Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 10

Comments

• Bryce continues to surprise.  I was experimenting with curvature responding to bump on an infinite plane and I did something with the plane that on the face of it makes no sense, I tried to scale it on the y-axis - because of a suspicion that was forming about the way bump/curvature interact and I accidently discovered that by doing this it is possible to break the infinite plane in an interesting way.  It remains infinite but beyond a certain distance from the camera it becomes invisible.  I think it still blocks rays... I don't know.  That remains to be tested.  I'll make a video at some point, if only to cover the findings over curvature.  But it's pretty weird, but also replicateable.

Bump_cu3_broke_plane.jpg
    800 x 800 - 256K
  • Bryce continues to surprise.  I was experimenting with curvature responding to bump on an infinite plane and I did something with the plane that on the face of it makes no sense, I tried to scale it on the y-axis - because of a suspicion that was forming about the way bump/curvature interact and I accidently discovered that by doing this it is possible to break the infinite plane in an interesting way.  It remains infinite but beyond a certain distance from the camera it becomes invisible.  I think it still blocks rays... I don't know.  That remains to be tested.  I'll make a video at some point, if only to cover the findings over curvature.  But it's pretty weird, but also replicateable.

That's insane. As you saud before, the criterion or various criteria being considered for curvature calculation cannot be exhaustive. My theory now is that curvature must be borrowing information from the mesh smoothing algorithms, at least in part. But any anaylsis of facial orientation or of vertex angles should be as you stated, scale independent; but as your and Horo's test indicate this is not so. I suspect some sort of a shortcut is at play. I'm hoping we dont still have scattering problems, which could also lead to some of these issues. We've been very concerned with light rays scattering but have we ever looked at shadow rays for scattering consistency?

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited September 2017

David was kind enough to send me that file. This does not appear to be a curvature issue but it might be curvature switching something, like when making the object flat the curvature stays. If the ground plane material is set to default, the plane stays shortened but if the attributes dialogue is opened and closed with the check mark, it gets infinite, but not so if closed with X.

Post edited by Horo on
  • There you go, this is how it is done, get stuck in.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,997
    edited September 2017

Thanks David, Jay, Horo and Rashad for the comments.

Nice experiments and discussion, although I have no clue what you guys are talking about.

I fiddled a bit more with the materials of my last render

Another Video from David, thanks.yes

curvature2.jpg
    720 x 540 - 37K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • Thanks David, Jay, Horo and Rashad for the comments.

Nice experiments and discussion, although I have no clue what you guys are talking about.

I fiddled a bit more with the materials of my last render

Just our ususal bants.  Yes I can see the effect there more clearly, though I think you might benifit if you are testing curvature with models which exhibit a greater range of changes of curvagture.  It is not enough that they are curvy but rather that the degree of curvyness changes over the surface of the model.  Nice renders.

David - cool. Alt and Ctrl keys work the same, none as well, up or down orientation also work the same but the mouse must be moved right. No effect moving it left. Rotation X and Z have an effect on the "cropped" plane. Y position of the plane and Y position of the camera have no effect (except when going below Y 0) as far as the horizon is concerned, just like the normal plane.

Mermaid - still nice vases. Try once with completely different colours/textures in channels A and B.

edited September 2017

Thanks David and Horo, maybe I could try with some different textures and/or different models.

• While I am at it.  Here's a part II.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited September 2017

The head/body as curvature - getting there, I think, but very crude as such. I hope the below isn't breaking rules (nudity etc.,), but if it is, then no probems to delete, and just post the head (I can't seem to find the rules anyway).

Haven't looked at this last vid yet, David, but one thing that flipped my observation was the concave/convex optical illusion. Intially, I was seeing convexed bumps, but then realising that the red represent concaved regions and blue convexed (and that light is coming from the right), the whole scene flipped from hills to craters. I get such illusion in luanr craters - always fun, in explaining why.

Jay

CurvaureHeadBody.jpg
    1414 x 816 - 398K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on

edited September 2017

David - interesting video.

Jamahoney - good. I think starting with those red and blue textures is a good idea.

The left one uses the wood of a tree, the right one is just an instance of it and rotated by 180 deg. With the textures used, it is difficult to see what's convex and what's concave. The result, however, is a very elaborate looking material.

Sniffing

Sniffing.jpg
    1200 x 675 - 201K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited September 2017

CassiniEnd1.jpg
    1000 x 475 - 328K

edited September 2017
    Jamahoney said:

edited September 2017

A Wonderful craft will impact in to Saturn today. Most will never know of its historical research, which opened up a whole new discovery in worlds other than our own.

Jay

Great depiction of the event, Jay,

Cheers, Horo...a 'final' one...see ya Cassini...thanks for all the fish wink

Jay

CassiniEnd2.jpg
    1650 x 798 - 242K

edited September 2017

Jay – nice example of concave and convex. The space scenes are awesome, love them. yes

Horo – very nice render especially the lighting, an unusual model.

David - thanks for all the videos.  A simple render using the setup from your “A Video about scale” nice exercise in setting up a scene from a photo.

scalingtut-david.jpg
    900 x 675 - 126K
    edited September 2017

Ah cheers, Mermaid. Love the light on those mountains...very atmospheric and depth, too. That canoe, though, is something I've always wanted to try out for years...(the closest I got was a kayak try a long time ago).

Jay

PS. Off-topic: Will need to get back to the curvature head-model thingy soon - other deadlines are getting in the way.

edited September 2017

Mermaid - beautiful image. Great lighting, too.

I finally finished a document for David's video "How to investigate curvature" on page 25, I chewed three days to get those 6 pages together. It's not a transcript but shows how a template texture can be set up and what effect the curvature filter parameters have. For those not knowing it, filter parameters can be set precisely to the third decimal place. The link to the doc is https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/CurvatureC.pdf. Below a test render, the curvature filter settings are in the doc.

Forelands

Forelands.jpg
    1200 x 795 - 289K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • Horo said:

Mermaid - beautiful image. Great lighting, too.

I finally finished a document for David's video "How to investigate curvature" on page 25, I chewed three days to get those 6 pages together. It's not a transcript but shows how a template texture can be set up and what effect the curvature filter parameters have. For those not knowing it, filter parameters can be set precisely to the third decimal place. The link to the doc is https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/CurvatureC.pdf. Below a test render, the curvature filter settings are in the doc.

It is a pity that this document for me as an instruction for the Neanderthal man on the study of the principle of the locomotive. You can not copy and translate from Google translator.
    Although, the general meaning is clear from the pictures. This is what I did in my experiments.

Slepalex - there is a pure text file of this document which can be used to automatically translate: https://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/txt/CurvatureC.txt - almost all my PDFs have also a pure text file with them, exactly for those wanting to translate the text, the pictures are in the PDF.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited September 2017

@Rashad: thank you! Trying to produce renders looking like modern renderer is becoming harder and harder each day even if, of course, bryce have got its own charming and good looking way.

On my quest about realism, I've try to compose a fall, which everyone know is quite difficult in Bryce.

This fall is made of terrains and I am using fuzzy factor to render the water effect.

Vegetation is very luxurious as you can see and to fill the entire scene, I have model only one layer of bush for the walls (speedtree). This layer is duplicate and rotate to cover the entire background.

The other part of the vegetation is made of differents Xfrog plants. For those interested, I've made a print of this render at 60 per 80 cm (21,6 per 31,5 inch) because, the full resolution of this work is in 4000 per 5330 pixels. I'll make a photo to show you the result.

2017-09-18 22.25.13.jpg
    1226 x 1630 - 2M
    Post edited by c-ram on
  • Horo said:

Slepalex - there is a pure text file of this document which can be used to automatically translate: https://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/txt/CurvatureC.txt - almost all my PDFs have also a pure text file with them, exactly for those wanting to translate the text, the pictures are in the PDF.

Thank you, Horo.

• c-ram said:

@Rashad: thank you! Trying to produce renders looking like modern renderer is becoming harder and harder each day even if, of course, bryce have got its own charming and good looking way.

On my quest about realism, I've try to compose a fall, which everyone know is quite difficult in Bryce.

This fall is made of terrains and I am using fuzzy factor to render the water effect.

Vegetation is very luxurious as you can see and to fill the entire scene, I have model only one layer of bush for the walls (speedtree). This layer is duplicate and rotate to cover the entire background.

The other part of the vegetation is made of differents Xfrog plants. For those interested, I've made a print of this render at 60 per 80 cm (21,6 per 31,5 inch) because, the full resolution of this work is in 4000 per 5330 pixels. I'll make a photo to show you the result.

Another masterpiece from you, Mark!

edited September 2017

Nice one, Horo - from a curvature point-of-view. Perhaps, curvature effects may not always be effective in the possible B-TOE? (B-TOE Bryce-Theory Of Everything is an unofficial, loosely-termed sub-text where, in the future, any/every OBJ can be tuned into a more servicible, curvature product).

Great waterfall, Marco! I once experimented with eye-lashes (from Daz models...etc.,) as clashing waves (think, tunnel-like, surfing) - it worked, but more development is on-going.

Jay

c-ram - beautiful scene, Marco. I like the detail with the blue birds.

Jamahomey - thank you Jay. Yes, just curvature. It's a good thing but not an universal thing. Just tried to get a grip on it.

edited September 2017

Thanks Jay and Horo

Horo- lovely render, thanks for the pdf.

C-ram – I agree with Slepalex another masterpiece, beautiful vegetation.

A render using curvature filter on double stacked terrains, after reading Horo’s pdf and reviewing David’s tutorial.  One of Horo’s Hdris is used for the lighting.

stacking12.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 123K
This discussion has been closed.