Decided to learn about shaders, so I had some fun with gummy shaders :D

Isn't playing with shaders fun ?:)

• BruganBrugan Posts: 365
    edited February 2017
    kyoto kid said:
    Brugan said:

Decided to learn about shaders, so I had some fun with gummy shaders :D

...cool, so they work in Iray.

gummies worked without a hitch, the hard plastic shaders require a bit of tweaking or the darker colors come out grey.

You have to eliminate diffuse because the default when you load the hard plastics is white, it greys out when you go to render. I just set the strength to 0 OR set it to like 5% and chose a lighter shade of the subsurface color (probably easier to eliminate it altogether as I didn't see any improvment by havinng diffuse strength active on these surfaces)

http://www.daz3d.com/subsurface-gummy-plastic-shaders

Post edited by Brugan on
  • Ivy said:

I'm helping to test out a new figure by @DarwinsMishap.  This is Solange.  No postwork on this.

Wow ! that is stunning

Thanks, Ivy!  She's a great figure with which to play.  :)

@Brugan  Playing with shaders is uber cool!  I love seeing what I can with them.  :)  Gummie pink looks good on The Girl! 

• kyoto kid said:

My latest and first in about a year

...did you use an HDRI for that?

Yeah I did 

I used one from TerraDome 3

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575

..when I tried using HDRI's I felt on a number of occasions, the "sun" provided was not strong enough.  For example, the sky looks vibrant and bright like it is around 3:00  - 4:00 in the afternon, but lighting on the scene looks rather dark as if it was more around dusk.   What are your tonemapping settings?

• I don't recall changing anything but here's the list

Exposure value 13.00

F/Stop 8.00

Film ISO 100.00

cm^2 Factor 1.00

Vignetting 0.00

White Point Scale 1.00

White Point 1.00  1.00  1.00

Burn Highlights Per component  on

Burn Highlights  0.25

Crush Blacks   0.20

Saturation 1.00

Gamma 2.20

Haven't used Iray a lot as I'm more familiar with Reality and Lux

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    kyoto kid said:

..when I tried using HDRI's I felt on a number of occasions, the "sun" provided was not strong enough.  For example, the sky looks vibrant and bright like it is around 3:00  - 4:00 in the afternon, but lighting on the scene looks rather dark as if it was more around dusk.   What are your tonemapping settings?

The best way to adjust your HDRI in DS for iray is on the environment tab for iray. 

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited February 2017
    Mattymanx said:
    kyoto kid said:

The best way to adjust your HDRI in DS for iray is on the environment tab for iray. 

Hi Matty

I learned that too  increasing or decreasing the environment intensity or the environment map level can change  the brightness for HDRi map .  but I also found its not good for results for lighting the whole scene if you have a dark HDRi map,. i found I get much better result using the gamma settings,  the more I up the gamma the brighter the whole scene becomes with out change the color spectrum of your scene or washing out your HDRi map , I use the environment settings pretty much for just custom lighting. when I'm not using HDRi for a light source.  But I also will / would use the environments  tab not found in the render settings but in the windows tab & place my back ground maps there and adjust lighting settings accordingly to match the background using the render settings /environment settings tab   .. that has been how i got my best results using iray anyway.. , I just use the map  intensity for brighten my  HDRi map if it was a little dark it saves post work.  but I hardly ever use the environments setting to brighten up my scene  for that I still would use the gamma settings found under the tone map settings.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Good to know Ivy, thanks to sharing.  I dont use HRDI much and the ones I do are well done so other then environment intensity, I have never had to mess with it.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,154
    edited February 2017

Sharing information is the best way to learn.

The way I learned about the gamma settings was, I am always looking for a short cuts to rendering animation and was experimenting with some HDRi  resources,& making my own HDRi  scenes in Photoshop and was having issues with getting the sun dialed in right at first., So in reading some info I found on HDRilabs,.com on creating HDRi & adjusting the tonemapping.    I was reading how gamma is used in vray in Maya. when using hdri to light your scene. which lead me to explore the render settings in daz. & i noticed the gamma settings and started fooling around with it. and found i can change my scene colors using the tone map settings and brighten my scenes using the gamma setting  to light the scene without washing out my homemade Photoshop hdrI  in my daz renders   it was all trial and error..really..lol but helpful to know.

I like using HDRi they do saves a ton of resources & set up time and allow  more room for props and etc.. so that why i was learnings how to make HDRi in Photoshop myself. so I could make running match scenes for animation.

Post edited by Ivy on

I don't recall changing anything but here's the list

Exposure value 13.00

F/Stop 8.00

Film ISO 100.00

cm^2 Factor 1.00

Vignetting 0.00

White Point Scale 1.00

White Point 1.00  1.00  1.00

Burn Highlights Per component  on

Burn Highlights  0.25

Crush Blacks   0.20

Saturation 1.00

Gamma 2.20

Haven't used Iray a lot as I'm more familiar with Reality and Lux

...what about the environment settings?

...as I mentioned here and elsewhere I rarely use HDRIs save for the ambient one that Mec4D created which is great for photo studio settings.  As I am unable to work in Iray View mode, I have no Idea how the dome is rotated and sun is positioned in relation to the subjects in the scene without doing a bunch of time consuming test renders.

For outdoor daytime scenes I use settings for ISO 64 as I worked a lot with Kodachrome and Ektacrhome 64 in RL which was my usual "go to" outdoor film for scenery and "beauty" shots. 

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,261
    edited February 2017

Enviroment Settings

Enviroment Mode     Dome and Scene

Dome Mode       Infinite Sphere

Draw Dome       Off

Enviroment Intensity     1.00

Enviroment Map         2.00

Enviroment Lighting Resolution      512

Enviroment lighting Blur    off 

Dome xyz and rotation  all at 0.00

Ground Texture Scale    100.00

Ground Position Mode   auto

Draw Ground         On

Ground Shadow Intensity    1.00

Architectural and Caustic sampler are both on

Rendering Quality is 10.00 and Rendering Converged Ratio is 100%

Post edited by Robert Freise on
  • DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    kyoto kid said:

...as I mentioned here and elsewhere I rarely use HDRIs save for the ambient one that Mec4D created which is great for photo studio settings.  As I am unable to work in Iray View mode, I have no Idea how the dome is rotated and sun is positioned in relation to the subjects in the scene without doing a bunch of time consuming test renders.

For outdoor daytime scenes I use settings for ISO 64 as I worked a lot with Kodachrome and Ektacrhome 64 in RL which was my usual "go to" outdoor film for scenery and "beauty" shots. 

Hey KK!!

The easiest way I have found to get proper sun/dome rotation if you can't do a lot of render testing is to put a chrome ball in your scene and have the camera positioned high and looking down on it and do a quick render. This will tell you where the sun is in the sky, and how diffuse it is (any clouds). For a chrome ball just put a sphere primitive in your scene, then put the silver or platinum DAZ Uber Iray shader on it. I used to do this all the time when using HDRI's in Carrara because the HDRI only shows in the render, not in preview. This can also help to determine how sharp the shadows might be from the HDRI.

Often the sun is actually quite diffuse in HDRI's due to haze/clouds, even though just looking at the image it looks very focused. The chrome ball helps to see this as well as determine orientation of the sun (which is often at an odd angle).

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,325
    edited February 2017

Nothing spectacular scene-wise.  Just my latest attempt at trying to create a mature character that is identifiably  older than the standard Victioria clone, yet doesn't look like your great great grandmother, or someone that life rode hard and spit out.

Got the Zev0 vascularity bundle, but need to dial it up a bit more.

Cmdr Sikes.jpg
    593 x 960 - 113K
    Post edited by nelsonsmith on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563

Nice work nelsonsmith, you achieved what you set out to do, great character, very unique. Did you use post, it has a grainy look to it that I like.

Awesome character nelsonsmith ! Looks like the wise scientist, also would make a great sci-fi general or starship captain :)

FYI, Wear Them All for G3M & G3F are in the new sale, I'm finding pre-Iray clothes look surprisingly good with a little tinkering and help fill in the gaps in the current G3 lineup ;)  Will post some screens tonight if I can stay awake after work o_O

Nice work nelsonsmith, you achieved what you set out to do, great character, very unique. Did you use post, it has a grainy look to it that I like.

No Post work.

I rendered several times with different light and ISO settings to try to get rid of it, but that's the way it kept coming out.  LOL.  I guess it's serendipity  :) 

I'm assuming that is http://www.daz3d.com/sci-fi-lab from petipet. His work is amazing, my only complaint is that his emissive light settings are incredibly low. I got this to help and it works wonders http://www.daz3d.com/iray-light-manager-pro You can fine-tune all the built in lighting on Iray shaded models, it has saved me a lot of frustration. Add in an emissive light set (my current favorite is http://www.daz3d.com/jm-proper-emissive-lights ) which can also be adjusted from inside light manager pro and you'll be all set :)

All the shots in my galleries use these two add-ons, even outdoor sun renders.

Yes, that is the set I used.

Thanks.  I've got Iray-light-manager-pro,  but I forget to use it a lot of the time.

• Here's another render I did while testing out Solange, the new character @DarwinsMishap is working on.  I really like how it turned out.  No postwork. 

Slaying the Dragon

• Nice pic and I like the looks of that character 

Wow,  the colors really pop, and the sharpness and detail of the render are fantastic!

• Nice pic and I like the looks of that character 

Thanks.  Yeah, DarwinsMishap has done a great job with her.  I'm not sure when she'll be submitted to DAZ, but hopefully she'll be available to everyone soon.  I've had a blast testing her out.

Wow,  the colors really pop, and the sharpness and detail of the render are fantastic!

Thank you!  I played with the Saturation a little bit in Tone Mapping as well as the Crush Blacks and the Burn Highlights until I got the look I wanted.  I love that hair which has 3Delight textures and hit it with the Uber shader.  I just couldn't match that color with anything I had for Iray.  Luckily, the uber shader worked great with this one.

• @Knittingmommy That is a gorgeous render, very dynamic.

• @Knittingmommy That is a gorgeous render, very dynamic.

Thank you!  smiley

• nohiznguyennohiznguyen Posts: 262
    edited February 2017

Bring it on! laugh

daz01.jpg
    800 x 800 - 350K
    Post edited by nohiznguyen on
  • @nohiznguyen  She looks ready for battle!  Nice!  I love her expression and the camera angle.

edited February 2017

Enviroment Settings

Enviroment Mode     Dome and Scene

Dome Mode       Infinite Sphere

Draw Dome       Off

Enviroment Intensity     1.00

Enviroment Map         2.00

Enviroment Lighting Resolution      512

Enviroment lighting Blur    off 

Dome xyz and rotation  all at 0.00

Ground Texture Scale    100.00

Ground Position Mode   auto

Draw Ground         On

Ground Shadow Intensity    1.00

Architectural and Caustic sampler are both on

Rendering Quality is 10.00 and Rendering Converged Ratio is 100%

...those settings all look good so I'm not sure why the lighting on the foreground subjects seems so dark.  Maybe try with Draw Dome turned on?  Also since this is an outdoor scene I would turn Architectural Sampling <off> and since there is nothing that creates caustics, turn off the Caustic Sampling as well.  That should reduce rendering time.

Maybe someone else who has worked with HDRIs more might be able to help metter than I with the lighting

Post edited by kyoto kid on
This discussion has been closed.