No encrypted for me.

nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Guess I will be staying with 4.8.

Comments

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127

I "bought" the 3 free ones but I didn't download them and not sure about when/if I will be upgrading to 4.9. They should put the Iray and other bug fixes in a hotfix for 4.8 for those of us not convinced of the new version. I am mostly afraid it will try to build a new database of my glut of products and my machine will run out of space. I never used the content paradise tab in Poser. 

• nDelphinDelphi Posts: 1,845
    edited January 2016

I haven't been keeping up with the 4.9 talk, it was just too much noice inbetween the official info.

Update: I am reading up on it now.

Post edited by nDelphi on
  • HeraHera Posts: 1,952

Does this mean that DIM will retire?

• jpb06tjpb06t Posts: 272

Thouroughly backuped on 4 hard disks and 4 CD-ROMs everything I ever got from DAZ and I advise everbody to do so.

Now the long winter begins and we will have to wait for DAZ to cave in (not impossible, a poll on CGTalk http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1313570 shows that only 20% of the current users are gouing with Autodesk subscription) or some FOSS alternative to raise.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    Hera said:

Nope. And you can actually run DIM and Connect at the same time, if you really want to blow your mind.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited January 2016
    Hera said:

Eventually.

They said no plans for encrypted only content. And guess what...

They did say that DIM would cease once it showed little use (IIRC); but who knows when it will be discontinued.

nDelphi said:

I haven't been keeping up with the 4.9 talk, it was just too much noice inbetween the official info.

Update: I am reading up on it now.

It was worried/scared poeple venting. :)

Post edited by nicstt on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,163
    edited January 2016

I never trusted DIM (so appropriately named) and I avoid like the plague anything cloudish, so my purchases just took another dive.  And after Studio4.8 completely clobbered my huge categorization of my content which I still have to rebuild, I'm not interested in advancing to Studio4.9.  It was fun riding the wave, but we're in the whitewater now, and the sharks are circling.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

DAZ Connect is about as Cloudish as DIM, if you look at the mere "downlading" stuff. The files are installed on your PC, not in any "cloud".

The encryption is a different matter, though.

• argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757
    edited January 2016

They used the word "cloud" because they are using cached download servers for DAZ Connect. It's not a "cloud" in the e.g. Dropbox sense. Just an improvment in how content is downloaded. They could add the same functionality to DIM and probably would have if they had not gone the DAZ Connect route. IMO, concern over the download method is unwarrented. The real concern is about the encryption and where they are headed with that.

Post edited by argel1200 on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited January 2016

I asked this question in a couple of threads  I would like to know is all the older stuff for daz4.8 and for g2f I had in my wish list, is that going to require me to use daz connect if I buy them now?. or will I be able to still purchase & and install them with zips for daz 4.8?   Because I been trying to get the stuff off my wish list I have no interest in daz connect or 4.9, and if i can't finsh clearing my wish list out with out having to use connect them I'll just delete my wishlist

I have about 50% of my wishlist on discount today so Im going to try to get as much of them as I can if I don't need daz connect.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440

Ivy, no you do not need to use DAZ Connect for any older content you want to purchase.  You only have to use Connect if you purchase Connect ONLY content.  Everything else still works the same way.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited January 2016

that the problem i was wondering,& why I asked my question because all the promos have changed on my items in my wish list that says software compatibility is now daz4.9 or connect  when they use to say daz4.8 compatibility and I just want to make sure because once i clear my wish list out I am done my purchasing here at daz.

Post edited by Ivy on

Daz has stated that items available unencrypted will always be, but...

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100

I would appreciate comments from ImaginaryHouse, OziChick, shaunahowell, or Valander as to whether they had any choice about being the first four vendors with encrypted content.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    wiz said:

I would appreciate comments from ImaginaryHouse, OziChick, shaunahowell, or Valander as to whether they had any choice about being the first four vendors with encrypted content.

Those are DAZ buyouts.

• I stopped using Vue which I loved because of locked/encrypted content

Hate to see this taking place

• DAZ_Steve_2154153DAZ_Steve_2154153 Posts: 565
    edited January 2016

I would like to chime in with a question:

Many people have expressed their hatred of encryption.  In the case of something like an MP3 I understand this.  If I buy a song from apple, I may not always want to play it in iTunes.  So, I want something portable to be used in other apps.

In the case of DUF files, other than perhaps Poser, which all of our polls show a very few people use, the DUF files are likely only going to be used in Daz Studio.  And, if you do need to use the content in a non-DUF format in an applicatiopn other than Studio, you can still export it from studio in a non-excrypted, non-duf format.

Based on that, it seems very different than the concerns that I, and most people had with the DRM that appe rolled out around music.

But, there are two concerns people appear to express:

1- Effect on content usability ond portability (which, again, I'd love opinions on what I wrote above).

2- The perception that Daz does not trust its customers and is treating them like criminals.

So, let me address the second issue.  Nearly every Daz customer is trustworthy.  But for anyone to say that there is not a small segment of people who buy content, then illegally share it is simply not realistic.  When people do this, it takes money from Daz and it's ability to support the store and offerings, and it also takes money away from the artists.  This means that, either there is less money to for Daz to roll out new features and figures, and less money for the artists to live, or that prices go up and the honest people pay more.

I'm not in this thread to "tow the company line", nore to try to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.  I would honestly, objectively like to hear opinions on those two points.

Post edited by DAZ_Steve_2154153 on
  • wiz said:

No.  They did not.  That was my choice. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,303

Just to address Steve's point number 1). I have written programs that read duf files in order to generate smart data (for older stuff with no smart data), and for other small utility purposes. Not critical stuff, but things I enjoying doing. I understand I am in a small minority that does this, but clearly encryption effects that particular use case.

I do understand why you are doing this, and I do not believe it is because DAZ no longer trusts its customers, but as has been said many times before, it is a shame when legitimate customers have to suffer due to the criminals.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    jpb06t said:

Thouroughly backuped on 4 hard disks and 4 CD-ROMs everything I ever got from DAZ and I advise everbody to do so.

Why?

There is nothing in Daz Studio 4.9 that will alter you excisting content automatically.  The encrypted content will be for new content moving forward only and the encryped content you buy will ALWAYS be available through YOUR account for ANY future version of Daz Studio 4.9+ that you have installed.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

I don't feel you are treating the vast majority of us like criminals, I think it is a realistic approach to protecting your vendors.  BTW, I installed 4.9 and all the custom categories I made in Content Library are there and looking beautiful over in the Smart Content pane. Flawless execution! Kudos. I posted screenshots over in my Art Studio thread. 

I think my hesitation is the money invested in products that I, at some point, can't physically put on my computer in case something happens to DAZ. If and when DIM ever goes away, or manual installation, (I put all my products on external hard drives) then yes, I will quit buying. So it's not the encryption, it's the having a copy that I can call up. You've said DIM is going to be here for a long time, so I'm not worried. That's just me.

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    Yeah I honestly don't see what all the crying is about. >_>
  • wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    DAZ_Steve said:
    wiz said:

No.  They did not.  That was my choice. 

Thank you for the quick response.

Sorel said:

Experience of what encrypted content does to legitimate users.

• Havos said:

Just to address Steve's point number 1). I have written programs that read duf files in order to generate smart data (for older stuff with no smart data), and for other small utility purposes. Not critical stuff, but things I enjoying doing. I understand I am in a small minority that does this, but clearly encryption effects that particular use case.

I do understand why you are doing this, and I do not believe it is because DAZ no longer trusts its customers, but as has been said many times before, it is a shame when legitimate customers have to suffer due to the criminals.

Old files are still, and will be available in their old formats and un-encypted. 

nicstt said:
    Sorel said:

And what does that do in studios case? >_>
  • Novica said:

I don't feel you are treating the vast majority of us like criminals, I think it is a realistic approach to protecting your vendors.  BTW, I installed 4.9 and all the custom categories I made in Content Library are there and looking beautiful over in the Smart Content pane. Flawless execution! Kudos. I posted screenshots over in my Art Studio thread. 

I think my hesitation is the money invested in products that I, at some point, can't physically put on my computer in case something happens to DAZ. If and when DIM ever goes away, or manual installation, (I put all my products on external hard drives) then yes, I will quit buying. So it's not the encryption, it's the having a copy that I can call up. You've said DIM is going to be here for a long time, so I'm not worried. That's just me.

Files will still work offline.  So, even if something were to happen to Daz, you would continue to use your encrypted files.  But, that is because your computer authenticated (before Daz went away in our theoretical example) and got the appropariate info for your login to allow you to decrypt your content.  This means your stuff keeps working, but that other people (who don't use your login) can't use it on their computers.

• DAZ_Steve_2154153DAZ_Steve_2154153 Posts: 565
    edited January 2016
    nicstt said:
    Sorel said:

Pleae calrify.  What does this prevent you from doing that you could do before.  I'm not saying that you're wrong... I'm simply trying to understand.

Post edited by DAZ_Steve_2154153 on
    DAZ_Steve said:
    nicstt said:
    Sorel said:

Pleae calrify.  What does this prevent you from doing that you could do before.  I'm not saying that you're wrong... I'm simply trying to understand.

That's what I'm trying to understand as well. I'm pretty sure when I get home and update to 4.9 nothing will change, and I will continue to use studio as I always have.
  • argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757
    DAZ_Steve said:
    Novica said:

Files will still work offline.  So, even if something were to happen to Daz, you would continue to use your encrypted files.  But, that is because your computer authenticated (before Daz went away in our theoretical example) and got the appropariate info for your login to allow you to decrypt your content.  This means your stuff keeps working, but that other people (who don't use your login) can't use it on their computers.

It breaks any scripts that need to access files that will now be encrypted directly. Like the older send int he clones, soem of the pose converters, etc.

If I download an old product via DAZ Connect will it be encrypted? What about a new product that lists DC, DIM, and manual DL as options? Will the DC download be encrypted? If not everything downloaded via DC will be encrypted then I would like to see that made expclitily clear in the store. I would also like an option to tell DC to only download unencrypted content (assuming e.g. old content will not be encrypted).

This discussion has been closed.