Carrara Challenge #65 - Turning Points - Stills, Comics, and Animations Accepted

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221

Very Cool!!!

edited December 2022

I am rendering the first part of the first part of my first entry. 

With Jonstark being so generous, I'm using one of his hairstyles. Rendering Gamma Correction = 2.2 makes Carrara's dynamic hair look silly. Too bright and glowy. To correct this, I multiplied all of the colors from both colors and highlights by something just like themselves but darker - sometimes (not this time) desaturated a bit too. It was a little too transparent against this bright sky from a distance, so I also increased the hair size to a value of 1, while retaining the Medium scale. This stuff is really nicely set up and easy to work with. I love that it comes grown onto a conforming, invisible bust!

Our camera is coming around from behind the ship, making a large 120 degree orbit which ends up a closeup of his face. Just having him stuck in one position that whole time would be unacceptable. It would also look silly if his hands were sliding around. So I added an IK Chain for each arm and animated his body and head. The ship is also flying as are the two (so far) render cameras.

I don't really want to spill out how this fits the theme - but trust me... it does. (I really like this hair!)

More WIP to come with screen shots and techniques I'm using. For now, here's one frame from the first slew of renders:

Post edited by Dartanbeck on

This is a good example of why I love using Genesis 1 so much - just being the one figure for all shapes.

This is a guy. The closer we get to him, this becomes even more obvious, features-wise. Using Genesis Generations X2, I added a whole bunch of morphs from the whole V4 family - mostly for animating subtle nuances into Rosie. Make her really come alive. Those morphs came as adjustments to a Female figure, but they just tweak what's already there, so most if not All of them work for Males too. So cool!

I made the mistake of setting up all of my shaders forgetting that I didn't start with a Basic Male (M4 UV Maps) character load, so I had a surpise when I got done setting up my shaders. The quick fix I chose was to name all of my edited shaders to easy to identify names, then went to my My Daz 3d Library and loaded a Basic Male material preset intended for use in Daz Studio. Doing this is the only way I know of to swap UV sets on Genesis in Carrara. Now that I have the correct UV mapping for my shaders, I just drag them into place and get rid of all the unused ones.

Hope this makes sense. If there's something in here you'd like to know more about, let me know.

TurnPoint01CH01a000.png
    1280 x 720 - 802K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,077
    edited December 2022

Dartanbeck said:

With Jonstark being so generous, I'm using one of his hairstyles. Rendering Gamma Correction = 2.2 makes Carrara's dynamic hair look silly. Too bright and glowy. To correct this, I multiplied all of the colors from both colors and highlights by something just like themselves but darker - sometimes (not this time) desaturated a bit too. It was a little too transparent against this bright sky from a distance, so I also increased the hair size to a value of 1, while retaining the Medium scale. This stuff is really nicely set up and easy to work with. I love that it comes grown onto a conforming, invisible bust!

Our camera is coming around from behind the ship, making a large 120 degree orbit which ends up a closeup of his face. Just having him stuck in one position that whole time would be unacceptable. It would also look silly if his hands were sliding around. So I added an IK Chain for each arm and animated his body and head. The ship is also flying as are the two (so far) render cameras.

I don't really want to spill out how this fits the theme - but trust me... it does. (I really like this hair!)

More WIP to come with screen shots and techniques I'm using. For now, here's one frame from the first slew of renders:

Fantastic!!!

Very exciting to see how you do your projects.  Thanks for sharing your know-how.

Looks amazing already.  Can't wait to see more.

Post edited by Diomede on
    edited December 2022

WIP: My Project #2 - Books and Magazines

Free Carrara Magazine Model Attached in Zip File

A book or magazine spine is a turning point.  Learning to read and write is a turning point.  Reading a particularly meaningful book or magazine can be a turning point.  Stories in books and magazines have turning points.

I have modeled a Carrara magazine as the centerpice of my second project, and to share with folks for their enoyment.  It can be posed and animated.  It has a few morphs to change its apect ratio and you can easily create your own.  I will post more detail in my 'No One Asked Me' thread.  Images created with this Carrara book and magazine prop are free to people for any use, commercial or personal.  Adjust it any way you like.  Just don't sell the mesh/figure as your own.  

Key Features:

(1) Apply Your Own Cover and Page Images - Following an old tip by TimA / TangoAlpha, I have UVMapped the cover and the pages as a square.  That way you can apply any image of any size to the default shader and then morph the book size to fit the aspect ratio.  

(2) Animate Opening Cover and Turning Pages - The cover and the pages have been rigged so that they can be posed and animated.  The same basic model and skeleton has been used for the cover and for the pages to make it easier to coordinate turning different sections.

(3) Page Inserts - The magazine comes in three parts.  There is the wrapping, which includes the front cover, spine, and back cover.  The front and back covers of the wrapping can be posed separately and have separate images applied. The wrapping is paper thin.  There is a paper thin insert page which can be posed and have its own image.  Insert more to turn multiple pages.  There is a thick page insert, the back of which can be used for the left hand side of an open book.  The thickness can be adjusted with a morph.

Adventures in Carrara.png
    800 x 800 - 271K
    Book Promo Aspect Ratios.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 252K
    zip
    zip
    DioBook Carrara Update 2 Challenge 65.zip
    edited December 2022

Please let me know if there is anything wrong with the magazine freebie.  For example, do the pages turn?  Do the size morphs work?  Can you apply your own image?

EDIT:  I updated the ZIP file with a few more morphs.  The forum was having problems so there was a stretch of time with no ZIP file.

EDIT 2: Find an explanation of how to use the model with your own custom covers and contents, with an example, in my 'No One Asked Me' thread here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7923826/#Comment_7923826

• Diomede said:

Dartanbeck said:

Fantastic!!!

Very exciting to see how you do your projects.  Thanks for sharing your know-how.

@ Dartanbeck

Just a random thought that keeps bugging me so I'll post it.  This scene by itself tweaks a memory from lo these many years ago (maybe 1965).  I'm not even sure I'm remembering the description correctly, but the ship and character are how I pictured the mid-sized airships from the Edgar Rice Burroughs "John Carter of Mars" series.  Just pop in a red desert background and try different gels on the light and it's there (I can picture it that way} or add two moons for a night version.

Random I know but sometimes it's nice to know your art has communicated on some level (even if it's my um... "eclectic".. vision}.  Well done.  Brings back good memories from a simpler time.

• Diomede said:

Dartanbeck said:

Fantastic!!!

+2

A new animation from Dart may indeed be a turning point of inspiratrion for those of us who are contemplating going down that path.

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited January 2023

Some jobs are just too big for the elves!

A big turning point in my life was the creation and development of Carrara.  Without that, I wouldn't be posting here, and also (likely) much less involved with 3D art.  Thus the fantasy metaphor.

G8 Sagatto is Santa.  The elves are G2 Smay characters.  Smay has designed some amazing products over the years.

The beard is G3 Santa Beard.  Some of the render background includes The Village Blacksmith, an old product (SKU 3999) that I had never used.  Much to my surprise, it had normal maps!

Carrara has some great tools -

Christmas tree - entirely Carrara, including plant editor and vertex editor - and the top ornament is the snowflke in the object library.

Santa bushy eyebrows - Carrara hair.  I looked and looked for good eyebrows, and finally realized that I could make them myself.

Main scene lighting - Carrara lens flare.

Sparks - Carrara particle generator.

NO GI, but render time was long-ish, about 27 minutes on a 24 bucket machine.  Soft lighting on hair can take some time.  Also, I had to put the main secondary light shadow controls on "best" to avoid some splotches.

No postwork, but a lot of post effects such as lens flare and GMIC.  During creation, I used the spot render tool a lot to see those effects.  Here is what the final render looked like before the post effects:

Some jobs are just too big.png
    1600 x 1318 - 4M
    Some jobs Carrara setup.JPG
    1608 x 1016 - 234K
    Some jobs before post effects.JPG
    1350 x 1068 - 262K
    Some Jobs need Carrara hair.png
    1600 x 1318 - 4M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,800

awesome Santa @UnifiedBrain

yes

if I was to be picky I reckon white Carrara fur on Santa's cap would look heaps betterer wink

but that's just me being picky .. top render smiley

Diomede said:

Please let me know if there is anything wrong with the magazine freebie.  For example, do the pages turn?  Do the size morphs work?  Can you apply your own image?

EDIT:  I updated the ZIP file with a few more morphs.  The forum was having problems so there was a stretch of time with no ZIP file.

EDIT 2: Find an explanation of how to use the model with your own custom covers and contents, with an example, in my 'No One Asked Me' thread here.  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7923826/#Comment_7923826

thanks @Diomede for the prop...

been trying it out but have difficulties working out pages and covers and putting images on them and then to set it all back to zero  ... I feel new users to Carrara would struggle with it..  or maybe it's just me not following the workings properly... indecision

yes

• santa is ripped heart

Diomede said:

WIP #1 - Edmund Dantes Retrieves the Treasure in Count of Monte Cristo

Having a lot of trouble with the props for this one.  Very disappointed in some otherwise good Daz Published Artists.  The treasure chests and the treasure bags have only one material zone and one shader.  No differentiation for the contents.  Will probably try to fix in post rather than do more renders.  I have attached the raw render and the scene setup.  I put volumetric clouds in the distance then shined some different colored spotlights backwards to get the dawn effect.  Michael 6 with some Carrara hair grown directly on the mesh.

great render @Diomede... but just wondering how he fitted into that small boat ... cool

love the atmosphere and posing.. awesome yes

Headwax said:

The Day Zelda Realised She Was A Real Witch

wow.. really scared the s%$# out of her I reckon... scared me !  surprise

edited December 2022

the Hair Cut

The turning point happens on the 23rd December when Santa gets all the naughty elves and cuts their hair off for Mrs Clause to bleach and make into the furry trims on Santa's suit.. to be ready for Christmas Day!
    because elf hair is magical.. 

Used Carrara hair on trims and elf's head

the Hair Cut.jpg
    900 x 675 - 449K
    haircut_wip.jpg
    1499 x 799 - 278K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,690

Dartanbeck said:

Glad to see you up and running Dart !!!

Diomede said:

WIP: My Project #2 - Books and Magazines

Free Carrara Magazine Model Attached in Zip File

A book or magazine spine is a turning point.  Learning to read and write is a turning point.  Reading a particularly meaningful book or magazine can be a turning point.  Stories in books and magazines have turning points.

I have modeled a Carrara magazine as the centerpice of my second project, and to share with folks for their enoyment.  It can be posed and animated.  It has a few morphs to change its apect ratio and you can easily create your own.  I will post more detail in my 'No One Asked Me' thread.  Images created with this Carrara book and magazine prop are free to people for any use, commercial or personal.  Adjust it any way you like.  Just don't sell the mesh/figure as your own.  

Key Features:

(1) Apply Your Own Cover and Page Images - Following an old tip by TimA / TangoAlpha, I have UVMapped the cover and the pages as a square.  That way you can apply any image of any size to the default shader and then morph the book size to fit the aspect ratio.  

(2) Animate Opening Cover and Turning Pages - The cover and the pages have been rigged so that they can be posed and animated.  The same basic model and skeleton has been used for the cover and for the pages to make it easier to coordinate turning different sections.

(3) Page Inserts - The magazine comes in three parts.  There is the wrapping, which includes the front cover, spine, and back cover.  The front and back covers of the wrapping can be posed separately and have separate images applied. The wrapping is paper thin.  There is a paper thin insert page which can be posed and have its own image.  Insert more to turn multiple pages.  There is a thick page insert, the back of which can be used for the left hand side of an open book.  The thickness can be adjusted with a morph.

Bring on the adventures !!!

UnifiedBrain said:

Some jobs are just too big for the elves!

A big turning point in my life was the creation and development of Carrara.  Without that, I wouldn't be posting here, and also (likely) much less involved with 3D art.  Thus the fantasy metaphor.

G8 Sagatto is Santa.  The elves are G2 Smay characters.  Smay has designed some amazing products over the years.

The beard is G3 Santa Beard.  Some of the render background includes The Village Blacksmith, an old product (SKU 3999) that I had never used.  Much to my surprise, it had normal maps!

Santa has been working out and avoiding eating too much Christmas Pudding and Cake !!! Nice render !

Stezza said:

the Hair Cut

The turning point happens on the 23rd December when Santa gets all the naughty elves and cuts their hair off for Mrs Clause to bleach and make into the furry trims on Santa's suit.. to be ready for Christmas Day!

Love it !!!

Me - will be getting back into my animation after New Year is over !!!

Very Cool Stuff going on here!!!

Thanks for the compliments. Alas... trying to keep the internet on is becoming difficult so I'm disappearing once again. Hope to be back in time to compete

You lot do some beautiful and amazing renders! Bravo!

• Thank you for the comments, Stezza, Wendy, and Bunyip!

Stezza said:

yes

if I was to be picky I reckon white Carrara fur on Santa's cap would look heaps betterer wink

I appreciate the suggestion.  Yes, I thought about it, but I am slower in working with Carrara hair than you, and wanted to get it in before Christmas.  Also had two other "Christmas muscle" renders in the fire. smiley

It is still a WIP, and I might revisit later.

• Stezza said:

the Hair Cut

That is one nasty Santa!  Nice hair trim, though. yes

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2022

Santa's Annual Turning Point

Twas the night after Christmas

Where Santa undressed

On an Adelaide beach

For a well-deserved rest!

A small tribute to the Aussies who support Carrara. yes

Went old-school, with Freak 3 and V3.  Carrara sun and realistic sky.  My Beach for the land and sea props.  Santa Beard for G3 again, but a different hat (Santa Baby).  And cutouts. :)

No postwork.

Santas Annual Turning Point.png
    1800 x 1200 - 3M
    Santas Annual Carrara Setup.JPG
    1639 x 957 - 236K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • he is like a bouncy castle wink

WendyLuvsCatz said:

he is like a bouncy castle wink

so you'd like to jump on him? devil 

Stezza said:

yes

+1

Stezza said:

Diomede said:

thanks @Diomede for the prop...

been trying it out but have difficulties working out pages and covers and putting images on them and then to set it all back to zero  ... I feel new users to Carrara would struggle with it..  or maybe it's just me not following the workings properly... indecision

yes

Yeah, you are correct.  Not easy to use despite my efforts.  Thanks for the feedback.  

Bunyip02 said:

Stezza said:

the Hair Cut

Love it !!!

+1