Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 10

Comments

• vivienvivien Posts: 184

Mermaid – Thank you.  Very nice render of the Tower of Pisa model.

C-ram – Thank you for observation… I too was not happy at all with my rocks. I’ll take you up on the offer of the rocks that you have… I’ll send you a pm with my new email.  Beautiful  render of the edge of the forest, you must have some delightful  walks there.  I don’t understand what you mean by photogrammetric grass.

Horo – Thank you for your comment, and I agree with you, my rocks sont look at all nice. need some working on…. Lovely  Incendia/geometrica experiment again. I like the first one best…. It has a flower look about it.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited August 2017

vivien - thank you.

Yet another Incendia/Geometrica object render. Essentially transparent with a low refractive index (0.7), PHT boosted specularity and anisotropy. Backdrop is an HDRI providing specular and negative light. Because of the fine lines, anti-aliasing settings needed to be at max and though the render was swift, AA-ing took another 6 hours.

Color Yagi

ColorYagi.jpg
    1200 x 863 - 307K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited August 2017

Horo: Wonderful variety of all those Indendia items; lead to beautiful renders. The renders of the icasohedron (what a nice word) look fantastic.

Vivien: Thanks. Very nice landscape.

Mermaid: Interesting  idea of the tower. I wonder how it would look looking up from close to the base of the tower.

C-ram: What more can I say but: "Wow"! Such a realism. You don't need UE4, because you can get these results with Bryce!

Inspired by Horo's use of Incendia, I went back to Structure Synth and created some 'brocoli-trees'. I put them in the EGDLS lighting system by Rashad Carter and made two renders. First one with soft premium render and soft shadows. Second one with basic AA. Hard to see any differences. But the light on the trees is just a bit better in the first one, I think. However, this render took more than 4 days, while the second one 'only' about two days.

I should mention that I did modify the textures of the cumulus cloud layers (actually, only the colours) to increase the drama. I also made one of the tornado's visible. There are lots of issues with this scene (strange mountain sides, partly above ground connections in the brocoli, too much dark in the clouds, boring plane, etc. So not close to the usual level of people like Horo and C-ram et all. See it as an experiment.

EGDLS_treeland1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    EGDLS_treeland2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited August 2017

Sorry, double entry.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376

@ Horo : Thank you, yes I forget to had more quality to my volumetric cloudscape, woops..

@ Vivien : Thanks! A video showing how photogrammetric is made is better than long explanations : 

Basically, you can create 3d objects using photo shoots from many angles around a subject and the result is as real as reality.

I will sooner send you some nice rocks from my library but you can also download some photogrammetric models from sketchfab and for free :

https://sketchfab.com/search?features=downloadable&q=Rock&sort_by=-pertinence&type=models

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,955
    edited August 2017

C-ram – wow another beautiful photorealistic render.

Horo- thanks, awesome Incendia/Geometrica object renders, love the Anaglyph render. The ColorYagi is very colorful.

Vivien – thanks

Hansmar – thanks, nice experiments with the EGDLS Lighting and Structure Synth. The trees will look awesome in a surreal scene.

I was also inspired by Horo and after some help from him, a fractal generated in Incendia, cleaned up in MeshLab and rendered in Bryce using the SkySC10Hdri.

still-skysc13b.jpg
    500 x 667 - 203K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on

Hansmar - when I saw your trees, I thought they look like brocoli, then I read your comment and laughted. However, they do look cool.

c-ram - interesting method to get stones, quite elaborate but very nice results.

mermaid - thank you. Very nice model and well lit.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited August 2017

Cheers C-ram...yes - I once came across similar 'ware (it was free) years ago; where one could also do such with taking pictures of a person seated.

'Wares, these days are so advancing, it's hard to keep up - I see the ever-popular 'selfie' is how being updated by the 'bothie'. What, the ''bothie': haven't heard, - you guys/gals/dudes are soooo....well, non-fashionable...ooops, I mean...un-cool devil

Gorgeous... Mermaid - wouldn't you love that as a sculpture on your table.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on

@ Hansmar :Thank you! Yes you can render the same things than UE4 with bryce but.. bryce have got a true global illumination render engine that is far better compare to UE4. And bryce is faaaaaaaaaaar simple to use than Unreal Engine! Nice and funny brocoli trees, I could be wrong but I don't think that you need to render an EGDLS picture by using the premium effect render engine. This may cause the long render time for your picture.

@ Mermaid : thank you!

@ Jamahoney : ahh yes.. progress, always progress.. bryce is fun, cool, simple but it stagnates from 7 years now.

Hopefully it can import part of the latest technologies like photogrammetrics objects and 4K textures.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited August 2017

Irina Is Having a Break

It is a G3 character with a dress where its texture has a solution of 8192 x 8192 pixels. I am mention it, because this high resolution texture let Bryce crash, when I tried to save my scene. I needed quite a bit of time to figure it out. Then I resized the texture to 4096 x 4096 and there were no problems anymore.

The bench and the apple are from archive3d.net. The plants and stones are Bryce made. Rendered with TA 64 rpp

g2break.jpg
    685 x 685 - 160K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on

Electro-Elvis - this is a very well done render. Facial expression and posing of Irina are excellent, lighting and vegetation, too. Only suggestion I have: give Irina more head- and foot-room. She appears to be pressed into the image frame. About as much room above her head and below her right foot as her hand has on her left.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited August 2017

The process of learning new software has kept me pretty busy.  In case you are curious, Modo, UVlayout, World Machine, Substance Designer, Substance Painter, Octane, Marvelous Designer and also having to use Poser a bit (which I do not like).  While ocasionally making use of utility software, Crazy Bump, Prepper, Ivygenerator, Bitmap 2 Material, PixPlant, Caustics Generator, x-frog, PSP8... and so forth.  Each with their own quirks of interface and function.  Returning to Bryce is fun, in spite of its many limitations in compairson to some of the above software, because it is possible to get started and have something on screen without all the forward planning necessatated by the mult-software approach.

And in spite of Bryce not being updated in a while, there are still things to explore and I am sure hidden gems left to be uncovered.  So I've been digging deeper into the curvature filter.  It is not the easiest of filters to setup but used with terrains I like the results.  Here's a couple of scenes I've been experimenting with.  HDRI skies provided by Horo, terrains made in World Machine, both use terrain stacking, and the edge wave on the second is another experiment with curvature which can respond to very flat terrains where slope would be too insenstive to give any detail.

Edit.  Yeah, are those images too big?

Test7.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
    Test10.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 772K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on

Beautiful examples. The max width to display on the forum page is 800 px wide, though the picture can be bigger. You set the width in the Edit window where you paste the pictures URI; the height is automatically adjusted to keep the aspect ratio.

Horo said:

Beautiful examples. The max width to display on the forum page is 800 px wide, though the picture can be bigger. You set the width in the Edit window where you paste the pictures URI; the height is automatically adjusted to keep the aspect ratio.

Thank you.  I've edited it.  It displays fine on my browser/monitor combination, but it is always best to check - I know I am not using a standard setup.  I've reduced to the recommended 800.

Nice to see you back David with such beautiful landscapes! I've already use curvature texture with a terrain but never push experience this way. I'm more familiar with vegetation now that I'm using Speedtree or megascans models.
    c-ram said:
    Nice to see you back David with such beautiful landscapes! I've already use curvature texture with a terrain but never push experience this way. I'm more familiar with vegetation now that I'm using Speedtree or megascans models.

Thank you.  Well, in substance designer (which I am really taken with) there are a lot of "nodes" that remind me of Bryce's DTE functions and messing with one of these brought me back to looking again at curvature in Bryce.  Curvature can be applied via colour channels, via filtering and also via mixing.  Additionally there are a few properties that can be switched, like responding to bump for example.  So I was fiddling with these and, because I've seen this before and know what it looks like, I found that under certain conditions it was possible to drive curvature out of the normal functional range - which can give rise to curious effects, like super reflectivity or ambience or diffusion, linked into bump and/or geometry.  Which just explodes the number of options available.  If I can make some kind of sense of it, I'll try and turn it into a video for those who like to experiment.  I'm seeing some effects which seem, for reasons I cannot fathom, must be the way the curvature is sampled, but it might offer a way to generate a material which modifies itself dependent on distance to the camera.  Which is something I've not seen before in Bryce, so I'm going to investigate that next.

Bump_curve_experiment3_1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 499K
    Bump_curve_experiment3_2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 399K
    Bump_curve_experiment3_3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 599K
    edited August 2017

C-RAM: Very good looking stone. Maybe you are right, that the premium effect is not needed. I thought maybe the soft shadow needed it, but I don't think I really miss it in the render without. The light is slightly more interesting, though, in the premium render.

Mermaid: Good looking thingy. Thanks for the comment. Surreal probably nice idea.

Horo: Thanks. Yep, brocoli.

electro-elvis: Very nice render. Good posing and facial expression, vegetation works quite well and , of course, Irina herself does have her qualities. I did not have a problem with the head and footroom. By creating this cramped environment, you also create intimacy. But I do wonder, why the beholder is on his/her knees?

David Brinnen: Very nice to see your work again. I really like the first one: wonderful terrain and fantastic lights.

I used my 'bocoli'-trees as part of an abstract render. No trees at all!

brocoli1.jpg
    875 x 875 - 901K
    edited August 2017

Thanks C-ram - UR, as you know, is very demanding computer-wise, so unless one has the latest spec's and power, such creations will be slow to the most, if not in-applicable (I used UnReal as a platform in the past for some great gamings)

Nice, Elvis...to see female (and any model types) on Bryce now and then.

Nice, David...we Brycers truly miss your contributions. Great images btw - the first really draws one in to the 'scape. More, please!

Jay

Thanks Horo and Jay.

Electro-Elvis – wow beautiful render, stunning model.

David – it’s nice to see you posting again, smiley cool renders especially the 1st one. You were missed. Looking forward to more of your renders, experiments and videos.

Hansmar – thanks, love the broccoli abstract.

David - changing the material with distance looks as a very interesting option.

Hansmar - cool red brocoli abstract.

Hansmar, Jay, mermaid, Horo, thank you.  I will keep you posted on what I find.  The final images are part of the on-going investigation into curvature.  And a cryptic feature it is!  The deeper I dig the stranger it gets.  I'm trying to get it working nicely with bump. The ranges are a bit wild, so I am trying to tame them with hypertextures.  Scale and distance seems to matter in ways that I've yet to grasp.  But the results are interesting.

Bump_curve_experiment3_9.jpg
    800 x 800 - 514K
    Terrain_water_flat_curve_experiment8.jpg
    800 x 800 - 526K
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited August 2017

Greetings!

Well after totally screwing this up. I’ll try again!

Enjoing everyone’s imaged glad to see that Bryce is still kickin’  

Great landscapes from C-ram and David B (glad to see you back David).

Really enjoyed the wonderful fractal structures from Horo and Mermaid.

Love bocoli'-trees, Hansmar, an important part of a balanced Bryce diet.

Here’s one of my new ones. An example of how much you can cram into Bryce’s 2 gig Mac memory space when you reduce image texture size. All the skin textures were 4096x pixels which is total overkill for “landscape” style images.

All textures reduce by 50 to 75% and I figured it saved about 4+ gigs of memory.

All the figures and outfits are Genesis 2, all from DAZ3D.

The structures are from Stonemason’s “Abandoned City” model, also from DAZ3D.

Some building mods were done in Modo as well as the crate.

illuminated by just the Bryce sun.

Rendered at 64 RPP, True Ambience enabled - about 4.5 hours to render at full size.

If you have a large monitor. the full size version (when zoomed out) can be found here:

https://postimg.org/image/5p6rdtoit/

(thanks to Apoc for turning me on to Imagepost.com)

TIA and thanks for taking a look!.

SW_vice.jpg
    1024 x 650 - 225K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 842
    edited August 2017

@Dan Whiteside: Wonderful picture. Interesting characters, very nicely posed in front of a impressive building (I think, that is the next thing I will buy from DAZ ;-) .
    I always thought until I saw your scene, that it is not possible to add more than 2 or 3 Genesis 2 characters to a Bryce scene (if your are lucky and have LAA, which might unfortunately not be available for Mac) . But you have showed it is possible. Reducing the skin texture size - good thinking!
    This offers a lot of possibilities. I found out, that it is possible to put 7 Genesis 1 characters into a Bryce scene. With your approach we can finally make mass scenes with 20 persons :-) (But I suppose it is also quite a bit of work)

Post edited by Electro-Elvis on

David - very interesting examples. The DTE and Mat Lab seem to be still full of surprises waiting to be discovered.

Dan - that's a beautiful and very elaborate scene. I'm not doing a lot with characters but what I've heard here and there is that the mesh size is the lesser problem than the huge image maps.

@Dan Whiteside : well done! This scene in this little piece of town is beautiful!

@Electro elvis : nice character on his bench. Something to know about 8K textures : bryce can only load them. Using that kind of textures on objects is fine when you like to make some close up on a model. It's particularly recommended for still life render and, when you want to render some very large picture up to 5 or 6K (what Bryce is unable to..). 4K textures are perfect for Bryce and let you work on a large range of definitions.

edited August 2017

Somewhere I have a vague recollection also that unlike DS Bryce does not allow image compression internally.  UV maps tend to have a lot of unused realestate, anything up to 40% unused depending on the geometry.  60% usage is pretty bad, but sometimes it is unavoidable if you want to make the map human readable.  Software can make almost anything (unless it is very basic or badly subdivied) pack into the 80% to 90% range.  But either way, if Bryce unpacks all these images internally to the native resolution.  That's going to eat up memory alarmingly.  Substance painter has exceeded the 48 Gb mark on my PC on one texturing project - for similar reasons to Bryce I expect - but then it all gets packed down at the end.  Still anyway, I digress, the lighting is excellent Dan, no burn out, convinvingly power, good but not too deep shadows, very nice.

Curvature filtering experiments continue, they don't look much, mostly infiniate planes and primitives at various distances.  I don't know what scope for usefulness these findings will have, but it is always interesting to know.  However in the interest of having a bit of fun.  Here's some simple images using complex materials.  Two planes, three planes, inside a cube and inside another cube.

Bump_curve_experiment6_a1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 726K
    Bump_curve_experiment6_a3.jpg
    800 x 800 - 703K
    Terrain_water_flat_curve_experiment8_1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 797K
    Terrain_water_flat_curve_experiment8_2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 753K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited August 2017

Wonderful images, David, but I don't think they put across your curvature filtering points...unless you explain more.

As a scientist, I'm always being criticised - friend-wise - as talking gibberish, but as a writer also of such, I have to simple-down the complexities to something understandable.

Explaining complex topics will go on forever, so no worries, but I do find your YouTube's very informative and explanative (at least, one can pause, rewind etc.,).

Jay

edited August 2017

David - interesting abstract renders.

Dan - wow a beautiful scene.

A seascape using Cloudslab14 from the Sky Toolbox.

eg10.jpg
    900 x 450 - 157K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    Jamahoney said:

Wonderful images, David, but I don't think they put across your curvature filtering points...unless you explain more.

As a scientist, I'm always being criticised - friend-wise - as talking gibberish, but as a writer also of such, I have to simple-down the complexities to something understandable.

Explaining complex topics will go on forever, so no worries, but I do find your YouTube's very informative and explanative (at least, one can pause, rewind etc.,).

Jay

Aye, well I'm a long way from putting points over just yet.  It is enough at the moment to have got it working (sort of).  This was just by way of showing something was possible with it.  It's a bit of an oddity to drive curvature with bump and I think there may be some bugs... but that has yet to be determined.  Maybe I still lack an understanding of what is going on.  You have a stituation where the cuvature is swtiching bump patterns, yet it is the bump patters that determines the switching... so there must be some internal order of events.  But yes, rest assured experiments are being experimeneted.

Nice work Mermaid.  Is this a toy boat or are we on the battlements of a castle or a high cliff - too high to be in the crows nest of another ship perhaps?

• vivienvivien Posts: 184

Horo – Lovely translucent colors in your incendia abstract

Hansmar – Your brocolini trees look good enough to eat… Well done.

C-ram  - Thank you for the information re photogrammetric models… Very interesting and the result is very realistic.

Mermaid -  Lovely material and lighting to your fractal. And lovely seascape.  looks like a great day for sailing

Electro – Elvis. -  Beautiful  render of Irina….. The surrounding setup and posing looks very nice.

David Brinnen – You have certainly been very busy. … But its so nice to see your beautiful  renders again. I really like the depth of the first one.

Dan Whiteside – What a wonderful  scene .  The attitude portrayed in the characters  posing  is really good.

This discussion has been closed.