around with last night

2 lights... glow channel, translucency, lens flare and light gel was used.

WiP 2Drop Bear.jpg
    1260 x 798 - 163K
    WiP Drop Bear.jpg
    1011 x 696 - 116K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,802

2 lights... glow channel, translucency and light gel was used.

WiP 3Drop Bear.jpg
    1142 x 615 - 97K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,701
    edited April 2017

Decided to add a howler in. Might redo the moon effect.

Lycan 01.png
    1000 x 750 - 1M
    Lycan-Carrara setup.png
    1929 x 1040 - 844K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    Stezza said:

2 lights... glow channel, translucency and light gel was used.

Nice Drop Bear !!!!

edited April 2017

Moon changed & Lycan resized. Anything glows used on the Moon.

Lycan 02.png
    1000 x 750 - 795K
    Lycan-Carrara setup2.png
    1923 x 1044 - 1016K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    Stezza said:

2 lights... glow channel, translucency, lens flare and light gel was used.

So clever!

edited April 2017
    Bunyip02 said:

Very nice!  A definite improvement.

Any way to have the fire reflect light on the beast?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited April 2017

I need a 1940s glamorous singer.  I loaded 3DUniverse toon generations base figure.  Instead of creating, saving, and loading formal morph targets by bodypart, I simply edited the mesh in the vertex modeler.  I then saved the result to my object browser.  The man on the right is the base toon generation figure with some of 3DUniverse's base male clothes.  The figure on the left is my morphed figure with morphed hair and a flower.

EDIT: 1st image is default toon.  2nd image is default NPR.

toon generation morph.jpg
    640 x 480 - 30K
    ss02 morph for singer.JPG
    1506 x 1008 - 173K
    defalt npr render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 26K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,823

only thing I can think of for this theme if I enter is false teeth laugh

th3Digit said:

only thing I can think of for this theme if I enter is false teeth laugh

HAHAHA.  Love it.  Adding it to the list in the thread.

I hope it is more than just funny, and that you actually do it.yes

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Diomede, they are adorable!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited April 2017
    Bunyip02 said:

heart howler
    and wolf hound smiley

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833
    edited April 2017

Lots of great work and interesting renders.

@ Diomede:  I played around tonight with light cones and primitives and I put in some foliage.

I find that a light cone can have two colours.  First is the colour of the light - when you put it in the scene as a spotlight.  The second is when you hit the edit button for the light cone settings.  You can put in a different colour there.  I find that if I tick the box to enable 3d shadows, I get rays rather than a coloured cone.

I remember a long time back that Evilproducer suggested light cones to me but tonight I've had a long play with them.  I've made many renders but here are a few:

EDIT - I think the rays may also depend on shining through the foliage.  I'll check that out tomorrow!

Doc34.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 533K
    Doc40.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 478K
    Doc41.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 474K
    Doc42.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 461K
    Post edited by Hermit Crab on
  • Hermit CrabHermit Crab Posts: 833

I made a quick check before bed - yes, the light shining through the foliage causes the rays.  But I'm pretty sure that the 3d shadows box needs to be ticked.  Earlier tonight I had no rays until I ticked that one.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited April 2017

Nice work Marcus, it's good to sit down and do experiment5s - and then remember how you did it!

The challenge is really humming along :)

Here's stuff from me. I attached a few files for interest. One is a vexctorstyle 2 render. One is a toonpro line render. The other is a non post worked render. I'll stick the postworked renders in other threads. :)

I used Light spheres for the Lamp fitting on the right. A few lights have Lens Flare - the fog is made with a fog tool available here at Daz - just planes that have fog alpha texture. The light shade on the right also has anything glows on ot

\

vectorstyke2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    final.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    toonprofinall.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited April 2017

Two more of the same room, but the proragonists getting a little more intimate.. One render, one toonprorender . The coloured lights courtesy of putting a map in the lighht gel - the face on the carpet near the  tv is just the map projected by a bulb.

I made a mask to go in front of the camera lense to drop the light intensity at the image edges - normally you would do  that in post of course. The flies are from a snow tool that transmaps images to scattered plenes in 3d

The story is....  two Gremlins arguing about what to do with the kid in the corner. The Bunny on the Tv is acting as the aerial. They had a lot of fun running the wire up to his ears I think. Not sure what the bunny thought though...

tvwatching.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    tvwatchingline2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

yes Great Andrew... I never tire or seeing your creative works.

Thank you. It's quite a challenge not doing postwork - it takes much longer to set up  a render !

edited April 2017

Had a serious play with the NPR rendere today. It's pretty easy  to make your own brushes if you want and save them as PNG files. But the included ones arent bad.

Here's the best I could come up with. And the settings if they are of interest.. It makes a useful render pass for post work as far as colour and tone variations.

bestnpr.jpg
    1968 x 1417 - 1M
    thebestnpr.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,081
    edited April 2017

Marcus - you can use a gel in the effects tab for the light.  Jamy has started a thread that is related.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/161176/beam-projecteur-avec-faisceaux#latest

Vyusur - thank you for your comments.

MDO - love the bats.  If the render time for the NPR is troublesome, this month's rules allow substituting a glow light or some other light effects.  Hope you enter.

Bunyip - as per another comment, you could put a spotlight by the fire and point at the howler.  Similarly, you could put a low intensiy spotlight behind the scene up by your moon to get some shadows for the moonlight.  Just suggestions.

Headwax - thanks for posting your settings.  You have really inspired interest in Carrara's NPR here and in the Art Studio thread.  I don't have vector style or the DCG toon plugin.  Might have to consider them again.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

This probably won't get to be an entry, but we'll see how far it gets. Everything will be built from scratch, both set and props.

Let's start with a basic boat. Diomede wrote lots on making boats in a previous contest, see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1336896/#Comment_1336896 and this is done in a similar way.

This is a 15ft motor launch with an outboard motor. I've made my grid 30 inches, so 15ft will need 7 polyline frames (or 6 and a pointy end). I duplicated the frames, so one set will be used to make the hull and the other to make the framing spars. They still need smoothing and finishing, but very quickly we've got the basis of a nice looking boat.

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 15.18.17.png
    1139 x 766 - 62K
    Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 15.19.06.png
    1139 x 766 - 261K
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited April 2017
    head wax said:

Had a serious play with the NPR rendere today. It's pretty easy  to make your own brushes if you want and save them as PNG files. But the included ones arent bad.

Here's the best I could come up with. And the settings if they are of interest.. It makes a useful render pass for post work as far as colour and tone variations.

Thanks so much for posting your settings.  I had no idea that you could use different settings/brushs in each tab.  I've been messing with only the 1st tab with no cool effects.  Suppose I should read the manual on this also.

Diomede said:

Marcus - you can use a gel in the effects tab for the light.  Jamy has started a thread that is related.

Bookmarked... thanks.

Diomede said:
    Headwax - thanks for posting your settings.  You have really inspired interest in Carrara's NPR here and in the Art Studio thread.  I don't have vector style or the DCG toon plugin.  Might have to consider them again.

Thanks for mentioning Vector Style 2 for Carrara... I'll have to track it down and have a play or attempt. Have DCG Toon Pro but have only tried with not much luck... another manual to read. :)

TangoAlpha,  very nice looking boat.

Kewl Stuff be here.  Everyone is doing more that I.... nice work all!

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited April 2017

pleasure diomede and wdgjohn. welcome to the fray Tim ")

Here's two more - npr renders - one has a glow channel whacked on the old guy's face :)

adding a 3d aura didnt make any difference - mustnt have had it jacked up[ enough

also a Vector Style 2 render for interest - one colour - the other settings gave crappy colours 

oldmangraveyardwithaura.jpg
    1422 x 2000 - 2M
    oldmangraveyard.jpg
    1422 x 2000 - 2M
    watchtvbrigh100percentambie.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M