Carrara Challenge #26: “Caustics and Nautical”

chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
edited June 2016 in Carrara Discussion

Carrara Challenge #26: “Caustics and Nautical”

You have been watching your favorite Viking show, dreaming of Viking long boats attacking and raiding other ships..

Are you the Captain of an 1800's British Frigate battling the French or American's or pirates?

Caustics seem interesting?

Can I light an entire scene using on light and caustics?

Your objective should you choose to accept:  Create a scene in which it uses either a Nautical theme or use of Caustics.

Every subject which comes to your mind is allowed, fantasy, steam punk, sci-fi, or whatever floats your Nautical boat. 

The idea is to Create a nautical themed image or an image that uses Caustics.

This also allows any new competitors to have a chance to learn about these wonderful Capabilities of Carrara.

Basic rules will be:

1. Each participant may submit up to 2 images into the Challenge.

2. Images must be new (previously unpublished).

3. Images must be primarily set up in Carrara.

4. Images must be rendered in Carrara or in an external renderer for which there is a Carrara plug-in (e.g. LuxRenderer, Octane).

5. At least one WIP (work in progress) image must be posted to the WIP thread (this can be as simple as the scene setup, a pre/post post-work comparison or just a final image with a brief description of  the process you used or as complex as modeling rooms shots, shader setups or partial scene setups or test renders).

6.  At least one shader must be created for use in Caustics image to utilize Caustics during rendering.

7. For the Nautical themed picture at least one item should be created, retextured or modified in one of Carrara's modelers (vertex, spline, metaball, plant, terrain, particle, etc.).

For new comers it can be as simple as manipulating a shader.

Note: New user is defined as using Carrara for under 6 Months.

Sponsor:

smileysmileysmileysmiley

Once again, Daz will generously sponsor the monthly challenge with the following prizes:

1st Place: $100.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
2nd Place: $ 50.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
3rd Place: $ 25.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s)
Honorable Mention (4th place): $10.00 towards DAZ 3D owned item(s) ( may be used for best new comers).

Great News Tango Alpha Has stepped up to the plate and each of the 1st, 2nd.3rd and HM will get one item from his store.

Thanks Tango Alpha.

Dates to Remember:

WIP Thread Opens: Wednesday 29 Jun, 2016
Entry Thread Opens: Saturday Jul 23, 2016
Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Saturday Jul 30, 2016 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)
Voting Ends: Sunday, Aug 6, 2016 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)

An announcement will be made shortly in forum for The Commons.  Feel free to provide any updates or share there as well smiley

Link to thread in commons:  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/97106/carrara-challenge-26-caustics-and-nautical

Post edited by chickenman on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

great theme chickenman !!! conjours all sorts of ideas

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

smiley time to start modeling a floating fortress.  a basic one.  been formenting in my imagination a while.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,085

Great themes, Chickenman.  And thanks again for hosting.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    edited June 2016

I thought after the last one that the conversation about Caustics would inspire some images and well we all know stezza has a Nautical work going on, I thought I would capitalize on that and also help provide insperation.

Hosting is easy not a big deal. Just have to remember my deadlines.

Post edited by chickenman on
    edited June 2016

decided on catamaran as a starting point reference.   hoping to find a diagram to paste on the modeling room planes

does this look cozy?  lol

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited June 2016

Misty - Looks like an excellent project.  This website has some diagrams to go with their pictures.  See the linked pdf files.  http://www.f-boat.com/pages/catamarans/index.html May or may not be useful for you.   http://www.f-boat.com/pdf/F-44RSailPlan.pdf

I am trying to figure out how to make the wake of a boat if I use a replicated terrain as the ocean. 

First, in the terrain editor, I just did a simple displacement generator set low to create the base ocean panel.  I used the standard replicator (not surface) and clicked "seamless."  I also made sure that the size of the terrain matched the dimensions of the replicator grid.

The terrain's shader is just the shader that comes with the ocean primitive. 

My problem is that I want to have a wake behind the ship that is off in the distace so it looks like Alfred E Newman and friend in the life preserver fell off the ship.  Any suggestions to make a wake in the middle of a replicator?

Everything is probably just a placeholder until I figure out how I can make the wake.  I modeled the lifesaver tube in the vertex modeler. 

However, the existing credits would include: 

a yacht from the Carrara native content browser,

wet hair for V4 converted for G2F, http://www.daz3d.com/wet-hair

adjusted Ysabeau skin shaders for G2F (but would need to work on the wet look), http://www.daz3d.com/ysabeau-6

adjusted David 5 skin hader for genesis http://www.daz3d.com/david-5

polo dress forG2F with adjused shader http://www.daz3d.com/polo-dress-for-genesis-2-female-s

preppy shirt and pants for genesis with adjusted shaders  http://www.daz3d.com/preppy-for-genesis

.Another problem is that the ocean shader is giving a strange double result for the face of Alfred E Newman.  It is probably a reflection setting.  I do have caustics on.

111b displacemen generator.JPG
    1752 x 961 - 181K
    111d shader from ocean primitive.JPG
    1670 x 916 - 160K
    111a assemble room replicated terrain.JPG
    1611 x 946 - 222K
    mad overboard tribute 1d.jpg
    800 x 1067 - 219K
    Post edited by Diomede on

Try looking at this post from the Fire and water challenge for a way to do the wake.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1033112/#Comment_1033112

edited June 2016

Ah, thanks, yes.  Excellent suggestion.  Now I can concentrate on things like getting the wet look, and otherwise improving shaders.  I especially plan to use the 3D paint tool to give a little sunburn on the upper slopes of the faces, and of course Alfred E Newman needs a lot of morphs and freckles.  By 3D paint, I just mean defining the areas with an opacity mask that will have the adjusted shaders.

Try looking at this post from the Fire and water challenge for a way to do the wake.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1033112/#Comment_1033112

If anyone is having trouble finding inspiration, I came across this classic toy.

gilligans islanf toy.png
    600 x 447 - 637K
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Chickenman, you have a pm :)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

Great theme chickenman! :)

If anyone is looking for orthographic ship reference images, there are a bunch here: https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/ships  (registration is required to see full sized images, but it's free and after registering last year  I've never gotten any spam email from them). 

Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: Saturday Jul 30, 2016 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)
    Voting Ends: Sunday, Aug 6, 2016 23:59:59 CST (GMT-6)

I love how I seem to have converted everyone to my home time zone.  I switched it the first time I hosted and I think everyone has just kept it the same since then. :)

I could have changed it to Eastern but then I thought that maybe I should change it to mountain to be DAZ time but I thought people were use to the CST time so It gave and extra bit from EST so I just left it.

TangoAlpha has stepped up to the plate and is Sponsoring the contest as well.

Each place from 1st to HM will get one item from his store.

Great news!  Thank you, TangoAlpha.  Love your sets.

TangoAlpha has stepped up to the plate and is Sponsoring the contest as well.

Each place from 1st to HM will get one item from his store.

And for my second entry, I am thinking about a neolithic or early bronze age setting.  I decided to model a simple curragh or coracle.  This early version is meant to be a skin of treated seal skin or bark stretched over a frame of whale bone.  Later versions would have a nice middle bench.  I started with a vertex sphere in the vertex modeler and deleted the upper half.  Through judicious duplications and filet tool usage, I modeled vertical and horizontal frames that fit the curraugh.  I then filled the top polygon of the curraugh and extruded down to have the skin stretch over the lip of the frame. 

Here is a placeholder with M4 in a simple terrain setting.

raft 1.JPG
    1775 x 887 - 208K
    yy 7 stone age dude.jpg
    800 x 600 - 56K

You know, I really hate it when someone uploads a WIP picture and I try to click on the mesh to highlight it!

Anyhow, nice coracle. My main concern is that the frame looks like it's not to scale with the skin on the UV?

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496

You know, I really hate it when someone uploads a WIP picture and I try to click on the mesh to highlight it!

It could be worse - I was reading an actual physical book instead of my Kindle today and tried to swipe my finger on a passage to highlight it. wink

I've done that too!

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,816

I thought after the last one that the conversation about Caustics would inspire some images and well we all know stezza has a Nautical work going on, I thought I would capitalize on that and also help provide insperation.

Hosting is easy not a big deal. Just have to remember my deadlines.

Great theme @chickenman I hope I can put something together for the challenge... I've done about a dozen versions of the one Endeavour hull so far in the past week and going off that I should have something ready by the 10th... in 2019 crying

Great to see TA put up some booty as well as Daz's Doubloons 

Have fun all yes

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited July 2016

Silly John finds the Challenge a few days late... now to come up with an idea... might just use the terrain used for the Under the Sea or Out of the Box Challenge from a different view/textures. Of course I'll want to model something new also and do some Shader tweaking.

Good luck to everyone!

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited July 2016

Tim - My, what sharp little eyes you have!  Yes, you are correct.  The uvmaps for each of the shading domains are to different scales.  There are separate shading domains for the outer skin, the vertical frame, the horizontal frame, and the inner lip (skin).  This post shows how the flaws in the uvmap would affect a procedural checker shader.

But, not to be lazy, but I didn't worry about the part of the frame that was covered by the lip of the skin, and I didn't worry about the scale because I plan to apply different shaders to the domains.  I actually intend to use the 3D paint tool to create a stitching bump map for the outer skin.  Therefore, I was most concerned about overlap. 

I should be more careful and not reinforce bad habits.

Anyhow, nice coracle. My main concern is that the frame looks like it's not to scale with the skin on the UV?

ww curragh 1.jpg
    640 x 480 - 39K
    ww currah checkered.jpg
    640 x 480 - 20K
    edited July 2016

BTW, notice the hole in the lake so that the bottom of the curragh is not filled with water?  The lake surface is a vertex plane with mixed wave shaders in the displacement channel.  That way could create a spot for the boat to sit low in the water.

diomede said:

BTW, notice the hole in the lake so that the bottom of the curragh is not filled with water?  The lake surface is a vertex plane with mixed wave shaders in the displacement channel.  That way could create a spot for the boat to sit low in the water.

Couldn't you not cut a hole an use Collision detection, Lake-Collide with curragh instead? Hmmm... might not work if it warps the lake or even places the lake to one side of the boat only.

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945

Here a scene I'm working on despite the fact that I'm not shure to have time to participate.

This boat is for a test only, I'm loocking for an old antik boat...

jpg
    jpg
    Doc1.jpg
    Doc1.jpg
    2000 x 1000 - 646K

There's a nice little video by Mec4D showing off caustics in C8Pro. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQcD590XhiY

there be sample caustic scenes in the native content to play with 

• i got a thing with crazy light effects: 

3 bulbs: a red a green and a blue, near each other, 

to get a prismatic effect, a lot of reflections.

but caustics dasn't make a diffrence.

Never designing a boat hull before I started out last night. First dropping in a flat circle then scaling it to be oblong. Next I selected an the oblong shape an used Dynamic Extrusion a few times. After having a basic hull shape to to work on I turned on Soft Select and started moving down the center. Currently it is flat on the bottom. Instead of continuing on with the result which I'm not that happy with I want to create, from the same starting template, some duplicated/scaled-larger/moved-up copies of it and use the Lathe tool to connect them to see if that might work out better. When/If I get something I like I'll move on to create a paddle or two depending on what I finally decide on for the boat.

BoatAttempt1.png
    1582 x 839 - 213K
    edited July 2016

wgdjohn, if you have Carrara Pro, you might consider using polylines and ruled surfaces to make the hull.  (Some old school people might even prefer making the hull in the spline modeler.)

Here is a quick and very rough approach to making a hull. 

1.  Find a reference image or two or three. 

2.  Load the reference in the directional camera of the vertex modeler under the "global" tab.  Here I have a cross section loaded in the front camera.  Ideally, you'd have references for the side view and the top view as well.  Adjust the view zoom so that the drawing grid is useful.

3.  Use the polyline tool and draw points to get the hull shape.

4.  If your reference has multiple cross sections, go ahead and use them to draw additional sections.  Instead, I simply went back to the director's camera view and duplicated the existing cross section and reshaped them.

5.  Use the ruled surfaces tool by selecting all of the cross sections.  Carrara will fill in the hull.

Note that in this method you would have to fill the end polygons.  This is just one of many ways to make a hull.  For a more general ruled surfaces tutorial, here is Cripeman.

hulls.jpg
    500 x 227 - 21K
    a1b load reference image.JPG
    282 x 199 - 20K
    a2b draw lines.jpg
    1267 x 868 - 272K
    a4 hull pieces.JPG
    1156 x 676 - 61K
    a5 hull ruled surfaces.JPG
    1180 x 759 - 71K
    a5b hull ruled surfaces.jpg
    1180 x 759 - 110K
    edited July 2016

Shlomi - I did my own simple test for what I thought would be some gems on a tablecloth.  If there is a difference, it is very subtle.  I inserted a plane and applied a white/pink checkered shader wih some spots in the bump for the tablecloth.  I then inserted three vertex objects of various shapes.  There is only one bulb light with a yellow tint, ambient light is zero.  The shaders of the objects have a white diffuse color but a different tint in the transparency channel.  The index of refraction is: crystal for the cone, emerald for the polyhydron, and ruby for the gem.  Here are two renders, one with caustics and one without.  Both renders do have light through transparency.  Hard to tell the difference, but I do think there is a subtle difference under the emerald and under the ruby.  Very hard to tell. 

** EDIT **  See second test below for better results.

bb1 simple scene 3 shapes and 1 yellowish light.JPG
    1524 x 829 - 91K
    bb4 shader for the ruby.JPG
    1875 x 880 - 161K
    bb2 no caustics.jpg
    800 x 600 - 61K
    bb3 with caustics.jpg
    800 x 600 - 61K