Buy Something That Doesn't Work in Carrara? Post your Questions and Workarounds here. (please)

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026

Stezza said:

no matter what I save the eyeballs as I get an IO error .... all the other parts of it's head are ok... frownsurprise

That happened to me when I used the eyes that load with the Genesis 9 default figure load.  I was able to convert and use the eyes if I loaded then in Daz Studio separately from the anatomy folder.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

Stezza said:

no matter what I save the eyeballs as I get an IO error .... all the other parts of it's head are ok... frownsurprise

grab Bunyip's eyeball https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/a1/d320766f382f9f669e78f6caa3073d.zip 

was same for me including anatomy folder ones

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757

thanks all.. loading from the anatomy folder did the trick... the only other query is the tear thingy.... I can't find any texture map for it so just left it black! surprise

converting clothing seems to be an issue with some bits... and the supplied hair I dunno what to do with that.. just loads up a hair cap.. 

its a dforce strand hsir

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited October 2022

Stezza said:

thanks all.. loading from the anatomy folder did the trick... the only other query is the tear thingy.... I can't find any texture map for it so just left it black! surprise

converting clothing seems to be an issue with some bits... and the supplied hair I dunno what to do with that.. just loads up a hair cap.. 

The "tear thingy" has an opacity and normal map.

In Carrara I generally set it up the same as the Eye moisture and Cornea shading domains. Color is set to black or none, Transparency value set to 100%, And sometimes set refraction to water. I don't generally use the supplied maps

Tear.JPG
    234 x 133 - 13K
    Post edited by ProPose on

Playing with the Pixie Hair...No solutions so farangry

edited October 2022

ProPose said:

Playing with the Pixie Hair...No solutions so farangry

you can with line tessellation and PBR view enabled export it as an obj

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Converted figure to Prop, saved as figure/prop asset.  Loads into Carrara but looks like crap, hence no screen shot

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

I have a question about texturing OBJ's.

Every now and then I download an OBJ into Carrara that comes without textures.  However, it still has multiple shading zones that show up in the modeling and shader rooms.

I can load a basic color in any zone  The problem is, when I attempt to add a general texture or general bump map.  Basically, nothing happens.  If the texture is brown, it will show up as a vague brown color, but without any details of the texture.   Also, if I attempt to make a surface shiny, nothing happens in the render.  Same with reflection, even though it looks like there is reflection on the surface in the shader room and assembly room.  But it doesn't render.

However, if I put a Carrara native cellular value (for example) into the bump channel, I get a result.  In other words, some things work, and some don't.

Is this a UV issue?  Not surprised if it is, becasue there is a lot I don't understand about that topic.

look at the UV if it's a dot in the bottom left corner it has no UV mapping

What window do I look at the UV in?

And if it has no UV mapping, can I do this in Carrara?  To my knowledge, Phil did not cover this in the basic course.

edited January 2023

vertex room third tab on right, I would upload a picture but ...

I have never watched PhilW's videos blush might be able to find an online link to the manual page

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

There are a couple of UV Mapping threads.  Here is one.  I miss Misty.  

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/52283/uvmapping-editor-seam-pin-cut-stitch/p1

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 179

PhilW has covered UV mapping in the Advanced Carrara Techniques course. Four vidoes in chapter 2 ('UV Mapping") and a few more in other chapters.

Thank you all.  I am now sufficiently boggled. surprise

Looking for a different model. :)

UnifiedBrain said:

you can apply a quick UV, box or spherical not bad in a pinch 

I may try that later. yes

Right now I have decided to just apply Carrara procedurals to the OBJ parts I like (works fairly well), and kitbash the rest with a different model that has UV's.

WendyLuvsCatz said:

UnifiedBrain said:

you can apply a quick UV, box or spherical not bad in a pinch 

Well, I'll be darned.  I picked a domain, applied the box, and it worked!

I'm still stumbling around, not knowing what I don't know, and not even attempting an elegant layout.  But now I have a lot more options.

Thanks for the tip. yes

I've got another issue, this time regarding the need to upgrade to DS 4.21

I wanted to load a Genesis 8.1 figure in DS.  The instructions say that you - at least - need DS 4.15 to make this work.  I have 4.12, but thought I would try it anyway.

So I try it, and then find out that the Genesis 8 male and female starter essentials need to be uninstalled and re-installed, as they contain the 8.1 morphs.  No problem, thinks me.  What harm could it do?

I go ahead and uninstall both in DIM, and attempt to reinstall.  However, only the female essentials will install.  The male one says "install failed!"

It appears that Daz is now linking the Genesis 8 male essentials to DS 4.21.  In other words, you MUST install 4.21 to get the Genesis 8 male essentials.

So, I apparently can no longer use DS for Genesis 8 male characters - unless I change to DS 4.21.

The question is, is it safe for me to change to DS 4.21?  I assume that several of you have done it, considering (I think) that it is a requirement for Genesis 9.

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance!

PS - the forum is borking so bad that it took me three tries just to post this.

I have 4.21 installed... but don't use it and Carrara is working fine.

if that helps any .. 

1st try post yes

Appreciated!

Do you use DS 4.21 as a Carrara plugin, or do you just not use it at all?  Or do you have more than one DS version installed, and use a different DS version as a Carrara plugin?

• I am not aware of any link to the DS version installed in the Starter Essentials install- it sounds more like a glitch or package error.

edited January 2023

It is an assumption based on the fact that G8M starter essentials will not download by itself, and the fact that G8M starter essentials is part of the download "default install sets" for DS 4.21, which can be seen when you first open DIM.

You can't select the Genesis 8 male starter package.  There is no box next to it.  But it unselects if you unselect the 4.21 part.

DIM link.JPG
    505 x 384 - 42K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

UnifiedBrain said:

Appreciated!

Do you use DS 4.21 as a Carrara plugin, or do you just not use it at all?  Or do you have more than one DS version installed, and use a different DS version as a Carrara plugin?

just use it as a plugin

last I used it was for the new horse to convert for Carrara... didn't work. the conversion that is.. frown 

OK, thanks Stezza. I seem to remember that you were a bit hesitant to use newer DS versions?

Hope others chip in as well.  It is possible (probable) that my concerns are not reasonable.

I have Daz Stduio 4.21 installed.  Generally, it has not interfered with my use of Carrara.  I am most likely to use the two together if I am using the Studio transfer utility, converting something to blended weight, or similar.  I have had some problems in both Daz Studio and Carrara, but am reasonably confident those problems are not related to 4.21.  Instead, my problems started when I had a hard drive die and I transferred my backup to a new drive with a new drive letter.  Mostly little things like a texture map not being found on default load, and having to be loaded manually.  Occasionally a more serious issue.

I was an early adopter of Genesis 9, but am back to Genesis 2 in Carrara (or my silly figures), and Genesis 8 in Studio - unless the situation calls for a Rawart monstrosity of some sort. 

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524
    edited January 2023

Have the DAZ Studio 4.21 (64-bit) Public Build +BETA+ installed.

Mainly use 4.10 but also use 4.21 when using things like Scripts that require the latest build.

Happily using all of the figures, using the figure that corresponds with the clothes I am using.

Use DAZ Studio as a Plugin for Carrara !!!

DAZSudio421 1.png
    2443 x 1028 - 521K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

Thank you Diomede and Bunyip.  I'm getting more confident. :)

Bunyip, why do you mainly use 4.10?  Do you have that version and the newest one on the same machine?  Are they both pointed to the same database?

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

UnifiedBrain said:

Thank you Diomede and Bunyip.  I'm getting more confident. :)

Bunyip, why do you mainly use 4.10?  Do you have that version and the newest one on the same machine?  Are they both pointed to the same database?

Hello UB

I mainly use 4.10 as I have found it the most stable on my machine. There were also reports of various elements stopped working on the latest build, as 4.10 was happily doing what I requested of it I left it as my main DAZ Studio program.

The 4.21 Beta can be installed on the same machine, so that is what I did to access the latest and greatest plugins/scripts that need 4.21.

Yes both 4.10 and 4.21 Beta on my machine are pointed to the same database. However to use morphs from Genesis 8 with Genesis 8.1 they need to be copied over from Genesis 8.

Thanks Bunyip!  I don't quite understand the last part about copying morphs, but I will ask that question if I come to it.

In the meantime, I have figured out how to unlink 4.21 from G8M essentials.  I reloaded the essentials, and now can once again load G8M into DS.  So, I'm back to "normal."

Still pondering the 4.21 install.