Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 10

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,003

Jay and Horo  thanks for your comments.smiley

Hansmar - I can't really say which I like better, all are so cool.

Horo - another interesting experiment, downloading the pdf now. Thanksyes

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,128
    edited July 2017

Jamahoney - thank you for asking Jay. Yes, it does but only a tiny bit. The problem is Boost Light and it stops AA-ing for a regular render and for a TA one. For a clay render (like Dave's Desert Temple) Boost Light helps increasing the contrast, without it, it gets flat because Diffusion must be increased. My Icosahedron render can do without, the difference is not very obvious, I subtracted a render with and without Boost Light and then the difference can be seen.

Mermaid - thank you.

Below one of several test renders shows how Boost Light ignores AA-ing if the backdrop is very bright, no matter whether the render is regular or TA. How does Boost Light work? Here the words of the programmer:

"When boost light is off every ray colour is clipped to [0..1] values and only after that averaged to pixel value, when the boost light is on value is averaged and only then clipped.

Those approaches are identical when normal light is used, but can make difference for premium effects: TA, blurred reflections/transmission and soft shadows."

And I can add now, if the backdrop is very bright no anti-aliasing.

BLAA

If Boost Light is disabled, the render above looks impeccable.

BLAA.jpg
    800 x 520 - 51K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791

That's very useful to know - thanks, as always, Horo, for the in-depth knowledge and experiment/tests.

Jay

edited July 2017

I experimented with Horo’s new pdf Hdri-Light Control but it is for you professional guys; too mind-bogging.  Anyway I still had fun, using a icosahedron object and the Simplon Hdri.

icosahedron - hdri light.jpg
    500 x 500 - 98K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited July 2017

Jamahoney - thanks, hope it helps...

Mermaid - well, I'm not exactly a pro guy, I just like to comprehend what's going on. A true artist sdjusts the controls until happy with the result, I'm not an artist and rather work from the theoretical side. Whatever - your Icosahedron came out fine - could be a bit brighter, perhaps.

In fact, while investigating the IBL options I found it boring creating different HDRI to test with. I found it more interesting and challenging to write a tiny program (34 KB) that can do this for me. The program creates a single colour spherical HDRI. You enter the red, green and blue colour values and a multiplier and the custom built HDRI is created in less than a second. I have it for free on my website: https://horo.ch/docs/progs/light_en.html just look for UniHDRI.

DT-TV-Spec

Two renders using Dave's Desert Temple and rendering it with the Specular Method. The HDRIs were made with the new UniHDRI progrm.

DT-TV-Spec.jpg
    930 x 640 - 87K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited July 2017

Horo- thanks. I know you are neither a pro nor an artist, but someone who loves Bryce and who is showing us how versatile/flexible Bryce really is, and new, interesting ways to use it. Thanks.yessmiley My brain is just dead cells; I don’t understand much so I basically play with the controls. 

Love the results of the new tests. Downloading the file now, something to play with over the weekend.Thankswink

Here’s a landscape using a Cloudslab from the Sky Toolbox

cloudslab9.jpg
    1000 x 600 - 432K

Super, Mermaid...that cloud, that sun behind it cool

Jay

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,756

What would we do without Horo? Great experimenting and nice little HDRI function.

Mermaid: wonderful landscape in great light!

Hansmar - thank you.

Sorry, tiny error in the advertised UniHDRI tool. If you already downloaded it, replace it with the new one (same version).

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited July 2017

Taking some little of my time to power on  my computer to pick up something to show you. So, that's just one of my unpublished image. Something I've worked on earlier this year.

One more time a study of a canvas from Yvan Shishkin. I've modeled the trees with speedtree (about 10 models with at least 150k to 250k polygons each). All those trees are of course instanced but there's also many xfrog plants to compose the scene.

Render with T.A mode as usual.

About 8 hours to render at this resolution in 64 rays per pixel.

Mermaid : excellent bryce landscape render, the lightning is looking perfect this way while the sun is passing through the cloudscape.

Keep coming the good works and remember : 

"It's not the software that makes the right artist, but the artist who bends the right software"

Spring creek.jpg
    1330 x 1820 - 1013K
    Post edited by c-ram on
  • cyberjymcyberjym Posts: 33
    edited July 2017

Hey There Brycians.

Heres some random pixels ive been workin on.

U20170721ntitled.jpg
    1754 x 1005 - 317K
    ememmmem6ed4ay2.jpg
    2000 x 1191 - 2M
    20170604ntitled2.jpg
    866 x 773 - 750K
    Post edited by cyberjym on
    edited July 2017

c-ram - a most beautiful and realistic render. The trees are impeccable. Most of the trunks of Bryce trees are too short, yours look as I see them when hiking in the forest. The foreground with the creek, moss and stones looks awesome.

cyberjym - very nice modeling. The walled city looks very good.

The terrain consists of 16 tiles and was additionally reduced in resolution to stack it trice. Materials and sky from the Gritstone Hills set.

Dark Lake

DarkLake.jpg
    1200 x 795 - 246K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 846
    edited July 2017

@Horo: Another terrific looking landscape of yours. The clouds are beautiful

@cyberjim: Agree with Horo. Very good models especially the city

@c-ram: An outstanding render. I love everything of it, but especially these depth of the forest, where you hardly can distinguish a single trunk or tree.

@mermaid010: Amazing landscape with really nice positioned sun.

At the weekend I downloaded this small car, a Kia Picanto. I retextured it entirely. If is a very fine model by Richard Bendler at archive3d.net. I have placed it in urban sprawl 2 by Stonemason

Kia Picanto

kiaincity.jpg
    1000 x 643 - 139K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited July 2017

Thanks Jay, Hansmar and C-ram smiley

C-ram - I admire you patience and dedication to produce these masterpieces, amazing landscape, thanks for the encouraging words. smiley

cyberjym - cool modeling, I like the 1st one.

Horo - another beautiful mountains, love the clouds

edited July 2017

Electro-Elvis - thank you. Great work on the materials for the Kia and very nicely presented; it looks very realistic.

Mermaid - thank you.

I unearthed an old triple stacked inverted terrain and gave it new materials. The sun supports the visible one in the HDRI that provides the sky and ambient light. In front of the camera the EWL lens.

Rock Blocks

RockBlocks.jpg
    1200 x 690 - 198K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited July 2017

@c-ram: incredible forest render. Very realistic!

@cyberjym: nice works. I really like the first one (could be a big stadium or something).

@Horo: Wonderful landscapes; great clouds in the first one.

@Electro-Elvis: Fantastic materials and great render of this little car.

I remade one with the desert temple. Put a glass bubble in front of the camera and got a fata morgana, I think.

DesertTempleUpload3a2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 682K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
    edited July 2017

Hansmar - thank you. Cool idea with the fata morgana.

This one is for the anaglyph fans with red/cyan goggles. The objects were generated by formulae in INCENDIA_EX, converted to a 3D object in Geometrics, cleaned up in MeshLab and smoothed in Bryce, the text was written in EleFont and the seamless backdrop is from Art Wade (Fencepost52).

ShapeNr10xxxAna

S10xxxAna.jpg
    1200 x 540 - 158K
    Post edited by Horo on

Electro-Elvis - Thanks for the comment. Love the KIA -- you did an awesome job with the textures.

Horo- Superb render

Hansmar - very nice effect.

edited July 2017

Horo and Mermaid: Thanks.

A quick other set of renders. An oldy (snowmountains) reworked. I had a version with negative light. I added a self-made lens of sorts, changed the negative light (coloured it) and redirected camera and lens combi a bit. The second one is the same view without lens and without negative light.

snowmountains_negative_green.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    snowmountains_negative2.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M
    edited July 2017

C-ram...gorgeous - as expected (can almost hear bird calls in the distant echo - perhaps, a mockingjay - combine this scene with the lulaby from 'The Hunger Games').

Cyberjym...looks like an area to set up an UnReal game platform in...super.

Horo, pheew, on terrains, Ewls use, and 3D effect that I could almost touch.

Elvis, to tell you the truth, I'd be embarrassed to drive in such, BUT, the render is perfect (love the reflections and other stuff that you so obviously gave detail in to).

Hansmar, I had to look up 'fata morgana', and while I hadn't a clue, I'm now the more wiser...cheers wink Les Cowley does an APOD site worth checking out (currently, on rainbows etc.,, but he changes topics regularly), and so I suspect I've seen this effect in the past, but never knew about its named effect...more its physical effect as mentioned by Les.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    Jamahoney said:

Hansmar, I had to look up 'fata morgana', and while I hadn't a clue, I'm now the more wiser...cheers wink Les Cowley does an APOD site worth checking out (currently, on rainbows etc.,, but he changes topics regularly), and so I suspect I've seen this effect in the past, but never knew about its named effect...more its physical effect as mentioned by Les.

Jay

Quite clear then, that my 'fata Morgana' is not really one. In general terms it is sometimes used for things people think they see, but that are not there in reality. For example when people in desert situations think they see an oasis, while it is not there.

Mermaid - thank you.

Hansmar - interesting experiment with coloured negative light and lens.

Jamahoney - thank you.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited July 2017

Thanks to everyone for your great comments!

Elvis : nice car, reminds me Gran Turismo or Project cars model.

Hansmar : ahah Fata Morgana, something really hard and rare to observe in real life! You've done a great job here!

Horo : the EWL lens is giving an incredible depth to your landscape. I like it!

I'm back to Bryce while I am in holiday so, right now I'm working on some new trees to compose a new library.

Post edited by c-ram on
    edited July 2017

Horo, C-ram: Thanks. Just playing around and let serendepity do it's work!

New abstract. One elongated cube, rotated in all directions, a blue sky, no atmosphere and a self-made lens in front of the camera. Sun from the back of the object (right in front of the camera). Hope you like it. A version with cube rotated only on the x-axis (simpler forms) and black sky is on Renderosity.

red blue forms.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 368K
    edited July 2017

And another one: different rotation of the cubes, rotated the lens 180 degrees and played with the distance to get this form: red stairs. Enjoy!

red stairs.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 469K
    edited July 2017

c-ram - thank you Marco.

Hansmar - cool abstracts and nice colour choices. Darn abstracts, just change a tiny bit and something completely different pops up. In the end, deciding which iteration is the best takes up most of the time wink

Post edited by Horo on

Horo - awesome anaglyph, love it. 

Hansmar - nice experiments with negative lights and the abstracts are so cool.

First one looks like a whale's eye.

Jay

Horo, Mermaid, Jay: Thanks. I agree with Horo: too much to choose! But great fun. And, Jay, whale's eye? Maybe!

edited July 2017

Mermaid - thank you.

I have been playing with Incendia, Geometrica and MeshLab and made 20 objects for the Bryce objects library. This is the left one above in the anaglyph.

Expedition

Expedition.jpg
    1200 x 810 - 135K
    Post edited by Horo on
This discussion has been closed.