Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520

If you want to use G9, then I believe you need 4.21

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,615
    edited January 2023

ProPose said:

If you want to use G9, then I believe you need 4.21

Wrong, am using Genesis 9 on DAZ Studio 4.10. Only thing affected is the PBR textures when you load Genesis 9, maybe other things but am happily using 4.10

Warning message about PBR

Skin added

G9 in 410 1.png
    2416 x 1028 - 303K
    G9 in 410 2.png
    2416 x 1028 - 373K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

I Stand Corrected. Thanks

Capture.JPG
    1784 x 1414 - 271K

ProPose said:

You're welcome !!! Officially DAZ Studio 4.21 was being pushed but G9 works okay on the lower versions.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/597316/genesis-9-we-are-back-in-the-game-carrara-users/p1

• Some features do require newer versions of DS (and it would be 4.20.x.x, not 4.2 - these are not decimals)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Bunyip02 said:

ProPose said:

You're welcome !!! Officially DAZ Studio 4.21 was being pushed but G9 works okay on the lower versions.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/597316/genesis-9-we-are-back-in-the-game-carrara-users/p1

That's pretty interesting, considering that it (apparently) takes at least 4.15 to load the full 8.1 character morphs in DS.  At least, that is my experience in 4.12.  The base genesis figure loads, and there is a slider for the character in the parameters tab, but the slider doesn't work.

edited January 2023

Genesis 8.1 definately had problems with Morphs in DAZ Studio 4.10

Genesis 9 has had all morphs working so far that I have tried.

A Horny G9

G9 Horny Morph 1.png
    2411 x 1018 - 407K
    edited February 2023

Dragovinian for Ravager Parasite for Genesis 8.1 Male - https://www.daz3d.com/dragovinian-for-ravager-parasite-for-genesis-81-male

Dragon Warrior Poses for the Dragovinian - https://www.daz3d.com/dragon-warrior-poses-for-the-dragovinian

Both of these had a few issues in Carrara

First of all it needs freebie Misty's preset - https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/88523/carrara-presets-for-genesis-81

For the Dragovinian install when the data file is loaded it has the morph set at 1 when it should be 0, so the data file needs to be adjusted otherwise the Genesis 8.1 figure will load with Dragovinian fully on.    Edit - Joe has issued an update

Dragovinian for Ravager Parasite has Horns/Teeth and a Tail that need to be converted to blended weight in DAZ Studio.

When the material file DUF is used it will come up with a Warning notice and then figure not found, so you will need to save the DUF files as Material Presets in DAZ Studio.

Dragon Warrior Poses - when the poses are applied they come up with an error message, poses will need to be saved as Pose Presets in DAZ Studio

When the blended weight horns/teeth are applied to the default pose they look to be in the correct spot, after the figure has been posed the horns/teeth are skewif from the correct position. Will need to be rotated/moved to match the pose position. EDIT - When I applied the HD Morph to the figure I was getting the Horns/Teeth skewif when posed, found a fix, when you export the obj of the figure for the HD Morph include the Horns/Teeth, poses work if they are included in this step !!!

Dragovinian for Ravager Parasite - has detail subdivision in DAZ Studio set to 2, when opened in Carrara it defaults to one, losing some of the default detail. I used Philemos excellent HD Morph plugin to bring in Level 2 subdivision. Note don't use Level 4 as I got an obj file larger than 700MB which refused to import into Carrara on my computer.

Also when the HD Morph is applied to the figure and poses where applied some severe distortion was occurring to the figure.

Apply the HD Morph after you apply the Material and Horns/Teeth to the figure.

Philemos HD Morph plugin - https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4532031/#Comment_4532031

G81 Dragovinian 12 Subdivision.png
    1600 x 2400 - 6M
    G81 Dragovinian 3 datafile.png
    1723 x 939 - 215K
    G81 Dragovinian 4.png
    2268 x 1030 - 464K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

DH3 update still not working..

stuffs up in DS when weight map converted frown

Screenshot 2023-02-26 141920.png
    791 x 737 - 131K
    edited February 2023

My update worked, but the blended weight issue not working on the bones is still a problem.

Edit - just checked DAZ Studio again and the blended weight conversion has caused a recessed tail on the horse !!!

DAZ Horse 3 1.png
    2278 x 1040 - 437K
    DAZ Horse 3 2.png
    2266 x 1029 - 405K
  • therixxtherixx Posts: 88

Everybody's talking Genesis9 and I have a V4 question. I must be terribly antiquate :-)
    I bought Aikaterine V4 by FWArt & -renapd- from Rendo. Body morphs do work, while face morph has no effect at all. I think body morphs are just normal dialed morphs while face is custom and was made, I read, with a tool by 3D Universe.
    But Aikaterine works properly in Daz Studio loading her from the same runtime used by Carrara.
    Anyone experienced the same? Thank you.

therixx said:

Everybody's talking Genesis9 and I have a V4 question. I must be terribly antiquate :-)
    I bought Aikaterine V4 by FWArt & -renapd- from Rendo. Body morphs do work, while face morph has no effect at all. I think body morphs are just normal dialed morphs while face is custom and was made, I read, with a tool by 3D Universe.
    But Aikaterine works properly in Daz Studio loading her from the same runtime used by Carrara.
    Anyone experienced the same? Thank you.

Hello therixx

I don't have that item, but on other figures when the morphs don't work in Carrara I save as either a character preset or a scene subset in DAZ Studio, then open that file in Carrara.

Have had problems with the Furballs item which I will do a workaround for after some more tests.

edited March 2023

https://www.daz3d.com/gumdrops-cupcake

https://www.daz3d.com/furballs-for-cupcake

Problem using the Furballs morphs in Carrara

1. Loaded the Furballs figure into Carrara, tried applying the Furball Faces morphs to the figure - nothing happened.

2. Tried applying a Body morph to figure, it worked.

3. Loaded the Furballs Tail figure into Carrara, tried applying the Furball Tails morphs to the figure - nothing happened.

4. Opened the Furball figure & tail in DAZ Studio, applied morphs - everything worked.

5. In DAZ Studio tried saving as a Character preset - Got Selection Error message "You must select a TriAx Weight Mapped figure in the scene to save a Character Preset."

6. In DAZ Studio tried saving as a Scene Subset - it worked.

7. Opened the Scene Subset file in Carrara - Face morph worked but lost the Body morphs, also Tail morph was lost.

8. In DAZ Studio tried exporting as a Poser CR2 file.

9. Opened the CR2 file in Carrara, problem in that only one item out of the Figure and Tail was being exported, otherwise the item that opened was working. Requires two exports to get the Figure and the Tail.

EDIT : Just tried some M4 poses and they worked !!!

Furballs 1.png
    2423 x 1030 - 414K
    Furballs 2.png
    2411 x 1018 - 360K
    Furballs 3.png
    2732 x 1035 - 719K
    Furballs 4.png
    2798 x 1038 - 536K
    Furballs 5.png
    1779 x 1943 - 784K

Thank you @Bunyip02, I think I tried the DS4 Character export with no success, but I didn't try your other suggestions. I'll try to play a bit with them and post here the outcome as soon as I can. :-)

Sherilynn, by Mousso.  This is a Genesis 8 Female figure but I applied her to G8.1F via the Gemini preset by Misty.  G8.1F does not work in Carrara by default, so the Character and all the attatchments were exported out of DS4.21 into a new folder as Figure/Prop Assets.  Make sure to set to base Res. and zero subd.and convert to Blended Weight before export.  The fiber Pubes, Brows and PeachFuzz take forever to load (projecting morphs), but they do load and conform as expected.

Capture2.JPG
    1918 x 1050 - 269K

ProPose said:

Sherilynn, by Mousso.  This is a Genesis 8 Female figure but I applied her to G8.1F via the Gemini preset by Misty.  G8.1F does not work in Carrara by default, so the Character and all the attatchments were exported out of DS4.21 into a new folder as Figure/Prop Assets.  Make sure to set to base Res. and zero subd.and convert to Blended Weight before export.  The fiber Pubes, Brows and PeachFuzz take forever to load (projecting morphs), but they do load and conform as expected.

Nice work !!!

edited March 2023

Hell Baron for Ravager Parasite for Genesis 8.1 Male - https://www.daz3d.com/hell-baron-for-ravager-parasite-for-genesis-81-male

When I loaded Misty's preset into Carrara, then looked at the Parameters tab to find the morph it was missing !

Checked in DAZ Studio and there was a dialable morph setting for it.

Closed down/opened Carrara a couple of times and reloaded Misty's preset each time - no joy .....

Decided to make a base morph of the character in DAZ Studio, which I did.

Then reopened Carrara and loaded Misty's preset, checked the Parameters for the morphs and presto the created morph was available !!!

G81 HellBaron 1 morph issue.png
    2273 x 1030 - 622K
    edited March 2023

That's generally what happens, using the Misty presets, you only get to see the Head morphs, none of the body morphs show up. That  is why I create a duplicate folder structure and after converting to blended weight I Save As...Support Asset...Figure/Prop Asset into your newly created folder.  Then load that into Carrara and you should have all the head and body parameter dials.  At least that's the way it works for me.

Edit to add.... this happens with G8.1 only.  G8 works normally with Misty's preset

Post edited by ProPose on

ProPose said:

That's generally what happens, using the Misty presets, you only get to see the Head morphs, none of the body morphs show up. That  is why I create a duplicate folder structure and after converting to blended weight I Save As...Support Asset...Figure/Prop Asset into your newly created folder.  Then load that into Carrara and you should have all the head and body parameter dials.  At least that's the way it works for me.

Edit to add.... this happens with G8.1 only.  G8 works normally with Misty's preset

The Support Asset trick worked for bringing in all of the morphs I had for G8.1. However the HellBaron morph is still missing in action apart from the morph that I created for it.

Another asset to be used, although I am starting to favour G9 now that I can transfer morphs across !!!

edited March 2023

Hi @Bunyip02 thank you for all the suggestions but I just cannot export Aikaterine in any way.
    I always end up with the naked skeleton and nothing else, like in other cases. Never understood why this happens when Carrara tries to open a .duf file.
    Maybe it's me but the DS4 poser export does not seem to write files anywhere...
    Only working option is Collada export: this takes Aikaterine mesh in Carrara with movable bones, but this is not a V4 anymore (body snatchers?) so does not take poses morphs, parameters, etc.
    Guess I'll give up... unless Poser 9 (which I own) has some way to get around the problem

Post edited by therixx on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited March 2023

therixx said:

Hi @Bunyip02 thank you for all the suggestions but I just cannot export Aikaterine in any way.
    I always end up with the naked skeleton and nothing else.
    Maybe it's me but the poser export does not seem to write files anywhere...
    Only working option is Collada export: this takes Aikaterine mesh in Carrara with movable bones, but this is not a V4 anymore (body snatchers?) so does not take pose smorpsh, parameters, etc.
    Guess I'll give up... unless Poser 9 (which I own) has some way to get around the problem

can you export her as an obj in DAZ studio and load her in as a morph, you should be able to reuse the slot allocated to her in the vertex room

or create a new morph in DAZ studio with morphloader

if keen use ExP exporter to create deltas to inject and remove

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited March 2023

therixx said:

I always end up with the naked skeleton and nothing else, like in other cases. Never understood why this happens when Carrara tries to open a .duf file.
    Maybe it's me but the DS4 poser export does not seem to write files anywhere...
    Only working option is Collada export: this takes Aikaterine mesh in Carrara with movable bones, but this is not a V4 anymore (body snatchers?) so does not take poses morphs, parameters, etc.

I have Poser 11.

Have you tried applying the morph in Poser, then saving as a CR2 figure ?

After applying the morph file in the Pose room

Step 1 - Make sure you have clicked on the Figures room

Step 2 - Click on the + icon to save the figure.

Morphed Poser file next to stock V4

Poser 11 morph cr2 file save.png
    1888 x 1043 - 488K
    Poser 11 morph cr2 file save 2.png
    2953 x 1043 - 1012K
    edited March 2023

Hi Bunyip02, Wendy and all. Thank you for the suggestions.
    Actually Poser9 saved the day, it seems.
    Open poser, load V4, apply the character, save the poser scene.
    I never thought this would work because I could not do it with DS and a .duf scene (as I said before, when I try that with a figure and open in Carrara I end up with the bones/skeleton and nothing else).
    Well, Carrara opened the Poser .pz3 scene without issues and from there I could handle Aikaterine as if she were loaded from the Carrara runtimes browser. Similar to what you suggested.
    It seems that the character takes morphs, poses, clothes. I could not do all my tests yet, but apparently it works properly.
    I'll go on with my experiments with this and other models and if something interesting comes out I will share it here...
    By the way, Aikaterine wants to greet you in the attached picture (but do not trust her too much: as you can see, she comes with vampire options)

AikaterineInCarrara01.jpg
    800 x 600 - 28K
    Post edited by therixx on

Hello Therixx - glad you found a method that works !!!

Thank you Bunyip02, I'll keep experimenting. Maybe I'll find out some other tip that could be useful not only to myself.

Ah, by the way, I see from you and Headwax that "Arch Cove" does not work properly even if it has a Carrara Version.
    Pity, I was going to get it, but not being able to move stuff with the move tool in it is a NO to me.
    I have Valle Alpina but I could not even try what Wendy says as my computer cannot handle the weight of the scene properly. Strange behaviours. But I believe in what Wendy says, of course.

edited March 2023

Number 10 - https://www.daz3d.com/number-10

Needs converting to Blended Weight in DAZ Studio

In Carrara the Parameter Dials don't work so you will have to individually select items in the Instances tab for the scene and rotate them.

Legs have a piston arrangement that does not work when rotated, you will have to manually select the piston components and rotate to suit the movement.

Number 10 issue 1.png
    2278 x 1035 - 476K
    Number 10 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
    edited March 2023

Repair Module - https://www.daz3d.com/repair-module

Does not come with the container that it is carrying.

Needs converting to Blended Weight in DAZ Studio

In Carrara the Parameter Dials don't work so you will have to individually select items in the Instances tab for the scene and rotate them.

Also glass, lights, fire need some shader work.

Repair module 1.png
    1600 x 1200 - 2M
  • I have bought Easy Environments Space. I know it does not say it will work in Carrara but I would like to use it if I can find a work around. The 3dl models load OK, but the problem seems to be with the textures/rendering. Any ideas please? Paul

I do not own EES, but It looks like the product contains options for Poser, 3DLight, Iray. No one renders correctly?
    https://www.daz3d.com/easy-environments-space
    Is there any useful information in the additional page by the author?
    http://flipmode3d.com/fmee-space-info/