How to Use dForce: Creating a Blanket, Draping Clothes on Furniture, and Much More [Commercial]

1333435363739»

Comments

• Xero7489Xero7489 Posts: 20

thanks so much for the advice! really appreciate it

i managed to get the bed to work, though no luck with the tape wrapped over the mouth. over the hair or even just under the hair.

couldnt get the bag over the head/hair to work either, i tried doing just a regular baseball type cap over the hair like you did with the aviator hat as a test and it didnt work either unfortunately. hat basically spazzed and exploded during the sim

• Tape around the mouth: sometimes with simple things using a smoothing modifier on a cylinder that has been shrunk to be just inside the figure will work quite well with no resort to simulation. Got it to work quite sucessfully to make a boob tube on a fairly flat chested model (where it didn't look wrong that the material touched her sternum), so a tape over the mouth could be OK.

Regards,

Richard

richardandtracy said:

Tape around the mouth: sometimes with simple things using a smoothing modifier on a cylinder that has been shrunk to be just inside the figure will work quite well with no resort to simulation. Got it to work quite sucessfully to make a boob tube on a fairly flat chested model (where it didn't look wrong that the material touched her sternum), so a tape over the mouth could be OK.

Regards,

Richard

Ohh yeah that's the method i've been using, was just wondering if there was maybe a better way to do it with simulation, or a way to have the tape go over the hair as well and compress it, rather than use the mesh grabber tool and postwork in photoshop like i do now 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

Xero7489 said:

i managed to get the bed to work, though no luck with the tape wrapped over the mouth. over the hair or even just under the hair.

couldnt get the bag over the head/hair to work either, i tried doing just a regular baseball type cap over the hair like you did with the aviator hat as a test and it didnt work either unfortunately. hat basically spazzed and exploded during the sim

I'll give it a try and see. Did you have a dForce modifier on the hat? If it exploded it sounds like you did. No need for that. The hat is only scaled, not dForced, it acts as a helper object to compress the hair which is the object with the dForce modifier.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,780
    edited August 2023

Xero7489 said:

Good! I share a similar case as per what you need. There're two scene files with full settings, 1st file is for making the dForced items ( 4 shapes with different dynamic surface settings + weights), 2nd file is for squeezing the hair (with imported dForced objects from the 1st file).

The Toulouse Hair is from G8's starter pack (you need to add dForce modifier to it). I could not inlcude that cap which is from SKU# 60947... but just show you the values on the timeline. As long as you set them up well, you'll get good result.

https://mega.nz/file/XbQxHCiQ#nUaO2i7t5vf8LuqsM2HJMk91yzBbdaDOr6pExeYmQeQ

In case there's some tiny poke-thru, push / drag a bit with MG.

Post edited by crosswind on
    edited August 2023

Xero7489 said:

Is this the look you are going for? If so, I'll describe how I got it.

Post edited by RGcincy on

RGcincy said:

Xero7489 said:

Is this the look you are going for? If so, I'll describe how I got it.

Ohh yeah something very close to this, just the bag/wrap tight over the face as well but yeah this is more or less what i meant 

RGcincy said:

Xero7489 said:

I'll give it a try and see. Did you have a dForce modifier on the hat? If it exploded it sounds like you did. No need for that. The hat is only scaled, not dForced, it acts as a helper object to compress the hair which is the object with the dForce modifier.

ohh okay yeah i think i had the hat dforced as well, thanks for the tip! 

crosswind said:

Xero7489 said:

Good! I share a similar case as per what you need. There're two scene files with full settings, 1st file is for making the dForced items ( 4 shapes with different dynamic surface settings + weights), 2nd file is for squeezing the hair (with imported dForced objects from the 1st file).

The Toulouse Hair is from G8's starter pack (you need to add dForce modifier to it). I could not inlcude that cap which is from SKU# 60947... but just show you the values on the timeline. As long as you set them up well, you'll get good result.

Ohh thanks, i'll give this a shot! really appreciate the help :) 

crosswind said:

Xero7489 said:

i was able to get it to work using the files you sent me! thank you so much, it was incredibly helpful! i really like the props you made for the blindfold and mouth tape as well! Any chance i could commission you to make some other similar props to those? i'd happily pay you for them! 

i was able to get it to work using the files you sent me! thank you so much, it was incredibly helpful! i really like the props you made for the blindfold and mouth tape as well! Any chance i could commission you to make some other similar props to those? i'd happily pay you for them! 

Hoho, happy to hear that you've got it done. And those 'Props' were just made from Cylinder primitives in DS. I don't make money from these stuff but thank you! I suggest you learn how to make sth. like that, it'll take some time but will be pertty interesting. Here's a tutorial from Jay, maybe you can take a look and you'll find it useful -: https://www.youtube.com/live/cYPH4xD8_F8?si=c6vScnQY_93Z-1k0  Good luck! yes

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,162

Xero7489 said:

crosswind said:

Xero7489 said:

If this is something you have frequent need for, you might want to look at Iray Tapeworx.

crosswind said:

Hoho, happy to hear that you've got it done. And those 'Props' were just made from Cylinder primitives in DS. I don't make money from these stuff but thank you! I suggest you learn how to make sth. like that, it'll take some time but will be pertty interesting. Here's a tutorial from Jay, maybe you can take a look and you'll find it useful -: https://www.youtube.com/live/cYPH4xD8_F8?si=c6vScnQY_93Z-1k0  Good luck! yes

ohh okay, well thanks again for the files and settings, really helped me figure it out! 

barbult said:

Xero7489 said:

crosswind said:

Xero7489 said:

If this is something you have frequent need for, you might want to look at Iray Tapeworx.

ohh i have that product, thanks for reminding me!  

edited September 2023

95. A Veil Covering the Face and Hair

In some cultures women wear a veil that covers the hair and/or the face. The process used to create this type of object can also be used for a shroud, mask, sack, bag, or other full head covering.

a. Load a figure and hair. I used G2F since it is quick to load on my system.

b. Set up the hair as we did in 93. Putting a Hat Over Hair. What’s needed varies by hair type as some hairs are easy to prep and others much harder.

c. Create a primitive sphere of 64 segments and 64 sides. Scale it to cover the head and hair.

d. Use the geometry editor to select and delete the bottom dozen rows of the sphere (see 30. Exploration of the Half Sphere for directions, although take less off the bottom).

e. Add a dynamic dForce modifier to the sphere. Set Stretch and Bend Stiffness to 0.1 (this is needed as the sphere has trigons at the end and these will result in an explosion if the simulation settings are left at default values). Optional: Set Shear Stiffness to 0.1 to 0.15 to increase the length of the veil.

f. Add a lace texture to the sphere.

g. On the Simulations Setting pane, use an animated timeline for Duration and set Start Bones from Memorized Pose to off.

h. Run simulation. You should get something similar to this image. The hair will be very flat which isn’t noticeable through the lace. 

i. If you want the hair to remain fluffier, select the hair surface, go to the Surfaces pane, and change the Dynamic Strength in the Simulation setting to 0.75. Set Gravity to 0.2 in the Simulation Settings pane. These changes will help the hair resists collapsing.

j. The veil will drape from the nose. If you want it tighter fitting, you can use a torus helper to draw the bottom closer.

k. Create a primitive torus of 1 foot diameter and 1 inch inner diameter.

l. Position it and scale it as needed to surround the neck and the sphere at frame 0. Set a keyframe at frame 0 and another at frame 5.

m. At frame 8 scale and positon the torus so it is close to the neck.

n. Run the simulation. The torus will pull the veil in for a tighter fit.

o. Change the texture to canvas for a sack covering the head.

dForce Veil.jpg
    635 x 652 - 139K
    dForce Veil fluffy hair.jpg
    635 x 652 - 141K
    dForce Veil helper - nose.jpg
    342 x 580 - 91K
    dForce Veil w torus frame 0 and 5.jpg
    635 x 652 - 146K
    dForce Veil w torus frame 8.jpg
    635 x 652 - 39K
    dForce Veil using torus helper.jpg
    635 x 652 - 115K
    dForce Veil using torus helper - nose.jpg
    417 x 580 - 83K
    dForce canvas bag.jpg
    635 x 652 - 60K
    dForce Veil frame 0.jpg
    635 x 652 - 151K
    dForce Veil flat hair.jpg
    635 x 652 - 48K
  • RGcincy said:

In some cultures women wear a veil that covers the hair and/or the face. The process used to create this type of object can also be used for a shroud, mask, sack, bag, or other full head covering.

b. Set up the hair as we did in 93. Putting a Hat Over Hair. What’s needed varies by hair type as some hairs are easy to prep and others much harder.

c. Create a primitive sphere of 64 segments and 64 sides. Scale it to cover the head and hair.

d. Use the geometry editor to select and delete the bottom dozen rows of the sphere (see 30. Exploration of the Half Sphere for directions, although take less off the bottom).

e. Add a dynamic dForce modifier to the sphere. Set Stretch and Bend Stiffness to 0.1 (this is needed as the sphere has trigons at the end and these will result in an explosion if the simulation settings are left at default values). Optional: Set Shear Stiffness to 0.1 to 0.15 to increase the length of the veil.

g. On the Simulations Setting pane, use an animated timeline for Duration and set Start Bones from Memorized Pose to off.

h. Run simulation. You should get something similar to this image.

i. The hair will be very flat which isn’t noticeable through the lace. If you want it fluffier, select the hair surface, go to the Surfaces pane, and change the Dynamic Strength in the Simulation setting to 0.75. Set Gravity to 0.2 in the Simulation Settings pane. These changes will help the hair resists collapsing.

j. The veil will drape from the nose. If you want it tighter fitting, you can use a torus helper to draw the bottom closer.

l. Position it and scale it as needed to surround the neck and the sphere at frame 0. Set a keyframe at frame 0 and another at frame 5.

really appreciate this, thanks so much!  

• Xero7489 said:

RGcincy said:

h. Run simulation. You should get something similar to this image.

i. The hair will be very flat which isn’t noticeable through the lace. If you want it fluffier, select the hair surface, go to the Surfaces pane, and change the Dynamic Strength in the Simulation setting to 0.75. Set Gravity to 0.2 in the Simulation Settings pane. These changes will help the hair resists collapsing.

really appreciate this, thanks so much!  

hi there again, having a bit of trouble with this one too, mainly step B. would be helpful if i could know what specific settings you used? or like how exactly you positioned the primitive at the beginning and end of the timeline? any help would be appreciated :) 

edited September 2023

Xero7489 said:

hi there again, having a bit of trouble with this one too, mainly step B. would be helpful if i could know what specific settings you used? or like how exactly you positioned the primitive at the beginning and end of the timeline? any help would be appreciated :) 

There were two more photos to add but I can't get them uploaded to the forum since it's been so wacky recently. I was surprised it actually took images yesterday. I'll try to get them added but it may not work.

The site also messed with the two links on the tutorial, steps B and D. I deleted them and redid them so they should work now. If not, the very first post on this thread is an index so look at tutorials number 30 and 93.

Step B deals with setting up the hair to dForce. You can skip that if you want the hair to just remain as it normally appears. The bag will still fit around it, the hair just won't deform in any way. That may be an easier place to start  and maybe an acceptable result for you. Note that not dForcing the hair  means the steps with the torus to tighten the bag won't work well however.

Each hair is different so it's hard to know what's needed. The main thing is that the hair's roots need to be secured by using a weight map and this is explained in tutorial 93.

In terms of the primitive location, just make sure it is scaled at frame 0 to fully extend beyond the hair and head. No animation is needed for the sphere. It would look like the image on step L but without the torus.

Also, when you respond, you don't have to quote the tutorial as that adds confusion to the page as there are now multiple copies and it can be hard to tell which is the original and any edits don't show up in the copies. Thanks.

• ohh okay thanks for the update, my apologies with the quoting as well! i'll be sure to skip that in the future

• Hi everyone, sorry to be a pest once again, but i have an issue i hope you can help with. i have some clothing outfits/items that force my models body parts to be hidden, such as their legs and feet. when i try to hide the clothing item (boot for example) in the scene tab, the entire leg/foot is hidden as well. i tried using the opacity setting in the surface tab as well, and same problem. essentially i want to hide just the boots of the outfit, so the models bare legs are visible. anyone know how i could achieve this? thanks in advance 

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

It's probably an outfit setup to hide parts of the figure when used. Check this thread: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/257601/characters-body-is-disappearing

edited September 2023

Xero7489 said:

Hi everyone, sorry to be a pest once again, but i have an issue i hope you can help with. i have some clothing outfits/items that force my models body parts to be hidden, such as their legs and feet. when i try to hide the clothing item (boot for example) in the scene tab, the entire leg/foot is hidden as well. i tried using the opacity setting in the surface tab as well, and same problem. essentially i want to hide just the boots of the outfit, so the models bare legs are visible. anyone know how i could achieve this? thanks in advance 

The outfit or esp. the boots you mentioned uses an Auto-Hide graft. Normally there're 2 ways to manipulate them: 1) Delete the boots from the Scene pane rather than hiding them; 2) Fit the boots to None before hiding them, if you still wanna have the boots to be with the figure : RMB-click on the boots in the Scene pane - Fit "xxx" to ... - Select 'None' from the dropdown list, then reparent the boots to the figure. Hide the boots, you'll see the figure's legs / feet.

Besides, the Auto-Hide graft was saved with the geometry data of the boots, you have no way to remove it in DS other than editing the geometry dsf file... If you wanna completely remove the graft and then manually hide the legs / feet, pls refer to this thread -: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/8330631/

As for locating the geometry dsf file of the boots in data folder, just select the boots in Scene pane, go to menu: Edit - Figure - Scene Identification..., in the filed of Scene ID, there's the full path of the geometry dsf file.

PS: In case there's no auto-hide graft on the boots, pls check the nodes of thighs / shins / feet / toes of the figure, see if they're directly hidden when loading the boots... (Eye Icons closed...)

Post edited by crosswind on
  • ohh okay yeah ive tried the fit to none option before, though another issue is that the boots are not a separate part of certain outfits, meaning that the whole outfit is like a body suit for example, or a lower half of one. so essentially i want to hide the boots only, but keep the rest of the outfit visible, such as the upper body/arms area or the waist/legs area of the outfit

Xero7489 said:

ohh okay yeah ive tried the fit to none option before, though another issue is that the boots are not a separate part of certain outfits, meaning that the whole outfit is like a body suit for example, or a lower half of one. so essentially i want to hide the boots only, but keep the rest of the outfit visible, such as the upper body/arms area or the waist/legs area of the outfit

Okay, you better name the outfit.. Anyway, there're 2 issues: 1st, you check if the boots have separate material zone on Surfaces pane or if it's possible to well select their geometry with Geometry Editor... either way will do for hiding them. 2nd, for showing legs / feet while keeping the outfit fitted on your figure, just follow the above mentioned thread to remove the Auto-Hide graft from the outfit's geometry file in data folder. Backup the dsf file beforehand...

• ohh okay ill give these a try, thank you so much for the advice and information!

• hey everyone, i was curious if there was a way to convert genesis 9 clothing to fit genesis 8 models? i know there's a script out there for the opposite, but i was wondering if anyone knew of one to go from gen9 to gen8? or if there was an alternate way to do it if not?

• felisfelis Posts: 3,672

Xero7489 said:

hey everyone, i was curious if there was a way to convert genesis 9 clothing to fit genesis 8 models? i know there's a script out there for the opposite, but i was wondering if anyone knew of one to go from gen9 to gen8? or if there was an alternate way to do it if not?

There is not a converter. but Mattymanx has made some clones so you can use autofit https://www.daz3d.com/mmx-genesis-9-clones-for-all

Xero7489 said:

hey everyone, i was curious if there was a way to convert genesis 9 clothing to fit genesis 8 models? i know there's a script out there for the opposite, but i was wondering if anyone knew of one to go from gen9 to gen8? or if there was an alternate way to do it if not?

You can easily create a G9 Clone for G8 then use auto-fit for conversions, or use Bone Mapping + Transfer Rigging for conversions.