NEW! Novica & Invited Guest Contributors Tips & Product Reviews Pt 6

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    RGcincy said:
    Novica said:

The Snuggle Up knits are a lot of fun!

They look good! I added to my wishlist as my wallet is moth-eaten right now. The leather doesn't quite look like leather to me though.

It has a variety of leathers from which to choose, so you can pick rough leather, smoother leather, etc. I think with different lighting it would show up differently too.

edited January 2016

Going through all my oldies, determined to work around the "can't use in Iray" shaders but also pointing out hidden gem oldies for you 3DL folks. So if you own SkySystem (one word), both Iray and 3DL users need to take note of this one (and the SkySystem Backgrounds.) The images will show up  when you add them to the prop backdrop (as "materials")  but do not render in Iray when loaded that way. Of course they work in 3DL as that's what they are designed to do. So if you don't have this product, keep it in mind when the entire store goes on sale again. 

But here's the curious thing- For Iray: I tested creating a primitive plane (go with 10 feet or less if you are doing a figure and a small prop) and then selected as a surface, went to Surface and added one of the images in the Diffuse. It was b_dawn.png.  I then went to the shader presets over in Content Library, then to Iray, and UberBased it so it would be Iray compatible. Tried it also without that, and there was no difference. However, in BOTH cases, I got trees that are not apparent in b_dawn.png when looking at the image.

See screenshots. This is WEIRD. I did resize the plane slightly, but there are no vertical lines in the image, so stretching 8% or so would not cause those branches. To be sure,  I put it at 100% and I still got trees! I blew up the png image in a graphics program (changed from 96 dpi to 300dpi) and no trees.

If anyone else has this product and wants to recreate this, the plane was 10 feet, I used b_dawn.png in the Diffuse to add it to the plane. I'm still trying to find the explanation for this, other than the Twilight Zone. I've done this with UberBase, without it, full size, different sized, same result over and over again. Trees in Iray when added to a plane. (Kinda neat, eh?)   

So now I am going back to 3DL and see if trees show up when added to the regular prop. I'll let you know. EDIT: Well, it's a duf when you add the material to the prop and do it 3DL, and a png when you add the image to Surfaces on a plane and the duf does not have trees (the 3DL render on the prop. Third image below.)

Be SURE to move the plane back so you don't get shadows on it if you want to keep the illusion of a sky in the background. 

Well, there absolutely, positively ARE trees.

And 3DL on the prop, loads as a duf and no trees.

skySystemB_dawnMysteryTreesSCREENSHOT.jpg
    700 x 681 - 225K
    skySystemB_dawnMysteryTrees.jpg
    338 x 600 - 125K
    skySystemB_dawnMysteryTrees3DL.jpg
    224 x 323 - 39K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,039

I've used Skysystem in a coulpe of Iray renders. I used it for the smoke from the chimney in this one.

Click on image for full size

Would you do me a favor and test the b_dawn png on a plane using Iray lighting and see if you get trees? (If you have time. The plane was 10 feet by 1. I used spotlights and Apocalyptic lighting, but spotlights should do it.) This is SO weird. Your render is really good- thanks for sharing!  

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Could the trees be from enviroment lighting?

edited January 2016
    Novica said:

Would you do me a favor and test the b_dawn png on a plane using Iray lighting and see if you get trees? (If you have time. The plane was 10 feet by 1. I used spotlights and Apocalyptic lighting, but spotlights should do it.) This is SO weird. Your render is really good- thanks for sharing!  

No trees showing up here.

There isn't a gel on one of the lights casting a shadow on the background is there, or perhaps there is some transparency in the plane?

95% Opacity on the plane allows the background to seep through.

Post edited by Fishtales on

Thanks for testing it, appreciate it very much.

I went to Create>Plane and made it 10 feet x 1. Selected the plane in Scene, and selected it using the Surface tool. In Surface pane, added the b_dawn.png to only the diffuse. So the plane is without anything added. 

There were six spotlights on the figure, hadn't changed any of that. But I think you nailed it Khory- I'm using Dumor's Apopcalyptic Indoor Plants HDRI with Dome and Scene, Finite Sphere, Draw Dome Off, and don't ask me why I have Dome and Scene and Draw Dome off, I'm getting myself confused often. But it sure made an interesting effect with a tree coming through- and nothing else in the HDRI scene! I'll do a screenshot for you. Back in a few.

edited January 2016

So I suspect this is the cute lil culprit. So now I need to ask, what happens if you have Dome and Scene, and Draw Dome "off?" Is it the same as choosing Scene only from the very beginning? I'm wondering why I went that route. 

I have to say, I'm liking the trees though. A happy accident!

skySystemB_dawnMysteryTreesSOLVED.jpg
    714 x 900 - 386K
    Post edited by Novica on

Just had a thought. It is a .png so has a transparency chanel built in so the image will add transparency to the plane.

edited January 2016

The sale yesterday was broken off and on, so check and see if you purchased in one of those periods when it wasn't giving the right discount to PC members. I bought 3 things and it overcharged me close to $9. This thread discusses it. It was things like the Men's Shirt (Gen 3) the Medieval Prison, and Office Wear (Gen 3) etc. Your prices should have been 6.99 / 5.93 / 6.29 respectively (buying 3 things.) 

I'm having fun with the V4 Skins Batch Converter To Genesis 2 Females. And kudos and much thanks to a very patient Draagonstorm for answering questions I had, usually within five to ten minutes. Here's the thread!

So why go with V4 on Genesis 2? Well, for me, I like the variety in eyebrows and mouths. Many of the eyebrows are thicker, the mouths have good variety. You can also pick up V4 and M4 (there's a product for him, too) VERY cheaply during sales, and have a great variety for your Genesis 2 figures. I haven't tried Growing Up on these, but with the eyebrows, (those that are not penciled, ultra thin, or penciled and ultra thin) I think they'd be great for kids!

Here are a few of my test shots (keep in mind these are for me, not fantastic lighting, only playing around.  

The first one is FW Peggy's (V4) materials on Alessa. (Gen2)

Then LY Emily (V4) on Sigrid, Hedvig, and Adrianna. It's fun to put them in a graphics program and click each image, and watch the changes in the viewing pane.  

Last is Fiona on Jersey. (shown here)

And Peggy's materials on Alessa.

FWPeggyV4ToG2AlessaBatchMallOutfitIRAY.jpg
    509 x 600 - 89K
    LYEmilyV4ToG2SigridBatchMallOutfitIRAY.jpg
    764 x 900 - 213K
    LYEmilyV4ToG2HedvigBatchMallOutfitIRAY.jpg
    764 x 900 - 212K
    LYEmilyV4ToG2AdriannaBatchMallOutfitIRAY.jpg
    764 x 900 - 213K
    FionaV4ToG2BatchMallOutfitIRAY.jpg
    764 x 900 - 373K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited January 2016

Invited Guest Contributor

- Playtime https://www.daz3d.com/playtime

- Little Ones (Caucasian Male) for Genesis 3 Male https://www.daz3d.com/little-ones-caucasian-male-for-genesis-3-male

- Cyclorama: Portrait Paper Backdrops https://www.daz3d.com/cyclorama-portrait-paper-backdrops

victori.jpg
    773 x 1000 - 534K
    Post edited by Sasje on

That must've been one fast horsie to win the race wink  Quite adorable!  I had forgotten about the Cyclorama background, very useful. (Also, if folks have the Rocks N Drops sets, those have curved plane backgrounds with multiple colors. Another one with a background is the Boudoir product.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050

Sasje, that is adorable! I always enjoy your work.

edited January 2016

For the V4 Skins Batch Converter, for those of you starting out- these are the ones I did, and their file paths. (I don't change mine, these are the default.) These are straight conversions. FYI, should you run into a mc6 file, load it onto V4 and save as  a material preset, then convert those files. If files are dsb, go to Windows>Panes> Batch Convert, select the dsb file, then choose the convert dsb to dsa.

These characters (so far) are easy conversions. You do NOT have to delete anything in files which aren't textures (such as morphs) because the program will simply ignore them. However, in the script pane, you have the option to select files from the list and delete (there's an easy button.) I assumed it might speed things up, so I did that anyway.

To make it easy for you to get started, take a look at these gals if you have them, as they are easy to find and are pz files (do nothing with them, the script does these with ease.)  

These are all (whatever directory you have) DAZ>Content>Runtime>Libraries>Pose>

>A_Evelyn

>Branwen

>DMR Briana

FR Miranda, FR Rosalyn, FR Zaraii (below, without Iray Uber, to show eyebrows. With UberBase applied, (I tested a few minutes ago) there wasn't much difference.) are all there too.  The FW Art folder has easy conversions ( I had installed FW Peggy, FW Julianna.) 

These are the above (DAZ>Content>Runtime>Libraries>Pose> then DAZ Victoria 4>Characters>

Silver Countess>Fiona

OziChick>Jemima

Lyoness> LY Emily

Analeigh

So have fun and play! wink

ZaraiiV4BatchGenesis2Base.jpg
    500 x 650 - 145K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited January 2016

My last purchase of 2015 was The Old Barn. What attracted me to it was the fact you can adjust it's age from freshly painted to decrepit by the use of sliders. You can remove different sections of shingles and siding, adjust the sag of roofs, and make lots of the wooden slats and beams warped to indicate age.

The first render was done using the Iray materials that came with the barn. I added the Iray Worlds SkyDome and the DAZ Horse 2 to set the scene. I used the old barn preset, which put it into a mid-range of age. It was very slow to render. I rendered it 4 times as long as my normal Iray render and I still think it may have needed more time. I'm guessing all the missing sections of shingles and siding, the grass and trees all add to the render time. I do like the outcome as it has a soft, pastel like quality to it. 

I also did a 3DL render. I didn't replace any of the materials, just used the Iray materials that came with the barn. For the environment, I used The All New Worldbase XT Lushlands. The lights are from 1stBastion's Wilderness: Two Creeks This too was a slower render than normal but much faster than the Iray version. 

Old Barn_s.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 2M
    Old Barn 3DL.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 1M
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    Fishtales said:

I've used Skysystem in a coulpe of Iray renders. I used it for the smoke from the chimney in this one.

Great render Fishtales!

Sasje said:

- Cyclorama: Portrait Paper Backdrops https://www.daz3d.com/cyclorama-portrait-paper-backdrops

Very cute image! I have these backdrops - one of many things I foget I have. I could have used these recently on a render.

Novica said:

I'm having fun with the V4 Skins Batch Converter To Genesis 2 Females

So why go with V4 on Genesis 2? Well, for me, I like the variety in eyebrows and mouths. Many of the eyebrows are thicker, the mouths have good variety. You can also pick up V4 and M4 (there's a product for him, too) VERY cheaply during sales, and have a great variety for your Genesis 2 figures. I haven't tried Growing Up on these, but with the eyebrows, (those that are not penciled, ultra thin, or penciled and ultra thin) I think they'd be great for kids!

This is very timely for me as I need to build a better collection of skin textures. Only problem is there's so many to choose from, I wish there was a top 10 or 20 starter list that gives a good variety and diversity without buying a lot randomly. I've been going through past reviews to try to see what would be good to buy.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    RGcincy said:

My last purchase of 2015 was The Old Barn. What attracted me to it was the fact you can adjust it's age from freshly painted to decrepit by the use of sliders. You can remove different sections of shingles and siding, adjust the sag of roofs, and make lots of the wooden slats and beams warped to indicate age.

The first render was done using the Iray materials that came with the barn. I added the Iray Worlds SkyDome and the DAZ Horse 2 to set the scene. I used the old barn preset, which put it into a mid-range of age. It was very slow to render. I rendered it 4 times as long as my normal Iray render and I still think it may have needed more time. I'm guessing all the missing sections of shingles and siding, the grass and trees all add to the render time. I do like the outcome as it has a soft, pastel like quality to it. 

I also did a 3DL render. I didn't replace any of the materials, just used the Iray materials that came with the barn. For the environment, I used The All New Worldbase XT Lushlands. The lights are from 1stBastion's Wilderness: Two Creeks This too was a slower render than normal but much faster than the Iray version. 

Those are both very attractive.
    edited January 2016

I actually like the 3dl one better, except for the grass. It seems fluffy or fuzzy. Beautifully done!!!  So far as V4, since I'm an eyebrow picky person, that's what I look at when I go through them. There were also some really good ones that aren't available anymore, one that comes to mind is VH Lucia. I had GEN X'd her onto Genesis last year. (second image)  I'll skim through and tell you the ones I like. Other folks, feel free to suggest V4's you like!

I haven't checked to see if Godin has Lucia on Renderosity or other sites, she's worth a look.

lucia.jpg
    725 x 918 - 72K
    luciaGenXLarge.png
    400 x 400 - 278K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2016

Still in progress (I'll add links as you folks add. I was working my way backward, but only using my Product Library on ones that I own.)  Going to include some that may not be to my tastes, but am doing a variety for you and to help you surf faster.

SURPRISE!  FOUR EYEBROW COLORS!!!!  FARISSA

Older Person!  Francesca

These were in Product Library under Victoria 4, now I'll look for V4

Dolores

Evelyn  for a more sophisticated brow

Gwen for red/ red brown brows

Hudson  brows are a bit straighter, and seems to have a slight variation in skin. Nice eyes!

Janessa has nice skin tones.

Mara is similar to Lucia with the eyebrows.

Megan

Peggy

Neve has a smattering of complexion differences which make her interesting. Not all freckles.

Rapture for dark, defined brows but still shows individual hairs at the beginning of the brow.

Anarani for more wispy brows, light colored, fantasy.

Aphrodite has a complexion which seems like flawless makeup, if you need a model-type. Or a beach babe type.

Audrey is questionable, I would be interested to see her rendered. Her eyebrows are irregular, complexion may also be unique. 

Camryn has the circular eyebrows and a variety type complexion (from what I can tell.) 

Dulce I really like!

Dawn- smattering of freckles and uniquely colored eyebrows. Subtle elegance.

Cherry- lighter brows, a few moles/irregularities by brow for realism. Would tone down the pink though.

Chablis- love those pores- seems like great detail for a V4!

Emma is your freckles gal. Auburn hair and chestnut hair for this one.

Erika is another freckled gal, with round arch eyebrows.

These 3 are in a bundle, too. 

Kerry-Ann for darker skin     Nicole    Asian, light eyebrows, freckles, well done.      Regina 

Fabia- somewhat like Lucia, but brows a bit more defined.

Frangipani- rare hair above the eyebrows, very realistic

Ghislaine had definite moles and irregular skin for realism, eyebrows nice too. Each hair shows.

Hadley  nice arched brows, good hair at beginning of brow. Nose has freckles

Isabel  has good pore detail 

Jess  has REALLY intense bushy eyebrows. Lighting doesn't let me know much about the materials on the face.

Kaylee  appears paler, eyebrows a bit thinner

Lila has good pore detail, brows are good with individual hairs

Livia  is unusual, look at the hair under the eyebrow.

Aleyah has a darker, creamy complexion (according to promo shot, may be different.)

Bianca (if I am correct) appears to have eyebrows which are slightly different at the beginning of the brow. Excellent! Look at the closeup thumbnail. A hidden gem.

Orianne- REALLY like, very natural, skin is varied

Delphinia- eyebrows are crisp but hairs visible, materials seem like a fair complexion. 

Sofia- Eyebrows very straight- unusual. If you want a strong female character, who is noticed, it's Sofia.

So that's quite a few to skim through!

and you have all the V4 Elite's you can check out.

Post edited by Novica on
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited January 2016

I'll chime in and say, Peggy further up is not all that bad looking.  Very nice set of rare 'Full' eyebrows.

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on

I'll chime in and say, Peggy further up is not all that bad looking.  Very nice set of rare 'Full' eyebrows.

I like her! (And have her.) I'm working my way back up the list, I was doing something in the latter part of the alphabet so started where I was. Keep suggesting, I like!

edited January 2016

With the addition of Iray, I thought I would try some of the default/included shaders (the ones found with the UberBase.) Here's the rocket from Toon Rocket And Moonscape with the default Iray light and settings (no tweaking) and I did it on my new Alienware 51 Dell computer. Wow, zippy. One minute 20 seconds with the samples and iterations set very high. 

So if you have some toons, play with them a bit and I think you'll really like what you can do with them. 

toon rocket.jpg
    659 x 444 - 74K
    spaceshipIray.jpg
    900 x 432 - 103K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

That is super cute novica. Does it need to be said that I like it? Very nice.

I haven't got much loaded back into the studio (started with the toons) so I don't have many shaders (only the default.) I added the thin water to the moonscape and it makes awesome glimmers, but the craters were transparent and that doesn't look good (they have their own surfaces so the opacity could be tweaked.) I was only playing around for a few minutes so I didn't develop a scene, but that toon moonscape could be used for other sci-fi renders with the use of shaders.

Customizing the studio (from scratch, since I transferred over to the new computer) and I'll be able to mix outfits more easily. I'm starting with Genesis 2, on characters and clothes, as that's my favorite generation.  I can GenX2 my Genesis onto that figure too. Genesis 2 has a nice ethnic variety. 

Question- has anyone used Simon's Wet Body Iray?  Price is $11.98 for the bundle if you get one of the new items. I like some of the effects (seem subtle.) 

Novica said:

Customizing the studio (from scratch, since I transferred over to the new computer) and I'll be able to mix outfits more easily. 

I'm looking forward to hearing how much faster you can render once you have everything set up to go!

I finally broke down and started creating a catalog system for myself - finally got tired of finding out how much content I have that I forgot I have. I'm doing it in Excel as I can import a file from DIM, create hyperlinks to search the store, and use multiple filters to categorize content to my liking. 

edited January 2016

So Rich, you're not doing it in Categories? I'm putting one image with each product (so no extra clicks required) and I can zip through pretty fast.

I haven't started on hair yet, it's going to take me about a week or more to do clothing as I am breaking down a lot of the outfits (Accessories- earrings, bracelets, gloves, purses, sunglasses, shoes, boots, stockings, etc) so quite a bit of kit bashing from now on.

I've done a few tests and a simple character with outfit using the default Iray light that would take me 14 minutes now takes me slightly over 3 minutes. It varied. Those were 900 pixels or more, but no hair. Happy dance! I'm focusing on getting the files installed (from the start) and doing it the way I want to, before I start really playing and rendering. That's why I don't have any hair installed yet. (I'm only in the C's in clothing for G2F.) 

Some of the clothing categories I created and found helpful were....barbarian/skimpy....bathtime/bedtime...exercise/workout....farm/overalls/work.  Then there's the typical, like dresses with 3 sub menus of casual-formal-short, where casual means longer length and family friendly. For Hose (panty) I also include leggings.  One thing to look for when you customize, watch for poses that work with other products, such as hand poses. One clothing item had a chair and sitting poses!  (Edit- which reminded me of two years ago, when I pointed out the $10 swimsuit that came with the end of a pool!) 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2016

Rich, wanna play and test a bit? Do you have Casual Cool, Casual Comfort, or Casual Denim 2? (Casual Denim 2 has the chair prop, btw) We could load G2F with the outfit, with the default Iray lights that load at the beginning, and render her in a T pose and see what the timing is if we both have the same max samples and iterations. 

When placing her in the center in the T pose wearing Casual Cool, (all three pieces, the pants, camisole and overshirt, no shoes, no hair)  the size was 848 x900, I set the iterations and max seconds high so I knew it would have more than enough leeway (max samples 10,000 and time was 60,000 seconds.)

The image came in at 22 seconds.

At 31 seconds it was 84%

At at 38 seconds it was 212 iterations

At at 48 seconds it was 98% done and 400 iterations (so about 200 iterations in 10 seconds)

Done at 54 seconds.

Love this Alienware 51!

CasualCool54 seconds.jpg
    848 x 900 - 104K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Rich, wanna play and test a bit? Do you have Casual Cool, Casual Comfort, or Casual Denim 2? (Casual Denim 2 has the chair prop, btw) We could load G2F with the outfit, with the default Iray lights that load at the beginning, and render her in a T pose and see what the timing is if we both have the same max samples and iterations. 

I would but I don't have any of those. Do you have Casual Jeans and T-Shirt for Genesis and Genesis 2 Female(s)Everyday Wardrobe for Genesis 2 Female(s) Jeans and ShirtMeriMay for Genesis 2 Female(s), or Seana Dress for Genesis 2 Female(s)? I have a few more if not.

edited January 2016

Yep, let's do Casual Jeans and Tshirt on Genesis 2, use the pixel size, etc from the message above. Zoom in leaving a slight space top and sides and bottom. Let me go install that, back in a few. I'm going to try to write down the iterations at some of the minute and minutes/thirty mark if I can. I'll run it a few times. PS- anyone else want to play, hop on in! Remember, no hair, in T pose. Default Iray light.

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.