Adding Dual Quaternion support to UnrealEngine4 (Images inside)

14567810»

Comments

  • AlienRenders said:

    As I've mentioned many times, the DQ stuff cannot be made into a plugin as it changes the main behaviour of the engine.

     When i donwload the unreal engine source from your github it takes 3x more space than same version of the original Epic games store version and also the second problem is when i delete a project that is created from your -mod and i create a new one it still takes up space from my disc(around 1 gb), why does it happen. to download the -mod it took me 60-70 gb and to build the UE4 took me another 60 gb. 

    I understand you cant make it as a plugin so, Is there a way to merge only the necessery dual quaternion scripts instead of downloading the entire source because it takes way more space than the original Unreal verion, if there is a way can you or anyone here explain what to add and delete? (im talking modifying/adding/deleting scripts from unreal engine 5-mod to unreal engine 5 original)

    i tried to remove and add what github showed but it ended up with errors

  • I would like to second the thoughts in the above post. I've succesfully gotten DQ skinning to work in multiple 4.xx versions of Unreal. However, the folder sizes balloon into these huge, bloated messes. 

    Why? Why is this necessary? You said yourself that the base default version of Unreal even includes a bit of the things that used to be added by this hack. 

    I really appreciate and respect all the people involved in modifying Unreal to work better with Daz characters. And I understand that with the big MetaHuman push from Epic they are vanishinly unlikely to officially make it a smooth process to bring in human characters from other software.

    But for real, is there any way possible, any way at all, to just edit things under the hood of the usual Unreal install, and thus avoid these bloated doppleganger versions that take forever to download and compile? 

  • yaruuvvayaruuvva Posts: 33

    Hello AlienRenders,

    If you export Genesis 3 Female as FBX and import it into UE5 (your DQS mod) this is how a character's head looks.

    Stock UE5 does not have this problem.

     

     

    head_mesh_problem.png
    1203 x 586 - 1M
  • wxy112300 said:

    I converted a project from 4.26.2 to 4.26.0-mod, Daz Character looks fine, but my Metahuman Character looks very weird. Is there a way to compatible two characters?

  • yaruuvva said:

    Hello AlienRenders,

    If you export Genesis 3 Female as FBX and import it into UE5 (your DQS mod) this is how a character's head looks.

    Stock UE5 does not have this problem.

     

    Try enabling unlimited bone influences

  • I'm looking at my UE5 folder and it's 260GB. That's insane. Looks like the branch I cut from had tons of plugins and that's the official 5.0 release. Not sure these are all necessary. There's 70GB in there after it's built. Intermediate folder is 80GB. I think it's building everything. I might take a look this weekend and see if I can update and cut down the build somewhat. I'll prioritize the update first. BTW, it's not my build. I just merged my code changes. The build should be identical to the stock UE5 build. Hopefully, it'll be cut down with the new update.

    I do want to try to include on option to switch DQS on or off at some point. Just gotta find the time.

     

  • AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 745
    edited August 2022

    Oh, and I'm thinking of doing a pull request to the official UE5 branch to get at least the math DQ changes added. They're just math functions and don't need to be maintained. I just have to find how they run their unit tests if they have any.

    Anyways, the goal of that is that right now changing the math code affects everything. But if it's already in the official build, it would only be one or 2 dll's and some shaders that change to get DQS to work. I could maybe create a patch install for official releases. So you'd install the official release, then the patch and you have DQS. Problem there is forcing the shaders to rebuild but I think I can fix that too.

    Also, the more stuff is in the official build, the likelier it is that they would include full DQS eventually.

    Once I get the option to turn on/off DQS and fix the morph issues with it, I think I'll try a pull request on the main ue5 branch. The worst that can happen is they say no. If they say yes, then we're all set.

    Post edited by AlienRenders on
  • AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 745
    edited August 2022

    I updated 5.0-mod. To build with your compiler start a x64 native tools command prompt for the VS version you want to use. If you get an error about unrealbuildtool.dll not being built, type this:

    set Platform=

    Then run GenerateProjectFiles.bat again.

    And yes, there's nothing after the equal sign.

    I haven't built this one yet. I may only have time this weekend.

     

     

    Post edited by AlienRenders on
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 1,382

    AlienRenders said:

    Oh, and I'm thinking of doing a pull request to the official UE5 branch to get at least the math DQ changes added. They're just math functions and don't need to be maintained. I just have to find how they run their unit tests if they have any.

    Anyways, the goal of that is that right now changing the math code affects everything. But if it's already in the official build, it would only be one or 2 dll's and some shaders that change to get DQS to work. I could maybe create a patch install for official releases. So you'd install the official release, then the patch and you have DQS. Problem there is forcing the shaders to rebuild but I think I can fix that too.

    Also, the more stuff is in the official build, the likelier it is that they would include full DQS eventually.

    Once I get the option to turn on/off DQS and fix the morph issues with it, I think I'll try a pull request on the main ue5 branch. The worst that can happen is they say no. If they say yes, then we're all set.

    that would be amazing, we really need this fix because currently is really hard to work with daz characters in unreal with dq and the new ml deform looks abit bonk currently to be a really viable way. 

  • AlienRenders said:

    I updated 5.0-mod. To build with your compiler start a x64 native tools command prompt for the VS version you want to use. If you get an error about unrealbuildtool.dll not being built, type this:

    set Platform=

    Then run GenerateProjectFiles.bat again.

    And yes, there's nothing after the equal sign.

    I haven't built this one yet. I may only have time this weekend.

    i have visual studio 2019/2022 and it says i need to use visual studio 2015. still not working

     

  • AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 745
    edited September 2022

    UE5 doesn't build with 2015. So something is out of whack. Working on 5.1 right now.

    edit: 5.1-mod should be ready.

    I tried looking at disk usage and it's 25GB of source at the start. Then Setup downloads 20GB of dependencies but the UE5 folder grows to 100GB. Then the actual build grows to 205GB. I tried building an install, but it's taking forever as it has to build the developer editor and the game runtime, so it builds everything twice. If I have time later, I'll try building 5.1 without my changes and see what it does.

    Post edited by AlienRenders on
  • AlienRenders said:

    UE5 doesn't build with 2015. So something is out of whack. Working on 5.1 right now.

    edit: 5.1-mod should be ready.

    I tried looking at disk usage and it's 25GB of source at the start. Then Setup downloads 20GB of dependencies but the UE5 folder grows to 100GB. Then the actual build grows to 205GB. I tried building an install, but it's taking forever as it has to build the developer editor and the game runtime, so it builds everything twice. If I have time later, I'll try building 5.1 without my changes and see what it does.

    Another question is when i delete a project in unreal engine build it wont delete the entire space is it a bug or how do i delete the entire project so i can have the same amount of GB as i had before creating it? 

  • Make sure to back up anything you need before doing anything suggested here...

    I usually have a C++ UE project in a different folder all together. So when you delete a project, you delete the source folder manually. You can go into the editor and delete it, but that's just to remove it from the list. I haven't removed projects from the editor in ages, sorry.

    The thing is these projects would be tiny in comparison if you've just created the basic projects and haven't done much work on it. It sounds like you want to delete a UE build all together. That's a whole different ballgame. Again, you would delete the folder you used for the UE build. I'm afraid I'll need more info on what you're trying to do exactly.

    If you mean that you want to start your build over, you can do "clean" in Visual Studio to remove all the object files and dll's. That'll leave you with just the original source (though I don't think it removes everything it built like shaders). Third party dependencies will still be there. So you'll be back to around 100GB. To go below that, you'll need to delete the UE folder and redo git clone. Not sure why you would want to do this if it built correctly.

    If you're trying to remove a previous version (like you built 5.1 and don't want 5.0 anymore), then you just delete the 5.0 folder. You may need to upgrade your personal projects to use 5.1. I haven't upgraded local projects yet.

    Remember that on Windows, deleted files go in the Trashcan unless it's too big to fit. So to regain the space, don't forget to empty the Trashcan.

     

  • AlienRendersAlienRenders Posts: 745
    edited October 2022

    I'm updating 5.1 (and 5.1-mod). Looks like I update exactly when the build was broken. I'm seeing a possible fix in the logs, so updating again since my last update earlier. So if you're getting an error generating the project files, try again later. Hopefully, this will be sorted out soon.

    Also, I'm going full time into developing my own game. It's not one that requires DAZ characters (for the first game), but hopefully I'll be able to finally finish the option to toggle DQS on/off soon-ish. And I will make a pull request to get at least the quaternion changes added to the main codebase. I just need to figure out where they have their unit tests.

    edit: 5.1-mod appears to be updated and working again. I haven't built it yet, but it now generates the project files at least.

    Post edited by AlienRenders on
  • AlienRenders said:

    Make sure to back up anything you need before doing anything suggested here...

    I usually have a C++ UE project in a different folder all together. So when you delete a project, you delete the source folder manually. You can go into the editor and delete it, but that's just to remove it from the list. I haven't removed projects from the editor in ages, sorry.

    The thing is these projects would be tiny in comparison if you've just created the basic projects and haven't done much work on it. It sounds like you want to delete a UE build all together. That's a whole different ballgame. Again, you would delete the folder you used for the UE build. I'm afraid I'll need more info on what you're trying to do exactly.

    If you mean that you want to start your build over, you can do "clean" in Visual Studio to remove all the object files and dll's. That'll leave you with just the original source (though I don't think it removes everything it built like shaders). Third party dependencies will still be there. So you'll be back to around 100GB. To go below that, you'll need to delete the UE folder and redo git clone. Not sure why you would want to do this if it built correctly.

    If you're trying to remove a previous version (like you built 5.1 and don't want 5.0 anymore), then you just delete the 5.0 folder. You may need to upgrade your personal projects to use 5.1. I haven't upgraded local projects yet.

    Remember that on Windows, deleted files go in the Trashcan unless it's too big to fit. So to regain the space, don't forget to empty the Trashcan.

    I want to delete a project i created with the mod(Not the entire build) a project like third person shooter when i delete my project that is in "Unreal projects" it still going to keep some space.

    I had 117 free gb after i built ue 4.26-mod. Then i created a project and imported my daz characters and it went down to 108gb. After I deleted my project(Not build) it went to 115 gb so 2 gb of my project are still hiding somewhere in my PC. How do i delete all my project? 

  • catmastercatmaster Posts: 178
    edited October 2022

    The hidden content probably is within the derived data cache or the vault cache if it's not cleaned from the Epic games launcher.

    Need this mod when I replaced the Daz character rig with Epic skeleton and the official bridge JCM morphs post processing becomes invalid.

    Found the code repository on the 5.1-mod branch:
    https://github.com/AlienRenders/UnrealEngine/blob/e3dcc7161981fe50c2914a5825d1de5cbf94931a/Engine/Shaders/Private/GpuSkinCacheComputeShader.usf

    How to download single files from GitHub:
    > Go to the file you want to download.
    > Click it to view the contents within the GitHub UI.
    > In the top right, right click the Raw button.
    > Save as...

    Also does this work for better boob physics that preserve breast volume when the breast bones are simulated?

    FixDerivedDataCache.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 1M
    ChangeVaultCacheLocation.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 789K
    Post edited by catmaster on
  •  

    5.1-mod has been updated again with 5.1 from epic branch.

  • AlienRenders said:

     

    5.1-mod has been updated again with 5.1 from epic branch.

    epic add a Dual Quaternion Skinning Deformer example in 5.1 contentexample,but it does not work for daz character.

    Can you take a look at it?

     

     

  • McKenzieMcKenzie Posts: 0
    edited December 2022

    xermao said:

    AlienRenders said:

     

    5.1-mod has been updated again with 5.1 from epic branch.

    epic add a Dual Quaternion Skinning Deformer example in 5.1 contentexample,but it does not work for daz character.

    Can you take a look at it?

     

    Ok ..so I downloaded it and tried it out and it works on Daz characters you just have to make a deformer graph for it and add the graph in skeletal mesh editor...but there's a problem the dual qaternion deformation breakes the animations and you cannot push the rotation beyond 90 deg (I'm also kind of new to deformer graph so it can be that I messed up somewhere) .. but this brings new hope that we maybe don't need an entire seperate build for DQS to work in unreal...If Alien renders takes a look at this then we are all set and best thing is that alien renders won't have to maintain a forked branch for every release

    (Edited by mod to fix quote)

    Post edited by frank0314 on
Sign In or Register to comment.