Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part VI

Comments

• BruganBrugan Posts: 365
    edited February 2017

Spaceship Antares Cockpit, notoriously dark lighting, although you'd probably want it a bit dark to make it easier to see out the viewports.

First, just cranked up the light from the center console. Gives a nice moody effect but not great for rendering. This is 160 iterations. Click to zoom in on the grain as it's a 4k render

Next I cranked up the main lighting. It had a texture map that forced the color toward cyan, so I removed it for a nice clean white. Again, this is purely emissive light from the model, 160 iterations, no cheating :)

Also, killing two birds with one stone, that's Mike 4 and Mike 7, Mike7 is wearing Major Cache for Michael4 armor using Wear Them All autofit clones. and a minor Iray update to the emissive shaders.

Post edited by Brugan on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited February 2017

...I really like the frist one.  Looks like a still from a film.

Post edited by kyoto kid on

I let this one run overnight, still a bit grainy when you view at full rez but I liked the mood in the low light version. :)

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    Brugan said:

I let this one run overnight, still a bit grainy when you view at full rez but I liked the mood in the low light version. :)

That one is a good compromise between the first and second renders as far as lighting.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    kyoto kid said:

...those settings all look good so I'm not sure why the lighting on the foreground subjects seems so dark.  Maybe try with Draw Dome turned on?  Also since this is an outdoor scene I would turn Architectural Sampling <off> and since there is nothing that creates caustics, turn off the Caustic Sampling as well.  That should reduce rendering time.

Maybe someone else who has worked with HDRIs more might be able to help metter than I with the lighting

I have found with outdoor scenes where the subject is not facing the sun that an additional light like a flash was needed.  The 3 I did recently did not need strong lights in front of the figure but just enought to illuminate the figure so its not so dark.  Primative planes work perfectly for that.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,266
    edited February 2017

Rerendered with the dome rotated 225.00 caustics and architectual off in the first one and on in the second

At The Old Cabin_1.png
    1910 x 1001 - 3M
    At The Old Cabin_2.png
    1910 x 1001 - 3M
    Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325

Rerendered with the dome rotated 225.00 caustics and architectual off in the first one and on in the second

Good work!

• Thanks

..still looks a bit underlit.  maybe reduce the f stop in the tone mapping a bit.

• Last one for this image changed the f/stop to 4

At The Old Cabin_2.png
    1910 x 1001 - 3M
  • j cadej cade Posts: 2,310

Another simple portrait from me.

Could've spent more effort on the hair, on the other hand I'm really satisfied with the face. I wasn't getting that satisfied with the hair unless I rendered it in blender.

Also at some point in the last few weeks I cam to the decision that if one is going for "photoreal" one really needs to use at least some DOF, which is sad, because DOF makes renders take longer :(

Last one for this image changed the f/stop to 4

...that looks much better. Now it does look more like afternoon than evening.  Lighting with Iray is tricky.  I've had to both learn and "unlearn" a lot myself (and am still doing so).

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Last one for this image changed the f/stop to 4

It'd see if you can't introduce a bit of blur and enviromental fog to lesson the collage effect on your render. Of if you have a PC like mine I can't see you haven't done that.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    j cade said:

Another simple portrait from me.

Could've spent more effort on the hair, on the other hand I'm really satisfied with the face. I wasn't getting that satisfied with the hair unless I rendered it in blender.

Also at some point in the last few weeks I cam to the decision that if one is going for "photoreal" one really needs to use at least some DOF, which is sad, because DOF makes renders take longer :(

Really interesting face.

Started out as a lighting experement with different skin colors, got carried away with the posing, I can't get enough of Lilith :D

V4Lilith and add-on on the left. Red Lilith7 on the right is using the Sachra skin set.

• nohiznguyennohiznguyen Posts: 262
    edited February 2017

@Knittingmommy: Tks!

Music in the air laugh

daz02.jpg
    800 x 533 - 226K
    Post edited by nohiznguyen on

Music in the air laugh

...that's really beautiful.  Now if this was done in Carrara you could enter it in the current challenge which has a musical theme.

Music in the air laugh

love the hair, it inspired me to try something crazy last night

Last one :)

• The hair reminds me of Storms in the old X-MEN comic books

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    edited February 2017

Hello, new here, but I'll play. :) Here's one from a couple days ago

BarbarianHammer1.jpg
    769 x 1000 - 458K
    Post edited by deathbycanon on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566

Hello, new here, but I'll play. :) Here's one from a couple days ago

Nice one, and welcome! Hope to see more!

• nohiznguyennohiznguyen Posts: 262
    edited February 2017

@ kyoto kid, Brugan: tks! And about the challenge, I dont use Carrara cool

Music in the air: Divine version laugh

daz03.jpg
    800 x 450 - 169K
    Post edited by nohiznguyen on
  • @deathbycannon  Nicely done!

@nohiznguyen  Great looking angel!  :)

edited February 2017

@ kyoto kid, Brugan: tks! And about the challenge, I dont use Carrara cool

Music in the air: Divine version laugh

...again, very lovely.

And about the challenge, I dont use Carrara 

Undserstood, however your previous work would defintely be a front runner. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on

Playing with the lighting in the engine room plus 2 emissive panels.

• @Brugan  I saw this in the gallery!  Looks great!

Thank you! :)

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

I love her expression.

This discussion has been closed.