Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 10

Comments

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited August 2017

@David Nice to read something from you again. Very good looking abstracts. Wonderful landscapes, the scene with the crater lake is my favourite

@Mermaid010: The pirates are here :-) Beautiful sea and clouds. The ship looks a bit blurry, maybe some JPEG artefacts because of a high compression rate?

@Hansmar: Your broccoli trees are cool. To answer your question to Irina's pic why the beholder is on his knees. I did not realize it, I hope this is not a kind of unconscious statement :-)

I am playing around and struggling a bit with photo textures put on a terrain, where the black and white version of the photo drives the bump/displacement. Hm, I hope you understand my gibberish. I think C-ram and StuartB are the masters of this technic. There was an entry here in the Bryce forum, but I am not sure from C-ram or StuartB where he explained it with a roof texture, but I could not find it anymore. Here a WIP

Chrysler Dodge Ram

dodgeaufkies.jpg
    800 x 600 - 87K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

David B. I love those abstracts. The second one from the 25th looks like some kind of Eifel tower on steroids. Keep exerpimenting!

Dan W. Fantastic scene. Could be an album cover for a rock group of sorts. Very well rendered.

Mermaid. Lovely, tranquil, scene. Fantastic sky and reflection of it.

Vivien. Thanks. Brocoli is healthy, so, go ahead!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2017

Thanks, David...yep, you're right - it's the experimetal stages that usually discloses the most info., - very interesting stuff. It reminds me of a physics teacher-friend I knew once - she was brilliant when things applied to her own work, but when she had to explain it to others, she found it near-impossible.

Very nice, Mermaid...the reflected cloud setting couldn't have worked out better, as it frames the boat - bringing attention to it.

Great scene, Dan....I wouldn't trust any of those characters devil Sorry, I missed your post, so a bit late in reply.

Oooh, Elvis, a very shiny truck...just off the lot cool but wait 'til the scratches and mud comes along cheeky

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,126
    edited August 2017

David - very nice abstracts. Inside another cube, the blueish one, I really like.

Mermaid - very nice seascape, great mood.

vivien - thank you.

Electro-Elvis - nice car, I sort of miss a bit of reflection.

Triple stacked terrain from a set David and myself are working on with materials from the same set. Actually I needed a new render to submit to bryce5.com because Nights4r had to rewrite the gallery in an updated PHP version and I had to test whether it works. It does.

Warm and Cool

WarmCool.jpg
    1200 x 795 - 283K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2017

Horo, triple stack!   You had to go one better!  Not got that anythihng like that far yet myself.  Here's my first offering on formalising a process for double stacking.  This method is roughly "copy, smooth, lower and squash and lower and squash until it is something like".  I'll send you my working and you can let me know if it makes any kind of sense.

Smooth_scale_lift_stack3.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 718K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on

Looks great David. I used your original method. There are so many tricks and methods to use Bryce.

edited August 2017
    Horo said:

Looks great David. I used your original method. There are so many tricks and methods to use Bryce.

Thank you.  Well, I can't quite remember how that goes and subsequently I've tried a few different approaches that I am attempting to turn into identifiable "methods".

De-rez_method1.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 879K
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

Great terrains masters Horo and David!

edited August 2017
    Hansmar said:

Great terrains masters Horo and David!

Thank you.  I'm still trying to "tame" the curvature filtering.  Incorporating terrain stacking seems helps because it stops everything looking too uniformly filtered by breaking up the obvious lines.  Here the snow effect is supplied by stacing and curvature is used to create a mingled and varied taiga grass effect.

Misregistration_method1.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 777K
    Squash_method1.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 817K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,002
    edited November 2017

Thanks David, Vivien, Electro-Elvis, Hansmar and Horo

Electro-Elvis – very nice car, I like the material on the ground.

Horo and David – wow beautiful landscape renders from both

I re-visited David’s Volumetric clouds tutorial for this render using Horo’s Gasclouds A1 Hdri from https://www.bryce-tutorials.info/shop/bryce-7-1-pro-exotic-hdri-for-fantasy-skies-and-sci-fi-1/ and the lighting effect is from https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-lenses-and-filters

surreal-volumetric-clouds2.jpg
    960 x 720 - 506K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited August 2017

Nice work with the clouds Mermaid, I can see you used a cutter to create those fancy shapes.  Very deep too.  Good effect "fantastic".

Here I used the recipe that converst "alpine hills" into pillars and then stacked the terrain with a softened version of itself.  Lighting from Horo's HDRI.

Hilltop1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 864K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799

I havent been around much a all lately But I still pop in from time to time and I follow everyone's progress and studies. A few things of note recently...

C-Ram - That forest edge image is pretty much like a photo. I often ask myself if I'd know a render was a render if I wasnt told beforehand that it was a render. In the case of this image I don't see anything that would cause me to doubt its legitimacy. Excellent work. Too many strong aspects to even comment upon. Perfection I think is what I'd call this. Way to go.

Mermaid- Very quiet ocean surface. Excellent sky obviously. Nice light on the boat!! Flowers growing out of the trunk look very nice, with a soft sort of lighting. Leaning tower looks great. Nice moody blue tinted skylight from the hdri!!

Vivien- Great job combining these elements into an image. Love the dead seeming vegetation in the stream!

Hansmar, Your abstracts are always fun, never troubling. That's a good thing. On the image with the tree variations, why in the heck did it take so long to render? Multiple days? EGDLS should never be that slow ithout either tons of transparencies or something has gone awry with the scene optimization, such as lights striking volume clouds that shouldnt or maybe some other setting that's offending the rays. The light looks good though, no doubt about that. I suspect in other instances your renders are fast with EGDLS. Please let me know if long times persist.

Hergal3d- Wow!! You KILLED IT with your underwater image. I'm not sure how much was done in post processing but I love the colors and the overall feel of the piece. the models themsleves are fairly convincing including the tunes and the sea fans. Cannot complain about anything. Excellent work. Do comtinue!

Dan Whiteside- I LOVE this render!! AS DAvid states, not too much burnout, but there is stull some along some surfaces which to me lends legitimacy to the warmth of the light without washing out the scene. Nice color management as well.

Elvis- Being the Bryce Master that you are I am never surprised by seeing amazing renders from you. Unlike some users who may need to rely on tools like TA to get the job done, I suspect that you can light scene without the need for automatic solutions. That said, whenever you do decide to use TA I assume your reasons must be good. The lady seated on the bench looks great. I really feel like she is connected to someone behind the camera. AS horo suggested from a compositional standpoitn she could use more head room. But I really like seeing the plants and all. Excellent. The truck looks fantastic as well, especially the flooded gravel on the ground. Looks quite excellent actually, much better than I would expect from Bryce without employing displacement.

Horo- That flower fractal thingy is stunning. And every terrain render you make always reminds me of how much I have to learn about Bryce's most basic functions.

David Brinnen- Curvature is one of the best tools we've ever had implemented in Bryce. You originally conceived of it as a dirt shader, for which it can apply, but indeed the feature didnt quite reach full maturity before relase of Bryce 7. The feature actually works well enough in my view aside from the polygon stepping that currently bogs down this feature. Any progress you can make over

David - great examples.

Mermaid - Beautiful scene with the shapes in the water and that cloudy sky. Very nice work, indeed.

Rashad - thank you.

edited August 2017

Rashad, aye, it does indeed work well enough, but I'm trying to make it work just a little bit harder for us.

Horo, thank you.

After my last experiment above I had an idea and that in turn has become another apporach to terrain stacking.  This picture is the result of that.  It is based on a feature in the North Yorkshire Moors called Roseberry Topping (see google images if you are curious).

Outcrop_method1.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 802K
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911

Rashad, aye, it does indeed work well enough, but I'm trying to make it work just a little bit harder for us.

Horo, thank you.

After my last experiment above I had an idea and that in turn has become another apporach to terrain stacking.  This picture is the result of that.  It is based on a feature in the North Yorkshire Moors called Roseberry Topping (see google images if you are curious).

Very realistic, David!
    In which program did you make a map of heights?

Slepalex said:

Horo, thank you.

Very realistic, David!
    In which program did you make a map of heights?

Thank you... er... this one was made in World Machine.  Horo made some of the height maps and he used a different program.  I'm sure he's told me before, but I will probably get it wrong, but I expect he will tell you before long.

I use WorldCreator to create height maps, export as 8192 pixel square 32 bit floating point grey raw, read the raw files, convert them to 96 bit, process them then scale down to 4096 and 16 bit integer grey for Bryce. WorldCreator is the successor of GeoControl on which it is based but hugely enhanced.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376

@David : remarkable beautiful landscapes renders! A little bit empty for me but soooo realistic! The last one is very closed to the real place. The textures used obviously participate in creating the global ambiance and I think that curvatures are also important to produce those nice stacked effect. I also appreciate the way textures are taking place from the bottom to the peak on each slopes. Well done Sir!

Working on my next projects I'm also trying to reproduce a nice place using google earth. I'll upload the final render this weekend.

I recall we covered a thread/conversation in past Bryce posts about a freeware software that could generate bumpmaps for any area on Earth, so worth checking out the link quoted, Slepalex.

Jay

edited August 2017

On the 'curvature' feature issue: For those ignorent (like me, new to graphic's 'wares...etc.,) - can this over-use of 'curvature' be explained. It kinda reminds me of 'chinese wispers' where some know the true intent, but others are totally unaware.

Of course, I know this is not intended (I once tried to explain to my sister how 'alt' and 'ctrl' worked - at expense of un-intended smugness to her understanding), but you guys need to give us - following such endeavours -  as to what you are 'actually' doing.

We can always follow your direction aftertwards, but you are failing to explain, NOW, what exactly you are trying to do. The images are super, but you definelty need to explain-wise, graphic-wise or other - wtf, you are talking about.

Jay

PS. Sorry for my honesty: I always comment this way, but, at least, you'll always be getting an honest one, as opposed to the airy/fairy 'overly-positive ones we get, sometimes' here on the Bryce forum. It's never personally-directed, so hopefully, those topics challenged are areas needed to be simplified/corrected. Yes, I/we can do the research on 'curvature' - but should such be an amateur, introductory 'ware.

No! I suppose that's the problem with Bryce - considered by DAZ - who seem to treat us Brycers as non-essentials at advanced expense to ordering DAZ products. Idiots - we are IGNORENT, but them MOSTLY.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    Horo said:

I use WorldCreator to create height maps, export as 8192 pixel square 32 bit floating point grey raw, read the raw files, convert them to 96 bit, process them then scale down to 4096 and 16 bit integer grey for Bryce. WorldCreator is the successor of GeoControl on which it is based but hugely enhanced.

Horo, I still use GeoControl. I usually create a terrain in Bryce, sometimes I correct it in Photo Paint, then I process it in GeoControl and import back to Bryce as 16 bit.

edited August 2017

Cheers, Slepalex...you're welcome

Jay

Jamahoney said:

On the 'curvature' feature issue: For those ignorent (like me, new to graphic's 'wares...etc.,) - can this over-use of 'curvature' be explained. It kinda reminds me of 'chinese wispers' where some know the true intent, but others are totally unaware.

Of course, I know this is not intended (I once tried to explain to my sister how 'alt' and 'ctrl' worked - at expense of un-intended smugness to her understanding), but you guys need to give us - following such endeavours -  as to what you are 'actually' doing.

We can always follow your direction aftertwards, but you are failing to explain, NOW, what exactly you are trying to do. The images are super, but you definelty need to explain-wise, graphic-wise or other - wtf, you are talking about.

Jay

PS. Sorry for my honesty: I always comment this way, but, at least, you'll always be getting an honest one, as opposed to the airy/fairy 'overly-positive ones we get, sometimes' here on the Bryce forum. It's never personally-directed, so hopefully, those topics challenged are areas needed to be simplified/corrected. Yes, I/we can do the research on 'curvature' - but should such be an amateur, introductory 'ware.

No! I suppose that's the problem with Bryce - considered by DAZ - who seem to treat us Brycers as non-essentials at advanced expense to ordering DAZ products. Idiots - we are IGNORENT, but them MOSTLY.

Sorry Jay, it is just a material option introduce in Bryce 7.1 pro.  I've created a few videos on this topic.

It is not really documented, because DAZ don't really do documentation and it is not the easiest thing to use, just from an interface perspective.  And because of these two things it is not really well used or appreciated.

So in a nut shell, the curvature filter acts in such a way that it can vary colour/alpha/bump output according to a local measurement of the geometry surface, either on the basis of how bent it is or weather it is convex or concave, depending on which options are chosen.  Curvature can be selected as a colour filter in the DTE colour options dropdown, directly as a filter and also as one of four types of blend mode.  So... for example, curvature could be used to filter a dirt texture into concave crevices or to place chipping on an exposed edge - that kind of thing.  Hopefully the videos will help explain things some more.  But since then more about the way the feature works has become (I'd say clear... but let us settle for less foggy) which would by and large look like a lot of odd pictures of landscapes in primary colours - so instead of subjecting you to that, I've gone ahead and turned them into something more practical.  Here are some raw images of curvature at work, without embelleshment.

Smooth_scale_lift_stack1.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 601K
    Smooth_scale_lift_stack2.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 800K
    edited September 2017

Ah, David, I now get it - the vids, the vids...thank you so, so much. Hope I wasn't being too demanding (aka: pain-in-the-a**). Sigh! Happy! Thanks much yes

Jay...it's in one's nature to discover...

edited September 2017
    Jamahoney said:

Ah, David, I now get it - the vids, the vids...thank you so, so much. Hope I wasn't being too demanding (aka: pain-in-the-a**). Sigh! Happy! Thanks much yes

Jay...it's in one's nature to discover...

No problem.  Yes, for those that don't know, my youtube channel has over 300? - I've lost count, but many videos on Bryce and Bryce related topics.  They are linked from this site (along with many others) http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials.html and I happen to know the website is being upgraded to include more, an improved user interface and search facility - as phase one of an overhaul.

Island_outcrop_testTA1.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 628K

Slepalex - yes, GeoControl (and WorldCreator) has very powerful post filters that can be used on imported height maps.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited September 2017

@David : I just wonder if curvature filter is able to work with bitmap pictures but I don't think so.. using displacement mapping could also be fun to use but it is so buggy with Bryce and this option is taking a lot of memory.

Well, back to Bryce for some few hours this last weeks and here's the result : the wine road.

Typically it's a road in the north east of France called Alsace. Lots of timbered house and some beautiful mountain in the distance. A place to visit if you ever travel in France.

I've modeled the wine plants with speedtree and build 3 timbered houses then replicate them while changing their wall colors. The heart of the church is coming from sketchfab. The sky is a picture with a high resolution.

Final render at about 3700 pixels wide so, a print is available.

Wine road.jpg
    2000 x 851 - 2M
    Post edited by c-ram on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Very nice.  That rocky road blends in quite well with the plants on each side.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited September 2017

@c-ram: Another WOW!-Render of yours. The road is amazing.

@David: Beautiful landscapes. They look very realistic. I like the curvature filter, though I have hardly an idea of it. I simply played around. Thank you for reminding me of it

@mermaid010: The clouds looking wonderfully fluffy. With that color they remember me (not surprisingly) of cotton candy :-)

@Horo: Another outstanding terrain, too.

@Everybody Thank you very much for your kind comment to my pictures. @Rashad: I have to admit, the gravel in my pickup pic came out much better, than I expected. It was the reason I made the scene ;-)

As mentioned it just above, David's experiments led me to play around with the curvature filter again. First I made the buddah on the left side. I wanted the wrinkles to look a little greenish (mossy) and used the curvature filter to achive it (After fiddeling around for 1 1/2 hours I got it). Unfortunately his hair always stayed greenish and looked a bit odd. But I could change the curvature values as I wanted, the hair did not react at all. But I wanted to have the brighter material on the hair, as you can see on the right buddah. I achived it finally by smoothing the hair again with the 'Edit Mesh' function, but with a very low smoothing value. Instead of the default value which is around 75 I used 15. I find it interesting, that smoothing of the mesh can also influences the results of the curvature filter.

Buddahs With Curvature

buddahs_with_curv.jpg
    900 x 675 - 75K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited September 2017

c-ram - a most beautiful and realistic picture, could indeed be a photograph. I've visited the Alsace several times (and on the other side of the Rhein and Canal d'Alsace it looks similar but has the Black Forest (Schwarzwald) as backdrop, not the Vosges). So my only question is: what type of grape are they? wink

Electro-Elvis - well done! Yes, using curvature is not very obvious: in the DTE we have it as color mode, as blend mode and as filter, and then again in the material options. There are a lot of possibilities and each one has an effect. The object needs to have round "edges" and we observed that lower resolution objects often give the better result for curvature than high resolution ones. Smoothing the mesh - as you did - can help.

Post edited by Horo on
This discussion has been closed.