Adding to Cart…
Licensing Agreement | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | EULA
© 2026 Daz Productions Inc. All Rights Reserved.You currently have no notifications.
Licensing Agreement | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy | EULA
© 2026 Daz Productions Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Comments
Just giving some minor updates on my DS-Manjaro-iMac travels: Installed the modified libraries at last, it was a bit of a hassle as I couldn't seem to find the actual release page for downloading
, went smoothly after that. To be fair, I did have to ask an LLM again as all the acronyms on the page got me so confused, being such a Linux newbie, that I really didn't know what was what and what to put where. I know they're a bane on the environment, and I never use them for anything even remotely generative (don't have any account with any of them either), but for IT stuff like this and idiots like me, they're a godsend. And I figured out that if you tell them right away to not waste time and resources but get to the point as quickly as possible, that often speeds up the process immensely. Which is better for the environment. Anyways, where was I ...
Weirdly, right before I did that, Lutris seemed to have forgotten all about DAZ Studio, there was only DIM anywhere to be found. I fumbled around with the terminal for a bit which was pretty sure DS was still there, and then suddenly, it reappeared. That was before any updates or such. I hope it's not gonna become a common thing, still don't know why that happened.
I haven't dared to actually test the egpu with DS again yet, and I keep getting distracted playing with Filatoon which works really fine on my weird Manjaro/iMac combo. But the set-up even survived my first system update which is really cool I feel. Lutris did reset itself to using 'Proton latest' instead of 'system', which didn't work for me first time around and now didn't either, but after resetting to 'system', DS started alright. It's also really responsive, no lagging or anything. I do keep my scenes small because of the ooooold hardware, but with this caveat, it's been fun so far.
It's working!
Just wanted to drop a quick TY to everyone in this thread for all of the Linux tips! Built myself a new desktop a few weeks ago - even with these prices (Ultra 9, 192GB, 5090 - I've been saving for a new Mac Studio since Dec '25 but decided to jump ship as DAZ never made it clear if there software was going to work once Intel support was dropped) - around Fedora 44. Took a couple of tries, had lots of little issues, but everything resolved itself once I figured out how to case insensitive / casefold.
Blender, Unity and now DAZ all working under Linux. Full speed gamedev mode!
TY again!
Even plugins?
jmucchiello,
Thanks for the reality check.
Looking into Daz plugins would be a "morning after" task. Typically, the priority is to get Daz and Linux working nicely, a baseline goal calling for days of trial and error ... even all nighters, for the brave of heart!
It would be helpful on your end to list all the Daz plugins you think should be checked. Mind you though, if you hang around long enough in any Linux community, you'll find most folks adopting a "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good" philosophy. Everything is a work-in-progress, and it keeps people engaged. Fair warning: any nay-saying or FUDing (fear-uncertainty-and-doubt) will likely be met with mild interest.
I speak from personal experience, getting my hands dirty with Slackware Linux back in the stone age days of floppy disk installations, when we hooked into the fledgling Internet via modems, and the community was a patchwork of electronic bulletin boards. The Men From GNU made for a persuasive group, peeling us away from standard issue UNIX. Somewhere along the way, the WWW burst forth and Linux became the cornerstone OS ... for good or for ill.
Fast forward decades to today, I was chatting with a college CS major who was hopping with excitement about deploying as many Linux distros that he could among the handful of PCs he's assembled in bedroom. Heh. It took being bitten by the Linux bug to cure him of his nightly video game habits.
Cheers!
@jmucchiello
Once you've got DS installed and working then everything else will slot into place. The plugins folder will exist in any Linux distro inside a pseudo-Windows environment exactly where you would expect it to and all you need to do is either use DIM or manually drop the .dll files into it as you would normally. I have yet to encounter a plugin that works in native Windows that doesn't in a Linux WINE environment and I would be surprised to learn that there was one. However, the converse is also true: If it doesn't work in Windows (e.g. a DS4 plugin in DS6) then it won't magically start working in Linux.
@plj1225
Yup, it can be a bit of a head-scratcher at times if you're new(ish) to Linux and haven't run through the process before but, as you've discovered, rocket science it ain't!
If plug-ins didn't work then DS wouldn't, a lot of the base application is actually implemented with plug-ins.
That's great to know about the plug ins, I was getting a bit worried there for a moment! Like maybe some plug ins can depend on something that is Windows-specific and cannot be emulated under Linux. Good to hear that it's actually not so.
My setup worked on Mint with Lutris for quite some time, but now it doesn't properly pass mouse clicks. Anyone have ideas?
@brainmuffin
Really needs more info to figure out what's going on but as a start, check the runner for DS in Lutris. There have been some updates to the Proton runners which can cause issues with DS so, if it isn't already, set your runner to use System WINE. You'll need to run the nvidia-libs setup again (if you use it) if you do change the runner as the symlinks that the package creates will be dropped.
I'm assuming the mouse works perfectly well everywhere else except in Lutris and that it's not a hardware issue and I'm also assuming you're using an X11 session and not Wayland, so:
1 - Do your clicks pass through DS and get registered by the desktop? (Make DS windowed and put something underneath it that will start or open to check this.)
2 - Are your clicks working but offset against the mouse pointer position?
3 - None of the above but the clicks register intermittently?
4 - None of the above and the mouse doesn't work at all?
@brainmuffin, I support the idea that some update or other may have changed something either in the runner or, as happened to me, has reset the runner to another one. Can you roll back with Time Shift?
Now I've also got a question of my own (again): I've finally gotten my weird setup of old iMac + Manjaro Linux + eGPU with RTX 3060 to actually run (yay!); DS recognizes the RTX correctly and uses it, renders dForce and all. So I'm really happy already. The question relates to the render process.
Before, on more conventional systems, whenever the render started this little progress window would pop up, informing one what the render engine was currently doing and such, and how far the render was already cooked. I would also see the render build itself in the render window. But now on Manjaro, there's no extra info window (yes, I've looked behind the render window as well, another machine played that trick on me already), and there's no progress to be seen in the render window either. It's sometimes just black, sometimes checkerboard (i think the last one is when rendering dForce stuff). And then suddenly, the picture plops into existence. Huh?!
This is behavior I'd always associated with NPR renderers, not Iray. Does anyone know what this means, and possibly how to change it? I find the info window really helpful and would much like to have it back, and seeing the render becoming clearer and clearer is such a neat thing also (well, for me at least - and you can catch obvious mistakes early on).
@tsroemi
The progress window will be there but might be behind the application itself. Within Lutris, and given the same runner, any application will run identically across distros and I can't imagine yours is somehow unique, despite the unusual hardware. As for your render popping into existence only when it's finished, the first thing I would suspect is the render settings in DS - check you haven't set 'Update Interval' in the Progressive Rendering section to something unusually long - the default is 5 seconds - or Min Update Samples to something a bit daft - the default is 1.
I don't think this is a Linux issue as such, but I am often proved wrong :)
@TimberWolf, thanks as always for your suggestions! I'll try both for sure.
Apologies just came back to the thread.. not really familiar with too many DAZ plugins but I do use the Unreal and Unity exporters and those work fine under DAZ 4 (nothing for 6 yet).
One thing I had some issues with following the Lutris guides that were not obvious (initially) to me, Wine and Proton appear to be separate 'Wine Environments' (or whatever the correct technical term would be) so changes to one doesn't change the other. I'm using normal Wine 11 instead of Proton. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but switching away from Proton made a lot of the Nvidia hackery just work.
@3DIO
Winboat is very definitely a VM using Docker to containerise the Windows applications. It's easy to setup and works well but suffers from the same passthrough limitations as any VM. Bear in mind that you also need almost an entire Windows installation for each app and that space can add up quite quickly. You *can* get GPU passthrough working with it if you have two GPUs but the results are.... pretty bad honestly. It's been a long time since I've tried it so it may be that things have moved on but I found DS viewport and content management performance in Winboat significantly worse than running it in a WINE environment. I would use Winboat/any VM only for those applications that don't play well with WINE. And then comes the circular debate we've had countless times (and you know what's coming!)... at this point you're going to be better off dual-booting.
If you are dead set on going down the VM route, Winboat is probably the simplest way to do it. Don't expect miracles though.
I'd definitely be interested to hear of your experience of the latest version of Winboat vs. WINE though.
@3DIO, I'd also be interested in your findings! Right now, I have DS runnig just fine on Manjaro (with GPU support) which is also Arch, so I don't see the need for a VM. But then again, i'm such a newb, it's always good to learn about alternatives!
I take it back.. I've got DAZ 4/6 running 99%. Anyone have any success getting the DazToUnity bridge successfully export textures for Unity materials? The FBX exports fine along with all of the materials, but the textures aren't anywhere to be found. I can manually export the FBX with the textures embedded instead of using the Bridge, but then all of the rigging is lost.
Any ideas?
@3DIO
Sorry to hear that. I initially thought you must be wrong with those prices or looking at something ridiculously overpriced but, nope, the average is now closer to £700 and the graphs show a price increase of 10% per month going back about 6 months. A 5090 is now over £4000. Oddly, I can find a 48GB A6000 for the same price as the 5090...shrug.
16GB AMD prices are high but not quite as insane - an 9060XT is just over £400 which would work pretty well in Cycles and can, as we proved, be beaten into working as an OpenCL device in DS. The option is always there.
I don't see foresee an end to these price rises for the foreseeable future as countries compete to build data centres as fast as they can. Once those prices go up, they rarely come back down again. Unless there's a black swan event and the whole AI/datacentre edifice comes crashing down there won't be much of a future for smaller scale rendering, PC gaming or consoles.
@plj1225
We don't use Daz meshes in our mobile games but as pre-rendered backgrounds and sprites. I haven't had any need to use this bridge but I am an experienced Unity and C# dev. I'm assuming you're using the HDRP but what version of Unity are you trying to send your models to and from what version of DS? The Daz-released bridge was last updated rather a long time ago and if you're using Unity 6.x I somehow doubt it will work properly - https://github.com/daz3d/DazToUnity
The entry on the Daz store itself shows compatibility only with older versions of DS (which are no longer available) and an older version of Unity itself - https://www.daz3d.com/unity-bridge and https://www.daz3d.com/daz-to-unity-bridge
However, in the Unity forum there is an updated version which works with DS4 and might be what you need, rather than the version in the store. We don't need it so I can't say how well it works but give the unofficial version a shot:
https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/756156/daztounity-new-version-unity-6-compatibility-runtime-render-pipeline
I apologize for my ignorance if this has already been discussed and solutions have been found for my problem, but does anyone know how to fix the bug where the mouse seems to get stuck when moving the camera, whether using the cube in the upper-right corner or the shortcuts in DAZ Studio 6? I’m using an RTX 5060 Ti 16GB. I asked Gemini for help (I have the Pro version because of my Google Drive subscription), and he guided me perfectly through the installation on Lutris. The program is running perfectly despite Wine’s archaic explorer.exe… Gemini wasn’t able to help me, even though he showed me several alternatives to try to fix this error. I did a quick search in this thread but didn’t find my specific problem.
Do you mean stuck as in 'will not move' or as in 'the cursor gets locked into rotate/move functionality' ?
If the former I have never seen it and have no idea what could cause it or cure it. If the latter, it was an annoyingly intermittent occurrence in just DS6 for me as well. DS4 is absolutely fine but that's not really any use to you if your only GPU is a 5060. The 'solution' I came up with is more of a workaround which was to map the rotate/pan/orbit controls to match Blender's and never touch the DS UI controls again. If you're used to using a mouse and modifier keys to move around the viewport in Unity/Unreal/Blender/etc. then perhaps consider mirroring them in DS, if nothing else for muscle memory. My ultimate solution was to switch off DS6 completely due to it's appalling performance and stick with DS4 and Blender. I have not seen this issue occuring on my Windows installation so I do think it's a Linux-specific problem. I don't think it's GPU-dependent either. On my home PC I use a 3060 as the display device and a 5060Ti as a compute device. Switching them around did not help with that bug occurring on both.
I'm running CachyOS with KDE Plasma (Wayland). Wayland can still be a little buggy on occasion, with some input and display issues still not completely resolved. If you do have a desktop that uses Wayland you could try switching it to an X11 (Xorg) session and see if the mouse issue improves or disappears. As you have Gemini Pro you'll get an instant answer on how to do it for your combination of distro & desktop if you're not sure. No guarantees it will help but it only takes a minute or two to try it out. I can't be any more specific as you didn't say what your OS is so you may already be using X11.
As an aside, that file manager is not an old bit of Windows software. It's a native Linux program - WineFile - designed to replicate the file explorer from the Windows 95 era to keep it as simple and lightweight as possible. Modern version of Windows Explorer are actually tightly integrated into the Windows shell and it would be a heck of a job to get that working for no real benefit. Its visuals and functionality are as abysmal as they were in the actual Win95/NT OS :)
I apologize again—English isn’t my native language. What I mean is that when I use the cube or the shortcut keys (which here work with Ctrl + Alt + mouse), the viewport’s movement freezes, lacking the smoothness we have in Windows. It’s as if I were moving the mouse and there were glue on the mousepad.
Yes, I tested it by switching to X11, and the problem remains the same. Gemini thought it might be a Wayland-specific bug, but there’s no fix. Other solutions he recommended included lowering the mouse’s Hz—since mine is set to 1000 Hz—and disabling the mouse distortion overlay, among other things, but none of them worked.
Yes, when I referred to the “more archaic” Explorer, I was referring to certain features that aren’t actually present in Windows Explorer. But nothing that gets in the way.
I found out that it was actually the mouse's polling rate, which is 1000 Hz. I did some research on the problem with Wine in general, and many people reported something similar in different programs and games—the mouse “sticking” when moving. Since Linux wasn’t applying the settings specified by Gemini, my solution was to install Windows 10 on the VM and use my mouse’s own app to configure it. I set it to 500 Hz, and now it works great, however, it still “lags” a bit, lacking the smoothness it has on Windows itself, as if it were running at low performance.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the motivation for switching to Linux? Is it just ideological or will it make Daz 6 run faster/better?
Windows has always been bloated and that bloat grows. Windows now had ads on the start bat. It will only get worse. Every time Windows updates, you have to pray your system restarts successfully.
That last bit also applies to Linux. The difference is, if you don't want to update Linux, you don't have to. Avoiding with Windows is much harder.
For me - my main job is administering web servers and web servers on linux. Only bug i found is a conflict between my NVidia 3060 driver and AMD internal processor driver (so the system can hang once or twice per day). Daz runs ok-ish via Bottles
@omvendt
To be honest, for me there is an ideological element to using Linux. I object to the oversight and restrictions MS places on what I as a user can do with Windows, I resent being forced into adopting intrusive and unwanted OS components because they serve Microsoft's interests and not mine. The decades-old bugs, the advertising and the data harvesting are the cherries on top.
From a more positive perspective, Linux distros are very lightweight and use far fewer system resources than Windows - it doesn't matter whether you have an older system or the latest cutting-edge components, Linux generally flies where Windows gets bogged down. Linux also gives you full access to that hardware, if you wish, with no gatekeeping or nannying, but with the underlying assumption that you understand and know what you're doing. If you use any form of local AI it is also *significantly* quicker in Linux.
From a performance perspective Daz Studio can never be quicker in any Linux distro than it is in Windows. Running DS under Linux there is an additional translation layer which converts software and hardware calls to Windows resources into Linux resources and that will obviously take additional processing time. That said, I see zero practical difference between Windows and Linux with DS4. It's harder for me to tell with DS6 because the performance of that version is terrible in both Windows and Linux on my PC, but it's about the same.
I think if you asked ten different people why they switched to Linux I suspect you'd get ten different answers!
I've had most stuff working on Fedora KDE for a while.
I've never tested the bridges though. Just straight DS. Iray and Dforce.
One thing which never worked was the Map Transfer as the baked textures always come out as empty (black canvases)
The most recent collection of bugs has convinced me to do with DAZ Studio the same I've done with my guitar plugins and some of the games I played the most (all of which don't work particularly well under Linux) which will be inevitably give up on trying to use that stuff on Linux.
I'm thinking Fedora is going to become a "ChromeOS" sort of OS for me (just to use web browsers)
I haven't been able to pinpoint which of the September Updates broke Toolbars from Custom Actions for products like cayman legacy UVs, where the script doesn't execute everything it should, to things like Genesis 9 makeup Scripts not doing a thing (like Van Helsing 9)
No meaningful information on the logs, no error messages, nada.
I've checked different runners (creating .sh scripts to avoid changing my system Wine), tested with both 4.24 and 4.23 and the result it the same.
Guess I just got yet another reason to actually boot into Windows 10 and spend more time there. (Thanks a lot Fedora...)