Adding Dual Quaternion support to UnrealEngine4 (Images inside)

Comments

• strezoiualexandrustrezoiualexandru Posts: 47
    edited April 2020

Hey guys, 
    I have an issue running the setup.bat

Any info on how to fix this, please?

L.E. Fixed by moving the folder around.

setup.JPG
    1242 x 552 - 66K
    Post edited by strezoiualexandru on
  • Ellessarr said:
    Ellessarr said:

This works great! I have the major bones set up so far. No finger or toes yet. Makes a huge difference bending the foot bones backwards.

i sended a pm for you

Ellessarr said:

i've started to follo this topich which looks really interesting since i'm using to unreal to make my game and planning to use daz and it's looks like being a little complicated and after reading the thread it's really looks interesting my only problem is if we can have any chance of it being a plugging instead of a mod to be compiled with the engine, could be much more fast if it could be like a plugging which could make things more fast.

Hey man, 

I have see your video, it's great. 
    I wanted to ask if you have any video recorded on how to import the characters, with genitalia morphs, in UE4?

• EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,390
    Ellessarr said:
    Ellessarr said:

This works great! I have the major bones set up so far. No finger or toes yet. Makes a huge difference bending the foot bones backwards.

i sended a pm for you

Ellessarr said:

i've started to follo this topich which looks really interesting since i'm using to unreal to make my game and planning to use daz and it's looks like being a little complicated and after reading the thread it's really looks interesting my only problem is if we can have any chance of it being a plugging instead of a mod to be compiled with the engine, could be much more fast if it could be like a plugging which could make things more fast.

Hey man, 

I have see your video, it's great. 
    I wanted to ask if you have any video recorded on how to import the characters, with genitalia morphs, in UE4?

well you cam import the "genitalia morphs in the same way you can import any other morph you want

first you have to have the "base character model and the "genitalia mesh", then selecting the genitalia mesh: 

in the "shapings" panel look  for the morph you want to export (you must have the "genitalia" mesh selected) then go to the wheel and click on it, it will bring the morph settings then selet and copy the "morph name"(the first name), then when click in export mark "morph" the look for the "morph rules" option then add the "morph name on that option then save it, now whenever you export a model it will "if possible" export that morph(if the model allow this morph), if you don't want anymore it to be exported then open again the morph rules and remove the morph name or just unmark/uncheck the morph option, the same can be applied to any morph or even "pose controls or corrective morphs";

Important notes:

1 - at last in genesis 8 most if not all mesh body morphs also will be applied to "outfits" or any other "extra" mesh in the model for exemple the voluptuous body morph you only need to export the "main body mesh" it also will be automatically created one for the "outfit" when exporting then you don't need to add the "outfit version in case the outfit have it(only in case the outfit version is better than the body mesh for the outfit.

2 - the same of the option 1 don't applied in reverse which i means a "outfit morph exported will be applied only to the outfit not to the character model (to be honest at last i never tried to test it to confirm)

3 - "many "morphs are "compatible with body male and female models, which means you only need to export "one version" for exemple a "body build morph, if you mark to export a female character or genesis 8 female base and add the body builder morph to be exported with her, later if you try to export a "male characters" you don't need to add the "male bodybuilder" version the female will work for male too in the same way the "male would work", this again is also true for pose controls and expressions, like if you export a female expression that "female also can be applied to a male if you try to export a male character without remove the "female expression" it will work on the male too, only really few "exclusive morphs can't be applied"

i hope it can help you.

unreal 4.25 is out hope it get a update for that.

• mixavisliymixavisliy Posts: 1
    edited May 2020

hello.

sory for bad english, but i need help. 

if i use command git remote -v, i have this

origin  https://github.com/myuser/UnrealEngine.git (fetch)
    origin  https://github.com/myuser/UnrealEngine.git (push)
    upstream        https://github.com/AlienRenders/UnrealEngine.git (fetch)
    upstream        https://github.com/AlienRenders/UnrealEngine.git (push)

if I keep going, then after "Compare to branch", coose "upstream/release" and "Merge into 4.24-mod" I have many conflict files, but I don't have a "push origin" button.

Post edited by mixavisliy on
  • MacislavMacislav Posts: 125

When will the update for UE 4.25 arrive?

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 1,952
    edited May 2020

Just seen this video and it will blow you away, the video showcases the all new Unreal Engine 5.. And all I can say it is freaking amazing with what they are able to do now..

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • Hi guys.

Could someone help me to merge DQ branch with UE 4.25 ?

Because I have some troubles. As I unerstood in 4.25 version was added GPUSKIN_UNLIMITED_BONE_INFLUENCE. So due to this feature simple merging became hell. Two days but no results. Sometimes engine was successfully run but with mess in animation. I am not failiar with UE4 shaders but I think issue in these two files( GpuSkinVertexFactory.ush, GpuSkinCacheComputeShader.usf). Simple merge and resolve conflicts doesn't help. There is need some development.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards

edited May 2020

Any news on this matter? Almost a month since UE 4.25 has been released and no DQ mod yet?

Post edited by Macislav on
    Macislav said:

Any news on this matter? Almost a month since UE 4.25 has been released and no DQ mod yet?

for what i get from the mod creator he is not checking the forum and his private messages in the same speed as he used to do in the past, then it can take a little more time for this to happen than before.

edited May 2020

Is there a way to find out, which of those many cpp files (in the last version) have been modified by him, so we could do it ourselves in the future. We need to become self-sufficient in that regard.

It's a shame that Epic still didn't implement DQ Skinning  as Standard Skinning Method in their Engine, while many other tools are relying on it (Maya, CryEngine, Blender, DAZ...).

edited May 2020
    Macislav said:

Is there a way to find out, which of those many cpp files (in the last version) have been modified by him, so we could do it ourselves in the future. We need to become self-sufficient in that regard.

It's a shame that Epic still didn't implement DQ Skinning  as Standard Skinning Method in their Engine, while many other tools are relying on it (Maya, CryEngine, Blender, DAZ...).

for what i read here and saw in others places, they used to have it, but it's seens they feel was too troublesome in that time for then to have it and not enough peoples were using, most of then were using just corrective morphs then have then they ended dropping it later to make things "simple" but if you feel like you can go to they oficial forum and go in the feedback and ask to add it back, if enough peoples demand it maybe they can feel add it back.

Post edited by Ellessarr on
    edited June 2020

Can anyone confirm, that the files given in the link are those that have been modified by AlienRenders?

https://github.com/AlienRenders/UnrealEngine/commit/a1b5c0a00fec07027f6628be5fd69635f549eabb

(click where it says "11 changed files" for a listing)

• Macislav said:

Can anyone confirm, that the files given in the link are those that have been modified by AlienRenders?

https://github.com/AlienRenders/UnrealEngine/commit/a1b5c0a00fec07027f6628be5fd69635f549eabb

(click where it says "11 changed files" for a listing)

Yes. But as I wrote before simple merge and resolve conflicts didn't help because in 4.25 version added unlimited bone influence. But anyway if you will have success with it please share with us.

edited June 2020

What does "unlimited bone influence" mean. Can any vertex now have influences from an unlimited number of bones insteand of the standard 8? So no more bone number checks necessary?

edited June 2020

I think it has something to do with the following part of the release notes:

Release Notes UE 4.25

Skeletal Mesh:

• New: The maximum number of bone influences per vertex is now 12.

• New: Support for variable influences per vertex has been added and is used by default for meshes with more than 8 bone influences.

The second sentence seems to mean "up to 'unlimited' influences per vertex, where necessary".

edited June 2020

It seems as if there is some new code in GpuSkinVertexFactory.ush, especially in the parts/blocks which begin with

#if GPUSKIN_UNLIMITED_BONE_INFLUENCE

The question is how many bone influences do daz characters normally need? More than 8?

Maybe we can just make an emergency fix for the parts that have been working so far and leave the 'unlimited' block as it is and do as if nothing has changed ? :-)

Or we simply copy the code from the #if GPUSKIN_USE_EXTRA_INFLUENCES blocks to the #if GPUSKIN_UNLIMITED_BONE_INFLUENCE blocks?

Generally the unlimited bone influence part has to be treated like an additional case thas was not there before 4.25

edited June 2020

AlienRenders came to life again :-)

4.25 mod is online!

Unfortunately activating "support compute skin cache" crashes the editor on trying to open the project.

ue425_crash.jpg
    429 x 223 - 53K
  • fbollfboll Posts: 2
    edited June 2020

@Macislav

1 - Activate the "Support Compute Skin Cache" in the project settings. Save your project and exit (not restarting);

2 - In your project folder, go to  Config folder, open "DefaultEngine.ini" file and, BEFORE the line "r.SkinCache.CompileShaders=True",add this line :

r.ShaderDevelopmentMode=True

3 - Launch UE4, open your project : you will see a message about a wrong #if/#endif set in the file GPUSkinCacheComputeShader.usf. This is our issue.

4 - Now in VisualStudio, open your UE4.sln, locate "Shaders/Private/GPUSkinCacheComputeShader.usf". Add "#endif" to the line 262. Build the solution.

5 - Bingo, now you can open the project.

But this should be tested to check if it's fully working. 

Post edited by fboll on

As I understand I can leave out steps 1-3 and go directly to step 4 and 5? :-)

• fbollfboll Posts: 2

Feel free to do it, but keep in mind that to solve a problem, first you need to detect it ... wink

You're right :-)

• AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 789
    edited September 2020

Ah, did I miss a line? If there's something that needs updating, please leave a comment here. I can update it Sunday (I think I have free time then). I'll at least check if it's missing that line. I didn't see a new version out yet which is odd. They tend to crank them out quickly.

Anyone try out the DAZ to UE4 bridge? Looks like this should make UE4 content creation much easier. I might start making a game... which means a lot more updates. Maybe some new plugins like keeping feet flat to the surface they are standing on, like inclined planes.

About bone influences, there are 4 options, many of which seem difficult or impossible to set. In the past, it was 4 bone influences... or 8 if there were more than 4 influences. Now it will automatically go to infinite influences if you use more than 8. There is another option to only use 2 bone influences. But I didn't see an option to turn off unlimited bone influences.

DAZ characters (Gen 8) do use more than 8 bone influences in the face. I usually remove most of the bones in the face and use morphs. I'm not sure how much slower infinite bone influences is compared to 4 or 8. Anyone try it?

edit: 4.25.3 is out. I'll update to that at least on Sunday.

Post edited by AlienRenders on

Ah, did I miss a line? If there's something that needs updating, please leave a comment here. I can update it Sunday (I think I have free time then). I'll at least check if it's missing that line. I didn't see a new version out yet which is odd. They tend to crank them out quickly.

Anyone try out the DAZ to UE4 bridge? Looks like this should make UE4 content creation much easier. I might start making a game... which means a lot more updates. Maybe some new plugins like keeping feet flat to the surface they are standing on, like inclined planes.

About bone influences, there are 4 options, many of which seem difficult or impossible to set. In the past, it was 4 bone influences... or 8 if there were more than 4 influences. Now it will automatically go to infinite influences if you use more than 8. There is another option to only use 2 bone influences. But I didn't see an option to turn off unlimited bone influences.

DAZ characters (Gen 8) do use more than 8 bone influences in the face. I usually remove most of the bones in the face and use morphs. I'm not sure how much slower infinite bone influences is compared to 4 or 8. Anyone try it?

edit: 4.25.3 is out. I'll update to that at least on Sunday.

wow would be cool, the pluging updated to the last version, yeah the bridge is out and it's "work" some stuffs not fully work outside daz realm but excluding those stuffs most of the things works fine.

this thread can help to know the "limitations

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/432206/daz-to-unreal-guide-for-newcomers-the-famous-before-your-buy-or-limitations#latest

also you could provide again a link to your "mod".

• 4.26 is out (and the DQ mod). I also fixed 4.25-mod.

• Is there anyway to import skeletal meshes without DQ? Some of my meshes use linear skinning but in ue4 they are all using DQ. Also is there a way to package for windows 32bit, the option is not there no matter what settings

• If you don't want DQ, just use the default Epic build of UE4. If you want some to use DQ on some meshes and not use DQ on other meshes, then no. That would require a flag somewhere in the skeletal structure and no one who works on UE4 could give me docs or tell me how the internals work. Or they just couldn't be bothered. It would also require compiling shaders with different defines (defines are specified at compile time) and would also require coding up BOTH DQ and linear skinning. I mean, it's theoretically possible, but it'd be an insane amount of detective work and coding. Well, it'd be more of a nightmare trying to move compile time stuff to be dynamic at runtime. As for the 32bit question, that's again a topic for the Epic devs. I'd be surprised if they still support 32bit. I just loaded up MSVC. There's still a 32bit platform compile option available. Have you tried that?

• @AlienRenders could you update your 4.25-mod branch to lastest from 4.25 branch please?

• Anybody use plugin Daz to Unreal with DQ-mod? Plugin has a great stuff such as work with JCMs. http://davidvodhanel.com/daz-to-unreal-jcm-examples/ Now its free.

Plugin create Animation Blueprint (animBP) with hundreds of nodes:

imageimage

When I use both DQ-mod and this animBP Daz models of course looks much better.

But an error appear if we try to enable plugin in this custom DQ engine :

I solve this problem by merging (copy) project files (model with animBP) from normally working stock engine to engine with DQ-mod. Its not what I want but it works. Any ideas how it would be more easy/correct?

Sorry for my bad English.

animbp1.jpg
    838 x 937 - 230K
    animbp2.jpg
    1261 x 686 - 212K
    missing modules.jpg
    407 x 211 - 23K
  • @AlienRenders could you update your 4.25-mod branch to lastest from 4.25 branch please?

Sure. I'll try to get to it this weekend (or earlier if I have time).