No encrypted for me.

Comments

• argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757

argel1200 said:

I would also like an option to tell DC to only download unencrypted content (assuming e.g. old content will not be encrypted).

Daz Connect only installs the products you tell it to, it doesn't connect or install automatically.

And I can see if it will be encrypted from within the app, when choosing to download?

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

"Up until a few days ago there was no plan for encrypted only content.  Just prior to the launch was thought, "Hey, let's put out a few free items that require 4.9......" Daz_Steve.'

Oh dear. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence in those at the helm when decisions like this are made on a whim, on the spur on the moment and reversing previously stated assurances. Yet it does give hope that if enough people express their opposition to DRM, those at Daz who make these ad hoc decisions on the run, might very well reverse their DRM one. Russian roulette anyone?

DAZ will make its decisions largely based on sales, not disgruntled voices within the forums

• DAZ_Steve said:

nicstt said:

We don't know what wilOnly weeks ago, there were no plans to introduce encrypted only content; the day that Daz release 4.9, they release encrypted only content.l happen, that is the problem... and those of you offering assurances also don't know what others have planned.

I gotta say, this is one of the times where I will don the tin foil hat with you. There were no plans. They kept saying that. And then, on day one, there is Connect Only content. That really, really bothered me.

Up until a few days ago there was no plan for encrypted only content.  Just prior to the launch was thought, "Hey, let's put out a few free items that require 4.9 so we can get people to try it and see that 4.9 is pretty cool."  This was based on the number of people in the forums who had expressed concerns about 4.9.

Based on the number of downloads of 4.9 today, and the number of people connecting with Daz Connect, it appears that the enticement was un-needed.  We do however, have a few more encrypted only free items planned over the weekend.

This was not intended to mislead or bait and switch anyone.

Also, as I am personally the individual who determines what products to launch when, what to price them, and what formats they will be in, I can tell you this:

I have no intention of releasing major figure launches encrypted only in the near future.

I will launch some products encrypted only in the coming weeks and see how they do.

I will also use free items to entice people to adopt encryption.

Up until a few days ago there was no plan for encrypted only content -> implicit we changed our mind after we made you all believe it wouldn't happen

I have no intention of releasing major figure launches encrypted only in the near future -> implicit unless I change my mind, see above

'no plan for', 'no intention of', it's all splitting words to avoid having the situation come back and bite you in the butt when you change your mind. And you still don't understand why people distrust you? I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I'm actually being serious..

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,579

Of course there is going to be a time when new releases are encrypted only, or what exactly is the point of this whole thing?

DAZ just shooting itself in the foot because it has nothing better to do?

Not many will choose encryption over other methods, especially pirates!

I think if that is the way they are going, then go ahead and do it.

By dragging this out and playing vague, not only is DAZ losing customers (inevitable really) ... but it is losing the trust of the people that are remaining.

That's a whole lot of loss for a possible dent in piracy.

• Up until a few days ago there was no plan for encrypted only content -> implicit we changed our mind after we made you all believe it wouldn't happen

I have no intention of releasing major figure launches encrypted only in the near future -> implicit unless I change my mind, see above

'no plan for', 'no intention of', it's all splitting words to avoid having the situation come back and bite you in the butt when you change your mind. And you still don't understand why people distrust you? I'm not trying to pick a fight here, I'm actually being serious..

Okay, fair enough, and I respect your candor and intentions.  So let me be as clear as I can, as we are really not trying to mislead anyone:

-Encryption protects Daz and the Artists who make content. 

-We will be mindful of customer perspective as measured based on actions, not so much on forum outcry. 

-The speed at which (new) content becomes encrypted will constantly be re evaluated, monitored, and adjusted.  There are no absolute promises. 

- We have no intention of anyone EVER having a problem using content that they paid for, and will continue to make every effort to make whatever steps are needed to ensure that does not happen.

• Installing the 4.9 general release will uninstall 4.8

Not if you specify a different path.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited January 2016
    DAZ_Steve said:

- We have no intention of anyone EVER having a problem using content that they paid for, and will continue to make every effort to make whatever steps are needed to ensure that does not happen.

But that only means as long as we Upgrade to Daz 4.9. right ?  

I'm glad you will go by what your sales will dictate you can get away with..  because I believe your sales will tell the tale also. and what a tale of whoa I predict it will be. 

I have a question .. its been 6 months since i put a support tic ket in on a model i bought.  what is the average length of time someone has to wait until  we get a response. I inquired with Christina Galloway 4 times now and she keeps sending in information request to the QA dept. but nothing has returned. I opened the support ticket in June last year and I really like the model just not the bug it has.   Any Help Here??

Post edited by Ivy on
  • Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited January 2016

As I read through the comments, the one thing I see is that some are not reading the FAQ.  In many instances, where someone is reading it, they are sometimes taking things out of context or not understanding what is being said and this, certainly, is the place to be asking if the phrasing leaves you confused.  Others are not reading all of the thread and are reacting to things said as they come across things in the thread.  

Please take the time to 1) read through all of the thread to see if what you are reacting to has been answered by one of the Daz Staff, and 2) please remember that unless it comes from a Daz Staff member, users are expressing opinions for the better part.  Your opinions and concerns aren't being discounted, but please allow the Daz Staff to try and address these opinions/concerns.  As you can see throughout the thread, they are actively seeking to help you understand.  

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
    edited January 2016

As I read through the comments, the one thing I see is that some are not reading the FAQ.  In many instances, where someone is reading it, they are sometimes taking things out of context or not understanding what is being said and this, certainly, is the place to be asking if the phrasing leaves you confused.  Others are not reading all of the thread and are reacting to things said as they come across things in the thread.  

Please take the time to 1) read through all of the thread to see if what you are reacting to has been answered by one of the Daz Staff, and 2) please remember that unless it comes from a Daz Staff member, users are expressing opinions for the better part.  Your opinions and concerns aren't being discounted, but please allow the Daz Staff to try and address these opinions/concerns.  As you can see throughout the thread, they are actively seeking to help you understand.  

Hi chris. I know this is off topic but is there anyway to get a little info on a bug ticket i put in 6 months ago. and why do you think it takes so long for them to make a decision on it..

Post edited by Ivy on
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    DAZ_Steve said:

-Encryption protects Daz and the Artists who make content

So if (when) your encryption is cracked, does this mean that you will remove it? Because once it's cracked it's not going to be protecting anyone. The only thing it will be doing is inconviencing paying customers.

edited January 2016
    argel1200 said:

argel1200 said:

I would also like an option to tell DC to only download unencrypted content (assuming e.g. old content will not be encrypted).

Daz Connect only installs the products you tell it to, it doesn't connect or install automatically.

And I can see if it will be encrypted from within the app, when choosing to download?

No. Not currently. Though it is possible to use the scripting API, user keywords and/or groups to make such a thing possible.

However, files that are encrypted carry the .enc file extension. Exploring a product, selecting an asset, and viewing the Info page (in Smart Content or Content Library) will display information about the product/file including the extension so you will be able to see that it is encrypted that way.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited January 2016
    ssgbryan said:

It's always six months - my last one took 6 months - 5 1/2 months of "meetings" and then I was told that the vendor didn't want to update the product - The product was a DAZ original.

That news is very disappointing to hear.  I really like the helicopter. I have it planned for a animation I am working on . But i have to have the doors working  So if Daz is not going to update or fix the bug,  then i think I rather get my money back so I can find something like it that does work for what I need.. I seen a  Digmation Helicopter similar for  $10 or $12 bucks at turbo squid. though it properly will have the same issues with the doors not working b ecause i need them too.. what you told me is really disappointing. I guess I better start looking for an alternative for my story 

Post edited by Ivy on
    Ivy said:

Hi chris. I know this is off topic but is there anyway to get a little info on a bug ticket i put in 6 months ago. and why do you think it takes so long for them to make a decision on it..

Ivy, would you email me the details so we keep the thread on-topic?  I'll try to check into the ticket number.  [email protected]

Ivy, would you email me the details so we keep the thread on-topic?  I'll try to check into the ticket number.  [email protected]

Thank you Chris I will do it now

• As I read through the comments, the one thing I see is that some are not reading the FAQ.  In many instances, where someone is reading it, they are sometimes taking things out of context or not understanding what is being said and this, certainly, is the place to be asking if the phrasing leaves you confused.  Others are not reading all of the thread and are reacting to things said as they come across things in the thread.  

Thank you for the link. It would be helpful if it was linked somewhere on the DS 4.9 page, as I did not even know it existed.

• Havos said:

DAZ will make its decisions largely based on sales, not disgruntled voices within the forums

Precisely.

Just a guess, but I'd bet most of the naysayers (of which I am one) are older persons (of which I am increasingly one). Younger people just don't seem to care about absolute ownership (and privacy, security, etc). If DAZ's customer base is mostly young, then this thing will sail through.

• argel1200argel1200 Posts: 757

One thing I still do not understand is what happens to Smart Content for content that I have not had DS4.9 copy over into the new file strucuture? Will the new Smart Content still be able to deal with it? For example, find materials for an outfit selected i the scene?

• UHF said:

According to the FAQ I'm screwed.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/941600/#Comment_941600

"You cannot move files around for products installed through Daz Connect. You can change the drive and/or path to which products are installed using Daz Connect, but you cannot manually re-organize the files within the product."

So... if a vendor decides I need to look on the fricken moon for files.. that's where I have to do it forever.  That truly sucks and is a real step backwards.

Can you imagine what 1000 product library would look like?  Each vender sticks there garbage in whatever directory they thought up today?  To my eyes.. this is truly nuts.  Think about smart props.. some have poses with the props, some have them with the character some do both.  (I merge the poses to the same directories as the props so I can find them without scrolling though everything on the planet trying to find them.)

I've been using this stuff since the original Poser Pro (i.e. advanced version of poser 4) and I have a ridiculous amount of content, most of which has been carefully organized over the years. If I can't rearrange within the runtime (or whatever DAZ calls it) then it won't get used by me. I hate that I already have two places to look for items: my DAZ library stuff and the Poser runtime stuff, and having a 3rd is probably going to end up becoming not worth it...especially since there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of constency between where PA's install things (how many ways are there to spell key directories?). I was under the impression that you had resolved this and that there would be a front end item that could be moved around as much as you pleased. If that's not the case, then I'll probably ignore this content as being inconsistent with my workflow. 

• DAZ_JonDAZ_Jon Posts: 582
    argel1200 said:

One thing I still do not understand is what happens to Smart Content for content that I have not had DS4.9 copy over into the new file strucuture? Will the new Smart Content still be able to deal with it? For example, find materials for an outfit selected i the scene?

Yup, it will still be able to work with files in the old file structure.

• Fragg1960Fragg1960 Posts: 354

I support protecting artists rights (always have and always will), however, whenever encryption is leveraged whether it be here or any other industry, all it does is eventually make things awkward for legal users and does nothing to slow down pirates (I'm sure they will get around the DAZ encryption methods in no time).  I will not be buying anything encrypted and just buy my 3D content somewhere else.  No need for long discussions on this--I choose with my wallet.

• N-RArtsN-RArts Posts: 1,436
    edited January 2016

(I wish this forum had a "like" button)

How would Daz feel about a petition against Encryption and Daz Connect? I've seen lots of disgruntled people on several 3D sites. Daz went ahead with introducing Encryption only items, when it was said that there was no intention to do so (at least for the forseeable future). You can see why people are peeved at this.

Whatever way you look at it, if you want to carry on purchasing items from Daz3D, we will all have to upgrade to 4.9, it's just, at the moment, it's not mandatory (unless you liked an bought any of the items which were released today, then you'd have to anyway). No matter what, they will do away with Manual install/ZIP files/DIM in the future (it's obvious, even people on other sites are saying so too).

I'm up for supporting artists and I know people keep mentioning the Pirates, but what would 4.9 do to illegal content that was added to it? Disable it? Alert someone? Can someone see into our libraries? Will 4.9 Connect collect our logs? How far does Daz Connect go? 

Plus, technically those items aren't free. No matter what way you look at it, you have to spend money to get them (either on older content or buying the items themselves). 

Slightly off topic: I opened a ticket back in 2014, Daz responded, but the item was never updated. I know they said it would take a while... They weren't wrong. lol

Post edited by N-RArts on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401

Greetings,

I'm up for supporting artists and I know people keep mentioning the Pirates, but what would 4.9 do to illegal content that was added to it? Disable it? Alert someone? Can someone see into our libraries? Will 4.9 Connect collect our logs? How far does Daz Connect go? 

The whole point of the exercise is that there is no way for DAZ to tell the difference between legit purchased content and pirated content, and there never really will be.

That is to say, if folks put illegal content in their library intentionally, the only thing that'll happen is they'll make themselves a little sadder because at the core, they know better.  DAZ Studio can't tell the difference, and no software really can.  The best DAZ can do is make it a bit harder (i.e. economically disadvantaged) to copy and re-publish unpurchased content.  Sure it will likely get worked around eventually, but making it a bit harder than 'absurdly trivial' is the point, and it's not a bad one.

--  Morgan

edited January 2016

(I wish this forum had a "like" button)

How would Daz feel about a petition against Encryption and Daz Connect? I've seen lots of disgruntled people on several 3D sites. Daz went ahead with introducing Encryption only items, when it was said that there was no intention to do so (at least for the forseeable future). You can see why people are peeved at this.

Whatever way you look at it, if you want to carry on purchasing items from Daz3D, we will all have to upgrade to 4.9, it's just, at the moment, it's not mandatory (unless you liked an bought any of the items which were released today, then you'd have to anyway). No matter what, they will do away with Manual install/ZIP files/DIM in the future (it's obvious, even people on other sites are saying so too).

Plus, technically those items aren't free. No matter what way you look at it, you have to spend money to get them (either on older content or buying the items themselves). 

Slightly off topic: I opened a ticket back in 2014, Daz responded, but the item was never updated. I know they said it would take a while... They weren't wrong. lol

One thing I would like to correct, although most won't read or pay much attention. In the Encryption discussion thread the following was stated about releasing of encrypted only content in this thread here:

• There are no current products planned for release as Daz Connect only, meaning only available encrypted. We don’t have a firm date on when 4.9 is going to ship because we’re still in Beta. It will definitely happen though, and the rate it happens is going to be dependent on a number of factors we’ll keep an eye on to make the transition as smooth as possible.

That was posted the 5th of November, more than two and a half months ago. At the time, that was completely true, we simply can't plan what the release of Studio and encrypted only content would be that far in advance while going through a beta cycle on some pretty big changes to the software. We don't keep two and a half months of products sitting around just waiting to release (at least I hope that our team doesn't cause that would be some seriously pissed off PAs). And we are sticking to the second half of that point which stated in no uncertain terms that releasing encrypted only content will happen, and the rate we do it is going to be based on numerous things when we get to that point (which is where we are now).

All of the comments about how there was no intention of it or "foreseeable future" and other things was user comments which took the official encryption discussion on it and turned it into a game of telephone and mixing up different statements (for instance, we have said that DIM will not go away in the foreseeable future, but may some day in some far off future date if its usage drops so low it isn't really used anymore).

Post edited by DAZ_Jon on
  • Ivy said:

Hi Ivy, please check your email.  I have just sent you a follow up to your bug ticket.

• Gr00vusGr00vus Posts: 366
    edited January 2016

Here's a question I have:

Will 3rd party non-DAZ store non-DRMed content continue to work in Studio? Will there come a point where only DAZ DRMed content will be allowed in Studio?

Post edited by Gr00vus on
    Gr00vus said:

Here's a question I have:

Will 3rd party non-DAZ store non-DRMed content continue to work in Studio? Will there come a point where only DAZ DRMed content will be allowed in Studio?

That would be technically impossible for us to implement if we ever would want to do that, which we don't want to. PAs have to create products which are seen as "3rd party non-DAZ store non-DRMed" content until it is accepted, QA'd, fixed, QA'd again, and released. If we did that, it would kill that which means no new products for Daz which means other bad things.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I did read the faq.  Twice. Once a couple of months ago and once today.  And I do understand the forums aren't necessarily all true.  But I also know that many times if bugs are found and things don't work quite right that this is where to find this out.So while I always gather as much info as I can first I still sometimes want extra clarification.  And it was said there was no plan to make encrypted only content in the first version and that has changed  sooo.... forgive me if I want extra clarification on the points that are important to me.

• UHFUHF Posts: 512

Ice Dragon Art said:

According to the FAQ I'm screwed.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/941600/#Comment_941600

"You cannot move files around for products installed through Daz Connect. You can change the drive and/or path to which products are installed using Daz Connect, but you cannot manually re-organize the files within the product."

So... if a vendor decides I need to look on the fricken moon for files.. that's where I have to do it forever.  That truly sucks and is a real step backwards.

Can you imagine what 1000 product library would look like?  Each vender sticks there garbage in whatever directory they thought up today?  To my eyes.. this is truly nuts.  Think about smart props.. some have poses with the props, some have them with the character some do both.  (I merge the poses to the same directories as the props so I can find them without scrolling though everything on the planet trying to find them.)

WHAT!!!!  I was almost sold when I found out that the content library I created for myself would still be there but you are saying that I can't add the new content to my own version of the content library in the future?!  That's a deal breaker for me.  I spent hours upon hours on that content library so that it would suit the way I think and work.  I don't use smart content, ever.  If I can't add them to my own beautifully organized content library I will be unable to work with this.

Its solveable I think, but I don't think they care.  To my eyes theres a few ways to get the protection they want without excluding the normal use of Daz Studio or Daz's content.

One method would be to encode encryption codes in the content that excluded directory locations.  Everything would work the same as before.

The other solution would be to stick stuff wherever, but create a series of files in the usual locations as normal.  I could rearrange those files to my heart's content, but I'd have issues with updates.  (If you think about it, this is what we are doing now.. I never touch texture directories or geometries.)

I also have no idea if I can access things like the original texture files, but I regularly solve problems that way.  For instance, materials optimized for Daz or poser rarely work well with Reality or Octane.  No amount of adjusting will clear it up, but tweaking say specularity contrast does wonders. Like so;

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Bethany-s-Eyes-584678187

I really have zero trust in database management. In this case its being added on top of another database called a 'File System'.

DAZ_Angie said:
    Ivy said:

Hi Ivy, please check your email.  I have just sent you a follow up to your bug ticket.

thank you I sent you a reply back.

This discussion has been closed.