Fiddling with Iray skin settings...

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited April 2015

The problem, I finally realized, is that the surface is too smooth. Water on skin is often bumpy with droplets or whatnot.

(I'm having reasonable results using base thin film, not top coat, and making sure the skin has decent bump values)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • 8eos88eos8 Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

That's interesting....I've been wondering if we should be using thin film for something. :)

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

8eos8 said:
    Some more experimentation....I finally got a more noticeable SSS effect by increasing translucency, but the skin tone became a bit darker as a side-effect. Need to play with the translucency and transmission colors more. What I did this time:

- Removed all specular maps
    - Translucency Weight: 0.8; Color: HSV 48/72/240
    - Glossy Layered Weight: 0.5; Color: white; Roughness: 0.8
    - Refraction Index: 1.44 (not sure this has any effect though, as Refraction Weight is 0)
    - Top Coat Weight: 0.02 (or 0.05 for face); Roughness: 0.1 (0.2 for less shiny skin); Layering Mode: Fresnel; IOR: 1.34; and add bump maps with weight 2
    - Transmitted Measurement Distance: 2; Color: HSV 300/48/240; Scattering Distance: 0.5
    - SSS Amount: 0.8; Direction: -0.5

Thank you for sharing your settings! I have to try this mapless spec idea. *Off to re-render Sebastian again*

• 8eos88eos8 Posts: 170
    edited April 2015

Glad I could help :) I've also been finding that inverting the specular maps and plugging them into the roughness channels (Glossy and Top Coat) helps to break up the specular highlights and not make the skin look so smooth. (I tried inverted bump maps too, but that didn't work as well, I guess because they're too much in midrange grays.)

Post edited by 8eos8 on
    edited April 2015

This is a before and after! I'm going to experiment with some of my no-spec M4 textures next. It's not a perfect comparison because I also changed my HDR to a more skin-friendly one.

Sebastian03.jpg
    1619 x 1000 - 1M
    SebastianRedoIray.jpg
    2000 x 1235 - 2M
    Post edited by SickleYield on
    edited April 2015

Well, that's weird.

Doing some tests, I'm finding that with, say, Victoria 6HD, top coat (.8 weight, flat white, fresnel 1.3 IOR) looks fine for 'wet skin' and thin film barely registers.

(scratches his head)

Here's a 'dry skin' vs. 'wet skin' with top coat test, which looks pretty cool.

SO CONFUSING

(You know, looking at the 'top coat' render, I wonder if it would look better with diffuse put back in as top coat color...)

Wettest_-_Top2.png
    667 x 1080 - 981K
    Wettest_-_Dry1.png
    667 x 1080 - 1017K
    Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited December 1969

Well, that's weird.

Doing some tests, I'm finding that with, say, Victoria 6HD, top coat (.8 weight, flat white, fresnel 1.3 IOR) looks fine for 'wet skin' and thin film barely registers.

(scratches his head)

Here's a 'dry skin' vs. 'wet skin' with top coat test, which looks pretty cool.

SO CONFUSING

That looks good!

I changed the Trans/SSS colors on mine for Sebastian's very pale, not-at-all-olive skin compared to Olympia's, I forgot to say.

edited April 2015

Hrm. I THINK putting Diffuse in the top coat color might be a good idea?

hrrrrm

First image: Top coat white (.8 weight, 1.3 IOR fresnel)
    Second image: Top coat = diffuse map

But the second image just ends up looking more... metallic than wet.

Wettest_-_TopD4.png
    667 x 1080 - 984K
    Wettest_-_Top2.png
    667 x 1080 - 981K
    Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited December 1969

Okay, this is behind deviantart's maturity filter, so I think it's okay to post the link. It has male nudity, but the skin shaders are MUCH better than I've been doing to this point!

Lighting really matters. I had to just throw out the .exr I made in Blender, it was muddying up my skins.

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/art/Taric-in-Iray-Male-Nudity-525814922

edited December 1969

And here is Fawne by Silver with 8eos8's suggested settings! I'm getting closer on the eye settings, finally. Here's a preset for her if anyone else wants to try. Adjusting the degree of bump for render distance is recommended.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuzoc98tblu8h1p/FawneMatIray.zip?dl=0

FawneG2F.jpg
    500 x 650 - 153K
    edited December 1969

Have people seen much point to using SSS for skin rather than just translucence?

The effects are small, have people really noticed a difference?

edited December 1969

Have people seen much point to using SSS for skin rather than just translucence?

The effects are small, have people really noticed a difference?

SSS shows up most in dim or indirect lighting. So how much it shows up depends entirely on the scene.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I don't know I tried adjusting the skin settings based on what I've gotten from this thread but.. the glossy is just too uniform, doesn't look right.

skin-test.jpg
    521 x 844 - 302K
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    I don't know I tried adjusting the skin settings based on what I've gotten from this thread but.. the glossy is just too uniform, doesn't look right.

What's your lighting?

• ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

And here is Fawne by Silver with 8eos8's suggested settings! I'm getting closer on the eye settings, finally. Here's a preset for her if anyone else wants to try. Adjusting the degree of bump for render distance is recommended.

oh! :cheese: As soon as I get threw the past two days of missed messages, messing with that SubDragonLE mats, lol. I still have some Benches to run as well. Thanks!
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,008
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

Raise the Glossy Roughness until you're happy with it, maybe. :)
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

What's your lighting?

sun positioning, and I am pretty sure I remembered to turn the headlamp off.. tried again with some minor tweaks but still not sure.
    (same sun position, again no headlamp.)

skin-test2.jpg
    521 x 844 - 303K
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited April 2015

Why are male skins so much easier to make convincingly realistic? Is it that they are more photographic and less painted?

My guys, even older textures like M4, can look pretty convincing with some attention to settings... the women, however, even with the newest V6 et al, soooo much harder. Best i've come up with so far is Olympia's base texture... and I'm still not at all happy with it.

Post edited by evilded777 on
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

What's your lighting?

sun positioning, and I am pretty sure I remembered to turn the headlamp off.. tried again with some minor tweaks but still not sure.

Are you using top coat? How's it set? and have you put the bump maps in top coat?

edited December 1969

Not quite 'skin,' but what refraction do folks suggest for 'Eye Reflection'?

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

What's your lighting?

Are you using top coat? How's it set? and have you put the bump maps in top coat?

No I don't have bumps in the top coat.. should probably work on that
    top coat weight 0.5
    top coat color white
    top coat color effect scatter & transmit
    top coat roughness 0.4
    top coat laying mode fresnel
    top coat IOR 1.5
    anisotropy 0
    roations 0
    thin film 0
    ior 1.4

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Rareth said:
    Rareth said:

What's your lighting?

No I don't have bumps in the top coat.. should probably work on that
    top coat weight 0.5
    top coat color white
    top coat color effect scatter & transmit
    top coat roughness 0.4
    top coat laying mode fresnel
    top coat IOR 1.5
    anisotropy 0
    roations 0
    thin film 0
    ior 1.4

Definetly put in the bumps, the wgt is kinda high for me and the roughness kinda low (preference). Try changing the color to 230,230,230 (.8.8.8) for base and top coat.

edited April 2015

tjohn said:
    Rareth said:

Raise the Glossy Roughness until you're happy with it, maybe. :)or try using a map in the strength control. I haven't mentioned it before, as I'm still not sure what map and where it would go in the Iray shader. Just the Where the gloss is, and Where the Velvet is, makes or breaks the look of skin and scales, even in 3delight.

To quote myself sort of referring to that SubDragonLE experimentation. Peach-fuzz on the cheeks and back of the hands is good, not so much on the lips, palms of the hands, and knuckles. Translucency on the ears is good with super-bright lights, not so much elsewhere there is bone in the way.

It may also require altering some maps as I had done with the SubDragonLE for 3DL.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/799887/
    "O" and Rogerbee was absolutely correct for the 'Amount' of reflection on eyes, 29%. It's just a matter of figuring out what layer to apply the settings to, on people. and translating this to the equivalent Iray shader settings.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/799951/

Post edited by ZarconDeeGrissom on
  • MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited April 2015

Not quite 'skin,' but what refraction do folks suggest for 'Eye Reflection'?

With the thin coat shader set at around a refraction of 1.33 I could never seem to get any eye reflections. Once I put the eye reflection settings refraction to 1.86 I got reflections 'All the time".

In certain instances I have lowered this rate, but fiddling with all the cornea, and tear surface settings turned out for me to be a waste of time, because once the eye reflections refraction rate was increased from the default Iray shader setting, I got reflections with no problems.

Hope this helps and works for you. :-)

Post edited by Musicplayer on
    edited April 2015

uh, perhaps I was a little optimistic at first. The only 'Fawne' that showed up in a search is an old V4 figure. :smirk: Nope, a V4 outfit, lol.
    https://www.daz3d.com/fawne-v4
    Well, in any case, folder folder folder, hmmm? Time to look and see if tinkering is even possible, or if Dragon Storms V4-to-G2F script will even function on Iray shaders.

I honestly just don't feel like fussing with V4's backwards joint controls, and Iray at the same time, lol. I'll find another way to have fun with this.

FolderGuess_001.png
    872 x 403 - 37K
    edited December 1969

Fawne is a Silver character in the Marketplace for the Site beginning with "R". :)

edited April 2015

tjohn said:
    Fawne is a Silver character in the Marketplace for the Site beginning with "R". :)
    lol. As I think I discovered, I'll spare you the Error log, lol.

I can think of two sites that start with 'R', and they specialize in Poser only stuff.

Do not have Poser, Do not want Poser-only content, Do not like how it dose not function half the time in Studio, Sam I am. lol.

Still, If it can be Ctrl-clicked onto another figure, it's a start. An example of sorts.
    (EDIT)
    Especially if it only takes switching the UV mapping back to whomever.
    (EDIT2)
    Now I do have Sapphira, IF it is the 'R' site I'm thinking of. Or is Silver at RuntimeDNA?

NoGo_On_G2F_002.png
    1451 x 695 - 227K
    NoGo_On_G2F_001.png
    1451 x 695 - 223K
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    lol. As I think I discovered, I'll spare you the Error log, lol.

I can think of two sites that start with 'R', and they specialize in Poser only stuff.

Do not have Poser, Do not want Poser-only content, Do not like how it dose not function half the time in Studio, Sam I am. lol.

Still, If it can be Ctrl-clicked onto another figure, it's a start. An example of sorts.

Not Poser-only although some products are. Fawne for example comes with a V4 and Genesis version, and textures for both Poser and DS.
    Just like a lot of products here at DAZ.

edited April 2015

We doubled when I edited my post, lol. I think there is something worth trying here. I'm sure some maps are in the wrong slots, tho this is much better already.
    (EDIT)
    Well, not so good in Iray, tho not horrid either. And there is a bad setting somewhere still, tho It is at least tolerable for experimenting with Iray now. Spot-renders don't take over an hour to get anywhere, lol.
    (EDIT2)
    Sapphira needs hair, and Taigafaeri posted some settings for that I want to try.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/800407/

MapsNeedMovingIguess_001.png
    1741 x 1098 - 499K
    NotFiringOnAllCylinders_001.png
    1562 x 524 - 37K
    Sapphira_With_FawneShaders_3DLtest_001.png
    1556 x 917 - 436K
    edited December 1969

still playing around with settings

Woman_in_red.jpg